Camp sights

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on Aug. 11, 2010 at 5:54 am with 15 Comments »
August 11, 2010 5:54 am

Cleaning out the notebook. I know it’s early, blah, blah, but it seems obvious already that Golden Tate will WOW fans this season. I won’t predict how many catches or touchdowns he’ll have, or how durable he’ll be, etc., but there will be times when he will make plays that you’re not used to seeing out of a Seahawks receiver.

He’s made a habit of going up in traffic to make a catch, or grabbing crossing routes without breaking stride and looking impossible to bring down. But during 7-on-7 Tuesday afternoon, Tate went up for a overthrown ball and pulled it down with the fingertips of one hand. And when I say “up,” I mean WAY up. Way, way up. It was one of those plays that caused the rest of the team to gasp aloud. John Schneider and Pete Carroll said they wanted to bring in play-makers. They seem to have done it with this guy, who looks better than just the 60th player taken in the draft.

–Receiver Deon Butler is continuing to be a surprise this camp. He had another nice catch Tuesday, leaping backward for an overhead catch on a deep sideline route. It looks like he’s playing with so much more confidence, and is comfortable with the scheme and his role in it.

–I don’t know what the realistic rehab time was projected to be for back Leon Washington, but he’s certainly back in real action sooner than I could have imagined for a guy who had multiple fractures of his lower leg last season. He’s not only taking part in team drills, he was in there and running it up the middle when there was a lot of thumping going on. It’s unlikely he’s back to 100 percent, but he’s healthy enough to take the banging. I’m sure they’ll be cautious with him in the preseason, but this has to be a very positive sign.

–Tight end John Carlson catches every ball. He seems like a bit of a quiet guy, but could be turning into an understated team leader. He came over and shared a few thoughts with veteran Lawyer Milloy after a play in which Milloy and fullback Owen Schmitt had a big collision. Carlson checking in with a respected vet like Milloy? Shows something.

–Marcus Trufant is not the banged-up cornerback you saw last season. Latest in a series of nice plays he’s made this camp was a one-handed, touchdown saving deflection on Tuesday. A healthy and fully functional Trufant upgrades the secondary significantly.

–It looks like rookie tackle Russell Okung is settling in pretty well. It will be interesting to see him in the preseason against opponents, and watch his progress along the learning curve. End Chris Clemons beat him pretty easily on an outside pass rush once Tuesday.

–I know I’m the only one who cares about this, but I’m not yet sold on new snapper Clint Gresham. Velocity looks pretty good, but snapping is about consistency, and he’s had a few low one recently. That location has to be automatic.

–I haven’t been to every practice, but I haven’t seen a great deal out of Lawrence Jackson to cause me to jot down notes. What do you think the odds would have been, on the day of the 2008 draft, that fourth-rounder Red Bryant might be starting ahead of first-rounder Jackson?

Thanks Dave, good stuff.

re. Jackson v Bryant ; the odds would have been non-existent. Not because people were sold on Jackson (many people were not) or a 1st vs. 4th rounder, but because not many people, if any, had Bryant kicking to LDE. Bryant’s conversion to DE has to be one of the biggest (and most welcome) surprises this offseason / camp. And at this point with Jackson seemingly 3rd behind Bryant and Wilson at LDE, I think it’s fair to slap the bust tag on him. In any case you’re right, not many saw this coming.

I’m glad you brought that up about Carlson. I’ve suspected that he’s been developing into one of the true leaders on this team for a while. In just listening to his interviews, what he lacks in charisma, he more than makes up for with presence. He strikes me as a no nonsense, pro’s pro who works his ass off to play at a high level. That earns a lot of respect in this league.

2. Glad to hear that our WR corps might be the strength of the team. If Tate or Butler can emerge as a solid #2 WR, then we have to trade Deion Branch.

But, the bigger question to the Seahawks success this year and I am SHOCKED it never gets mentioned by Carroll or anyone else is there inability to be HORSES on the ROAD. They play timidly on the road. How can one fix that? Especially during those early East Coast games!

Canadian ‘Hawks Fan!

3. Seattle needs to find a way to trade Jackson. Even if we just get a 4th or 5th round pick, at least it would be something.

4. Great piece Dave. I love nothing more than to wake up and see some positives about the Hawks. Keep up the good work.

GO HAWKS!

rgomes – I imagine Carroll hasn’t mentioned anything about the Seahawks road issues because he hasn’t been around for any of them. In addition he hasn’t begun discussing the season in any detail as yet.

As for the rest of us, their inability to win on the road has been discussed here ad nauseam.

6. snydro22 says:

Milloy / Ellison / Chancellor

I want to hear more about this battle..

7. If we keep reading about Williams, Butler, and Tate… I wonder about the odds of Branch and/or Housh NOT being on the roster on opening day.

Before I get jumped for mentioning Housh – I know there’s a 99% chance he’ll be on the opening day roster, but it’s well documented that he and Hass aren’t exactly on the same page all the time (but Matt can seem to find other guys he’s had less work with) and we know he can be a whiner is he isn’t getting the ball as often as he thinks he should be getting it (he as in sarcasm – he seems like a competitive guy, to me, who would rather have 100 catches for 1,100 yards and 10 TD on a 9-7 team than 70 catches, 700 yards, and 4 TD on a 12-4 team — that’s my perception anyways and I don’t need to get jumped if it’s a misperception… I love his competitiveness, but I don’t love his selfishness within the competitiveness — but unless you’re a Randy Moss in your prime, a guy like Housh isn’t going to single handedly take over a game with his 9 yard routes). Besides, if Branch gets dumped (speaking of a guy who can’t ever get on the same page as Matt) I doubt they would want to be one injury away from only having Williams/Tate or Tate/Butler or Butler/Williams.

8. rgomes:

I read Ken Norton Jr and some of the other members of PC’s staff instilled old school sensibilities in practice: basic drills, strict curfews, no phones after 10pm (!?).

Maybe they can enact some strict guidelines the week leading up to our East Coast road games like moving practice/meetings up earlier in the day to get the team acclimated for the time difference –for once.

9. At least one reader is interested in the long snapper position.

I’m going to once again lobby for bringing Vandal alum Jeff Robinson out of retirement. He may be getting to the age where he’s wearing Depend undergarments, but that’s only appropriate for someone so dependable when it comes to the long snap.

Sorry, that even made me groan.

10. Just to pipe in for Bobby. The only way Branch doesn’t make opening day roster is if he is injured. We commonly hear on Tate butler and Williams. But the practices I went to, branch was the consistant, hard working, impressive reciever….. It pains me to say that but as it stands he might be hasselbecks #1 wideout target.

I would LOVE to see that from Golden

11. BobbyAyala says:

This doesn’t sound like a six win team.

I smell another banner.

12. 19-0 here we come!!!

13. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

I’d like to know whose slated to be our starting FS, and SS. Is it going to be Earl Thomas and Lawyer Milloy? Or is it going to be Earl Thomas, and Babineux, with Milloy coming in on blitz packages and running downs? Or is Earl Thomas even going to be a starter? After all, other than picking off Hasslebeck in the end zone that one time I haven’t heard his named mentioned too much.

14. wabubba67 says:

Long snapper is a huge area of concern for me….there is nothing like a blocked/missed FG or block/shanked punt to instantly shift momentum in favor of the opponent. Never mind errant snaps that go passed the punter or holder.

Bring back Robinson (why does he continue to retire…and then go back if he wasn’t interested in playing) until somebody actually beats him out.

15. Lawrence Jackson is not a scheme fit, he is too small for the 5-technique and too slow for the Leo. IMO Lo-Jack is a rotational guy in this defense, he is not a starter but he has a role to play. I have seen him play the 5-technique when they are playing smaller personnel. I have seen him play the Leo position in a line with bigger people. I have seen him play defensive tackle in a nickel line. I think Lawrence has a role, but not as a starter.