Morning links: The case for Reese as GM

Post by Eric Williams on Jan. 14, 2010 at 10:38 am with 20 Comments »
January 14, 2010 10:39 am

Our own Dave Boling builds a case for the Seahawks hiring Floyd Reese as the team’s new general manager, citing his expertise and experience as a guiding light for Pete Carroll’s return to the NFL.

When the Titans went 13-3 in 2008, 16 of 22 starters were Reese’s acquisitions, including six Pro Bowl selections that season alone. We might point out that Ruskell had three acquisitions make the Pro Bowl in his five seasons (Julian Peterson, Lofa Tatupu and Patrick Kerney … and Kerney and Peterson had been Pro Bowl players before getting here).

So, where are the Seahawks going to find somebody with Reese’s track record, with that instant credibility, who also wouldn’t be another big front-office ego that could create friction?

Hire the man, and get started healing this fractured franchise today. is reporting that Pat Kirwan, a good friend of Carroll, will interview for the vacant GM spot.

My story today focuses on Carroll’s coaching staff beginning to take shape.

Ryan Divish and I bring the Seahawks Insider chats to life on the radio with the help of KJR’s Ian Furness in this audio link.

Nate Burleson talks to KJR’s Dave “Softy” Mahler about the arrival of Carroll in this audio link.

Photos from Carroll’s introductory press conference.

Jim Trotter of Sports Illustrated wonders if the Rooney Rule is still relevant.

Morning links
  1. All the attention is on Pete Carroll and the new GM, but how come nobody is questioning Leiweke and whether he should stay? It seems widely acknowledged that the front office is dysfunctional, that it is fractured into Holmgen/Ruskell camps, that Mike and TR did not get along, and that hiring Mora as the coach-in-waiting was a bad idea. All of that chaos lies at the feet of Leiweke. Is he creating another chaotic situation by leaving the boundary between GM, President, and HC vague? I seriously question his ability to build and run a competent NFL management team.

2. ChrisHolmes says:

I think a lot of people ARE questioning whether Leiweke should stay; but they’re not employees of the Seahawks.

Something tells me that if the PC & GM don’t work this time, TL will be on his way out. He’s got this chance to reassemble the Seahawks and make it happen.

3. I do not think there is any question that Leiweke has been a big part of the problem for the Hawks. That said, I agree that his future is now based on the performance of his new coach and soon to be GM hires. I admire loyalty and Paul Allen has shown it in his time of ownership….often to a fault. Also to his credit, he has shown the willingness to pay great money for both the exit and entrance of replacements…management, coaches and players. I hope his generosity is rewarded with success. I am not in favor of Leiweke or his coach hire, but I would rather be wrong than to see all that Paul Allen has done continue to fail. I think maybe only Jerry Jones has thrown as much money and top-flight facilities at his NFL franchise. And…..I thank God that we have Paul Allen instead.

Pat Kirwan’s background, in the front office, is as a salary negotiator and cap manager and the Seahawks already have that position filled by John Idzik, Vice President / Football Administration. He may be good radio but pass on GM plaese.

5. maddog12 says:

He looks like more of a scouting type guy. Not a GM. If Carroll wants him let him work in that area.

Reese seems to have the pedigree and a case could be made that he has had proven success. However, it is not recent success it is almost like the mirror of PC. Older success vs. recent success.

6. maddog12 says:

I was earlier speaking on Kirwan in my fist sentence.

7. nighthawk2 says:

I’m all in favor of ousting Tod Leiweke, been calling for his head too for a long time. I agree, he should be held responsible for the mess the team is in. Fire him and get rid of the “CEO” position and let him go be the business manager for Allen’s other things like Vulcan and let him go meddle in soccer. But keep him out of the Seahawks.

8. You know what….everyone on a football team has to perform.

Holmgren was in place long before Lieweke took over, and by all of the accounts, Holmgren can be a pain in the ass to work with and for, and especially after he was stripped of his GM title.

So, Lieweke inherited a lot of personnel problems when he took on the Seahawks with Whitsitt and Holmgren. He then fired Whitsitt and brought in a guy who had some early success and signed players that got us to the superbowl.

Unfortunately, Ruskell was not the long-term solution at GM, so Lieweke fired him too. He didn’t want Holmgren back because Holmgren wants to call all the shots and doesn’t work well with others.

Then he goes out and hires Carroll who is going to come in here and make him look brilliant. Carroll has already started assembling a terrific staff and now the Seahawks and us fans are again starting to be hopeful about next year.

In the end, it’s all guesswork…nothing he does is going to guarantee a supwerbowl….All Lieweke can do is make the best decision possible based on what he has to work with…and he seems to be doing a terrific job.

And, Paul Allen is not a guy who is going to stay loyal to someone who is underperforming. Just ask Dennis Erickson, Whitsitt, Ruskell, and Mora.

If this turn of events doesn’t improve the situation, Lieweke’s head will be on the chopping block as well.

9. Hmmmmm…. Floyd Reese eh? I wonder who that is. Better do some surfing to find out.

Ahhhhhhhhh… here we go. Patriots,… that’s good. Let me see, he didn’t play much. Only a little bit in the CFL. He’s done some coaching and then was elevated to assistant GM and…….

WHAT???? Wait a minute!!!! He went to UCLA?????

Enos, get the tar and feathers….. We got a bum we gotta run out of town.

10. ChrisHolmes:I think a lot of people ARE questioning whether Leiweke should stay;

Only on this blog. Leastwise I haven’t seen much mention of it anywhere else.

11. surelyyoujest says:

I don’t quite understand the TL venom, nor the issue people seem to have with the management structure being put in place for the Seahawks. As long as the reporting relationships are clear (everyone reports to TL, that’s clear) the abiguity just doesn’t exist. Now, you could argue that a non-football guy shouldn’t be the ultimate authority for a football Team, but I don’t buy into that necessarily. You need someone with the people, management, and motivational skills to make the people on the ground work at their best (aka a Leader) and I expect TL has that. Paul Allen is no fool.

I don’t buy into the fact that you can’t find two counterparts (coach and GM) that will work together successfully unless one has “ultimate authority” over the other. Of course you can, and that’s what they are trying to do. Having MH report to TR didn’t avoid the contention nor the dysfunction, so I don’t see how this model is any more likely to fail.

And the end of the day, it’s about getting the right people that can work together, each making the other better. If they can do that they’ll be very successful. If not, find two different people who will make it work. I love Mike Holmgren, but he (and Tim R.) has an ego to match his physical stature. He’s pure alpha, and anything less that total authority will be an issue, which is why the Cleavland job is so enticing for him.

Leaders make people around them better, they don’t beat or intimidate them into submission. Or in Mora’s case, embarrass them in a public forum.

12. nighthawk2 says:

“You know, I never even heard of Tod Leiweke until Ruskell was fired. Now he seems to be the next favorite effigy on this board. I think there’s just a lot of people out there who need to have somebody to hate.”

Most of us have known who Tod Leiweke is for a long time, the head honcho of this team below Paul Allen. And quite a few us have posted on the subject. And you don’t know who he is? Apparently you didn’t know who Floyd Reese is either. Try paying a little more attention to professional football, and maybe some of these things won’t catch you by surprise.

13. Earther, you’re right…he’s all of a sudden big news, but it’s hard to blame people for being ticked off by how fast and how hard this team has fallen, and especially those who spend big bucks on tickets.

Nighthawk…what’s the point of that except to be mean?! You’ve been around here for a hell of a long time, so show some patience and leadership, and if you can’t do that, then at least be nice.

14. BrianBlades says:

Earther says:
    …”I think there’s just a lot of people out there who need to have somebody to hate.”

Nighthawk2 attacks.

Too funny.

I think Earther knows more than a couple of the home-grown, self appointed experts on this board.

Audible – agree with your read on the situation about TL as it relates to Holmgren and Ruskell. TL would appear to deserve to run his own game before getting the ax. It would be funny if there were some self-appointed expert who defended Mora but had called for TL’s head.

Can’t wait for the GM to be chosen, along with the rest of Pete’s crew. And then on to the draft!

15. “on to the draft”….don’t forget about free agency starting next month!

The nice thing about the coaching and gm changes is that it gives us some Seahawks news to help shorten the offseason. Last offseason seemed like it would last forever!

16. nighthawk2:Most of us have known who Tod Leiweke is for a long time, the head honcho of this team below Paul Allen. And quite a few us have posted on the subject. And you don’t know who he is

Well I do now. Like I said, ever since Ruskell was fired. I may have missed those mountains of posts you claim to have written prior to the firing. I admit that I have only followed this blog in splashes over the past two or three years (it tends to get a little dry after a while). So I will choose to believe you even though deep down inside I really don’t.

Apparently you didn’t know who Floyd Reese is either

Well that post was intended to be a joke, you see. I know, I know, don’t quit my day job. I apologize if you didn’t get it.

17. bulldog80 says:

While I agree that TL should be accountable by how this coach and GM does, this venom against him does seem a little misplaced. It seems to me that everyone of the personnel decisions he’s made has been in, what he believes to be, in the best interest of the Seahawks. Which is what his job is supposed to be. He’s totally proven me wrong by making the decision to fire the last staff and go in another direction. I’m very glad that he did, and it instilled a great deal of respect and hope for me as a fan. I can’t help but feel that the guys with big TL problems are also the guys that thought the last staff deserved another year. If you’re in that category I feel for you, but am very glad your voices weren’t heard through this mess.

18. bulldog80 says:

BTW earther, I got the UCLA joke. it was funny

19. “I’m all in favor of ousting Tod Leiweke, been calling for his head too for a long time.”

Hilarious! These comments just get funnier all the time. I don’t think some people even read what they’re writing, or they would be laughing too. But they are too busy explaining to us that they told you so. They told you we just need to fire Paul Allen NOW. Yeah, that’s it. Championship!

I think we all know the answer. By now everyone here knows there is only one way to save the Seahawks.

Fire nighthawk2.