Morning links: Whitehurst reaction

Post by Eric Williams on March 19, 2010 at 10:32 am with 12 Comments »
March 19, 2010 11:13 am

Some links to start off your morning.

Here’s my story from Thursday’s Charlie Whitehurst introduction to the local media.

Matt Bowen of the National Football Post believes Matt Hasselbeck’s job is in jeopardy.

Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times says the Whitehurst trade shows Pete Carroll isn’t afraid to make waves.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers have bolstered their draft position with the Whitehurst trade.

Clark Judge of CBS Sports questions the Seahawks moves in free agency in trading away defensive end Darryl Tapp and securing Whitehurst.

Kevin Calabro of ESPN 710 interviews Whitehurst here.

More Calabro: He talks to John Clayton and Whitehurst’s former coach at Clemson, Tommy Bowden in this audio link.

KJR’s Steve Sandmeyer and Dick Fain interviewed Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll this morning in this audio link.

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated has some pretty good insight from Chargers GM A.J. Smith.

Morning links
  1. The Jets signed Laury.

2. nidhighe says:

I think it might be good for Hass to have to look over his shoulder a little bit.

–Danielle

3. mkelly534 says:

It may be a new trend in the NFL to get mid-round guys with several years experience instead of trying to swing at second tier draft picks. I think that Whitehurst presents a better risk than anybody in this draft aside from Bradford. He has survived for 4 years as a back up on a Superbowl quality team, He has height and size advantages over much of the QBs in the draft and I believe both Clausen and Tebow will be gone by our pick anyway. Compare trading for Whitehurst to drafting Pike or Snead in the second round. We have a better chance at success with a smaller learning curve. Who knows, maybe in two years other teams will be trying to pry our 3rd string QB from us for a good draft pick.

I’ve read similar comments as that several times here, the last day or so. If I may, can we please hold off on insinuating Hasselbeck is “comfortable” or he somehow doesn’t prepare or play with the competitiveness or passion he once did, until he’s able to not get crushed on a weekly basis. I have never seen him play with less that a full effort, he plays injured, sacrifices his body, always fighting regardless how he or the team are playing. Of course competition is a great thing and if he looses out to Whitehurst, so be it. But I don’t buy for one second that he needs his position threatened in order for him to begin playing better. There are a very small number of players on this team whose effort, are to me, beyond reproach; he, Forsett and Wilson come to mind. And of that group only Matt is an unquestioned starter. Of course we don’t know how players prepare during the week. But the fact he fights through injury after injury to take the field leads me to believe he doesn’t cut corners in the film room either. He’s a pros pro and I reject these backhanded innuendos to the contrary.

5. Southendzone says:

Ouch, I long for the day when I read NFL columnist analysis of a Seahawk trade and the words “Overpayed” is not used to describe the Hawk’s side of the deal.

Whether it’s player contracts (See Grant Wistrom, etc), or trade value (See Deion Branch), we are constantly coming up on the short end of the stick.

I’m not saying this trade is going to break us even if Whitehurst destroys his knee tomorrow and never plays a down for us. I just want the Hawks to sharpen up their trading acumen and outsmart another team’s GM for ONE TIME.. PLEASE!

6. edstang45 says:

Nice audio links Eric I really enjoy those.
    Also everytime I hear PC talk I like him more and more. He’s an Intellegent guy, like his motor, and I think he is very football savvy.

I’m on his bandwagon…..hope I don’t fall

7. The trade of Denver’s #1 for Seattle’s 2nd last year was considered a good deal on the Seahawks behalf.

But yeah, it is a rare day when the Seahawks FO is hailed as a model of how to do negotiations.

8. The game that I went to last year, the ‘Hawks got crushed. Sitting right behind the Seahawk bench, I only saw 3 people who seemed to care. Matt, Herring, and Willis. Everyone else went through the motions. I know people express emotion differently and we don’t want idiot hotheads, but it was nice to at least see those 3 players seem to care. We need more of those.

9. vichawkfan says:

CAT STEVENS.

I was trying to place him. In any event…I say it again, GREAT move.

10. dukeshire –
    Just wanted to say that I really appreciated what you wrote on Matt’s behalf – it needed to be said.

11. ElPerroGrandeIII says:

Hass sucks and should be cut later today. Let’s burn the dead-wood, and he’s been deader than dead wood for the past several years.

12. Sandi appears to be carefully weighing in on the side of Carroll is an idiot: