Report: Hawks interested in Buffalo RB Lynch

Post by Eric Williams on April 13, 2010 at 8:08 pm with 53 Comments »
April 13, 2010 8:08 pm

According to a report from Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports, the Buffalo Bills would consider offers for running back Marshawn Lynch. Robinson reports sources have told him the Seattle Seahawks have had internal discussions about the possibility of going after the Lynch.

The Bills are reportedly seeking second round compensation in a trade for Lynch. Seattle holds the 28th pick in the second round, the 60th overall pick in the draft.

Like current Seahawks running back Justin Forsett, Lynch played at Cal, so he’s familiar with the zone blocking scheme.

Lynch, 23, has twice ran for over 1,000 yards in the league. However, the fourth-year pro was suspended the first three games of the 2009 season for violating the league’s personal conduct policy, stemming from a guilty plea for a misdemeanor gun charge.

NFL free agency
  1. I know Lynch is a talented RB but what I don’t know is if he’s any good at blocking (i.e. picking up the blitz). Does anyone know?

2. A 2nd rounder is not much for a RB of his talent. I’d pull the trigger on this one…no pun intended ;-)

Can you imagine…we land BM, Marshawn Lynch, Charles Brown, Eric Berry, one of the Williams guys steps up…all of a sudden we have a team thats’ flying under the radar.

3. fuzzybear says:

I don’t hate this…

4. BenderHawkFan says:

Beast mode! Seems like he lost a step last year to me–he looked sort of slower. But he can certainly catch the ball well, and at his age, I can see the appeal.

As long as he sports his grill more than his gat…meh…why not.

5. variable575 says:

POLL Q.

Who’s going to be more successful in the NFL(generally speaking)…..

Spiller or Best?

BEST!!!!! wouldn’t it be sad if Best slipped to the 40+ spot.

Forget Lynch!!!!!! Whoever said it looked like he lost a step was right.

6. The only problem I have with this is I’d really like to see Forsett get a chance to be the guy.

7. Not crazy about Lynch. Has off-field problems and isn’t a super-talent like BM. Seriously, Forsett would get more yards than this guy.

8. chuck_easton says:

moo,

I’m guessing you are about 5 foot 4 inches tall and weigh about 100 lbs soaking wet.

You are always championing the small guys like Forsett and Reed.

Was Rudy your favorite movie by any chance? :)

Just kidding. We all root for the underdog. That is why there are so many ‘feel good’ movies based on the idea.

I said earlier and I’ll say it again. If the team is down to Reed being the starter and playing the majority of the time at DE we are in big trouble. Same with Forsett. He’s a great change of pace back, but if he is asked to carry the ball 20-25 times a game his career will be very short (no pun intended).

I love having him on the team. I love watching him run. I just don’t think he’d hold up to the pounding of being a featured back.

9. wabubba67 says:

Lynch is only 23?…seems like he has been around for awhile. A 2nd rounder is not a bad deal at all! Dude runs with a mean streak, can catch and can block! Try to find that in the 2nd round…by the way, most of the guys that you’ll be drafting are also 22 or 23.

10. StevenMunn says:

I would rather use the 2nd round pick to get Brandon Marshall.

11. snydro81 says:

Two quick thoughts on Lynch:

1.) It’s hard to “lose a step” at age 23. That made me chuckle.

2.) I challenge anyone to find me an uglier NFL player. Holy crap.

12. Marshawn Lynch 5-11/217, 4.5-40, ranked 8th of 131 RBs at blocking last season – that was his strong suite. Lynch played average every game last season except he played poor vs JAX. He was spread fairly evenly accross the OL at hitting all the gaps, and getting pretty even performance. In ’08 he ran for 1036 yds on 250 carries. Fred Jackson swapped positions with him this year.

13. vichawkfan says:

what connections does Charles Robertson have to the “internal discussions” about Lynch. 10 days until draft and the rumours are going to be flying big time.
    My gut tells me Hawks won’t get Marshall. The length of time this has taken with us as the only pony in the race, just means some other team that has more seasoned FO people than the Hawks are going to snatch him.

14. make it happen

15. if the price is right

16. I agree that Jahvid is the Best of the RB’s in this draft but no way he falls to 60. Lynch might be worth that 60 but he has been out performed by Fred Jackson, a back that wasn’t drafted. Not that being drafted realy matters but the fact that another gains more ypc behind the same line.

Lynch is much to young to have lost a step and far as I know hasn’t sustained injury. Possible the fight has been knocked outta the dog?

17. variable575 says:

Snydro-

It might be hard to lose a step at 23. However, not if you take hits in the NFL at the RB position, hello?

And based on performance he did in fact appear to have lost a step. Not saying he can’t regain it back. And i’m not saying his performance last yr was horrible.

It’s nice that you can find humor in the mundane.

18. variable575 says:

………..BTW Snydro,

You’re right about the ugliest player, no offense to him. I’m racking my brain trying to think of someone else that would give lynch a run for his money in regards to that title. Maybe Pacman jones??

19. variable575 says:

excile-

I’m just throwing it out there but I thought Lynch had a knee issue last year.

Anyone recollect that being an issue for him?

20. Lynch is not worth a second round pick at all. He’s never been that good, and he got replaced by Fred Lynch. A 2nd rounder would be completely overpaying for him. Then again, this is Pete Carroll we’re talking about…

21. Fred Jackson, sorry.

22. variable575 says:

Has anyone heard of how Hurst performed today??

I’m sure it will only add to my arsenal of “what the he!! where they thinking” ammo! I can’t wait for pre-season. Really, this will be the most entertaining one in years!!!!

23. nighthawk2 says:

Is there someone on a trading block Seattle is interested in that DOESN’T have a rap sheet? I guess that would exclude about 75% of the NFL though.

How would we get Marshall, Lynch, Brown and Berry? Either Marshall or Lynch would require a 2nd round pick, and if they were stupid enough to give up a 1st round for Marshall we couldn’t get both Brown and Berry.

24. chuck_easton says:
    April 13, 2010 at 9:10 pm

moo,

You are always championing the small guys like Forsett and Reed

Chuck, I’m actually 5.9 & fatter then I’d care to admit to! Both with Forsett/Reed & a few mariners too when I see guys really play well in a limited role & the team SUCKS, I’d like to see what they can do.

I’ve said this before, Forsett reminds me a lot of Darren Sproles, who I’ve only seen against the Hawks but he a;ways seems to eat the Hawks for lunch! (It may be all Sproles eats, but……)

25. If nothing else, the 2010 Hawks are going to be very different them their predecessors.

26. Wierdbeard doesn’t have a rap sheet (yet).

27. Yeah, I hope Whitehurst at least ends up being better then Seneca (I’m not counting on it!).

28. CDHawkFan says:

BM to the Fins. Please no to M Lynch, we can get someone with 2-3 more years worth of beating at #60, probably more hunger as well.

Well, this drama finally comes to an end. And can I say for the record, I’m glad. It never felt right to me, despite his crazy, freak talent.

30. Marshall over Lynch any day, draft a power back in the 4th or 5th, I think with a better o-line, JJ and Forsett will get it done. They won’t set any positive records, but not negative records either.

31. By getting two second rounders for BM, the Brocos made out better than I thought they would.

32. We have a 100 year old Housh, a worthless pile in Branch, and the slowest fast man who has to run around in the shower to get wet in Butler. Our WRs are bad.

33. As a group.

34. maddog12 says:

Well I must confess to being a little disappointed. But, I would not have wanted to have the Hawks pay that price. Just goes to show you a deal isn’t done till its done and sometimes the best deals are the ones you don’t do.

So we will wait and see what happens next…

Brandon Marshall on South Beach? That doesn’t sound like a problem. I have to imagine his contract contains behavior clauses like Crabtrees’s or something like it.

36. I’m glad Marshall will be a Dolphin.

Does PC procure FAs from an NFL wire or a police blotter?

37. I am a bit worried about our WR’s now. But if Marshall would have cost us the same as the Fins have offered! Not a good move for us. Lets move on and find someone that can help us now, we won’t be able to fix all our holes in the draft alone!

38. It does stink of the Dielman process when we lost Hutch though. Come to the Hawks, probably have a contract offer set up – use it to sign with a team other than us! Never mind, we don’t want players that won’t wear Seahawk Blue with pride anyways!

39. BrianBlades says:

Too bad it would have cost so much to get Marshall.

Anyone care to guess whether Miami just got better or not? I’m sure he’ll be suspended by mid-season and out of the league by 2012, haha.

40. BrianBlades-

Yes, Miami just got a lot better! BM won’t be suspended by mid-season down there, nor will he be out of the league by 2012. You have to remember this, The Tuna runs the show down there, and has had plenty of time dealing with primadonna’s (Key Johnson, TO) and crackheads (Lawrence Taylor). I would hazard a guess that he is going to have BM in his office first thing in the morning, and telling him to get his s**t together. The Tuna would not have pulled the trigger on this deal if he didn’t think he could handle him. Look for BM to fly under the radar for at least this season on his off the field persona, and way on the radar with his on the field play. Every team in the AFC East just changed their entire draft boards, and all the mockery drafts will change by the end of the day. My guess is if the Jets would not have got Holmes then the Hawks would have got BM.

41. seahawklovertoo says:

Marshall is a Dolphin for 2nd this + 2 in 2011 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. Very sad to see the Seahawks sit on their hands while Brandon Marshall gets traded to a team that has the balls to win. Miami knew that Brandon Marshall was among only a few players in the NFL who could come in and immediately help them wreak havoc against the Jets.

Likewise, Marshall was one of the very few players who could have walked onto Qwest Field and struck fear into the hearts of the Cardinals and 49ers. Now, we will take the field with Houshmandzadeh, Branch, Obomanu, and Butler, and those guys don’t scare anybody. This rebuild of our offense just got longer.

To all of you who insisted that the Seahawks were in the drivers’ seat on this and could afford to wait around to let Marshall fall to them on draft day, remember this day. If the Seahawks truly wanted Marshall (and I’m not sure if that was true) then they blew it by waiting.

43. On one hand, I’m definitely glad his garbage isn’t coming at the price of a pair of 2nd rounders. Even if we did offer the same price, you know the Broncos would have made the trade with Miami just for the fact that their 2nd rounder this year is higher than ours.

On the other hand, I’m really sad that Matt has to end his career in Seattle throwing to a bunch of losers. Sure, Housh is a fine #2 (as long as he had a legit #1 to take coverage/pressure off of him) but, overall, our WRs, as a group, are definitely below average. Combine below average WRs with a bad OL and you have the recipe for crappy QB play.

I wonder if we’re in the market for Ginn? I know he’s not a great WR, but that guy has some serious big play potential as a KR. And it doesn’t seem he’ll cost a lot. Getting him may make the FO not look to Spiller as much since some of his appeal is his greatness returning kicks, too. We could still add a Morgan/Brown in the 1st so quality could be added to both lines of scrimmage. It’s going to be an interesting week, that’s for sure.

44. This is a perfect opportunity to get Marshawn Lynch! You just don’t trade a RB like Lynch for a 2nd round pick unless there is a PR problem, which Lynch has.

I grew up near Buffalo, so I always watch the Bills closely. Marshawn Lynch has always reminded me of Marion Barber, but with more strength than Barber. He is not afraid of contact; he is the type of back who leaves bruises on defensive players. He attacks his hole in the line of scrimmage and bolts through. Exactly what you want a zone RB to do.

Lynch would immediately become our starting RB, and Forsett would play in his shadow and on special teams, where Forsett belongs. Julius Jones would no longer be needed on our team. I hope they go for it.

The only problem with this plan is that they may need that 2nd round pick to draft a WR, since they procrastinated and lost out on Brandon Marshall.

45. “Dukeshire says: Brandon Marshall on South Beach? That doesn’t sound like a problem.”

Ha. Funny, Duke. Yeah, we will have to keep our eye on the tabloids at the grocery store this year and see if Brandon makes the front pages.

I agree with everything except your last sentence. There’s no way of knowing what the ‘Hawks offered, or if they were able to reach a contract with Marshall in order to make a serious offer or what other teams were interested. There is no way they could have given up 2 seconds for him. Going into next year without a 2nd and 3rd round pick? Thank god they didn’t. But I agree that Parcells is equipped to handle troublesome players that bust their asses on the field.

Oops, that was for rollo73.

48. seahawklovertoo says:

Sorry for the late post….I was working and turned on to ESPN . Didn’t read your posts about it ; just posted it in haste. I guess I didn’t discover America . LOL

BobbyK – If I may; we all have a tendency to get carried away but let’s be patient with all the WR bashing for now. It’s April. There are a lot of moves to be made still. The unit may not be what we would prefer now but this is a work in progress. In any case, hopefully you understand the spirit in which this was intended.