Hawks claim Isaiah Stanback off waivers (updated)

Post by Ryan Divish on June 1, 2010 at 3:33 pm with 20 Comments »
June 2, 2010 4:03 pm
Nice tattoo

UPDATE: You can listen to Stanback on with Softy on KJR … HERE

UPDATE: It’s official that the Hawks have indeed claimed Stanback. Also my comments at the end of the blog are non-binding, as they can be erased at any time.

ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss tweeted (yes, that’s an accepted verb these days) that the Seahawks have claimed former University of Washington quarterback and now NFL receiver Isaiah Stanback off of waivers.

Stanback appeared in six games for the Patriots last season catching three passes for 22 yards.

In 2008, Stanback appeared in eight games for the Dallas Cowboys, mostly as a kick returner, making 10 returns for 208 yards with a long of 58 yards.

The Seahawks have about a zillion receivers on the roster. But perhaps Stanback may have some value as a returner.

How much? I would get a tattoo like his, if he makes this team.

General Seahawks
  1. Shout out to the Husky Honks!

“I would get a tattoo like his, if he makes this team” – That is as good as a contract, Divish. Snydro and I will see to it…

He may have value as a returner, at least early in the season, as Washington continues to heal. Despite the number of bodies, receiver is close to set. But returner (both punts and kick offs) is anything but. That how he makes this team and how Divish his… stripes, we’ll call them.

3. chuck_easton says:

It’s funny reading the national media. I just learned that the team signed Stanback because we are THIN at WR with TJ and Branch nursing injuries.

Yes, I guess going into camp with 16 WR’s on the roster is thin. What IS the team thinking?

4. Nice, now all of the people that missed Seneca Wallace can have him back, except Isaiah is bigger, taller, better arm and arguably-faster. Now that is your project quarterback, who can return kicks and catch balls in the meantime.

5. Devinc253 says:

I dont think he’ll be around long

6. williambryan says:

Duke, I dont think the WR’s that will be on the 53 are set at all. TJ and, apparently Tate, are the only locks. If this staff has shown anything it is that no one is safe. If you asked anyone a week ago who the starting RB would be all of our answers would have been Lendale White………Need I say more.
    I’ve said this before but, for all of us fans and even the writers, we have to acknowledge that things are very different with this team than were used to. I think the only players who can feel secure right now are Okung and Thomas. I don’t even think Hasselbeck feels completely safe.

7. williambryan says:

Also, remember that there are virtually no salary cap ramifications preventing any moves from being made, so while in the past we might have said ‘he makes too much money, no way he’s getting traded or cut.’ that doesn’t apply this year

8. I will one up that bet. If Isaiah Stanback makes the 53 man roster, I will get that tattoo, and add “thug life” to it right in the center of my pasty white chest, and I’ll grow my hair out like that. Then I’ll run shirtless down 1st avenue with some 1970’s Bruce Jenner shorts on waving my arms screaming, “One shot, kid!”

“If you asked anyone a week ago who the starting RB would be all of our answers would have been Lendale White”

williambryan – Well, not all of us. I certainly would not have. And I do acknowledge things are very different, everything must be earned everyday with Carroll and there is a long way to go between here and the start of the season. But I do however believe that receiver is “close to set”, in fact. Housh, Tate, Butler and M. Williams will make up the core of the unit. Branch is potentially in the mix as well, depending if they can muster any trade interest in him. Certainly compared to kick / punt returner, it has more clarity. At least this is how I see things. (Of course I’ve been known to be wrong.)

Ryan / Cortez – I can’t tell you how hard I’m rooting for him right now. Lol.

11. ElPerroGrandeIII says:

12. Does shaving one’s chest hair into that pattern count as a tatoo?

13. Is Isaiah Stanback still eligible for practice squad? Seems like he may be beyond the number of games allowed.

klm008 – It’s got to be waxed in, 40 Year Old Virgin style. Then it counts as partial credit.

No, no PS eligibility for him. He has too many games on the 53 man roster.

15. If Stanback make the roster, time to find a new team to support … we’re pretty much a joke of an organization right now …

um – how are we a joke of a franchise? I would say that there are MANY others that have significantly more issues than we do and have failed to address them. At least we have made mistakes and taken measures to correct those issues – sooner rather than later.

We have made a number of Roster moves, which I think is crazy, but it has seemingly kept the players on the toes and working hard to make sure they are not the one that is waved next.

16. The bad thing about Stanbacks tattoo is that you can’t see it on him when he’s in the sun too long.

17. footballscaa says:

Good. Keep bringing them in. lord knows the players we had couldn’t do it. I mean win, by that.

18. ruminator1 says:

i wonder what stanback’s value as a receiver/returner would be right now had he accepted the UW coaches and others advice to give up on his quarterback efforts because he’d never make it in the pros as a qb? hard not to root for the guy, yet another in the reclamation projects PC seems to like to infuse competition. clearly, the hawks are not set at receiver though there are obvious favorites (butler, mike w) and a few locks (tate and hous). mini and regular training camps are going to be incredible this year.

19. HawkyHann says:

This guy is a good athlete but has no real postion…other than special teams. At least he’s playing for league minimum. Man I couldn’t stand watching him play QB. So gross…

20. nighthawk2 says:

We’re saved. Can he play running back?