Morning links: Browns outbid Hawks for TE Watson

Post by Eric Williams on March 12, 2010 at 9:29 am with 19 Comments »
March 12, 2010 9:29 am

A few links to start your morning.

The Cleveland Browns signed unrestricted free agent tight end Ben Watson to a three-year, $12 million deal, including $6.35 million guaranteed, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Watson, who played his first six seasons in the league in New England, had visited with the Seahawks this week. That’s probably too much for Seattle to spend for a back-up tight end, unless they saw Watson getting starter reps as a receiving tight end.

Adam Caplan of Scout.com reports that the Seahawks picked up Matt Hasselbeck’s $1 million roster bonus due on Thursday.

Sam Bradford scored 36 on the Wonderlic test and Tim Tebow scored a 22.

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated has Seattle selecting OT Bryan Bulaga with the team’s No. 6 overall pick and QB Jimmy Clausen at No. 14 overall.

Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com now has Seattle taking Clausen at No. 6, and Georgia Tech DE Derrick Morgan at No. 14 overall, while Chad Reuter has Seattle selecting Morgan at No. 6 and C.J. Spiller at No. 14.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper has Seattle selecting OSU offensive tackle Russell Okung at No. 6 and USC DE Everson Griffen at No. 14, while Todd McShay has Seattle selecting Bryan Bulaga at No. 6 and Spiller at No. 14.

Morning links

Watson overtaking Carlson as the starter in any capacity? That’s a good one. In any case, I’m curious about something; how does Rang for example, decide that today Morgan is a better pick at 14 than Pierre-Paul was 3 days ago? Good grief.

2. I have a sad sick feeling that Seattle won’t use any or their first three picks for an O lineman. I think they will try to repair the line with past their prime free agents and late round picks.

3. “There are a number of sample Wonderlic tests out thee, I encourage people to take one for S & Gs. It’s incredibly hard to believe, after taking one, that some of the scores are as low as they are. Vince Young’s purported 6? Unreal.”

Holy cr-ap Duke are you ever right – they are basically 8th grade or so math/logic tests – for some reason I’d thought they were much more subtle and/or complex . . . .

here’s one: http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

4. SnakeDoctor says:

I am so glad to see the Seahawks got out bid. That means someone (walrus) probably OVERPAID and it was not us this time.

5. edstang45 says:

I still want Okung/Bulaga at #6, Lupati #14,and Dwyer or DL at #40,
    This would start an anchor on the OL maybe being one of the best for 10-13yrs Would improve Matt and Run Game. Next year with a top OL we could then start building with Game breakers on Offense and find Our sack attack and secondary

6. edstang45 says:

Also having a stout OL it would make things lot easier bringing up Matts replacement

7. edstang45:

With that O-line Mike Teel could become a superstar.

8. That test can’t be real, the only one I had to think about for sec was the typerwriter one. No way is the test that ridiculous.

Here’s another one. But if you’re really interested, you can go to the Wonderlic web site and sign up.

10. edstang45 says:

wow that is unreal, to bad my wonderlic score wont put me in the NFL

11. chuck_easton says:

Estang,

It’s Iupati not Lupati (name starts with an i and not an L). Poor guy is going to go through his whole career with people thinking they have spelled his name wrong on the back of his Jersey.

It’s not just you. Everybody gets it wrong so I went and looked it up because I was confused as to why I keep seeing it spelled both ways.

That being said Iupati is a guard. He’s the best guard in the draft but he’s projected no higher than 18-20 range. Taking him at 14 might be a reach.

12. What is with all the talk about a Wonderlic test?? How does this give any indication of how a player will perform in the NFL? No matter what Bradford scores on any tests, one of the biggest tests in the NFL is toughness and duribility and he failed both in college. Someone will use (insert “waste”) a high pick for both Bradford and Clausen. I can only hope that it will not be the Hawks. Far too many other priority needs for the Hawks now and players to fill those needs in this draft.

The changes that keep coming up from all the “draft experts” and their projections are due to them adjusting their best guesses to hopefuly hit on a few to keep their “expert” status. It would be interesting to have a half dozen dedicated, “average Joe,” fans make their pick predictions for their team in their city and compare their accuracy to the accuracy of the “experts.” I think it would be an eye opener as well as likely embarrasing to the “experts.”

Likely many posting here could be more accurate on average and perhaps already have been.

13. edstang45 says:

Thanks chuck i instead of L, don’t want that beast pissed at me!!

14. edstang45 says:

Yes chuck_easton he is a gaurd, and I think with Okung/Bulaga to his left and Unger to his right, that could be a left side hopefully equal to Walter,Hutch, tobeck(spellin)
    just my opinion as I want to see the day that we dominate the Line on offense again

15. hambone08 says:

Took this one for S&G’s:

I didn’t finish in 5 min but of the 15 I answered I got 14 right (about a 31).

If VY scored a 6 on his Wonderlic, I hope he pays someone to tie his shoes and open jars for him.

16. chuck_easton says:

I finished in 3 minutes scored 16 ouf of 20 for a score of

But not a fair test for me. I have a degree in Computer Science as well as a law degree both of which use a similar test to get into the program.

17. MattandCindy says:

I got a 35 on the Wonderlic at Walter’s. 37.5 if you take into account the small type, large type question….AND THAT MADE ME WONDER!!!

If you multiply every correct answer by 2.5, then HOW THE HELL did Michael Vick get a 6?!? What am I missing??? Are the rules and scoring different in the REAL test? Is Michael Vick so mind-bogglingly retarded that he can get numerically impossible scores? The latter seems a much more viable option…and my wife makes us have CATS.

The test that is administered to the NFL players is a 50 question 12 minute exam. There is no multiplying the number of correct answers by 2.5, it’s just whatever you get.

And Chuck is right, I took a very similar test getting into law school. Sadly, I got a 32.5 on this one. Lol.