Carroll says Red Bryant catching on at DE

Post by Eric Williams on May 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm with 17 Comments »
May 2, 2010 3:23 pm

Defensive lineman Red Bryant, now heading into his third year, continues to see time at defensive end, and according to Carrol showed improvement over the three-day camp. Bryant did block a pass from the defensive end position today during a team scrimmage, and continues to split time at defensive end and defensive tackle. Carroll said defensive line coach Dan Quinn came up with the idea of playing Bryant outside.

“Obviously it gives us a big guy playing over there,” Carroll said. “And with what we’re trying to do in the run game, he made a good showing. Now, it’s going to take all the way until we get to camp in pads and all that kind of stuff to get a good assessment. But this is, I would think, by far the best condition he’s been in, in years. He’s worked diligently in the offseason program. He’s feet our quick and he’s still a big man.”

Playing Bryant outside gives Seattle the versatility of playing more of a 3-4 look at times, with Aaron Curry coming down and being that fifth player off the edge of the defense, so Bryant isn’t responsible for getting to the perimeter of the defense as a traditional defensive end would be.

“With what the coach is trying to get done with the 5-technique right there, it’s basically the same technique as the nose tackle,” Bryant said. “He’s going to be a guy who tries to set a point at the line of scrimmage. He’s going to be a guy who really takes on more of the right tackles, the maulers. So it’s really not that big of a transition, besides the space. And we’re going to have a guy on the outside to help with that.”

Bryant said his father-in-law, legendary Seahawks’ defensive end Jacob Green, constantly reminds him that his red-shirt years are over, and that he needs to step up.

“I talk to him all the time,” Braynt said about Green. “He’s extremely tough on me. He tells me all the time in year three, they kind of get an idea if you’re going to be a player or not. And so he’s brutally honest with me. And that’s what you need, especially in this business. You need somebody to be honest with you. And he’s always going to be there for that.”

Bryant said he hasn’t told Green that he’s been playing some defensive end, and understands he will continue to get some ribbing about his weight from his father-in-law, who would like to see Bryant around 290-300 pounds, instead of 320.

Linebacker Leroy Hill has missed his second minicamp since being arrested for an alleged domestic disturbance three weeks ago at his Issaquah home. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said nothing has changed in terms of Hill’s status with the league.

“The situation hasn’t changed at all,” Carroll said. “As far as I know nothing has taken place yet, so we’re going to continue to let him take care of his business until we know more,” Carroll said.

Carroll went on to say that the team has told Hill to continue and stay away from the facility and handle his personal matters.

“We don’t need the distraction right now, and he needs to focus on getting his business taken care of,” Carroll said.

Carroll had more kind words for Mike Williams. With T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Deion Branch and Ben Obomanu out, Williams was running with the first unit this weekend.

“To see Mike come out here and be effective again in the second camp, that’s a really good sign for him,” Carroll said. “He’s definitely in a place where he’s really competitive. Physically, it’s the best I’ve seen him since maybe his sophomore year of college. So he’s very serious about it, so maybe he has a chance to give us some help.”

Carroll also said the other Williams in camp, UW product Reggie Williams, has had is moments as well, and that both will continue to compete throughout the offseason and likely up until training camp starts at the end of July.

“Reggie’s done better,” Carroll said. “He’s getting in better shape from where he was on the first camp. He’s continued to progress also. It’s going to be a long haul for those guys. Those guys are working their way back, and it’s going to be an assessment that you make over a long period of time.”

Another UW product that continues to see time is Joe Toledo. The former Huskies’ tight end has been working with the second unit at right tackle. And with Seattle’s lack of depth at the tackle position, Toledo, a tryout player, remains an option to continue on in the team’s offseaosn program.

“We’re not finding a lot of candidates out there in the free agent area, so Joe has a chance,” Carroll said. “We’ve stuck him in there with the 2s quite a bit. Joe’s played around a little, played all the spots up front, which is good. He’s got some versatility to him. But we’re going to give him a really good look.”

The Seahawks are scheduled to have OTAs on May 11 and May 13, and the next minicamp is June 22-24.

Notes from practice

If, in certain packages you had Bryant and Cole on the strong side, that would have to free Curry up to get after the QB. And if Bryant is able to play effectively there, that would give them a lot more flexibility across the line as well. Henderson could continue to work a bit at the 3 tech which may finally spell the end for Terrill. (For the record, I don’t take issue with his effort, only his talent.) I like the big fella working.

I hope Eric doesn’t mind, but below is a link form Seahawks.com that highlights today’s final practice. Tying in with his post, Cornbread had a great day…

3. BobbyK says:

We should be stout at the point with our playmakers flying around. Looks like Curry, Tatupu, and Thomas are going to have big guys gobbling up blockers so they can focus on flying around and making plays.

4. williambryan says:

I think it is the end for Terrill also because of Vickerson coming over. Terrill has made quite a few plays over the years (a few sacks at just the right time as well as a blocked kick or two). I just have to think that Bryant is going to make some plays if given a chance. and it looks like he will get those chances.

5. chuck_easton says:

Sounds like Mike Williams is making the most of his 4th chance in the NFL (Lions, Raiders, Titans).

If he really is taking this seriously and has come to the team in shape and ready to compete we may get a steal of a WR there.

TJ, Tate, Butler, M. Williams, Branch and Obo fighting for that 5th spot, and Morey pretty much as been given the 6th spot for ST purposes already.

6. klm008 says:

Mr Williams –
    Would you please describe the “new style” of defensive secondary play the Hawks are using?

7. BobbyK says:

IF – IF – IF Mike Williams has his head screwed on right, I agree, he could be a FA steal. I know some people are concerned by his lack of separation skills, but that doesn’t really bother me (granted, I’d love for him to be a 4.2 guy w/separation skills) because he has such a big body, with long arms. If utilized properly, he can use that big ol’ body to shield defenders who are all over him.

Tate and Butler will ideally be the “separation” guys. I for one am not worried about WIlliams running by people, and I don’t think that’s what’s expected of him either. I do agree, if he works out he would be a tremendous steal.

9. BobbyK says:

I’ve just heard many comments that he lacks separation. And this is what you and I don’t care about because of his huge frame, long arms, and sure hands. Housh has limited “separation” skills and he’s a good guy in his role (i.e. not a deep threat). Yes. Even though Butler was a slow fast man last year, we’ve talked at great length in the past about the improvement that players make from year 1 to year 2… those strides are tremendous. And I expect Butler to step up this season. With him improving and Tate’s natural playmaking ability, it’s going to be more fun watching things happen this season (not to mention the Okung solidifying LT thing, and Hamilton tutoring him and Spencer… and that goofy Unger taking the second year leap and Lock playing a position he’s good at:) Not to mention actually seeing John Carlson this year! The O could take a heck of a leap!

I’m with you 100%. I loved reading Carlson and Hass hooking up several times yesterday and today, too.

This is going to be an especially long wait to training camp, I’m ready for it now. From May 13th’s OTA to June’s mini-camp is a long month. Then from that until the end of July can’t go fast enough!

Something else I’ve been thinking about; I’m very happy that early reports are that Kam Chancellor has been impressive in coverage. If he can step in a be the well rounded safety I think he can, that should free them up to use Thomas in some safety blitzs. With his speed and sure tackling, he could be great in that role. When was the last time Seattle had safety play (or secondary play in general) that allowed them to use those blitz packages? In addition, if Jennings can regain some form or Thurmond or someone else can step up and allow Wilson back to covering the slot receiver, they can take advantage of his speed to rush the QB. Good safety play is so critical to any defense and it’s been years since Seattle has had that. Something else to look forward to.

12. SeanCarney says:

Duke, i firmly believe our safety’s should be addressed by their official titles Earl “The Predator” Thomas and Kam “The Law” Chancellor.

13. Stevos says:

This is great news about Bryant being in top shape and being tried out at LDE. Makes a lot of sense to use his size there if he can keep his weight down and improve his techniques. Mostly, I hope he stays healthy for a change. Red has been a heart-breaker. Too many times last year, from summer training camp all through the early season I rooted for Red to step it up and help the D line. At first he couldn’t get healthy, and then he couldn’t show Quinn and Bradley enough to get on the field and play much. He ended last season without helping the team one whit. I’m done rooting for him and being disappointed. He knows its up to him now. Don’t disappoint us again, Red.

14. Looking better and better by the day, I don’t want to get my hopes up too high though (like last year) But this certainly looks promising and our receivers could be a sleeper unit on our team.

15. tcronk says:

Last year I heard nothing but great things about Corey Redding and Brandon Mebane in these camps. What I learned – Don’t believe any hype until you see in it during the season.

16. BobbyK says:

I expected more from Mebane in rushing the passer last year, but that guy is stout in the run game. Look what happened in the first San Fran game. They ran the ball down our throats. It’s not a coincidence that he missed that game. He had a very good year even though the pass rushing production was not what we wanted.