Report: Tennessee QB Crompton to visit Seattle

Post by Eric Williams on March 29, 2010 at 2:11 pm with 36 Comments »
March 29, 2010 2:13 pm
Tennessee quarterback Jonathan Crompton

Tennessee quarterback Jonathan Crompton is scheduled to visit the Seahawks, according to this report from Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post. Crompton also will visit Jacksonville, Oakland and San Diego.

Crompton wasn’t invited to the combine, but Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll should have some good information on him through his relationship with former Tennessee head coach Lane Kiffin. And Seattle appears to still be in pursuit of a developmental quarterback to come in and compete with Mike Teel. Florida quarterback Tim Tebow also is scheduled to visit the Seahawks.

Crompton had an up-and-down career for the Vols, but finished the season strong, throwing for 2,800 yards, 27 touchdowns and 13 interceptions on the year. Crompton finished with 18 touchdowns and just five interceptions in his final eight games. Check out his stats here.

As far as the Brandon Marshall sweepstakes goes, we’re still waiting to see what team will show Marshall the money.

Dave Krieger of the Denver Post attempts to clear the air on whether or not the Broncos offered wide receiver Brandon Marshall a lucrative deal that he turned down before the beginning of last season. Krieger also says that more teams than Seattle are interested in the talented, 26-year-old receiver, and that he expects things to heat up once the April 15 deadline for signing an offer sheet for restricted free agents passes.

Krieger says the N.Y. Jets, Washington, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and Carolina also could have interest in Marshall.

According to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Jets QB Mark Sanchez called Marshall to wish him a happy birthday while Marshall was in Las Vegas celebrating with friends.

Krieger also questions if Seattle is a good fit for Marshall because both he and T.J. Houshmandzadeh are possession receivers.

One link I missed from this morning: Seahawks head coach is again quoted by a national writer, this time Sports Illustrated’s Peter King, on why Seattle went after Charlie Whitehurst.

Also, from all reports that I’ve read Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford was impressive during his pro day this morning. Chad Reuter of NFLDraftScout.com reports that both Seahawks general manager John Schneider and head coach Pete Carroll were in attendance today.

Carroll tweets that Bradford “lit it up.”

Former NFL scout Gil Brandt said it was the best pro day workout he’s seen by a quarterback since he watched Troy Aikman during a private workout while he was with Dallas.

NFL Draft

Marshall and Housh are both possession receivers? That’s why he wouldn’t be a good fit in Seattle? Either Krieger or myself has not idea what a possession receiver is because Marshall and Housh fill very different roles in a passing offense.

Eric, I’m confused by this – “And Seattle appears to still be in pursuit of a developmental quarterback to come in and compete with Mike Teel.” Still? Has this been something that Carroll or Schneider has implied? Could you please elaborate on why you think they are looking for someone to compete with Teel as a career backup, as they have given Whitehurst $8 mil to challenge Hass.

2. I’m really looking forward to how Whitehurst does. When is the next OTA?

Apparently, Rothlesbuger didn’t show up for Pitt’s OTA….probably because that trade to Seattle is in the works. lol

3. Hey Dukeshire: A couple things. In talking to folks from Denver there’s a feeling that Marshall doesn’t really have the top-end speed to stretch a defense and is more of a possession guy, although he certainly has more run-after-catch ability than Housh.

On the developmental QB deal, I view Hasselbeck’s role in Green Bay before he came to Seattle as a developmental QB. The way Seattle is paying Charlie Whitehurst, they view him as starter/possible franchise QB. So a developmental guy to me is a third-string QB who might have a shot to develop into a starter way down the road. Hence, Crompton or Tebow could be that guy, along with Teel.

I think the Seahawks’ brass could be a looking for a QB that better fits Jeremy Bates’ system as a developmental guy, and they didn’t draft Teel so they have no ties to him.

Eric – I understand what is meant by developmental QB. With due respect you basically reiterated what I had said. It’s that you included “still” that led me to believe this is something of a priority for them when nothing has been mentioned, that I have read. However, Tebow and now Crompton may perhaps be looked at that way. Thanks.

5. Duke, was there something out there that gave you the impression that Marshall wasn’t a posession WR? He has a career 12 yard per catch avearge.

Speaking of developmental QBs, just looking at Whitehurst’s preseason stats, seem to scream developmental QB. He certainly isn’t “Mr. August.”

pabuwal – Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson are at 13 per, only a yard more, and I do not consider them “possession” receivers. And then there are the 70+ yard TD catches. I’m not saying he’s DeSean Jackson but he’s not Wes Welker either, running underneath routs and 3 yard slants over the middle, from what I have seen.

7. ChrisHolmes says:

I have to agree with Duke. Brandon Marshall doesn’t strike me as a possession receiver. “Big Play” receiver seems more fitting. That doesn’t necessarily mean “Speedy Vertical Threat” either. Marshall just seems to make plays…

8. JohnJason says:

A lot of hate coming from the blog today. Why?

9. Draftscout has Crompton as the 7th best QB in the draft, picking him to go in the third or fourth round. They rank him ahead of Jevan Snead and Zac Robinson.

Seems like more than a developmental player.

10. crappyemailname says:

That’s weird. If he’s considered by some to be the 7th best QB in the draft, you’d figure that’s worth a combine invite.

11. Anyonebut Tebow!!

12. “Marshall was in Vegas celebrating with friends.” I would be too, if I were single, rich, and his age, but if he wants that contract he should try doing a better job of trying to fool people that he has, indeed, changed (or is in the process of changing). Sure, it could be innocent fun (probably not but I’m trying to give the benefit of the doubt) in Vegas, but the circumstances, considering his history, are suspicious. Hey, I’ll take his talent on our team, but the guy, based on history, is a moron.

This is the Brandon Marshall birthday party in Vegas.

He met his friends, none of which consumed more than two alcoholic drinks, for dinner and they all either went to a show or movie. The beverage of choice was ice water or Coke (not mixed with anything). They went for a walk up the strip to see the sites. They had ice cream cones along the way. Possibly stopped for a round of mini-golf somewhere. And by 10:30 they turned in for the evening so they could either get up early in the morning for a long run or to go to church (depending on the day of the week). Then they went home. LOL.

Or the ended up in some VIP lounge and screwed around, but were smart enough to not get caught doing anything that would be frowned upon by most of society (mainly prospective NFL franchises who may be willing to invest over $10 million per year for this walking time bomb). Worse case scenario, he probably didn’t do anything worse than Golden Boy Nate Burleson when he was getting a BJ on the Love Boat in Minnesota a few years back with the booze and ladies.

13. Tim Tebow is the next Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Bart Starr, Dan Marino, Steve Young, Brett Favre, and Rick Mirer…and if you don’t agree you haven’t had as much Tequila as I have tonight. The thing is…Charlie Whitehurst is going to make all of those guys look like Ryan Leif…yep, there you have it. And, you can take that to the bank.

14. BenderHawkFan says:

Lol, fabulous analysis Aud.–Really good stuff!

*Goes down to get a glass of whisky so I can see what Audible sees.*

15. After moving down in round one and trading for BM, here is the Hawks opening day starters:

QB Matt Hasselbeck

DE Lawrence Jackson, Chris Clemons

DT Brandon Mebane, Colin Cole

LB Aaron Curry, Lofa Tatupu, LeRoy Hill

S Jordan Babineaux

S Nate Allen, Morgan Burnett or Rashad Jones

CB Marcus Trufant, Josh Wilson

I’m not in Bender or Audible’s frame of mind right now, and without getting carried away with breaking anything down; seeing Matthews, Allen, Veldheer and Lauavo is pretty cool. Of course Clemmons is a downer but overall there would be some new, young talent there.

17. nighthawk2 says:

Looks like BobbyK’s dream scenario could actually work out.

18. Yeah, if Balt. values someone enough at #14 (or even #6) to trade up for them by swapping 1st rounders and giving us Gaither to make it happen, I’d love that. And he’s available. Then there’s no reason we can’t take the #25 pick and move down a few spots and receive whatever (even if it’s not fair “point value”) and trade the last 1st rounder for BM. I don’t know how anyone could be against even the #6 pick turning into a good, young LT, stud WR, AND an additional pick (probably a 5th rounder) or even two. As I’ve said before, Gaither is less than 2 years older than Okung so it’s not like we’re trading for old, veteran type of players who are approaching their late 20s or the dreaded 30s.

19. I like your ideas of trading down, Bobby. Nothing wrong with trying. Although regarding Gaither, I have a hard time believing Alex Gibbs would want a 6-9 OT when he tends to favor quicker more agile guys who who must cut block in his offense. Carroll sounds like he is totally committed to Gibbs’ running game philosophy, so that may influence a lot of personnel moves.

I also would hate to miss the chance to draft Trent Williams, but if it is a way to add Brandon Marshall, I think it could be worth it. All the character stuff aside, Marshall isn’t done terrorizing the NFL yet.

20. But Gibbs himself has said that it’s the guards and center who are the most important with respect to size/athleticism, whereas the tackles don’t have to be as stereotypical of profiling the ZBS (not that that makes Ray willis a fit at RT in a ZBS though, because it doesn’t… and even though Gaither is huge, he’s also athletic too… I think he’d work out fine at LT as long as we don’t expect any LT to be the reincarnation of a 25 year old Walter Jones).

21. nighthawk2 says:

Unfortunately I don’t think Marshall is done terrorizing girlfriends, family members and nightclubs either.

So if I understand the proposals here, we’d trade the 60th pick in the 2nd and swap positions with the Ravens in the 1st round, either the 6th or 14th, for Jared Gaither? That would work for me. As long as we get a LT one way or the other.

Still don’t want Marshall here, but unless Baltimore (at 6 in this scenario) or Denver at 10 took Dez Bryant, he could be there at 14. So could C.J. Spiller. Maybe Branch gets thrown into the deal and we swap the 14th for the 25th. We could take Bryant at 6 (or Eric Berry is taken at 5) and Ryan Matthews at 25th, have our left tackle and find a free safety like Major Wright in the 4th round if Berry is gone at 6. It would certainly open the door to a lot of possibilities.

22. nighthawk2 says:

Here’s a mock draft that has both Eric Berry and Gerald McCoy available at 6. Wouldn’t that be an interesting, and great, dilemma for the Seahawks to be in?

23. Dez Bryant? With all the top-tier talent available in this year’s draft, I would hope that Carroll and Schneider feel free to pass on Dez Bryant. The list of WR prospects drafted in round one that get overpaid and wash out is longer than the list of failures at any other position, and Bryant has documented problems of his own.

No comparison should be made to Brandon Marshall, who has completely proven himself a top-5 NFL WR. No one knows, but Marshall is likely done with his immature years and those are behind him; players do grow up in the NFL and hopefully Marshall has. He’s been quiet and minding his business for awhile now, and he’s 26 years old. There should be no doubt about his ability to dominate NFL games like few others can.

Dez Bryant’s mistakes and immaturity are still ahead of him, and he hasn’t proven anything yet. I wouldn’t waste a first rounder on him.

“Marshall is likely done with his immature years and those are behind him” – I would like to believe that is the case but I’m not sure how “likely” it is. Granted it has been a year since his last run in with authorities, which is promising. But only a couple months from landing a team suspension for the final game of the season. I’m a skeptic when it comes to these things, so I’m not convinced he’s matured much at all, at this point. But of course, time will tell.

nighthawk2 – That would be a fun dilemma. I can see value with either pick, but my first instinct is McCoy.

26. Crompton is terrible. Even Tennessee fans make fun of him.

27. nighthawk2 says:

“but Marshall is likely done with his immature years and those are behind him; players do grow up in the NFL and hopefully Marshall has”

On what do you base this? His antics in the Broncos camp, his being suspended for a crucial game vs. KC they needed for the playoffs, the obvious desire of the Broncos to get rid of this guy all should make the other 31 teams in the league realize that this guy is poison. People like Brandon Marshall never learn, and never grow up. PacMan Jones is a perfect example. And yet some teams are still talking to him. I just don’t understand the man-crush on Marshall. Don’t what “character issues” Bryant has but someone who’s trying to say Marshall is a saint shouldnt’ be talking about someone else’s character. I don’t think Bryant is the best receiver in the draft, I think Damian Williams is, but if he’s still rated as a value around 14 if not 6 I think he has to be considered.

28. nighthawk2 says:

I can’t argue that point. I suppose Cole and Bryant are, at the least, warm bodies at NT and I’m not sure yet that Jamar Adams has a pulse, to take Grant’s spot.

30. The12thMan says:

“People like Brandon Marshall never learn, and never grow up.”

Randy Moss grew up and he has obviously been a huge contribution to the Patsies. Before they picked him up everyone put Moss in pretty much the same boat that they put Marshall in now. Too many mistakes, too much ego, too much baggage, etc. No one can say for sure if Brandon’s troubles are all behind him but your statement above is false. Sometimes players ‘like Marshall’ get into a good situation and finally see the light and do grow up. Taking him would be a gamble for sure but with a huge upside. Personally I wouldn’t give any 1st round pick for him, even a low one. I would, however, give our 2nd round pick for him in a heartbeat, but it might take a little more than that. I think our 2nd rounder plus a conditional 4th rounder next year is a very fair deal for both sides (I think Eric suggested this). The very most I would be willing to give up for him myself would be our 2nd rounder and one of our 4th rounders this year.

31. The12thMan says:

“Duke, Berry would have to be the pick at 6 in that scenario. We have Mebane and Cole already. We don’t have jack diddlysquate at safety.”

I agree 100%. I want Berry something awful and have desperately wanted a dominant FS since before we passed on Ed Reed to draft Koren Robinson. In addition to the reasons given by Nighthawk above, I am convinced that a dominant FS makes a bigger overall positive impact on a Defense than a dominant DT. I’ll be happy to give my reasons for feeling that way if anyone is in the mood for a fun, friendly debate on the subject.

32. The12thMan says:

Just to clarify my last statement: A dominant Safety to me is one that is dominant in both pass coverage AND run support AND can blitz effectively, like a Polamalu for instance.

33. seahawklovertoo says:

The12thMan, Barry is nowhere near as good as Polamalu. If one watches him on film, he does “intercept” tipped balls that happened to come his way( the only legit interseption that he had against a quality team was when he intercepted Tebow) ; I can rush over him and knock him on his kisster…( I am kind of bigger than average RB though ) ; he may turn into a blitzer one day. I wouldn’t trade Troy for three players like Berry. I would never take Berry or, Clausen in the first or second round (if ever).
    Sorry for not sharing y’alls love for him.

34. seahawklovertoo says:

” I would never take Berry or Clausen in 1st or 2nd round ” in this years draft.

35. Looks like Detroit is interested in Rob Sims…Their 4th rounder is at the top of the round so this is the best case scenario for us: