A few minutes with E.J. Wilson

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 10, 2010 at 11:34 am with 12 Comments »
August 10, 2010 11:34 am
Seattle Seahawks defensive tackle E.J. Wilson (Joe Barrentine/TNT)

Most of the rookies from this year’s draft class have flashed at times during training camp so far. One of the guys that has gone under the radar a little bit is defensive end E.J. Wilson.

The North Carolina product was Seattle’s second pick in the fourth round taken with the 127th overall pick.

Wilson was kind of a sleeper who the Seahawks kept under the radar in terms of their interest in him. But so far he seems to be a nice fit for the new defensive scheme.

With Lawrence Jackson out with a hamstring issue, Wilson has been playing 5-technique with the second unit and kicking down to 3-technique during passing situations. And he’s also shown some pass-rushing ability during camp.

“I am getting more comfortable,” he said. “I pretty much have the same role that I had in college, playing the left side of strong side in college and then going inside when they need some pass rush. Coach Quinn has really helped me out a lot in bringing me along in the process, so I’m really enjoying my time in camp so far.”

Rob Rang, senior analyst with NFLDraftScout.com, said Wilson was a player he underrated during the draft process.

“He’s a player that quite frankly I didn’t grade as high as I probably should have,” Rang said. “North Carolina was so gifted on the defensive side of the ball that I actually got to watch a lot of North Carolina tape, and E.J. Wilson was a very stout run defender, and showed a little pas-rush burst.”

Wilson said it took a few days to get used to the higher intensity level from OTA’s to training camp, but he’s starting to get used to the rhythm and pace of practice.

“The intensity level is a lot different,” he said. “I mean it’s grind time right now. It’ real football. OTA’s we were just trying to get acclimated, getting used to the system and getting familiar with the plays. But now it’s time to go out and execute, be physical and everything and just show up every day.”

Even with the step up on competition, Wilson believes he will make the adjustment and continue to play better as the season progresses.

“It feels the same when I started out in college as a freshman,” Wilson said. “And then eventually as I got more time I began to dominate more and it started to become easier, so hopefully that’s the same progression I’ll make up here.

“It does give me a lot of confidence because I kind of had a rough time getting used to things in OTAs. But now we’ve got the pads on, so I’m building on confidence, getting in the backfield and making some plays and showing up on film more, so that’s really helping my confidence.

General Seahawks
  1. I watched EJ some when I was at practice. First of all, he looks like a defensive tackle not a defensive end, but that is the profile for a 5-technique. I thought he showed decent quickness and good strength holding the point. I want to see him when real tackling starts, but he looked like a potential long term answer at the 5-technique.

2. I’m in love with the idea he could get a little push up the middle on passing downs although any expectations need to be realistic for a rookie defensive lineman who doesn’t have a last name like Suh. We should be able to stuff the run on the strong side though and that should free up Curry to make plays. It’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out. Red and Wilson will provide a lot of beef for RTs to deal with.

3. This is the guy to push Red Bryant at the 5-tech. That competition between these two is so important, and these big guys will need to spell each other often during games. I thought I would miss Cory Redding, but I no longer do. May the best big man win.

This is also the guy that spells the end of Jackson’s tenure with Seattle. Maybe not this season, but if he improves at the pace he has so far, this will be Jackson’s last year in Seattle.

5. I’m a Tar Heel fan, so I’m well aware of Wilson’s capability’s, he is almost perfect for the 5-tech, he is a really really physically strong player and I think he is quite explosive for his size. I can’t wait for him to get on the field.

6. Sounds like we have the makings of a big, stout (and slow??) DL this year.

7. chuck_easton says:

On that note, if EJ Wilson is the guy to push LlJack, off the team so be it.

We have been reading quite a bit about this player or that player (Thurmond, Davis, Wilson, Chancellor, Ellison, Mike Williams) who are all pushing for playing time.

I’m looking forward to the first officially unofficial Depth Chart to be posted on the team’s website so we can get a better idea who’s ahead of whom at each position.

New regime and all, but this is the longest I think the team has ever gone without putting SOMETHING out there.

The official site just continues to say ‘check back later during camp…” Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t camp just about over?

8. CreamRanger says:

I bet they will have a depth chart up before the preseason game. I mean thats when they showcase the official first team offense and first team defense. So even if they don’t post one we will be able to figure it out.

It also seems unfortunate that we drafted Lawrence Jackson in the first. That was somewhat of a reach and I never really liked the pick. I was pullin for a RB… just an interesting note; After the Seahawks pick of Lawrence Jackson the following RBs were taken in this order:
    Matt Forte
    Ray Rice
    Kevin Smith
    Jamal Charles
    Steve Slaton
    Tashard Choice

We could have had a WVU backfield with Steve Slaton and Owen Schmitt. That would have been so awesome! Maybe we coulda gotten Pat White too lol.

9. snydro22 says:

Slaton, Schmitt and White? ugh!

Ray Rice and Jamaal Charles are the cream of that crop..

10. CreamRanger says:

Thats what it looks like, although Smith is a solid starter when healthy, Slaton and Forte had good rookie seasons but are just on the wrong teams to be very successful. Choice is making some noise in Dallas too.

Hopefully this season will have some of these new players on the roster break out so there are less question marks surrounding the draft. I guess only time will tell. But next years DE class is deeeep.

Sounds like there were a few scuffles at practice today. Things are testy, games must be getting closer..

12. nighthawk2 says:

Jackson is just another failed Ruskell 1st round draft choice. Why is anyone surprised by that? And pushing Red Bryant shouldn’t be too hard, since he’s done exactly squat since he’s been here.

As for taking Jackson over those running backs, all those backs were taken after we traded away our 3rd round pick to Baltimore to move up in the 2nd round for Carlson. If we’d passed on Jackson and taken Dustin Keller (taken two picks later by the Jets) we wouldnt’ have needed to move up for Carlson–if we really needed to in the first place to get him; a move that cost us Ray Rice because that 2nd round pick (#55) is the one Baltimore used to draft Rice. Nice work Timmay! The 3rd round pick we traded to the Ravens to move up for Carlson was #86 (Ravens took ND safety Tom Zibkowski), three picks later at 89 Houston took Slaton and two picks after that at 91 Green Bay took Jermichael Finley.

Hey, if we’d stayed put at #25 instead of trading down 3 spots with Dallas we could have gotten CB Michael Jenkins (whom Dallas picked), RB Ray Rice and TE Jermichael Finley and have been a better team. I’m scratching my head trying to figure out what we got from Dallas for trading down 3 spots in the 1st round.

I’ll even go you one better: If we were going to trade up, why not the 1st round instead of the 2nd, move up two spots and Chris Johnson is ours (he went 24th to Tennessee, one spot before our original pick in the 1st round that year). Instead of getting Chris Johnson, or Keller/Rice/Finley, we got the second coming of Lamar King and Carlson. I like John Carlson as a tight end, but I’d like to have had Keller, Rice and Finley a lot more.

And guess who was taken the pick after we took that world beater Red Bryant? Tashard Choice. Timmay!, you were a hell of a judge of talent. You’re going to make Chicago the Monsters of the Midway again, no doubt.