Morning links: WR Tate opens eyes at camp

Post by Eric Williams on May 3, 2010 at 7:26 am with 21 Comments »
May 3, 2010 7:26 am
Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Golden Tate (Ted Warren/AP)

My story today focuses on the impact Notre Dame product Golden Tate had during Seattle’s post-draft minicamp last weekend.

Tate is an interesting prospect who compares favorably I think to Denver wide receiver Eddie Royal in terms of size and skill set.

They’re about the same size. Eddie Royal is 5-10, 180 pounds. Tate is 5-11, 195 pounds. And they’re about the same speed. Royal, who earned the nickname “Fast Eddie” while at Virginia Tech, ran a 4.39, 40-yard time at the combine in 2008, while Tate ran a 4.42 this year.

Royal also bench pressed 225 pounds 24 times. Tate pushed up 225 pounds 17 times.

But the best comparison is the two’s ability to create big plays with the ball in their hands. They are both elusive, open-field runners who can create a big play from anywhere on the field, and expect Jeremy Bates to get the ball to Golden Tate in the open field similar to the way he got the ball to Royal two years ago.

Royal finished with 91 catches for 980 yards and five touchdowns for a 10.8 yard per catch average as a rookie in Jeremy Bates’ offense in 2008. Of course, the Broncos threw the ball about 70 percent of the time with Jay Cutler under center. Tate will be lucky to catch 50 balls as a rookie this season. I don’t think Seattle will throw nearly as much this season. But it’s interesting to note Royal’s production in Bates’ offense, pointing to the fact that Bates should have an understanding of how to get Tate the ball in similar situations.

Here are some highlights of how Bates used Royal in 2008.

And if you’re interested in seeing Tate in action last season, click here.

Will Brinson of AOL Fanhouse discusses the fantasy prospects of Tate and other Seattle players here.

Greg Johns of Seattlepi.com offers more details on Red Bryant’s conversion to defensive end.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com reports that the Seahawks look much better in terms of depth than they did two weeks ago.

John Boyle of the Everett Herald says the safety Lawyer Milloy is embracing his new role as mentor.

ESPN’s Mike Sando reports that if the Seahawks decided to cut linebacker Leroy Hill to save that $6 million in salary, they could attempt to recover $1.6 million of his $2 million option bonus from this year.

Sports Illustrated’s Peter King discusses the Vicodin case in New Orleans and Walter Jones’ legacy in his Monday Morning Quarterback column.

Morning links
  1. oceanic says:

Okung, from game one will be better than anyone the Hawks had at LT last season and Hamilton will be an upgrade at LG. The left side has to be better.

I just don’t get the Forsett thing. J Jones had 177 carries, 663 yards for a 3.7 ave and two TDs. Forsett had 114 carries, 619 yards, a 5.4 ave and four TDs. He clearly outplayed Jones but remained the backup. It can’t be his size. Barry Sanders, Warrick Dunn, MJD all Forsetts size or smaller.

Mora didn’t see it. Not sure PC sees it. White will probably start at RB but it will be a shame if Forsett isn’t given an honest shot.

My first reaction after reading that Saints story was that someone associated with an NFL team has to steal vicodin to get their hands on it? I wonder how many prescriptions Vitt was given before they cut him off. And I’d also like to know for what Santini was “discharged” because the whole thing reads like a bitter former employee whose trying to make trouble for his ex bosses. The fact he sought $2 million to not file suit says a lot about what kind of person he is.

The Walt story right below was an interesting tie in considering his intolerance and allergies to pain medication. Despite that he still only missed 12 game in 12 seasons (last year not withstanding). I don’t know that most of us can appreciate how tough that had to have been. That’s heart.

I think the Royal comparisons are fair. Although, Hass doesn’t have the arm Cutler does and won’t make as many long downfield throws from the pocket. What I do expect to see a lot of however, is that play we see in the video numerous times where Cutler rolls to his right and finds Royal 15-20 yards on crossing patterns. I envision that becoming a staple of their passing repertoire.

oceanic – I love the Little Big Man too and am rooting hard for him. I think he’ll be fine. And one thing I am absolutely confident in is that he will be given “an honest shot”. I really don’t think Carroll give’s a rip about anything other than performance. I would be very surprised if the opening day threesome isn’t Forsett, White, Washington (presuming the leg is heeled). That said, they’re going to have to earn it. This made me smile from yesterday’s practice on Seahawks.com –

“During the scrimmage scenario, tailback Justin Forsett turned in a long, slicing rush that set up a short touchdown run on the next play.”

4. If Mike Williams really does step up, then I don’t mind having guys like Branch, Butler and Tate, but if he doesn’t we seriously need some big safe target for Matt (or Whitehurst)

5. Audible says:

Just introduce MIke Williams to Jenny Craig, and I think he’ll be alright.

JacDG, don’t forget Housh, Carlson, and McCoy.

6. rollo73 says:

From what I’ve read ans seen about the mini-camps, the only person not really performing in the ZBS is Jones. He looks to be the odd man out. I think Forsett will see playing time this season for sure. I don’t believe that the competition at every position is just to set the opening day roster, it’s to keep the best players on the field every game.

7. Are they practicing KR and PR, if so, is Tate doing that. I envision him scoring a couple if he’s the guy next season.

8. Of course I won’t forget about (especially) Housh and Carlson, but I’m still not sure about Housh, I don’t know why, but he didn’t impress me in any way last season, he was pretty consistent though. Carlson is a beast no doubt, one of the best young tight ends in the game right now, if not the best.

Eric’s post has me thinking about who the WRs will end up being. One question keeps coming to mind; at what point do they cut Branch? I was skeptical about his health for an entire season before this latest “clean up” in his knee. Do they wait for the next mini camp and see how he competes and how M. Williams is progressing? Does he make it to and through camp in August? I can’t imagine he has a lick of trade value and yet when healthy, he can be productive. I’ve got to believe Housh, Tate, Butler are locks. After that it seems wide open. He’s scheduled to make $5.4 mil this year. That’s nuts! I realize Carroll had very positive things to say after the last mini camp, but there he is, on the shelf again. Unless they are convinced this is the very final step regarding his seemingly endless knee injuries… When is enough going to be enough with this guy? (More of a rant than anything…)

10. Audible says:

“Seahawks sign WR Chris Duvalt to a 3 year deal”

That’s a long contract for an undrafted rookie FA, if they only want him to play the slot during training camp. They must see more in him that just that. Does anyone know something about this guy?

11. No guaranteed money, I am sure, so it really does not matter how long the contract is for. It is actually an advantage to the Seahawks to sign any undrafted FA for 3 years since they probably signed him for the minimum, and if he is good, he is locked in at that money. If he stinks, they will let him go anyway.

I wish I did. His numbers at Illinois are very modest. Everything I know about him can be found here…

13. surelyyoujest says:

I think the Branch situation will take care of itself. He’ll never make it to the regular season healthy, so the decision will be easy when the time comes. I think it’s also relatively easy to pick who 3 or 4 of the receivers will be (TJ, Tate, Butler are all locks) but the pecking order is more difficult to determine. If either Williams or Williams actually shines, the last couple of spots will be a dogfight….which is the way you want it.

Without counting on Tate to much as a rookie, I’m not a big fan of our receiving corps just yet. I think our TE situation on the other hand has the potential to be killer. But our passing game will really hinge on our ability to run the darn ball. If we can’t find a running back situation that gets us into the top half of the league in rushing, our passing game will suffer accordingly. We don’t have the players to throw it every down when the defense knows it’s coming.

14. BobbyK says:

I know the Broncos weren’t happy with Royal running deep routes last year and are going to move him back inside this year (i.e. playing players to their strengths, what a good idea). I like the Bates/Royal/Tate comparisons. Bates and Royal had Brandon Marshall to ensure the other WRs got single coverage though. Housh/Branch aren’t going to strike fear into any defensive coordinators.

15. Stevos says:

I would agree with everyone who thinks White, Washington, and Forsett are likely to open the season at RB, while Julius Jones is probably done here.

But for as for why Jones got more carries than Forsett last year? I think it is because our offensive line was poor, Hass was getting hurried and hit, which kept killing our offense. That made pass-protection job #1 for the RB. Julius Jones, for all his injuries, is superior at pass-pro. Sadly, there was no more important job for the RB last year, and that’s why Julius ended up getting the playing time.

This year, I think Leon Washington, once healthy, takes over this offense. White and Forsett should have plenty of roles to play in subbing for Leon, but I think Leon will be the man.

16. rollo73 says:

Brock Huard was absolutely raving about the play of Mike Williams on his radio show today. He didn’t say a word about Reggie. He said that M. Williams “just stood out” and is showing everybody why he was a first round and top-10 talent a few years back. If he makes the team and cracks the regular rotation it will be a trmendous upgrade to the Hawks otherwise undersized WR corps.

My opinion on Branch is that they should let him go. Judging from the last two years of drafting WR’s (Butler & Tate) it wouldn’t make sense to keep him around anymore. I know that Butler has trouble running routes and his hands are questionable right now, but they should really think about streaking him down the sidelines to open other guys up. The old Joey Galloway experiment.

17. mojjonation says:

Isn’t Jones a holdover from the Holmgren era? Holmgren was notorious for staying with guys too long that he prized. See Jeremy Stevens and Koren Robinson for examples. Bill Parcells let him go for some reason while he was at Dallas, and we really haven’t seen him do much since he got here. Then again, when you can’t throw and you load up to stop the run, there is nothing anyone can do about anything. Jones may make it to a couple of preseason games, but if he doens’t show us anything, he could be gone before the regular season starts.

Branch should be released. The only time this guy shows up is when his but is on the line. Unless we can make him feel like he could be released every Monday, I don’t see us getting anything productive from him.

When someone says Butler has a problem wit his hands, I’m trying to figure out why. MH doesn’t put that much zip on the ball. The veteran receivers that we have with us now, should be able to teach Butler how to run proper routes and read defenses. At Penn State he mite of been an afterthought since JoePa loves to run the ball, but he had to do something right to rack up numbers there. Product of a system maybe? Could have been a wasted draft pick on a receiver. Hey haven’t we done this before?