Okung at practice

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 6, 2010 at 2:00 pm with 20 Comments »
August 6, 2010 2:01 pm

Here’s a couple shots from the early portion of practice. Seattle Seahawks offensive tackle Russell Okung was the last person to reach the field, jogging out just after the team finished stretching.

And one of the first to greet him was offensive line coach Alex Gibbs. The offensive line guru had been working mostly with the interior linemen so far in camp, but with Okung showing up today Gibbs is working with the tackles to help get Okung up to speed.

Already, as you can see from the photos, Okung is getting an ear full.

The second photo also shows you the low-crouch stance that Okung gets into, which is pretty impressive for a guy his size.

General Seahawks
  1. bird_spit says:

Is there anything not to love about Gibbs being our OL and run game coach?

I think with the running game, which I have expectations that we will be in the top 10, will come a 8-8 season.

2. “Already, as you can see from the photos, Okung is getting an ear full.”

Good deal. Crank him into something that will at least give us a functional NFL left tackle. We haven’t had that since Walt went down in the Tukey Day game a few years ago.

3. bird_spit says:

Hey BobbyK – I won.

“Always Compete”…

4. airbags says:

this is the impression i get from gibbs:

and that’s just what the o-line needs.

5. HawksKD says:

Top 10 run game will not happen sorry dude..

I can imagine that it takes a certain kind of person to play for Gibbs. If you have rabbit ears or thin skin, you won’t make it. But the men who thrive under Gibbs are the the exact kind of players I love; no nonsense, nose to the grind stone, down to business period, players. Also, when the players to get the red ass after Gibbs has been beating them like a rented mule, they go to each other to commiserate and pick each other up creating an even stronger unit. I thoroughly understand how he can wear out him welcome in time, but he is exactly what this unit needs. Hell yes I’m happy he’s here and I would expect he rode Okung for all he was worth today.

7. dirtbiker_joey says:

Top ten running game is almost guaranteed! Gibbs is a mastermind of the running game and has done more with far less in other towns as far as O-linemen go. With Okung in now and Locklear back at his natural RT spot, Unger getting better and better, Hamilton schooling up Spencer, and the blocking TEs we have, any back could be successful. But we don’t have just any back, we have Justin Forsett! Have you seen this guy run yet? I’m saying it now, draft Forsett on your FF team, he’s going to put up some numbers this year.

8. wabubba67 says:

I LOVE Gibbs, too….we have, for far too long, been a franchise associated with finesse. I hope that he instills toughness and a mean streak along the OL…maybe it will even translate to the DL because of practice.

I was just watching some tape of Okung at OSU…I hope he works out, but it seems to me that he some very heavy feet (even compared to other college athletes). Eric and/or Dave, could you please follow up with your impressions of his footwork after watching him for a couple of days?

9. I’m so happy to see these pictures, hopefully Okung will be a starter for our team just as long as Walter was it. I don’t think Gibbs can work miracles right of the bat, I think (and hope) that we will see improvements, but I don’t think we’ll be that competitive this year. That said, I have been wrong many times in the past, and maybe Gibbs can pull some sort of miracle off with this O-line, and even with the expectations I have for the team at the moment, I still think we can finished second in the division, and who know maybe even push the 9ers for the title.

10. HawksKD says:

Lmao. You people praising Alex Gibbs and putting Justin Forsett need to stop drinking kool-aid. I’m an eternal optimist and I am hardly EVER negative on this blog. I am a realist however.

Alex Gibbs is one man. A great proven coach, mentor, and instructor. However Noah did not build the ark in one day. It takes time for a new system to gel and for players to respond. especially for a unit that relies on eachother as an OLine playing a zone blocking scheme. This is a BRAND NEW system for every player. None of which played at their position as they did last year.

As for Justin forsett, realize that if the season started today Julius would still be getting 2/3rds of the work load.

Yes I believe it should be the other way around. Force 2/3 juice 1/3… Perhaps it will be that way. Just simmer down before you jump the gun and right off a cliff.

11. JRocket says:

Good news. Hopefully Okung can get up to speed quickly during the preseason, because 9/12 he needs to have Matt’s blind side covered.

12. bird_spit says:

Okay..I’ll take top 15, but believe they have the potential for a top 10 position for the run game. It really has everything to do with consistency, and staying injury free.

I also believe Bates will rely heavily on the run once Hass has his annual rib injury caused by him attempting to “make something happen” maybe as early as week 1. CW will come in, and we will run, and run some more.

We need to perfect the run game for our future success any way, so the run game should be the measure of the season on O side of the ball, IMO.

If they can’t run the ball consistently, then you can go ahead and buy your season ticket early to which ever ski area you are near, and pray for early snow.

I think if we get the run game, 8-8 should be very doable. Maybe even surprise to the upside.

13. Mr_Fish says:

What I notice is that, unlike the other lineman in the first photo, Okung doesn’t have a big belly hanging over his belt. He seems to be in pretty good shape, and that should help him come up to speed.

The mental part of the game is probably his biggest challenge. But with Coach Gibbs in his earhole, I expect mistakes will be ironed out asap.

14. Now, now… Let’s not forget how excited everyone was when we looked at Gregg Knapp’s history and saw that he had always had a top 10 running offense.

This is not to compare Knapp to Gibbs, but to, you know, set some realistic expectations for the level of talent we currently possess.

Ocho – Everyone? There was plenty of skepticism about Knapp. To go further, there were some here that hated him from the get go.

HawksKD – Tempered expectations are certainly a safer approach but you can’t blame people for getting carried away, right now. To address a couple of your points; Forsett got nearly 30% of all carries last season. There is no reason to feel that will go down but rather increase. Jones will not get the carries he had last season. The addition of Washington alone will see to that. Forsett led the team with yards from scrimmage. So to believe he may reach 1000 isn’t unreasonable.

As for the line; they did incorporate ZBS last season so the concept isn’t totally foreign and the middle of the line is intact; Spencer / Unger, for good or ill. (Lock moves back to his best position, RT) So with the addition of the most respected and successful o line coach in the game today, there again is reason to expect a marked improvement.

With all that, you’re right, they aren’t the Panthers or Jets. There is a long ways to go. Years in fact. But as has been said before, reality will come soon enough and now if any, is the time for excitement. People want to race off the cliff, I say have at it. (The big difference is that I’ll be toasting the cliff jumpers and you are just shaking your head in disbelief.)

16. Dukeshire: the voice of reason.

Realistically, the O line and running game will take a year or two to come together. Seems like people are jumping the gun talking about a top ten running game when we don’t have a top ten running back. But we can get there in time.

Apparently Okung had a stellar first day of practice today from reports I’ve read. “Pancake” and “stonewall” are two descriptions I enjoyed hearing. I’m not sure if that indicates that Okung is head-and-shoulders above our other tackles, talent-wise, or if it is more a case of this team lacking a DE capable of dominating an inexperienced rookie. I can’t wait to get back to practice and watch the young man.

17. raymaines says:

At the end of the season I think I’d be happy if the Hawks are competitive in EVERY game and…
    1) Beat the 49ers on opening day
    2) Split with AZ
    3) Beat the Rams twice, and
    4) Finish 8-8 or better

Then draft two HOF D-Ends, a L guard, a HUGE running back, and Jerry Rice’s tallest kid

18. HawksKD says:

Duke you are correct. I would much rather see people jump te gun of optimism than jump the gun of negativity. I’m just trying to save the people from completely falling apart when they draft forsett in the third round and expect him to rush for 18 touchdowns behind an all pro line….

We have some great things to build at. I expect a DRAMATIC increase in continuity and rushing production. Top 10 is not realistic top 15 is pushing the cake.

I love j-force and I love the addition to solari.