Hawks claim CWU standout QB Reilly off waivers

Post by Eric Williams on May 4, 2010 at 4:42 pm with 17 Comments »
May 4, 2010 4:49 pm

The Seahawks added a development quarterback to the mix to challenge for the third string quarterback position, announcing today that the team had claimed Central Washington University product Mike Reilly off waivers.

Reilly was signed as a free agent by Pittsburgh after the 2009 draft and spent some time on the Steelers’ practice squad and in Green Bay, where Seahawks general manager John Schneider got an up-close look at him, before ultimately winding up in St. Louis at the end of last season.

Seattle had four quarterbacks at last weekend’s minicamp, Matt Hasselbeck, Charlie Whitehurst, Mike Teel and tryout player Bradley George from Texas State.

Reilly now gives Seattle four quarterbacks on the roster.

Seattle also signed cornerback Marcus Udell and receivers Chris Duvalt and Victor James, all tryout players who participated in the team’s three-day minicamp last week.

NFL free agency
  1. IBGoofy says:

More competition….

2. Audible says:

John Kitna II?!

3. Audible says:

Now we need a punter and kicker, so they have to look over their shoulders like everyone else. The competition thing seems to hit a snag when it comes to Okung. I guess Gibbs will be the one to push him.

Found this quote by Udell – Udell: “I’ve got speed and I like to hit. I’m a real physical corner. I like to play bump-and-run a lot and I have good size.”

I like his attitude. He’s listed 5’11 185 but his 4.58 40 listed by NFL Draft Scout may have been plenty fast at Middle Tenn., but I’m not sure that’s going to allow him to run with NFL receivers. Nevertheless, competition…

For those that may have missed it this afternoon (like me).

6. vichawkfan says:

Duke – thanks for sharing. I must admit, Matt is an impressive man. Always repected him as a player but also proud of the way he’s handled the past couple years.

Getting pumped for this year – as always, but this season seems to have a lot of spice to it.

7. Loved Reilly when he came out, him and Teel are going to battle it out, and it’s not going to be easy for any of them, because both (In my mind) were good projects when they came out. Like Teel better at them moment though

8. oceanic says:

There are going to be some great training camp/preseason battles:

Backup TE

Number one, two and three RB

The starting five O line is set but the four backup jobs are open

Every WR position except number two. That belongs to TJ

Backup elephant or leo. Actually, not sure Clemons has starter sewed up

Backup CB if Thurmond is 100%

oceanic – You really think a rookie is going to come in and take Wilson’s spot at corner? Not a chance this season. In nickle situations, when Wilson kicks in the cover the slot receiver, he may see some time, presuming he can out play Jennings. Thurmond has a world of potential, but he has a long way to go before he’s playing opposite Tru on a regular basis.

10. rollo73 says:

Dukeshire-

Hennings is an undersized bum. I will never forget the 2006 season (correct me if I’m wrong) when SF swept the Hawks. It was during the home game against SF and Jennings was on a CB blitz all alone, wrapped up Alex Smith who then literally stepped out of the sack and threw the game winning TD. Not to mention he gets worked in man to man, he really is a zone corner, and he’s not the best at that either. IMO Wilson is the best corner they have on the team by far. Then again I have never been a fan of Trufant at all. IMO his one great season was when he was in his contract year.

11. rollo73 says:

Oops, meant to say Jennings! Damn ergonomic keyboard!

12. oceanic says:

Duke, I don’t think you read my post correctly. I believe Thurmond will compete for backup CB.

Reilly played 46 games in college and he threw at least one TD pass in every one of those games, something no other QB has ever done.

Wait, maybe I misread that. Are you’re saying that he’ll compete for the #2 if he’s healthy? Or be installed as the #2 and the real competition will be for the “back up” roles? Actually, I’m not sure what you meant.

14. oceanic says:

I think Tru and Wilson start and Thurmond (if healthy) competes with Jennings for first backup corner. I could have made that clearer. If you think you are cnfused you should see me trying to read instructions on how to adjust the de-railer on my bike.

rollo73 – Jennings coverage ability is just fine. It’s his ball skills that are poor. Zone doesn’t work well for him IMO, simply because he lacks the instincts to play the ball in the air and he’s a poor tackler. I believe man coverage is his strength.

You and I are in agreement about Wilson.

oceanic – I did misread your post. And I feel your pain with those instructions. I’d probably be better off reading the German version, for all the good it would do me.

16. JMSeaTown says:

awesome.. Reilly beat Kitna’s records at Central, he’s not balding, and graduated in electrical engineering. Not a bad cat.

17. nighthawk2 says:

Pretty happy about this. Hated that he was signed by Dallas. Always like to have local products on the roster if possible.