Hawks fire head coach Jim Mora

Post by Darrin Beene / The News Tribune on Jan. 8, 2010 at 11:04 am with 58 Comments »
January 8, 2010 11:23 am

First reported by Jay Glazer of Fox Sports and later confirmed by the team, the Seattle Seahawks have fired head coach Jim Mora this morning.

Mora led the Seahawks to a 5-11 record in his only year as the head coach of the team. Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke had said last month he expected Mora to coach next season, and Mora said on Wednesday at his season-ending press conference that he was going to carry on as if he was going to return to the team.

The Seahawks struggled under Mora, losing their last four games of the season for the first time since the 1992 season, scoring only 37 points over that period. In the Seahawks’ 11 losses, they lost by an average of 19 points per game.

1. Good luck Mora!!!

2. vichawkfan says:

interesting they fire him before getting a GM. Makes me wonder if the FO is looking at Cowher as a coach/GM. Only scenario I can think of that prompts a move like this.

3. elcidvicious says:

Awesome news. This move helps me to be much more enthusiastic for next season. Mora was always Ruskell’s man. Now the new GM can bring in his own coach, with a consistent philosophy.

4. Seahawks2620 says:

It’s possible that the FO is just that ignorant, that they hadn’t thought that far into the future. I wouldn’t put it beyond them. Let’s hope that is not the case, and they have Cowher and Dungy on their minds.

5. It is nice to see that they have corrected the last Ruskell’s mistake. Thank you Mr. Allen.

GO SEAHAWKS

6. Are Cowher and Dungy both wanting a GM/HC position?

Did Heckert cancelling his interview have anything to do with us? Perhaps Holmgren floated the rumor that Mora was going to be retained? That’s dirty pool but he is competing for candidates.

7. Coolalvin says:

Wow….
    Mora walked into a bad situation with a lack of talent and a GM on his way out. I don’t think is fair to fire a guy after one season in this situation .

8. Or, maybe a GM has tentatively accepted the position but needed to be assured that he would start with a clean slate, so they canned Mora.

9. The news and the repercussions are just hitting me….NO MORE KNAPP! I have gotten so sick of the posts ad nauseum this year pointing out his lousy coaching and play calling.. This is going to be an amazing offseason, guys!

10. ChrisHolmes says:

Best news all season.

Now, someone call Jim Harbaugh quick, before another NFL team grabs him…

11. “I don’t think is fair to fire a guy after one season in this situation”

We actually did Mora a huge favor by firing him because he can point to the fact that we canned the GM right along with him after only one season and with no pro bowl players.

12. Now we can listen to rumors for the next six months that Mora is going to coach at UW. That’s a good place for him.

13. BORNHAWK says:

This is obviously part of the plan that the brass are implementing in order to get their guy. What better way to say in your face than giving the coach that beat you in the Super Bowl the job offered to you in Seattle. Wonder what Holmgren is thinking.

14. Interesting point, Bornhawk….hadn’t thought of that.

15. wow. biggest seahawks upheaval that i can remember. can’t say i’m sorry to see him go – not that this season was all his fault, it wasn’t, but he did nothing to win me over, and make me want to see him get another season.

and but so, who’s in charge as of today? please sir, choose wisely on the coach and gm.

it’s a little nervewracking, but also kind of exciting to see what happens, and who we go with for these roles.

16. BORNHAWK says:

The rumor is that John Fox is a possibility.

17. Audible, as a Huskies alumni you almost gave a heart attack with that statement. Huskies have a great head coach and we don’t need no stinking Mora.

18. nighthawk2 says:

There is a God!!! I was really afraid the front office would wimp out, keep this clown another year and we’d waste yet another season. Mora deserved to be fired, and so did his staff, especially Greg Knapp. Maybe it means some big name coach is available, or maybe it just means that they finally came to their senses and realized this guy has lost this team and is in over his head as a head coach. Now if we get a good GM who can judge talent, and a good head coach who puts a real staff together, we can begin turning this thing around immediately. I don’t expect to go 11-5 next year, but I expect a better product on the field, more intelligent play calling and better talent on the field.

19. Writing’s on the wall. A new GM has been ID’d but wants a clean slate before coming.

GM announcement will be made within a few days.

20. As I said weeks ago, Allen is going to do what he did when he bought the team. He’s going to bring in a proven coach like he did with Holmgren. And, we’re going to hire a top GM for icing on the cake.

21. Pat_riot says:

Bring on Cower!! Screw Dungy.. anyone can coach a Peyton Manning team to the post season..

22. wabubba67 says:

Frazier is more than a Rooney Rule candidate and he likes big boys (the Williams bros.) up front….could be a prelude to trading up to get Suh.

23. BORNHAWK says:

I think we could have a real shot at Cowher, we have no GM and he wants final say on the roster, Paul Allen will do what it takes to get the big name here, he has done it before with Holmgren. I have no doubt that this move was made to get a big name in here, that’s the only thing that makes sense with the timing, Buffalo is really pursuing him and Seattle had to do something if they wanted to land their guy. Where would you rather coach, Seattle or Buffalo? Not much of a choice their.

24. Sorry CYRREEN,

Didn’t mean to cause your blood pressure to spike. I’m in San Diego and really not in the loop when it comes to Husky football. Maybe Mora can go coach the Mist.

25. QB_Sneak says:

I think there are 3 scenarios possible here:

1. The FO doesn’t want the GM’s first official act to be firing the head coach.

2. The FO wants the GM job to come with a “hire your own coach right away” perk. I worry about the rumor they are looking at candidates already. If I were a GM interviewing, I would be turned off by that fact.

3. The FO felt this was necessary now with the coaching candidates out there, and couldn’t wait for a GM to land.

My biggest worry is that they are interviewing candidates for coach before GM, and that they are looking at unproven coordinators like Frazier with the HOF caliber coaches out there today.

26. If they do hire a HC before GM I think we’d know Webster is going to be the GM. It seem hard to believe they would clean house and then hire a GM already saddled with a coach. With that, I’d be very surprised if Seattle doesn’t have their GM named by next week at this time. Whether that’s Webster or DeCosta and I think it’s between those two, at this point

27. sugashack says:

I agree on the identified GM wanting the slate clean and this was the last hurdle to announcing. Wouldn’t be surprised if GM announcement was over the weekend. One thing that is confusing is that the coordinators didn’t get dismissed. Any coach hired is going to bring in his own staff so why not do him a favor and dump the coordinators?

Is there a single GM/coach in the league anymore? I thought that NFL experiment had been proven a failure?

28. This definitely makes the GM search much easier. No GM is going to want to be handcuffed into keeping someone around that he didn’t bring in or necessarily want.

“Several media outlets are reporting that the Seahawks have asked the Minnesota Vikings for permission to interview Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.”

You have got to be f-ing kidding me!!! This guy is almost as dumb/bad as Brad Childress and I’d take Mora over Childress any day. Be careful for what you wish for Seahawks fans, all of us — it could come back to bite you in the ass and that’s what will happen if we hire an idiot like Frazier. This guy has more talent than almost any other defense in the NFL and he still does some of the dumbest things and has schemes that are so out of whack (in some games) that it’ll make you think that our ’09 coaching staff was geniuses compared to Frazier in ’10. Most of my friends are die-hard Viking fans and they hate Childress AND Frazier with a passion and there’s a reason behind it. If the Vikings win the Super Bowl it will be because of their talent and in spite of their “coaching.” Prepare for the 1990s and the decade long slump if we hire Frazier. We’ve already had 2 years of worthlessness, the brass might be thinking what’s another 4 more with some clown of a coach. Good grief.

And why would we be interviewing, or asking for an interview, for a head coach when we don’t even have a GM yet? Unbelievable.

We can still make this right by getting a good GM and for him to hire a good quality coach. But to miss out on a chance for Shanahan doesn’t make sense to me. Just my thoughts/rant… doesn’t mean I’m right…

29. ChrisHolmes says:

@BobbyK Rooney Rule

30. Hope you’re right.

31. Maybe Mora can go coach the Mist.

LOL. No, I was hoping that I would end up with that job.

32. nighthawk2 says:

Trading up for Suh would be a disaster. We need an offensive line, in my opinion both 1st round picks should be used on the offensive line. We may also have an opportunity to get our future QB if Jevan Snead is there at 38. He had a down junior year but the guy has a lot of talent, and can learn behind Hasselbeck for a year or two.

As far as a GM/head coach, I don’t think there is. Shanahan’s new deal makes him VP/head coach, but they have a separate GM.

33. bigblue52 says:

It’s been well known for a few years now that if Cowher does get back into coaching, he wants to be able to name his own GM, let alone his coaching staff. What better situation can there be when you’ve got the richest own in the NFL? Sportscenter was discussing the scenario this morning for a good 3 minutes, saying the biggest thing Mr. Allen has to do is to convince him to come to the NW. Now if we can just convince Mr. Allen to love his Seahawks as much as he loves his Blazers!

34. bird_spit says:

Awesome..

It is the best of all NFL football worlds. I am glad Holmgren is in Cleveland. My brownies now have a legit chance at success. And now my hawks…well this is a great move. Mora sucked badly in Atlanta… BuzzKill was his only mentor.. So now bring on some freakin good news on my Hawks !

35. nighthawk2 says:

KJR is reporting that Frazier is declining interviews until after Minnesota’s playoff run is over. Which should be next weekend.

36. sugashack says:

Dukeshire, to your point you have to believe that who they announce at GM will indicate what the likely HC is (at least name power wise). Agree that this weekend is likely and if it’s Webster then a big name coach is coming in.

37. I’d rather bring back Kelly Stouffer than waste a draft pick on Jevan Snead.

38. I don’t think they’ve decided on a GM because we haven’t interviewed any candidates besides Webster and we’ve heard reports that he’s not going to get the job. We have two GM interviews scheduled for next week: Ross and Decosta, so we don’t have a candidate in place that’s motivating this.

I think there may have been some things going on behind the scenes that we don’t know about. I would be surprised if we already know who we’re going to hire as our new coach but had to get rid of Mora and our Rooney Rule interview before announcing it.

39. wabubba67 says:

We need to get bigger and meaner on both lines…Suh is stud (so long as he stays healthy).

Btw, it bothers me when people refer to draft picks that get hurt shortly after as being “busts”. To me a bust is when a player doesn’t perform for no apparent reason. A player that subsequently suffers a career ending injury (Tubbs) was an unfortunate pick but not a bust…just bad luck.

40. Seahawks and Browns in the superbowl 2012.

41. I have to say that I’m stunned by this. I seriously didn’t think that they would fire Mora after just one year. I know that it was a bad year, but he did have some up hill battles.

Well, let us all pray that we get a solid GM/coach combination.

42. The Seahawks released the following statements regarding Jim Mora’s firing as head coach:

CEO Tod Leiweke: “We’ve made a tough decision today, It became apparent after conducting an extensive internal audit, that a new direction was needed to provide an opportunity for the organization to be successful. Today’s decision, while difficult, is part of the process in building a franchise with a new vision in 2010. … Jim is truly a stand-up man, who gave his full effort to our franchise. We thank Jim and his family for their commitment to our community and for their contribution to the Seahawks.”

Mora: “This team, more importantly this community, means so much to me that it hurts not being able to see this through. I am disappointed I did not get the chance to complete my contract. This is a tough business that sometimes demands immediate gratification.”

Sometimes? Most of the time.

43. nighthawk2 says:

Chris Mortenson is on ESPN right now saying that Pete Carroll is the guy the Hawks are targeting and that Carroll is interested. “Much mutual interest” he said. He also said that Frazier declined the interview saying he (Frazier) thought they weren’t interested and it was just a Rooney Rule compliance.

44. KJR Reports;

Pete Carrol is being contacted

45. If the Hawks hire Pete Carroll I will seriously consider jumping ship…

46. wow – that would be big . . .

47. Jumping ship? F that.

48. MattandCindy says:

It’s looking more and more like Pete Carrol as our new coach. MARK MY WORDS!!!

49. No kidding. Pete Carroll seems like another version of Jim Mora to me…

50. Wasn’t Carroll unsuccessful with the Patriots in the 90’s?

51. seahawklovertoo says:

I think the “mob” (us & others like us) put Leiwekes ” feet to close to the fire” , so he decided it is better for him to can ( his buddy) Mora , than to lose his own job.
    Webster is still here though…
    Anyway, I am happy with the outcome. I can have (high) hopes for my Seahawks again.
    I am not so enthusiastic about Cowherd in Seattle and , I got “wore”out with Dungy’ “walk on water” routine… I am starting to see the wisdom of Duke/BKs suggestion of fresh blood for our HC (example : Pat Garrett from Dallas and such). No college coaches, please… unless we draft Tebow and bring in Urban Meyer as our HC. Hold your fire,I’m just thinking aloud. LOL
    No fighting today, only truce. Today we celebrate our successful future !!!!!!!!!

52. “No kidding. Pete Carroll seems like another version of Jim Mora to me…”

…and Jim Mora seems like another version of Dennis Erickson to me.

53. nighthawk2 says:

I’m not so sure Carroll would/will be hired. A sports dj from LA was on Softy’s program by phone, and said that if the NFL was returning to LA then Carroll being an NFL coach might have a foundation, and that maybe this was a bargaining chip with USC. Who knows for sure, but I’ll believe that when I see it.

54. nighthawk2 says:

Yeah, and with the Jets, he was one and done there in 94. But to be fair, that was a decade ago with the Pats, and Bill Belichick is an example of a guy who can be successful the 2nd time around. Even Wade Phillips, who a lot people like to bash, has been pretty successful this year in his 2nd time as a HC (and with a butthead of an owner too). There’s several guys I’d rather have than Carroll, but if it’s him, so be it, I’ll want him to succeed. I wanted Mora to succeed because it would mean the Seahawks were successful. I just didn’t think it was going to happen and it didn’t. But there’s a failure rate with NFL co-ordinators being head coaches too, look at Mike Nolan in SF and for that matter, Jimmy Johnson in Miami, who won 3 Super Bowls. It’s got to be the right combination of coach, GM and ownership.

55. IBGoofy says:

Been driving all day, Nashville to central FL (despite the storms)…. Just heard this.. Awesome! This proves there is a God! This move brings me back as an active Hawks fan…. No matter the replacement, we had no chance with Mora… Thank you ownership!

56. longco44 says:

Ahh to hell and fu..ck you all. How would you like to be fired for one dismal season? Hell, it was better than last year? Isn’t all that matters in football your Wins and Losses? That was the dumbest bunch of comments I’ve ever heard. You all should be shot

57. bird_spit says:

longco44,

Snap out of it big guy.. Mora is old news, time to move on.

I’ll tell you, I would have been fine keeping Mora, as long as Knapp was fired. I personally liked Mora, and would like to climb a mountain with the guy. That said, Mora’s team stunk it up..even after injury was not a factor. It wasnt obvious that they played even close to their potential either. It looked like Knapp was never coached by the head coach. I doubt Carroll would allow the team to be so pathetic. Long story short, Mora is no longer the coach of the hawks, so it is time to move on.