Morning links: OG Pitts to workout for teams tomorrow

Post by Eric Williams on July 19, 2010 at 9:31 am with 37 Comments »
July 19, 2010 9:31 am

According to Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network, Houston Texans free agent offensive guard Chester Pitts will workout for interested teams in Arizona tomorrow.

The 31-year-old Pitts is rehabbing from microfracture knee surgery that forced him to miss most of the 2009 season. The Seattle Seahawks have been one of the team reportedly interested in Pitts. He played for current Seahawks offensive line coach Alex Gibbs while in Houston, so he’s familiar with Seattle’s zone blocking scheme.

Other teams reportedly interested in Pitts include Minnesota, San Francisco, Detroit and Philadelphia. Pitts had earlier indicated that the Seahawks were the frontrunners for his services.

Thanks to Dukeshire for finding this audio interview with Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll on National Public Radio’s “Wait, Wait. … Don’t Tell Me!”

Gregg Doyel of CBS Sports takes Carroll to task for his “Win Forever” book tour.

Michael Lombardi of the NFL Network wonders if five teams are really interested in Terrell Owens’ services, as his agent Drew Rosenhaus says.

More Lombardi: He says the Seahawks are a draft away from being a contender.

Dan Pompei of the National Football Post says three scouts he talked to had RB Harvey Unga ranked as a third-round talent. Pompei said that Unga would have been the eighth running back selected in this year’s regular draft in April.

Whether Pete Carroll can get things turned around in Seattle is one of 20 questions Don Banks of Sports Illustrated poses in this precursor to the beginning of NFL training camps.

If you haven’t checked it out already, Steve Sabol, the president of NFL Films fills in for Peter King and pens this Monday Morning Quarterback column. It’s certainly worth a read.

Gerrit Ritt of Fox Sports ranks the Seattle Seahawks among his top 10 teams that deserve a Super Bowl win.

Morning links
  1. zombiehooliganfc says:

When is the OG Readmore workout?

Can Monday Morning Quarterback make Peter King’s guest writers permanent? Each one I’ve read is better than anything King scratches out and Steve Sabol’s is no exception. In it he links to a Dick Butkus highlight reel. I’ve seen a bunch of them before but it’s been a while, and the thing that really struck me this time was how fundamentally sound he was as a tackler. Everyone knows about the big, crushing hits. But unlike so many defenders today, he wraps up and doesn’t stop driving through the ball carrier until he is one with the turf. Wrapping up. What a concept. He is proof positive you don’t have to sacrifice technique for a punishing hit.

As has been said by several others; a 31 year old o lineman coming off micro-fracture surgery does not fill me with confidence. However, if they were able to sign him reasonably and have modest expectations for what he can contribute, then I say bring him in and see how he holds up through camp.

3. chuck_easton says:

If Pitts can come in with the idea that he’s likely going to be a backup and insurance for Hamilton staying healthy (thereby taking backup and not starters money), by all means consider taking a look.

Problem is Pitts thinks that he’s going to be a starter and he still thinks that Seattle has an opening.

Right now I’d take Hamilton and Unger as the two starting guards.

4. BobbyAyala says:

The thing I appreciate about Peter King is his consistency.

5. BobbyAyala says:

I would also agree that Buffalo deserves it more than anyone.

The pain of one Super Bowl loss was about as bad as it gets.

Four in row?

6. BobbyAyala says:

“Does Pete Carroll have no shame?

“And that answer is no, but that’s not a surprise. When the NCAA leveled USC as hard as it has hit a high-profile program since crushing SMU with the death penalty in 1987, Carroll waited about 15 minutes to fire off a YouTube video where he claimed to be “absolutely shocked and disappointed” by the sanctions. His best player, Reggie Bush, was essentially the second-highest paid guy on campus behind Carroll, with cash and a car and luxury housing. But Carroll was “absolutely shocked and disappointed” by the sanctions. Which means Carroll is an idiot or a liar.

“And he’s not an idiot. ”

If you were Reggie Bush, taking gifts from potential agents, would you go up to your coaching staff at USC and say, “Coach, I’m taking gifts from potential agents.”

Do writers like this think that Pete has dinner at the Bush househould every weekend?

Do writers like this understand that head coaches barely have time to sleep, much less play the role of investigator and dig into the personal lives of players searching for sins that they would do anything to cover up?

When Pete says, “Hey, I didn’t know Reggie Bush was taking gifts,” writers like Greg Doyell call him a liar without even an ounce of logical thought.

American media today, present company excluded, are nothing more than entertainers themselves.

Whatever they can say, or write, to drum up the most idiotic support is exactly what they’re after.

It’s disgusting how the Internet has ruined journalism.

There’s no more work ethic, it’s just become far too easy and much more profitable to spit out drivel and wait for the morons to lap it up.

7. chuck_easton says:

So, how many writers are trashing Payton down in NO for his book? None, but he’s a nice guy that coaches the current NFL darling team.

Pete’s problem is he either released the book too late (should have done it while he was still riding high in the College ranks and USC was a perenial BCS #1 candidate) or too soon (should wait until he starts winning in the NFL).

There is so much backlash against PC out there right now.

I’m on the fence. I don’t think he’s as clean as snow white but I don’t think he deserves all the public bashing he’s getting from the national media because Reggie Bush chose to cash in on his potential millions while still playing college ball.

“It’s disgusting how the Internet has ruined journalism.” – The internet hasn’t ruined journalism. There is a difference between a journalist and editorialist. Blowhards like Gregg Doyel offer their opinions in a sensational and inflammatory way and present it as fact, for no other reason than ignite conversation, and that sells. Television is the same way. Just turn on ESPN and listen to any of their so called “experts”. Volume has taken (or is taking) the place of content. There is no question that true journalism is far less marketable than in the past, the public settles for less and doesn’t demand accurate, insightful and objective reporting. But that’s not a result of the rise of the internet, it’s been in decline for years.

“…it’s just become far too easy and much more profitable to spit out drivel and wait for the morons to lap it up.” – Yes, but ultimately as one of the “morons” it’s our responsibility to demand better by not pandering to the hacks.

9. baldbandit says:

That’s Captain OG Readmore to you, buddy.

10. ruminator1 says:

the PC interview on KIRO this afternoon interesting primarily because he squashed and TO possibility. he also was really positive about red b and vickerson and also marvelled at thomas’s last 2 days . no comments on other people coming in except they will look and continue to look to get the very best avaiulable out there.

11. ruminator1 says:

any possibility

12. When someone sees a guy like Reggie Bush driving around campus in some brand new car (I never lived like that in college) it’s gotta raise a red flag that maybe Reggie has gotten some money that he shouldn’t have taken. If Mr. Happy didn’t know anything about Bush getting money like that, it’s because he chose not to know anything about it. Someone had to have seen something to get people talking (students talking about his new car, gold, etc., perhaps fellow players wondering why or coaches… someone knew something, but I think they chose not to know anything because then they wouldn’t have to admit they, in fact, knew anything).

Still, I don’t care about what happened at USC. There’s no way this doesn’t happen at Texas, Florida, Alabama, etc. too. USC simply got caught (I’ve said this before).

The only thing I care about is what Mr. Happy gets done with the Seahawks and I hope there’s at least 1 Super Bowl win associated with his legacy here.

Apparently, crappy Branch is a better fit for our IR — I mean WR situation than T.O. Or Paul Allen has run out of money.

Yes, it happens everywhere. Hell, I played DII baseball and even there we had what would be violations, if we got caught. (Aids taking tests for players, bills for books would disappear, additional per diem after road trips to help with groceries, etc…) If it went on there, I can only imagine what really happens at USC, Texas, Fla, etc…

Schneider doesn’t sign many high profile FAs regardless, let alone one with T.O.s baggage. That said, I would have lost money on a bet that Branch would be a Seahawk this season. Looks like it’s happening…

16. I never thought that pile of garbage would be allowed back.

17. Exe_Aye_Aye says:

Two things come to mind when thinking about TO. Highlights and controversy.

One thing never comes to mind . . . winner.

The guy drops the ball too much, is getting slower, more injury prone and oh yeah, he has a reality show.

At least Branch has won . . . for another team, but he knows what it takes to win. There is no guarantee that dropsTOmuch will be any better than Branch.

18. chuck_easton says:

I’m not willing to have my hopes dashed by the inevitable knee injury that Branch has scheduled for the second week of September but I have been firm all along that I LOVE ME SOME ME. O. is not the answer.

The team doesn’t need an aging prima Donna to replace an aging injury prone semi diva

19. @Bobby… “When someone sees a guy like Reggie Bush driving around campus in some brand new car (I never lived like that in college) it’s gotta raise a red flag that maybe Reggie has gotten some money that he shouldn’t have taken.”

It was a then 9 year old 96 Chevy, not a brand new car.

That said I believe New Era bought it and the giant rims and the even larger woofers.

But I can see that Pete conceivably wouldn’t notice it; it’s a $10,000 car. Its nothing special. Nobody would question Jake Locker showing up in a 2007 Honda Accord would they? Even if it had $1500 wheels.

20. T.O. had a better, “winner” performance in the game Branch won MVP honors. But since his team lost, Branch won MVP. Just like Mark Rypien must be a better QB than Dan Marino.

21. People talk. Word gets around. If Reggie is getting money, people are going to see this somehow. Maybe his crib is a bit more than the average college student? If he’s living good, you can bet he had some visitors. The question never came up how he could afford such a place? Word never got back to anyone about it? You either choose to find out or don’t ask so you don’t find out. I don’t know why this has to turn into a debate. If Jake Locker showed up with a new car, but was raised in poverty, you bet people would wonder what he’s doing driving in that. I don’t know the economic status of Bush or Locker prior to their college careers but other things factor in. If Mr. Happy recruited Bush, you know fully well he knew the economic status of the Bush family since you know Mr. Happy had been in their home. I don’t care for Reggie Bush. I could care less about USC. I don’t care. I only care about what Mr. Happy can do with the Hawks.

It might be more reasonable to compare Rypien to Jim Kelly and say because the ‘Skins won, that must mean he’s better… That said, for me at this stage of their respective careers, it’s pick your poisen.

(FYI – T.O. had 9 for 122. Branch had 11 133 in their Super Bowl. They seem pretty damn comparable that game, to me. Kelly did throw 4 picks vs. the ‘Skins.)

BobbyK – The thing is, Bush was not living head and shoulders above the rest of the team. This isn’t like Boz driving a Corvette and Jeep around Norman. Yes, we can of course assume impropriety but not everything appears to be what it is during the time it’s happening. Things often become much clearer in retrospect. In any case, moving on…

or *poison*. Ugh…

25. maddog12 says:

ESPN reports USC Athletic Director replaced with Pat Hayden and school will give back Bush’s trophy to the NY Athletic Club!

26. ruminator1 says:

dukeshire: your point with this comment?
    “That said, for me at this stage of their respective careers, it’s pick your poison.”

are you saying that even though the argument that Rypien won and Kelly lost doesn’t make Rypien the better QB, nevertheless their career stats would make them even choices in terms of which was better? if so that seems way off the mark. and if not so, i am confused (a common enough experience to be sure, but i’d like to understand).

27. ruminator1 says:

dukeshire.. never mind. i see what you are saying. dumb de dumb dumb. i think the phrase “at this stage of their careers” is what threw me. clearly you are talking about their preformance in this game. rypien was actually better, though kelly completed a record number of passes to go with the 4 interceptions and he did not have postive results from thomas–13 yds?)

Actually, the “at this stage of their careers” is directed toward the T.O. vs. Branch discussion. The Rypien / Kelly was in response to Bobby’s Rypien / Marino comment. I feel that in context of his point, comparing Rypien to Kelly was far better considering they faced one another in the Super Bowl that gave Rypien his MVP, in much the same way Owens and Branch faced each other in Branch’s Super Bowl MVP game. Marino has no ties to Rypien in any way.

But I understand the confusion as ran two thoughts together in one paragraph. I could have made it much clearer. My point with the “pick your poison” comment is that there is more downside to each, Owens and Branch, than upside at this stage.

This goes without saying, but to be clear, the inferior career player won the Super Bowl MVP in each of those games, respectively.

29. ruminator1 says:

i’ll raise your rypien with one T.O., double down on kelly. think i will cover the pass line on branch

Are you mixing blackjack and craps metaphors? Because if so, I applaud you, sir.

Eric is on vacation, as everyone knows, so thought I’d throw up a couple items I thought were cool this morning. Camp opens in 10 days! Is anyone here going? Maybe Eric would allow a practice report guest post or two from whoever is going… Might be cool. Anyway,

Carroll on Jake Locker, among other things.

Forsett highlight video. (Nothing new but damn fun.)

Teel sigs with Bears.

32. Where do we sign up to attending a training camp session? Is the schedule out yet? By the way, just rolled in from San Diego…I can spit on Quest Field from my office = ) It’s so nice to be home!

33. Not in the least bit interested in Teel or Clip Board Jesus along those lines. Think J.P. is the future, possible now if injury allows.

Still think we may be targeting Lynch should the opportunity arise. As Duke has mentioned Weaver, he should still be a Hawk. TR was terrible as a GM. For this reason, even though I absolutely condone every off season move, I will never have complete trust in Leiweke.

Carroll .. Carroll is in a must win position. He isn’t a baby sitter. So few of these players ever cash in on the millions. Who is the criminal? The womens volley ball player or PAID coach?

I know I kept to baseball because there is only so much time in a day. School, play, homework, work that was COMPENSATATED with money.

Griffey and A-Rod hadn’t been saddled with hipocracracy. Argue till blue in the face. Your Wrong!

My g’pa was athletic adm. at Boise St. He felt the players football player should receive pay. Per him not me.

Audible – Head over the, they have all the info.

35. ruminator1 says:

i am going to a session on the 3rd. i notice in the KIRO interview the other -day, jim moore pushed PC with a Monday-is-tell-the truth-day question about TO. that is what provided the clear position on TO. i wish they had done the same on Lynch. PC pretty clever at giving vague, general opinions. sometimes i feel the wrong questions are being asked or are asked in the wrong way. and of course, some questions he needs to be vague about. the Lynch question might be one of them, especially if there are negotiations going on.
    dukeshire–you should have added poker since i first raised you.

36. Ruminator1: Lynch is under contract so Carroll can’t talk specifically about the player, that would be tampering. T.O is not under contract so Carroll can talk specifically about whether the team is interested in securing his services.

37. ruminator1 says: