Final: Raiders 27, Hawks 24

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 3, 2010 at 1:07 am with 19 Comments »
September 3, 2010 1:23 am

Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll chose to sit several key starters in order to make sure they were healthy for next week.

Check out the stats from tonight’s game here.

They included QB Matt Hasselbeck, DB Marcus Trufant, RB Leon Washington, SS Lawyer Milloy, LB Lofa Tatupu, LB Leroy Hill, LB David Hawthorne, LB Aaron Curry, OT Chester Pitts, OT Ray Willis, OT Russell Okung, WR Deion Branch, WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, TE Chris Baker, TE Anthony McCoy, TE John Carlson, DE Kentwan Balmer and DE Nick Reed

“We prepared like we were getting ready to play, and then we let guys know who was going and who wasn’t for the most part,” Carroll said. “And hopefully that will work out for us.”

Carroll did play the starting offensive line for at least a half, with Mansfield Wrotto working at left tackle, Mike Gibson working at left guard, Chris Spencer working at center, Max Unger working at right guard and Sean Locklear working at left tackle.

The second unit offensive line included Wrotto, Steve Vallos at left guard, Ben Hamilton at center, Mitch Erickson at right guard, and Tyler Polumbus at right tackle.

The only injury Carroll had to report was cornerback Cord Parks hurt his shoulder on one of his kickoff returns. Parks finished with 141 return yards, including a long of 54 yards.

And Louis Rankin had a 99-yard return for a score in the third quarter.

Even though Seattle finished 1-3 in preseason play, Carroll believes his team is ready.

“Tons and tons of stuff have happened in these four weeks,” Carroll said. “And we’ve learned so much, but we have a long ways to go and plenty of football left. So we have a chance to play great ball as the season starts.”

Receiver Deon Butler had another good game, finishing with seven catches for 85 yards, including a 26-yard touchdown.

“Deon Butler was really on fire tonight,” Carroll said. “He’s had a great season. He is by far the most improved player on the offensive side of the ball. He really is a factor, and I’m really excited about that.”

Butler said he’s just feels more comfortable in his second season.

“Now that I went through a season I know I can do it,” Butler said. “So now it’s more about being comfortable and making plays. I’m more comfortable out there and not as uptight as I was last year. So I’m more relaxed and just letting the game come to me.”

Along with resting key starters, Carroll said it was important for Charlie Whitehurst to get the start and work at least a half. Whitehurst finished 11 of 22 for 210 yards and a touchdown, finishing with a passer rating of 98.7. Whitehurst had three completions of 30 yards or more, showing nice touch and placement on the deep ball.

“I felt we made some good plays down the field,” Whitehurst said. “I thought that some of the deep balls were nice catches. I know Deon Butler made a nice catch on his. So it makes it easier for the play caller to call those plays when you make it down field.”

Carroll liked the way Whitehurst played.

“Charlie had a great preseason for us, save for a couple picks that he threw,” Carroll said. “He really had a very good preseason. And he’s Seahawk now. He knows what he’s doing. And he understands that he can run the offense. And we feel very confident that he can come in and help us if we need him.”

Carroll said in terms of the running back rotations, he didn’t want to put Leon Washington back out there coming off the compound fracture with the short week, so Julius Jones and Justin Forsett got most of the carries. Jones finished with 18 yards on six carries, while Forsett finished with 31 yards on six carries.

With Josh Wilson being traded to Baltimore two days ago, rookie Walter Thurmond played a lot against Oakland.

“He learned some stuff tonight,” Carroll said about rookie Walter Thurmond, who got the start at cornerback with Marcus Trufant resting. “He has really played a bunch of plays. He’s played more than any of the corners. We really are excited about him. We wanted to just get him out there and play a bunch of football. A lot of stuff that we can look at and evaluate and learn from. And we’re counting on him to play here.

Thurmond said that even though he got beat a couple times, he understand that is going to happen at this elite level of competition, and the most important thing to do is forget about it and concentrate on the next play.

“It’s very important, especially at this level of competition,” Thurmond said. “Everyone is really good. And so if you keep lingering on the last play, you’re going to mess up on your technique and mess up on the coverage. And you can’t let that happen.”

General Seahawks
  1. Ewalters7354 says:

I really hope they give Tyler Polumbus that start at left tackle over Wrotto.He was playing left tackle this year while Ryan Clady was injured and is familiar with Jeremy Bates offense.If we have Wrotto starting against San Fran,its gonna be a long day.The guy gets penalty after penalty,causes our offense to be conservative with the play calling,and so on.If they don’t do something about that,we can go ahead and mark a wk 1 as a lost.

This was Thurmond’s worst game of the preseason. Of course he played more last night so that may factor into it. But he got turned around a couple of times.

JJ did not help his case last night. I think he’ll be cut.

CW is odd to me. He throws a beautiful deep ball, with touch or on line, but he can’t hit a RB on swing pass to save his life. Overall, nice game last night.

Ewalters7354 – Sounds like Okung will be ready for San Francisco.

Looks like Seattle has some interest in Derrick Ward.

4. Soggybuc says:

Run D is looking solid. I like that alot. yea Thurmond had a few rookie moments for sure but the only way to get past that is to let him play.
    I think CW will be fine and once the season starts the firsts will get better as they start to gel. the ZBS is going to take a few weeks I just wish more fans understood the fact that football is HARD, winning football is VERY HARD! we will not march down the field for a TD every possesion we will not go 3 and out everytime either. the amount of “omg it’s 6 minutes gone in the first quarter and we are not ahead by 21 with 8 sacks and 3 picks this team sucks” mentality is mind boggling.

5. bird_spit says:

Derrick Ward. What a terrible idea.

6. bird_spit says:

The 3 and outs are becoming to normal for a 1st Q. I realize it was pre-season football, but Bates needs a damn good plan for the 1st Q or it will be a long season.

7. pabuwal says:

Julius Jones is the worst 2 year starting RB in the history of the franchise – I don’t understand why he is still even on the team.

Another Tim Ruskell specialty!

It’s not even close. He makes Chris Warren look like Walter Payton. (I hated Chris Warren) JJ tries and runs hard but he simply isn’t good.

9. Louis Rankin might have just given Carroll the comfort factor he needed to cut Julius Jones. I really thought Jones would show a lot more this preseason under Bates, but now I think he’s done.

Yes, Walter Thurmond did have his worst game, but also his only game starting from the first quarter. He looked bigger and tougher in bump-and-run than either Jennings or Wilson can, I thought, but mentally he isn’t ready to cover starting WRs. He needs to play in the slot for a while and learn the game. It looks like Jennings will be starting at CB for awhile instead of Thurmond. Trufant had better stay healthy this year or our DBs will get carved up.

I would bet Schneider will target some CB who gets cut this week. I don’t see how Roy Lewis has earned the 4th CB roster spot.

The right side of the O line (Spencer-Unger-Locklear) had their best game I thought. Once Okung gets back in there, I have some hope for this group.

Once again, almost nothing from the TEs in the pass offense. I’m betting that as soon as Okung has LT locked down, Jeremy Bates will unleash TE-heavy game plans unlike anything we’ve seen in preseason.

10. pabuwal says:

I don’t know how fixable this Whitehurst short to medium range problem is. Relying on the big play constantly doesn’t win football games consistently.

I haven’t watched the game yet, but did Whitehurst actually go through progressions and read the defense or did he always look and throw at the primary WR? His completion % would indicate it was the latter.

It’s hard to know for certain if a guy is really going through his reads, unless there is a ton of time in the pocket. That said, it seemed pretty obvious that he was looking off the safety on some of the deeper throws (not all of course). On the swing passes my feeling was that most of them were check downs. All but the one to Forsett after he got him blown up, they went right back to it to get him to hit Forsett in the numbers (and he still was high).

He was only 50%, so I’m not sure any conclusions can be drawn off of that.

If I had to guess, I’d say he’s trying to use too much finesse on the shorter throws. It’s fixable, I’m sure. The constant is that nearly all of those throws are high. If he were all over the place, that might be more difficult.

12. williambryan says:

I’ve been on the whitehurst bandwagon since preseason game 1, and I still am. I’m okay with Hass starting for now but if he underpeforms against sanfran, i hope carroll has a quick trigger to make the change. I am very impressed with Wrotto. He might have a few penalties and get beat a few times but everyone does. Locklear is way more of a liability than Wrotto has been this preseason. I also think Rankins good play has to make it harder for jones to make the team. Forsett, waashington, gainther, and rankin can all contribute on special teams. i am expecting the team to only carry four backs and jones and schmitt will be left out. rankin may be left out if they bring some one else in (hopefully not ward…) I am really hoping obomanu makes the team. he was going to breakout Holmgrens last year but had the broken shoulder which derailed everything. he is just a solid, solid, solid receiver.

13. BenderHawkFan says:

Just curious what your guys’ thoughts on Vjax are. Product of a good O, or a guy who would make a difference even in a questionable offense?

I was super skeptical when we signed Housh for the same reasons, but Vjax seems like a different talent all together…and younger to boot.

So what would you be willing to give up to get him?

14. Tigloki says:

I don’t know how much this sort of thing goes on in reality, but I *pray* that our running game has been playing possum and will leap out and startle the crap out of some defensive coordinators.

Here’s my dream: The 49ers are first, and only casually stress run defense and focus on pass rush and pass defense. The Hawks burn them for 200 yards on the ground in the first half and are up 17-0 at the half. The 49ers focus on the rush much more in the second half and we go pas heavy for the rest of the game and finish 31-10.

The Broncos are next, and they know and respect Bates and Gibbs and are effective at shutting down the run, we beat them 21-14 through the air, using our good defense and good special teams. Our run game remains under the radar, and the first half of game 1 is widely considered a fluke and the 49ers D gets the blame.

The chargers, seeing our last six quarters as primarily an air attack, fail to focus on the run and we unleash the hounds. 300+ yards rushing later, and we blow them out 28-0!

The Rams don’t know what to think and game plan erratically and play worse. 31-3 Seahawks.

Then comes the bye, and we have a good start to the season, are no longer hiding our secret run game, and roll through the rest of the AFC West, the rest of the NFC West, and finish 12-4 and retake the division :)

15. bayareahawkfan says:

I don’t have the link handy, but looks like cutting LenWhale is looking smarter and smarter – he’s out for the season with a ruptured Achilles…

16. Lendale White ruptured his Achilles tendon last night. Ouch.

17. IdahoHawk says:

A good coach (Bates) makes average players look good. Cant be any worse than last year and the year before that and the year before that. (OR COULD IT..)

18. I have to say I like the deep balls.