Morning links: Trufant out to prove ’09 a fluke

Post by Eric Williams on May 23, 2010 at 8:33 am with 23 Comments »
May 23, 2010 8:33 am

Marcus Trufant held his seventh annual Trufant Family Foundation celebration on Saturday at the place where his football career started, Al Davies Boys and Girls Club in Tacoma.

About 20 of his fellow players showed up to sign autographs and spend time with fans and members of the Boys and Girls Club for the afternoon

You can read my story from Saturday’s event here. Trufant said the day is important to spend time with family and friends, but also acknowledge the work his foundation does to serve others throughout the year.

“I’m home grown,” Trufant said. “I get to play for my hometown. It doesn’t really work out like that all the time. So I’m kind of a special guy in a special situation. So I feel like I’ve been blessed, and I’m just able to give back.

“It just feels good to be around people you love, and people who love you.”

Trufant also talked about his struggles on the football field last season. He is coming off perhaps his worst season as a pro. Trufant missed the first six weeks of 2009 with a disk issue in his back, starting the season on the physically unable to perform list.

When Trufant made it back to the field, he did not appear to have the full acceleration and explosiveness that allowed him to keep up with the fastest receivers in the league, and it showed in his play.
Even though he played in only 10 games, Trufant led the league with nine defensive penalties. And he also led the league in pass interference penalties with seven.

In one game toward the end of the season at Houston, Trufant struggled to keep up with one of the top receivers in the league in Andre Johnson, who finished with a season-high 11 catches for 193 yards and two touchdowns against Seattle.

To his credit, Trufant did not use the nagging injury as an excuse for poor play. And after an offseason spent diligently working his way back into top shape, Trufant said he’s 100 percent healthy, and that he plans on using last year’s struggles as motivation.

“I feel like I’ve got a lot to prove,” Trufant said. “And I want to come out, and I want to do better for my team. I felt like I not only let myself down, but I let my team down by coming back and not playing at the level that I know I can play at. So I’m just here to do the best for my team, and to help the team out as best as possible.”

Listen to part of the interview with Trufant here.

[wpaudio url="http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/files/2010/05/TrufantAlDaviesaudio.mp3" text="MP3: Trufant audio"]

Doug Farrar of Yahoo Sports discusses how Seattle’s new “Leo” or “Elephant” position will help create more of a pass rush defensively.

ESPN’s John Clayton talks to new Seahawks quarterback J.P. Losman in this audio link. The conversation begins about 14 minutes into the clip.

ESPN’s Len Pasquarelli lists all of the offensive line combinations used by all 32 teams in the NFL last season. The Seahawks used six different offensive line combinations, and 10 different starters along the line in 2009. The New York Jets offensive line had been the model of consistency before Alan Faneca moved to Arizona this offseason, starting the same five starters for 35 straight games.

Clark Judge of CBS Sports says the potential for mounds of snow and ice that would paralyze traffic in the area offer good enough reasons not to have the Super Bowl in New York in 2014, but it’s probably going to happen anyway.

The stadium situation in Minnesota reminds of what we faced here in Seattle with the Sonics trying to get public funding from the state to get a new arena built. According to this poll, folks in Minnesota are against using public funds to build a new facility for the Vikings, although they’ve already built a baseball-only stadium using public funds for the Twins. You can’t do it for one team and then not do it for another team, as we’ve seen here in Seattle. If that continues to be the case, the sad reality is that the Vikings could be in Los Angeles soon. The Vikings lease for the Metrodome ends in 2011.

Morning links

I agree, Tru does have a lot to prove. If a healthy Trufant reverts to his pre-’06 form, this secondary will be in some trouble. As high as the optimism is right now for improvement, it’s a thin group. Everyone needs to play at or near their best to see any real improvement. If however he plays at the same level as he did, post bye week in ’06 through ’07 (into early ’08) then the pressure on an already going-to be-tested pass rush is lightened a bit. I think his performance this year is as important to the success to the D as any player on the field. (And I understand pass rush and play in the secondary are in consort. But his play is crucial, IMO.)

2. oceanic says:

I hope Tru gets more support from the front four than what he got last year.

Seattle seems really thin at the nose DT.

3. I hear your point, Duke. On a team with as little real depth as we have, Trufant’s play will stand out – either standing out as an anchor of the secondary, or standing out like a sore thumb.

One thing I’ve always noticed from my fellow 12th Men is that when a player has a bad year and is struggling with injuries, some fans are quick to jump on them and say that they are through. This happened last year with Tru, and with Hasselbeck, and Spencer, and Lofa, all of whom were trying to rehab injuries while they practiced and played. In the NFL, no player can succeed when less than 100% healthy. Guys play injured, but they cannot really compete to win when they are playing injured.

I see no reason why Tru won’t return to full health and look like the player he was a few years ago. Even so, we will still be plagued with pass completions if we can’t put a good pass rush in front of him and good free safety behind him.

4. IBGoofy says:

“we will still be plagued with pass completions if we can’t put a good pass rush in front of him (TRU)”

I agree, but something tells me that this group of coaches is also aware of this and won’t allow the lame pass rush from this past season…. There seems to be an awareness that doesn’t get ignored….. Proof will be on the field, of course, but it’s not like we don’t have some new faces providing outside competition for the pressure….

5. Man I Hope he can bounce back, we need all the good DB’s we can get, also he has the experience which is needed as well. We actually, not surprisingly, need exactly that almost everywhere..

6. I expect Trufant to have a good, solid year.

I expect Josh Wilson to have a good, solid year.

I expect Kelly Jennings to have a good, solid year. Don’t expect him to outmuscle bigger receivers, but he’ll certainly cover people better than most. There are better CBs than him, but we could certainly do worse than Jennings too.

I don’t expect Thurmond to contribute much this year, but I’m certainly looking for him to play well starting in 2011 (think Tracy Porter).

All in all, I like our CBs. I don’t think many teams are 4-deep the way we are. Now, if Tru’s decline continues, then we have problems, but I expect him to be fine.

I love the mix of youth, vets, and talent at Safety too. If they actually had a defensive line who could get some pass rush, this could be a great unit. Since we know our DL isn’t exactly the Steel Curtain or Purple People Eaters, it’s up to our offense to score some points and/or Mr. Happy to get creative with his LBs in getting pressure on the opponents so our DBs can look like the studs they are.

Omaha, NE has a nice zoo.

7. dacmike says:

I am a big Trufant fan, big Cougar fan so I support Trufant most of the time. But he should of not played last year, when he came back from injury he was bad, I mean real bad. He led the league in PI’s and he wasn’t in half the games. He was getting turned around so much it didn’t look like he was ready half the time. Playing corner is all about hip movement and if you are not ready to react quicky then it is over and the receiver goes right past you. I agree like others have mentioned in the past posts, the D-line dictates how the secondary does, if there is no rush then the secondary has to defend for theirselves and are alone and that is not good most of the time. I hope Trufant can get back into form this year. I have liked how PC and the FO have done so far, they are preaching competition which the Hawks did not have much last year. I don’t expect this team to be playoff contenders this year (but in the NFC West, who knows) but as long as I am seeing improvement in all aspects of the game I will be happy because this is a team that is rebuilding so it is going to take some time to get the pieces in place to compete on a regular basis.

8. After the Vikings stole Hutch with the bullcrap poison pill fiasco, that entire franchise can go to hell (or Los Angeles) for all I care. The only thing that would bother me about them leaving is that the Seahawks wouldn’t play only 2 hours from where I live every so often (I’ll be at the pre-season game on Sat, Aug 28, in Minneapolis). The Chiefs in KC would be the closest NFL team and that’s about 7 hours. Not good, I guess.

Anybody hear why South Dakota doesn’t have an NFL team? Because then Minnesota would want one too!

9. SeahawkFan12 says:

LOL Bobby!!!

10. KC’s closer than Denver?

11. KC is about 7 hours; Denver is about 15 hours.

12. zombiehooliganfc says:

Maybe he’ll do better if he isn’t on idiotic shows racing cars by running backwards.

How about Chicago?

14. torinaga says:

KC is closer than Green Bay? Not that you would ever be able to get tickets to a game there.

Seattle doesn’t play in GB this year, but yes that would be the closest NFL city I would think. I imagine (not knowing exactly where Bobby lives) that Indy, Chi and Cinci and maybe even Cleveland would be closer than KC. (They don’t play in KC either, I was confused by that. I thought the context was where Bobby could see the Hawks close to his home this year…)

Eric, I forget which days you all have access to the OTAs. Which of the 3 this week will you be able to attend? Thanks.

17. PhilKenSebben says:

Trufant was flagged for Pass Interference 3 times during the event.

18. footballscaa says:

Trufant has never played like a #1 pick. He’s beaten deep, he’s beaten short and in between too. The guy spins like a top out there trying to find his reciever. Sorry Hawks fans, but your dreamy “expectations” are unrealistic.

I don’t read here, where anyone is asking him to perform at any level other than one he has already established for himself. Granted, he has played below that level, over the course of his career, more than he has at it. But “expecting” him to perform at his best isn’t unrealistic, I don’t believe.

20. I’m in SW Minn. so KC is the closest NFL city. About 2 hours West of Minneapolis so it’s not like I’m South like on the border of Iowa or anything.

21. bird_spit says:

You are in the middle of the best Walleye and Muskie fishing there is..who needs the NFL.

22. Walleye, yes, but you have to go up North for Muskie. And with all of the crap they put in the fields around here, I wouldn’t eat anything in our lakes rivers because of the runoff. Northern Minnesota is the place to fish, camp out, and eat your catch. I do like fishing, but it’s something I just don’t do (probably b/c I’m obsessed with football and baseball and that takes care of a lot of spare time).

23. footballscaa says:

The level Trufant has evidently established for himself is bargin basement, except his contract is no bargin for the amount of TD’s and receptions he gives up. I’m not saying he’s a bad guy. He does a lot of good in Tacoma. But his position needs to be upgraded or he’ll be helping more opposing WR’s make the pro bowl this year. His size and his speed have Arena League potential. NFL? No.