Morning links: A different side of Pete Carroll

Post by Eric Williams on March 7, 2010 at 8:27 am with 52 Comments »
March 7, 2010 9:19 am

Hawks head coach Pete Carroll (Damian Dovarganes/AP)

If you’re looking for reasons why the Seattle Seahawks might consider welcoming a troubled soul like Denver Broncos restricted free agent Brandon Marshall into their world, this excellent profile on Hawks head coach Pete Carroll by our own Dave Boling provides some perspective on the issue.

Carroll appears to be a guy willing to give people second chances. Boling chronicles Carroll’s work with nonprofit A Better L.A. to try to help curb gang violence in inner-city Los Angeles.

Boling:

As it turned out, Carroll – who would later become the coach of the Seattle Seahawks – didn’t just pop in to spread sunshine and rainbows, or imply some ludicrous connection between coaching football and the ability to quash the epidemic of violence that was eroding Los Angeles from within.

Carroll asked more questions than he offered answers. He said he had no idea how he could help, but he was willing to do whatever he could: Raise money, elevate awareness, go into the neighborhoods and talk to the offenders and victims … whatever it took.

Bercini and Woodle had seen too much blood to believe it was possible. Carroll changed that.

“Let me put it to you this way, when you’re immersed in dealing with death and violence for long periods of time, you sometimes come to believe there isn’t any hope,” Bercini said. “And then maybe somebody makes you think we do have something. With (Carroll), I think it was his being able to connect with people from the top levels and also with those on the streets. So, if you’re asking me, ‘Can one guy come in and stir people up and get them motivated?’ I have to say, yes, he really did.”

How? By offering more than rhetoric. Carroll used his position and visibility to create a nonprofit organization, A Better L.A., that helped involve corporate and monied entities. It brought together government and law-enforcement agencies, and helped support and fund the critical liaisons with the community.

He began showing up in the neighborhoods in the middle of the night for face-to-face talks with gang members. And the most important thing … he didn’t make a splash and run. He committed.

Can Carroll really be making a significant difference in the quality of people’s lives? Maybe even saving lives? Seriously, saving lives?

“Oh, please … yes … absolutely … absolutely,” Woodle said emphatically. “That man is my hero … and trust me, I don’t have that many.”

My story today gives you the latest on what’s happening with Marshall’s visit in Seattle.

ESPN’s John Clayton and Mike Sando talk about the possibility of Marshall coming to Seattle in this audio link.

Denver Post columnist Woody Paige says “The beast” Brandon Marshall was too much of a burden in Denver.

The Seahawks search for an edge rusher continues, as Michael C. Wright of the Florida Times-Union reports that Green Bay free agent Aaron Kampman signed a deal to play for Jacksonville. Kampman is coming off season-ending ACL knee surgery. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

The Cardinals addressed their vacancy at safety by trading for Jets safety Kerry Rhodes, reports Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic.

Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat reports that N.Y. Giants free agent quarterback David Carr has other options besides San Francisco. They include Cleveland and Arizona.

Morning links
  1. vichawkfan says:

nice article Boling. I saw PC give Marshall a hug off the plane. Struck me odd in that I couldn’t see someone like Holmgren doing the same thing. Anyways, good on him.

Maybe Seneca for Rodgers? Could use the girth in the line.

Report: Browns could trade Shaun Rogers
    Posted by Michael David Smith on March 7, 2010 8:47 AM ET
    The Cleveland Browns have already traded one defensive lineman this off-season, shipping Corey Williams to the Detroit Lions. Could they trade another?

Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer writes that they could and Shaun Rogers could be gone.

Pluto doesn’t name a source for the report, but writes that the Browns’ coaching staff dislikes Rogers’ tendency to freelance, rather than cover the area he is assigned.

And the report says the Browns think they’d be fine with the defensive linemen remaining on the roster, including Ahtyba Rubin, Robaire Smith, Kenyon Coleman, C.J. Mosley and Brian Schaefering.

That doesn’t mean Rogers is definitely on the move. But if the report is to be believed, the Browns are open to it.

2. cititravis says:

If you want more about PC on this topic check out this link from 60 minutes as they go riding along with him in the middle of the night into some of the worst neighborhoods in LA. Great piece thank Boling.

3. On one hand, the second chance thing is great. We’ve all needed second chances at various things in our lives. However, I hope we don’t get too crazy with an entire roster of second chancers. I don’t want to be the Cincinnati Bengals West. And with the various problems Mr. Happy has had at USC, I am a bit skeptical. I think these next few years will be great to bring in some second chance talent, because of the good guy roster Ruskell put together (too bad they weren’t more talented). If you’re a clown, but surrounded by good guys, there’s less of a chance to be a full fledged clown, if you know what I mean.

I think by us not going after Kampman or Peppers that Mr. Happy is excited about Curry (elephant), Tapp, and Jackson (strong side stuffer) at DE this upcoming season. And you know what? I think that’s a strong trio too, if they are going to be in the roles that I think they are going to be in.

Make me happy, Mr. Happy!!!

4. vichawkfan says:

Good article by Mr.Boling. PC seems to have a little Vermiel in him. Might give the so called bad apples hesitation in letting him down. I like that approach, these are grown men in the NFL.
    Read Shaun Rodgers could be on the block in Cleveland. Nice to have a large mass run stuffer built like our old Sam Adams.

5. cititravis – thanks for the link. If anyone has a spare 12-13 minutes, it’s well worth it.

6. Anyone have an updated list of the FA’s we’re looking at/invited ????

8. Anyone have an updated list of the FA’s we have interest in/invited?

Atta boy Bobby, drink that Tapp kool-aid, I’ve got plenty if you start to run low. Lol. I hadn’t considered Carroll’s involvement with A Better LA when thinking about Marshall coming to Seattle. With Bates vouching for him (presumably) and Carroll’s desire to reach out to people, it does give me an added perspective. I was prepared to accept Marshall, baggage and all, if the price was right, and this give me something else to feel better about. I’m not naive, I understand the associated risk of bringing him in, but this doesn’t feel like a Bengal situation. Feels like a fresh start, potentially.

Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2010/03/07/morning-links-a-different-side-of-pete-carroll/#comments#ixzz0hW53DWad

14. Anyone have an updated list of FA’s we are looking at/inviting ????

15. seahawklovertoo says:

I don’t like many people; ( I intensely dislike NE and the Jets, though not as much as Dallas ,the raiders and the donkies, and USC ,along with ND and U of TX are top 3 on my college “poop list)…. I saw the original “60 minutes” and I thought he was phony about that project , more like a PR stunt. When he got THE JOB , I almost had a cow. I hate changing my stands on anything… yet, I know I have been wrong in the past and have been man enough to reverse my-self.
    I am starting to like PC and I wish him the highest possible long-term success with our Seahawks. Seems like he is genuinely good guy . (We know he is a winner as well.)

16. Bobby, as for ‘second chances’, I really think that the opportunity to sign Brandon Marshall is a unique opportunity. Sure there is risk, but the guy is a phenomenal impact player, not just another troubled kid. Its really hard for my to imagine “Mr Happy” inviting a head case into his locker room unless he is convinced the kid is already overcoming his ugly younger days.

As for Kampman, I think we still need another pass rusher but I don’t think PC and JS want to spend in FA. If we can keep both our first round picks, and get an OT at #6, then Jason Pierre-Paul wouldn’t be a bad pick at #14 to replace Kerney.

17. Yes. The talent Marshall has is unique.

Marshall won’t find a better place for a fresh start than Seattle. I hadn’t considered Carroll’s involvement with A Better LA when thinking about Marshall coming to Seattle. With Bates vouching for him (presumably) and Carroll’s desire to reach out to people, it does give me an added perspective. I was prepared to accept Marshall, baggage and all, if the price was right, and this give me something else to feel better about. I’m not naive, I understand the associated risk of bringing him in, but this doesn’t feel like a Bengal situation. Feels like a fresh start, potentially.

19. Maybe Nick Reed/Ricky Foley too?

20. Betcha it’d be interesting listening in on CHI’s ‘War Room’, with Lovie (dealing with Cutler’s pleadings) asking “Why not go after Marshall?” and TR telling him that his character quotient didn’t meet minimum standards.

cititravis – Thank you very much for posting that 60 minutes link.

cititravis – Thanks for posting that 60 minutes link.

cititravis – Great link. Thanks for posting it.

24. fully expect another team to jump into the Brandon Marshall sweepstakes at some point this week. Not certain which team, but it appears Marshall has more than one team interested in his services. I do know this: The Denver Broncos won’t negotiate a trade for Marshall. Either a team is prepared to pay a first-rounder or move along. Denver will not take calls on Marshall; it’s either an offer sheet or he plays in Denver next season. If Seattle really wants Marshall, it will take the sixth pick in the draft…

this is from Michael Lombardi

25. from Michael Lombardi.

I fully expect another team to jump into the Brandon Marshall sweepstakes at some point this week. Not certain which team, but it appears Marshall has more than one team interested in his services. I do know this: The Denver Broncos won’t negotiate a trade for Marshall. Either a team is prepared to pay a first-rounder or move along. Denver will not take calls on Marshall; it’s either an offer sheet or he plays in Denver next season. If Seattle really wants Marshall, it will take the sixth pick in the draft….

26.  from Michael Lombardi.

cititravis – Thanks for posting that 60 minutes link.

R

cititravis – Thank you for posting that 60 minutes link.

29. Anyone have an updated list of the FA’s we are interested in/inviting ???

30. klm…. good link… thx

31. cititravis says:

Dukeshire- No problem, But Seahawksaddicts.com should get the credit I just remembered it from a link they had like 2 months ago. That is a great site.

32. klm… good link…

33. piperfeltcher says:

I really do not see how Denver can not trade Marshall if no one signs him to a offer sheet now. He was not happy with his contract last year and was a distraction so imagine he goes around the league and gets told how great he is and how much money they will pay him if Denver will trade. If Denver tries to keep him now they will have a major headache on there hands.

34. Is PC dumb enough to trade the sixth pick in the draft for a head case like Marshall?

35. nighthawk2 says:

I’m all for second chances, need a few or even a third in my own life, so no problemo. My problem with Marshall is that he looks like a guy who never learns from his mistakes or learns the proper lesson from them. He acts severely immature, appears to be a selfish “me first” type of player and not a team guy. Was he not surrounded by good people in Denver? I don’t think the Broncos were bad teammates, I think he was. If a player has a problem with the coach, go talk to him privately about it, don’t do childish stuff in public and at team practices. What will an immature prima donna do when he gets all that (more) money? I’m sick of guys like T.O. and Moss (although Moss has toned it down a great deal since being in New England). There are and have been guys who think that because they’re very talented and everyone knows, someone, like the Bengals for example, will subsidize their atrocious behavior with big money contracts. And unfortunately they’re right, and it’s not just in the NFL. If Pete Carroll and his crew just have to have this guy and want to play reformer instead of football coach and team VP, then send a 2nd round pick and Deion Branch to Denver for Marshall, but stay away from the 1st round picks. Moss only went for a 4th round pick, and Boldin was sent with a 5th round for a 3rd and 4th. We don’t need to break the bank and waste 1st round picks on this clown. Marshall has all the appearances of a guy who isn’t going to suddenly become a good person and a good citizen because we make him richer and say warm fuzzies about him.

36. I think we knew this was coming. The Broncos do have leverage. He can either play for them or they can get a #1 pick. They could still franchise Marshall next year and prevent him from going anywhere. And if Marshall acts like a turd again, that will prevent teams from wanting him, too. In a way, Marshall is almost in a no-win situation. At the same time, if you’re the Broncos, why would you potentially want a malcontent player who doesn’t want to be there and can destroy your team chemistry if things go South?

On another topic, of equal importance (or more so considering it’s the OL), this seems a bit interesting.
    It would take care of our need for a franchise LT. My only worry is a few injury problems last year. But he did play in all 16 games at LT the year before (started 15 of them).

From the sounds of it, we could add Gaither for our 2nd round pick, which I would do in a heartbeat. If you get a chance to trade a 2nd round pick for a 24 year old LT… you do it (unless there’s serious injury risk with any of his last season). I don’t like the idea of trading draft picks for players at this stage of the game, but there’s always exceptions to the rule.

The Ravens just traded a 3 and 4 in the Boldin trade (but got a 5th pick back) so they may be looking to recoup a pick in the draft.

How many people would like to have the #14 pick in the draft, Marshall, and Gaither? (and I’m with most of you, I don’t want to trade the #6 for Marshall, this is purely hypothetical)

Or would you rather have two 1st rounders (#6 and 14) and our 2nd rounder?

37. nighthawk2 says:

I’m all for second chances but Brandon Marshall is guy who has every indication that he never learns from his mistakes, or learns the wrong thing. He thinks that because is “supremely talented” that some team is going to be stupid enough to subsidize his immaturity and lawlessness with millions of dollars, and Seattle is supporting that conclusion. Pete Carroll needs to be a football coach, team VP and representative of this organization and not a goody two-shoes social reformer. I’m not a Woody Paige fan but he hit the nail on the head here:

“His transgressions in society since he was in college have been well-documented — and Marshall’s obtuse actions again were focused on last week when he testified in the Darrent Williams murder trial.

After being arrested in another domestic dispute a year ago this month, Marshall was in danger of a second commissioner-ordered suspension. But he was given, as always before, a break.

What did he do? Marshall refused to report for a mandatory minicamp, then acted like a clown in training camp and rejected a serious long- term contract proposal, trying his hardest to be traded or cut. At the end of an exceptional season, when the Broncos needed him most, he was nowhere to be found. Josh McDaniels deactivated him for the last humiliating loss that eliminated the Broncos from making the playoffs.

This is the guy you want to cheer, your kids to love, to represent your community?

Marshall is only a bad day on the field or a bad night on the town away from causing more disruption or disorder. Based on the risk-reward, why should the Broncos guarantee him a fortune?

In Marshall’s four seasons, the Broncos have a 32-32 record and NO PLAYOFFS. Guess what: They can do that without him. There is at least one other player on the roster — Eddie Royal — who can catch 100 balls for 1,000 yards, and he’s a great athlete and a wonderful guy. And there are free agents and college players who can replace Marshall — cheaper, possibly as effectively and with less of a mess.

And the Broncos may get the No. 6 pick in the draft.”

Boy, just the kind of guy this organization needs. If they just have to have this creep, then send a 2nd round and Deion Branch to Denver.

I agree. If they can add Gaither for a second, pull the trigger. One would presume that they are prepared to select a lineman with the top 3 anyway.

39. I wonder if this will happen?

Our #6, Branch, and 2nd rounder for Marshall and #11 pick.

Our #11 pick to Ravens for Gaither (as the one article above speculated the 49ers have offered their #17, but they do have the #13 too… but the Ravens would want the #11 we’d have over either of those and we’d prevent SF from getting a franchise type of Left Tackle).

We’d still have the #14 pick in the draft.

Actually, I could see this scenario playing out. And I don’t think I’d be opposed to it (assuming Gaither is healthy).

40. Denver used a first round pick to get Zimmerman when Gibbs was there. Houston used a first round pick to get OT Duane Brown when Gibbs was there. Why shouldn’t Seattle use a first round pick on a LT?

I would rather Seattle pass on restricted free agents (especially Brandon Marshall) and keep their draft picks.

Saba Douglas-Hamilton recognizes leopards by their spots because leopards don’t change their spots. Neither will Marshall.

The UFA Seattle really needs to pursue is the Rams safety.

41. Gary Zimmerman was a Pro Bowler for the Vikings before he joined Gibbs and the Broncos.

I’d like to add Atwoge from the Rams too. He’d be a significant upgrade at FS.

42. nighthawk2 says:

You’re presuming he’d last long enough not to get suspended by the 49ers or the league.

Kampman signing with Jacksonville sucks, I think he’d have been a good fit here. Wonder how hard they pursued him?

Jason Pierre-Paul has a huge “Buyer Beware” sign. I say that because he’s had one year at Division 1A, two years of Junior College, and one year of high school football. That’s a total of 4 years of football. He may be an athletic “Freak II”, but what we need is a guy who can contribute immediately, and that seems to fit Derrick Morgan a lot more than JP-P. Plus the guy reportedly has a low Wonderlick score. I don’t buy the hype about the Rams taking Bradford 1st overall, this guy is extremely overrated with just 2 years of Division 1A football and an injury history. It would be the worst selection since Jamarcus Russell was taken 1st overall , or since Alex Smith was taken 1st overall, or even since Tim Couch was taken 1st overall. My guess at this point is it shakes out as 1-Suh, 2-Okung, 3-McCoy, 4-Clausen/Bradford, 5-Berry. So we may well have a choice between Morgan and C.J. Spiller, and can get a tackle (Bulaga, Davis) at 14. Don’t blow it Carroll, we could improve the pass rush and the pass blocking with two picks.

Adam Schefter is reporting on ESPN right now that the Bengals are prepared to offer the first for Marshall.

44. So, basically, we’d have to offer the #14 for him instead to beat that offer.

The Bengals pick at 21.

45. Seahawks will meet with UFA CB William James (Lions)
    UFA QB David Carr (Giants) left his meeting with the San Francisco 49ers without a contract.
    Seahawks, Browns and Eagles are showing interest in RFA RB Mike Bell (Saints).
    Seahawks are scheduled to meet with UFA DE Tyler Brayton (Panthers).
    FA OG Ben Hamilton (Broncos) will visit the Seahawks.
    Seahawks scheduled to meet with RFA SS Dawan Landry (Ravens)
    Washington Redskins and Seattle Seahawks are showing interest in free-agent OT Barry Sims (49ers), according to a league source. The San Francisco 49ers are also talking to Sims about potentially returning to the team.
    free-agent WR Arnaz Battle’s (49ers) trip to visit the Seahawks is on hold
    Seahawks are scheduled to meet with unrestricted free-agent TE Benjamin Watson (Patriots) Monday, March 8.
    Seahawks will meet with unrestricted free-agent DL Dwan Edwards (Ravens),

46. IBGoofy –
    Seahawks will meet with UFA CB William James (Lions)
    Seahawks, Browns and Eagles are showing interest in RFA RB Mike Bell (Saints).
    Seahawks are scheduled to meet with UFA DE Tyler Brayton (Panthers).
    FA OG Ben Hamilton (Broncos) will visit the Seahawks.
    Seahawks scheduled to meet with RFA SS Dawan Landry (Ravens)
    free-agent WR Arnaz Battle’s (49ers) trip to visit the Seahawks is on hold
    Seahawks will meet with unrestricted free-agent DL Dwan Edwards (Ravens),

47. seahawklovertoo says:

I would like to have Marshall but, if we can trade our #6 for three players ( draft picks) I’ll take THREE any time. Good like to Marshall in Cincy ( Ochocinco??)