Morning links: Clausen pro day today

Post by Eric Williams on April 9, 2010 at 8:26 am with 31 Comments »
April 9, 2010 8:26 am

The spotlight is on Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen, as he begins his pro day this workout this morning in South Bend.

Gil Brandt of the NFL Network has all the details here.

It’s an important day for Clausen, who has fallen all the way to 30th overall in some mock drafts. Clausen will workout for the Jacksonville Jaguars after the workout.

Todd McShay of ESPN, who has been down on Clausen, says it’s important for the Notre Dame quarterback to perform well and answer the questions about his toe injury. You have to be an ESPN insider to view the article.

Michael Lombardi of the National Football Post has Seattle taking Clemson running back C.J. Spiller in his top-10 mock draft.

Sport Illustrated’s Ross Tucker explains why lying and coaching go hand in hand.

Here’s a list of OTA workouts for all of the NFL Teams. Seattle will hold off-season workouts on May 11, May 13, May 18, May 20, May 25, May 27, June 8, June 10, June 15 and June 17. The Seahawks also will hold two, minicamps after the draft, but have not locked in the dates for when they will be held. Seattle’s pre-draft, minicamp begins on Tuesday.

Bucky Brooks of the NFL Network hands out draft grades for the NFC West.

Morning links
  1. I agree with the grade given to Seattle by Brooks, looking back at every draft pick we have made during the last few years scared me a little, hopefully our new organization will eventually turn things around for us, not only better drafting but just in general being a better team.

Here’s one example why Brooks is an idiot: he includes Josh Wilson in a group of 3 (Jackson and Curry) that has “… contributed to the team’s rapid decline” because he has not developed into an elite player. Well Bucky, Wilson was drafted to return kicks and be the teams nickel / slot corner, not to play opposite Tru. He has been thrust into that position as a result of injury and Jennings inability to play at a consistently capable level. Holmgren said many times that Wilson will “make is money covering the slot”. Despite that, he has been a solid contributor at starting corner and has been arguably the teams best the past two seasons. To include him in a group with Curry (who after his rookie season has contributed to their decline?) and Jackson (who has yet to establish himself as anything) is absolute non-sense. A terrible take.

3. How are we feeling about local boy Reggie Williams? Sando has a take–

Clausen on ESPN just said the only 3 teams that he’ll be working out privately for are the Bills, Rams and ‘Skins. So while Seattle was in South Bend today, they haven’t requested a workout, for what that’s worth.

5. The one thing I like about Michael Lombardi’s mock draft is he has Trent Williams still available when the Seahawks draft at #6. Either Berry or Williams would be a great pick at that spot.

But Spiller? A small quick RB at #6? To a team that already has two smallish starting RBs? To a team that desperately needs a starting LT and a starting S? Noooooooooo.

6. I’m glad they are bringing in Williams for a tryout. Why not. Maybe Williams makes the most of this last chance, and Seahawks have holes to fill at WR.

Here is how Doug Farrar saw Williams fitting in with Seattle a year ago, when the rumors of him coming first surfaced. I’d be curious how he sees it now, with Burleson gone and a new offensive coordinator.

8. yankinta says:

I hope he does really well so that we can get good trade value with Buffalo and/or another team…..

Go Clausen!!!!!

9. BrianBlades says:

I’m not a Clausen booster at all, but I do think it’s bogus and damaging the way that the media can control a message about someone without any evidence whatsoever.

I don’t want the Hawks to take him, as we have other needs, but I’ll be rooting for him to do better than Bradford in future years (particularly if Bradford goes to the Rams obviously).

10. What if:
    Alex Gibbs can turn a no-name OL into something that’s good enough in run-blocking and pass-pro? He coaches up the current OLers and gets late-rounders and UDFAs to make up the OL and they actually click this year?

Hawks take Spiller at 6, and they have both a returner that averages on the order of 25-30 yds per KR and 10-15 yds per PR, and can make the outside zone run work for the offense? If Spiller looks like he may have the ball and Beck is rolling out, who’s gonna go after Matt? They’re gonna look like a defensive student body left (or right) following Spiller, and Matt’s gonna be all alone with nothing but WRs deep in front of him. Either that, or Spiller actually has the ball and still makes the edge because Hawks WRs actually block.

Hawks take Dez Bryant at 14 (if he gets past MIA – even though Dez had dinner with / talked to Neon Deion), and get somebody who can make the catch in traffic with YAC, prys some coverage away from TJ, and runs over CBs and FSs on the way to the endzone?

Playmakers would be a good thing.

11. Low Risk Potential High Reward with Reggie Williams. He’s young, 6’4″ and 212 pounds. I think Carroll may be able to reach him and help him get his carreer back on track. This is another reason I am so glad Ruskell is gone…he was so arrogant and self righteous, he’d never consider giving a guy like Reggie Williams a chance.

Gibbs was brought in to do exactly that. Not that a talent upgrade isn’t a necessity, but hiring him for that very reason is essentially the whole point. And Carroll is on record as saying that they need explosive players. That said, I can’t see any way they go Spiller / Bryant, regardless if they are available. Perhaps one, but not both. Not with no many other needs (DE, S, LT) that can be settled with one of those picks.

Audible – I agree to a point. You must admit, Williams’ arrest record can’t be dismissed entirely but I’ll admit, bringing him in for a workout now certainly can’t hurt.

14. snydro81 says:

Clausen, who left Notre Dame after his junior season and was unable to work out until now due to his toe injury, went directly from his pro day workout into a three-hour private workout for the Seattle Seahawks, who were represented Friday by offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates and quarterback coach Jedd Fisch. Clausen was scheduled to fly to Buffalo for a visit with the Bills after Friday’s workout. – NFL.com

15. snydro81 says:

This is great news. Win-win-win for us.

1.) If we love him, we take him at #6 now that Washington has their QB.

3.) It means if a team wants to get our #6 pick from us, they must pay a steep price.

I’m hoping our talent evaluators decide they’d prefer to wait until 2011 to draft the QB of the future, and Clausen impresses the hell out of Buffalo.

16. snydro81 says:

Revision –

2.) If someone jumps us to take him, it means one of the two premier LT options are there at #6. **And even better, if one of the two LT options ISN’T available, it means that Gerald McCoy has fallen into our laps.**

17. chuck_easton says:

I just saw that as well snydro.

OK, if you are in the anti Claussen camp you are hoping beyond hope that this was a bluff to get somebody to trade with us.

If you like Claussen you will be encouraged.

Not sure how I feel. I don’t dislike him, but I also think there are more pressing needs than to use the #6 (or even the #14) for a luxery item. As stated before you don’t buy the Mercedes hood ornament and then put it on your Yugo. You buy a better car.

snydro81 – That’s interesting because immediately after the workout he had a sit down interview with Tod McShay. I watched it live and Tod asked him directly what teams he was scheduled to work out for. Clausen said that only 3 but none until he flew to Indy to have a check up on his toe then to Buffalo, down to St. Louis then back to South Bend for the Redskins. Odd.

19. If we take both CJ Spiller and Dez Bryant with our first 2 picks(6 &14) my tickets are for sale. It’ll prove the management has gotten into Leroys killer ganj.
    Neither is worthy of a top 6 pick, possibly one at 14

Playmakers will not work if they don’t have a line to work behind.

I don’t buy into the Gibbs guru thing about making low round linemen superheros quickly.
    We need linemen who can step in NOW!!!

No QB either with first picks.
    We have for too many other needs. OT, G, S, DE, and a Bruiser RB are the priorities(No more midget RB’s please).

Trading down for more picks would be a great option.

20. The problem with Gibbs ZBS is that he’ll turn mid to late round players into solid run blockers but they’ll still suck at pass protection. Run blocking is more about technique, whereas pass protection requires more actual talent, which his late round run-blocking linemen won’t have.

So, expect us to be a top ten team both running the ball and collecting sacks.

21. freedom_X says:

Even if Seattle drafts two OL in the1st round, that doesn’t mean the line is fixed this season. It’s an investment in the future. We’d be lucky if one of them was a good player as a rookie, especially at tackle. If the two best players there at 6 and 14 are linemen though, we should take them and set the stage for 2011 and beyond.

Unger was solid and promising, and I’m happy with his season, but I wouldn’t say he was a good player (above average) as a rookie. That’s what we should expect from our rookie linemen, instead of expecting even Walter Jones rookie impact (instantly won the starting job as a rookie, above average all season.)

*If* Gibbs can just get the run game into top 10, then having a credible running threat will help take some pressure off the QB. That’s a way a guy like C.J. Spiller can “help” the passing game indirectly.

Anyway at this point, I’d be ecstatic with the run game being top 10, and the pass game bottom 15, instead of both the run game *and* the pass game being bottom 15. It’s still a lot of progress.

22. Jimmy Clausen is on the cover of the ESPN magazine that I just got in the mail today (about 5 minutes ago). It’s already in the garbage.

23. torinaga says:

Pass protection becomes less of an issue when a defense fears your running game. No one was afraid of our running game last year so we got the kitchen sink thrown at us on almost every down, especially since Knapp’s play calling was so predictable.

Next year we won’t have a team like Indy who will throw on you no matter what you do, but we will have more success in the air if our run game improves.

24. snydro81 says:

LOL @ BobbyK..

Same here, only out west we recycle ;)

25. BenderHawkFan says:

Lol, I got my SI with Duke ncaa garbage on the front and gave it a similar treatment. Blegch.

26. Macabrevity says:

Guys, I really think it would be a mistake to pass on Clausen, just because we have our savior Whitehurst in the fold. I really think Charlie is only injury insurance for Hass and Pete Carroll. Pete didn’t want to face an injured QB followed by a 4-12 season, so he overpaid for a competent back up QB to insure himself against disaster.

Clausen could become a really, really good QB in the NFL. It would be a shame to miss out on that, just because we have a new clipboard holder.

The only guys I would take over Clausen at #6 would be:
    1) Suh (if by some chance of fate) he’s still around!
    2) Eric Berry (guy might be there, future dominator at safety)
    3 Trent Williams/Russel Okung (LT is the most important position on the team after QB)

That’s it.

Drafting anyone else at #6 is a reach, and a pass on a future stud at a key position.

27. Macabrevity says:

I should add Gerald McCoy to that list. I’m more of a Suh fan, but McCoy is maybe more likely to slip to us? Not sure, but he’s a no-brainer.

28. Macabrevity,

You listed all of these guys players that you would take before Clausen.

Bradford is at #1

Then: 2. Suh, 3. Berry, 4. McCoy, 5. Okung, 6. Williams in some order like that. At least one of your guys that you like more than Clausen will be available at #6, which means you think we shouldn’t draft Clausen.

29. Macabrevity says:

I made this post because I believe we’ll pass up on my guys AND Clausen as well.

I’ve got a hunch we go DE at #6, which I think is a big mistake this year.

30. Macabrevity says:

I also think Spiller at #6 is a mistake, as much as I do like him…you can get productive runners later in the draft.