Morning links: Jobs on the line

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 2, 2010 at 10:04 am with 20 Comments »
September 2, 2010 10:44 am

Hey folks. Headed to Oakland this morning and will be at the game blogging this evening, so make sure you join the chat tonight if you’re watching the game.

My story today zeros in on two players likely on the bubble in receiver Ben Obomanu and linebacker Tyuan Hagler.

For Obomanu, this has become a regular routine heading into the final preseason game, as he has been one of the last, few receivers fighting for a job ever since Seattle drafted him in the seventh round five years ago.

Hagler also is a veteran who spent his first five years in Indianapolis and is now battling for a job in Seattle.

Doug Farrar of Yahoo Sports continues his series on running back Justin Forsett, detailing the team’s struggles running the ball in the preseason.

Cornberback Josh Wilson says he’s looking forward to playing behind Baltimore’s defensive front seven, and traveled with the team to St. Louis for the Ravens’ final preseason game.

Wilson talks to KJR’s Dave “Softy” Mahler about being traded to Baltimore in this audio link.

Seahawks general manager John Schneider joins ESPN 710 Seattle’s Brock Huard and Mike Salk in this audio link.

Greg Johns of profiles veteran safety Lawyer Milloy, who still brings the thunder on the field.

Ben Malcolmson of details Hall of Fame receiver Jerry Rice’s surprise visit with the Seahawks last night in Oakland.

Clare Farnsworth of writes that receiver Mike Williams is making up for lost time.

Matt Bowen of the National Football Post details what rookies need to do in the final preseason game.

The Seahawks are ranked No. 29 overall in USA Today’s NFL power rankings.

Morning links
  1. How much will Losman and Whitehurst play tonight?

I figure this is Whitehurst’s last shot to prove he can be a QB of the future and a number 2 QB and Losman’s last shot to prove he can belong in the NFL before the Seahawks bring Leinart aboard this weekend as the #2/QB of the future.

2. snydro22 says:

“and is not battling for a job in Seattle.”

I think that should read, “now.”

3. azhawkman says:

I don’t think we need Obo on this roster anymore unless they end up dumping or dealing Branch or Butler or something. I don’t think either is likely with Butler’s value and potential and Branch has had a good camp and preseason and has too high a price tag to find someone desperate enough to take on the 5 million/year. Hagler played like a beast at times and could fill a good role on special teams as well.

4. Is there a rule that prevents the Seahawks, or Vulcan for that matter, from employing an active player in some capacity where they are not counted on the roster? Say as the receptionist, or VP in charge of badassery? Sneaky way to keep a low demand 3rd QB in the fold.

5. snydro22 says:

Neither the players union nor the player would agree to that arrangement.

Obo’s value is on special teams as well. Alex Bannister was never a top 5 or 6 receiver for the Hawks, but he had a place on the team. Unfortunately he didn’t have a collarbone by the time he left..

6. So what you are saying is you think come Sunday that Charlie Whitehurst will be both the Seahawks backup QB and the receptionist at the VMAC?

Hmm, don’t think that will fly.

7. Great idea…except I”m not sure I would put Hass, Whitey, or Losman in charge of “badassery”.

8. I wish I was the VP of badassery.

/kicks can

I think a player would, if he didn’t have any other real prospects. Kurt Warner bagged groceries ferchrissakes. If Losman were cut I don’t think he’d have much other opportunity, and if someone did come calling, he’s not under contract, he just quits his “job”.

I can see the NFL having a problem with it, but if they don’t have a rule yet…

9. ljarllrajl says:

Schneider’s interview was interesting. I thought his comment about competing with the whole rest of the league gives me the impression that he means competing in the front offices as well as on the field.

10. snydro22 says:

I think anyone who is still questioning the move should listen to the Schneider interview. It’s very telling, and he’s very direct towards the end. The interview starts at the 20 minute mark..

snydro22 – Shouldn’t you be helping with bubble wrap today, or something? ;)

I actually feel some better about the Wilson trade after listening to Schneider.

It will be fun to watch Hagler lay fools out tonight. He has had some big hits this summer and knowing that this is an “audition” for the rest of the league if he should happen to not make it here, I expect to see him flying around the field.

And yes, Obo is in his natural habitat, the bubble. I’d expect to see the same thing out of him we always get; good special teams play and a tough catch or two over the middle. To me, he’s strictly a numbers guy. If nothing else changes, his making it comes down to whether the keep 5 or 6.

12. footballscaa says:

The Hawks are ranked 29th? How did they get ranked so high? A bit of a stretch.

13. snydro22 says:

Duke, we’ve pushed our move date back. Our buyers are having issues with their FHA loan and are trying to get creative. There’s a good chance they switch lenders, which means a new appraisal, so we extended closing to the 15th for now. Crossing our fingers that we aren’t carrying two mortgages for too long.

So this game tonight will be a welcome break from the stress in the Snyder household!

My parents went through that several years ago. Hang in there. Does this mean you’ll be at the season opener…

15. IBGoofy says:

Gotta admit, a bit better feeling after hearing Schneider in that interview also… (nice insert Snydro and Duke comment)… a potential late fifth rd pick (real CLOSE to an early sixth rd pick) for a starter just bothers me a lot… From a ‘need’ & ‘move forward’ aspect, I understand the position move part… it has some logic… we actually may have a linebacker in a like position…. and that wouldn’t hurt us badly either….

16. snydro22 says:

We certainly have a WR in the same position, but unfortunately his guaranteed money will prevent a trade..

17. IBGoofy says:

Snydro… Got conned by one of the top realtor’s in my area, ‘way back’ in upper NYS….. 2 mortgages…. Hope from here it doesn’t last long for you and family… I had 2 little ones and one on the way at the time… lotsa stress…
    BTW… You just added to my “wanna” pot! I have Snyder connections… looking forward to another ‘meeting’ of this group….

18. IBGoofy says:

I wanted to say Rec’r also, but bit my tongue…. We need to establish them!
    Our OL is still a “Group in Progress”…. Give Hass some time and he’ll be there for us…
    IMOHA, our offensive line is still “in Progress”……..

19. I hope they tackle better than what they did in the Minn. game.Don’t they wrap up any more?All they have to do is put there arms around the legs.You don’t tackle with your back,or butt.

20. ruminator1 says:

JoSCh yes the hawks could hid a player as you suggest. but there is an agreement with the players union: any such player has to remain hidden and cannot play football for 6 years. the team is required to pay his full salary for the 6 yrs.