Jim Mora press conference: Little margin for error

Post by Eric Williams on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:39 pm with 48 Comments »
January 3, 2010 6:39 pm

Seahawks head coach Jim Mora was a man of few words after his team’s 17-13 loss to Tennessee. Mora said he was proud of the way his team competed, but basically said the Seahawks close loss at home, ending the season on a four-game losing streak for the first time since the 2-14, 1992 season, was a microcosm of the way the season played out for his team.

“We just don’t have a lot of margin of error on this football team right now,” Mora said. “And so it’s just tough for us to overcome when we get those opportunities and we don’t capitalize. It’s difficult for us.”

Mora addressed the two challenges that he went for at the end the game, when Tennessee scored the go-ahead touchdown that ultimately gave the Titans the victory.

Mora first challenged the 29-yard completion to Nate Washington, believing he was out-of-bounds when he made the catch, but the officials ruled that Washington’s right knee was in abounds, and a knee equals two feet.

He then challenged Chris Johnson’s 1-yard touchdown run, thinking Johnson’s legs were down before he got in, but again was rebuffed by the officials. With those two challenges, Mora finished 0-for-7 on challenges this year.

“No. 1, I didn’t think he caught the first one,” Mora said. “And No. 2 I didn’t think he was in on the second one. And if it was going to be fourth and that much (Mora holds thumb and forefinger an inch apart), then I’m challenging it. I’m not quitting.”

Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck talked about the final drive, saying that he felt in rhythm. On the final play, Hasselbeck said he initially wanted to go to the left side pre-snap, but Tennessee rolled coverage to T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Deion Branch’s side, so when he was forced to step up in the pocket he decided to go backside to Deon Butler on a 20-yard dig route, and thought he had put enough air on the ball to get it over the linebacker.

Of course, that wasn’t the case, as Tennessee linebacker Gerald McRath came up with the ball and the Titans offense ran out the clock.

“The plays were there, I think,” Hasselbeck said. “It’s the story of our season: opportunities were there and we didn’t take advantage of them.”

Hasselbeck finished 15 of 30 for 175 yards, a touchdown and an interception, with a 65.3 passer rating. Hasselbeck finished the season with 17 touchdowns and 17 interceptions, which is the most interceptions he’s thrown in a single season.

At times he looked like the old Hasselbeck today, creating plays by distorting the defense and playing with fire and emotion. But he still made a crucial mistake at the end of the game.

With the season now over, the players understand that plenty of changes await them for the offseason.

“The thing he (Mora) emphasized a couple weeks ago is everybody is being evaluated, including himself,” said safety Lawyer Milloy, who believes Mora deserves to come back for one more season. “And it was the right message.”

Asked to explain the difference between quitting and a team being despondent considering the way his team finished the season, Mora had this to say:

“I feel like when you lose, and you lose the way we’ve lost some of the games in the last, few weeks, that the perception is guys quit,” he said. “I don’t think guys ever quit at this level. I think at times, our teams have gotten a little bit of – maybe despondent is the right word – but ‘here we go again’ type of attitude that sometimes happens when you’re struggling. And today we didn’t get that. It’s something that we have to fight through and try to purge.

“When you have two seasons that are unsuccessful, back-to-back like we’ve had, that’s common. But it can’t be accepted. And so we have to find a way to purge any of that from our culture.”

Mora went on to say the only way for team’s to come out of that type of situation is to win games.

• If you’re looking for a reason Seattle struggled offensively these last four games, this stat might point to that more than most. Seattle finished 1 of 3 in the red zone against Tennessee, and in the last four games Seattle finished 3 for 9 in the red zone

• Tennessee running back Chris Johnson finished with 134 yards on 36 carries and two touchdowns for a 3.7 yards-per-carry average. It would have been more had the 62-yard run in the fourth quarter not been called back because of a holding call on Tennesse fullbackAhmard Hall. Johnson also finished with three catches for 20 yards. For the season, Johnson finished with 2,006 yards rushing, and broke Marshall Faulk’s record of 2,429 yards from scrimmage. Johnson finished with 2,509 yards from scrimmage.

• T.J. Houshmandzadeh finished as the team’s leading receiver, with 79 catches for 911 yards and three touchdowns, with a 11.5 yards per catch average.

• Olindo Mare finished the season with 21 straight field goals made.

• Seattle rushed for 140 yards on the ground today on 26 carries for a 5.4 yards per carry average. Justin Forsett finished with 10 carries for 74 yards, and Julius Jones totaled 61 yards on 14 carries. “You know, it’s just a shame that we waited for so long to really get going,” said Seattle running back Julius Jones. “Everybody fought hard, but. … that’s kind of been the story all year long.”

Game coverage
  1. snydro22 says:

Jim Mora had a little bit of a moment during his presser. He squirmed, pouted, and hung his head before apparently “snapping out of it” and then eventually apologizing to the reporters..

But..

In my opinion, the reporters should be apologizing to us.. Really, this guy and this coaching staff continue to under-perform, make excuses, blame injuries and kickers and uniforms, and you guys are still asking fluff questions in week 17?

How about this –

Why hasn’t Forsett been given a legitimate chance to start and carry the bulk of the load? Didn’t he average 7.5 ypc today? So explain why he only got 10 carries, Jim.

Do you feel Greg Knapp has done a good job this year and has earned a chance to come back next season? Now, this question would most likely be shrugged off with a “no comment” type answer, but it at least creates an awkward moment and probably makes a few headlines.

I am tired of this feeling that everything isn’t really as bad as it seems, because it is. In fact, it is probably worse. Let’s pull the curtain back on this franchise and force the change. I’m not convinced it will happen any other way.

“Mora went on to say the only way for team’s to come out of that type of situation is to win games” – Lol, yes. The only way to not quit or become despondent is to win games. Patient – “Hey doc, how do I not get cancer?” Dr. – “Stay healthy.”

That is one of the great frustrations I have with Mora; he never has a tangible answer or solution. Everything is an adjective. And I agree with Snydro, we asked to accept these answers. Unbelievable.

3. CYRREEN says:

Or, you should have asked him “how is changing the culture of the team coming along. I know we already know the answer to that….He has done a fine job changing the culture, from winning organization to the joke of the NFL.

4. flywhtguy23 says:

Mora should go, but it depends on the GM that they bring in. And the following question is probably on the interview list in Lieweke’s office: Do you want to fire my climbing buddy Mora? Yes? I’ll show you the door, whos next?

5. bigmike04 says:

qoute flywhtguy23 says:
    January 3, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I hope Lieweke won’t allow his personal friendship with Mora ruin the interview process for new GM as I think any GM brought in is going to want in the contract written that he can bring in his coach that he want and want to be able to run it without interference from Lieweke by meaning that personal relationship should come into play on making tough decision like canning Mora jr and his coaching staff and let some players leave.

I dont think Mora deserve another chance he just riding that 1yr wonder he had with Mike Vick as QB and after that was mediocore HC period.

6. I am kind of hoping that Mora will bring up what a great opportunity Texas Tech would be in a radio interview this week. It would make his firing all the more easy as it was for Atlanta. No offense to Mora as a person, just as a coach for the Seahawks. He and his staff need to go. To bring in a new GM and then immediately “handcuff” him by not having his own choice of coach, will only lead to more of the same failure in this franchise. If Lieweke feels that Mora is his man as coach, then he should also take over as GM so that it can finally be clear to Allen what an utter failure he has with the running of this team. I truly hope I am wrong, but unless a truly top notch GM and HIS coach is brought in, then it will be a near certainty of continued failure or at best medicore perfomances will continue with the Seahawks. With the possiblity of an open free agency and no cap this coming year, there is a golden opportunity for this franchise to finally get it right. If not, then it will define this franchise for many years to come. Perhaps Detroit and St. Louis can have the Seahawks then join them as the walk-overs in the league.

7. pabuwal says:

It would be rough to watch another year of Mora, but to be fair to him, the Seahawks have only had 2 winning records in the 8 other seasons they had 5 or more road games against teams that finished the year with winning records.

This year they had 6, the highest in franchise history.

8. MadSweeney42 says:

No. 1, you have to challenge the long bomb. Too close to change the call on the field but it was worth the try. No. 2, wtf would you challenge to make it 4th and an inch in a close game? The timeout lost is worth a lot more than any gain in letting a 2000 yard rusher trying to get an inch. Two of Mora’s earlier challenges shouldn’t even count towards his total because they were among the worst challenges, and I mean WORST as in the call was blatantly and irrevocably clear, in league history. There are dozens of moments like this that would seem to add up to any reasonable observer that Mora has his head up his a$$.

9. flywhtguy23 says:

pabuwal – I appreciate the in-depth statistical analysis of the fans on this blog, and that is a stat I didn’t know. But I am judging Mora on what my eyes tell me……..

10. flywhtguy23 says:

With the challenges, Mora was on the ropes with both eyes swollen and blood coming from his nose, he was swinging wildly at anything to save his coaching livelihood.

On another note, Ed Hocchuli (SP?) has really fallen off. He used to be the man.

On one more note, why wasn’t anything said from the broadcast booth about Hassleman throwing a killer block on the safety during one of Forsett run? That was impressive.

11. CYRREEN says:

Eric,

I looked under the TNT sports section, and there is no mention of Seattle Mists?? May I remind you that Seattle’s other football team has made it to the playoffs. I believe I am not the only fan, and I am sure many people on the Seahawks forum would like to see a section dedicated to Seattle Mists. Could you please see to it to have a section dedicated to the Mists. So us fans can discuss the team’s future, PLAYERS, draft picks, and the playoff possibilities. Thanks in advance.

12. CYRREEN says:

Sorry, here is the correct web site link.

13. MadSweeney42 says:

Good call on the Hass block, forgot about that what with the picks, the two handed shovel pass, and the extra hit he took when Branch stone handed his last pass as a Hawk.

14. HawkHeaded says:

My question, after reading the endless opinions of the men who don’t stand on the wrong end of this superficial firing squad is this: Of you, who has succeeded after being set up to fail?

The fact is, Jim Mora was set up to fail.

When Mora says, emotionally drained after what has to be the worst year of his professional life, that his team has little to no margin for error, he is absolutely correct.

One person is responsible for the failure of the Seattle Seahawks, and, aptly, he was shown a window to his fate and ran like the coward he is.

Tim Ruskell alone is responsible for the failures of this football team.

He had five years to construct a football team and he did so with a philosophy that clearly failed.

Jim Mora was given a group of football players who cannot succeed as a unit.

Even Mike Holmgren, as vaunted a name his in this town, failed with Tim Ruskell’s players.

Did Jim Mora hire Patrick Kearny? Did he draft Kelly Jennings? Or Lawrence Jackson? Did he trade away a first-round draft choice for Deion Branch?

Did he bring in the pair of safeties?

Did he give Shaun Alexander millions upon millions months before his 30th birthday?

Did he lose Steve Hutchinson, or waste a first-rounder on Chris Spencer? Did he throw dollars at Sean Locklear and expect him to replace a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer?

Did cause Lofa Tatupu to be hit by Deon Grant?

Jim Mora, in so many words, has stood at the business end of an unprecedented beat-down by an insecure fanbase which would throw their collective mothers under the bus to avoid another deacde-plus of futility.

We, as fans, are immature.

We are so scared of returning to the SOS that we overreact after two seasons of futility.

Jim Mora learned many lessons in Atlanta and arrived in Seattle ready to do things the right way.

He’s young enough to connect with players, but wise enough not to let his emotions come between them and the business of football management.

If anything, Jim Mora deserves an apology from a fanbase that is rabid.

We point fingers, we seek blood, but we don’t have an ounce of patience.

The fact is, this city, as a sports town, is immature, and hasn’t learned enough lessons.

We’ve lost for three consecutive decades, and, the only winner we had, we let waltz out the door.

Blame Howard, or Clay, or Christine, or Greg, but the fact is, if this town cared enough, the Sonics would’ve been protected.

We are impatient, and immature, and selfish.

I’ve seen enough, I’ve heard enough, and I’ve taken all I can stand.

15. snydro22 says:

‘This lynch mob must end, because, at the end of the day, if you call for Jim Mora’s head, you’re calling for your own head.’ – HawkHeaded

You had me, right up until this line.

I think most of what you said is accurate, but there are some things I think you’re missing here. This is the same team, personnel wise, that took the field in the beginning of the year. Are you telling me you didn’t see a difference in the quality of play between the first four weeks of the season and the last four?

Execution, clock management, challenges, etc. — things a coach has direct control over — were all getting significantly worse as the season wore on. Sorry, but the NFL is a cut-throat business.

16. heyyou_66 says:

HawkHeaded says:
    January 3, 2010 at 9:18 pm
    “Jim Mora deserves another year, he deserves the guidance of a general manager who is willing to put his reputation on the line.

This lynch mob must end, because, at the end of the day, if you call for Jim Mora’s head, you’re calling for your own head. ”

Thank you Mrs. Mora

17. MadSweeney42 says:

Mora was handed a turd sandwich but that doesn’t change the fact that’ he’s an idiot and a poor head coach. They are not mutually exclusive. I was against his hiring in the first place and I’m 10 times more against it now. I see nothing during the season that made me think any better of him and a thousand questionable coaching moves to back up my initial opinion.

18. HawkHeaded says:

Execution: TJ said without trust in play-calling, which we all know is a joke, the players can’t execute. Greg Knapp is a subpar playcaller and doesn’t deserve to return. Jim Mora is a defensive coach, and has made no attempt to state otherwise. Defensively, this team has over-performed considering the fact that each opposing quarterback has had a year and a half after each and every snap to make plays.

Clock management: Mike Holmgren is among the worst clock managers in the game and yet succeeded over and over again despite it. I won’t even acknowledge this argument because it’s far too fruitless.

Challenges: You win. Mora lost seven-of-seven red-flag moments, two of which came this afternoon. Big deal. It means nothing in the big scheme of things, if you produce a single red-flag moment that meant the difference between a win and a loss this season, I will kiss your feet.

This coach has been unfairly judged. He’s been set up to fail. No coach, not even Lombardi himself could succeed with this group of players.

If you call for him, you call for yourself. None of you could’ve done better.

19. CYRREEN says:

So, by giving Mora another year, what are we accomplishing????

Is he the coach for the next 5 years, 10 years??? Hell no
    Is he a accomplished coach which brings respect to Sea Town?? Hell no
    Is he a coach which demands respect from his players?? Hell no
    Is he a coach who can develop the new talents(drafts)?? Sorry I have not seen anything to say yes.

Did he hand picked Greg Knapp? yes.
    Is he the coach who makes the most stupidest comments in front of microphone?? Hell yes

Look, you can have Mora as a coach, but you better get use to losing. Cause Mora hasn’t done anything, and I mean anything to deserve being a head coach.

20. snydro22 says:

The “You couldn’t have done any better” argument is a deal-breaker for me. I won’t engage in that debate because it literally makes no sense and it’s a waste of time. I don’t recall any of us nominating ourselves for the position. Have a good night.

21. CYRREEN says:

I am also a guy you could call as, “Seattle to the bone”. But, I recognize my limitations which is, I am not a football coaching material. Jimmy should wake up and resign. If he really cares about the town and the Seahawks, he should resign tomorrow. But, I bet you, he will milk Paul Allen for $20 million.

22. HawkHeaded says:

Ignorance is the fuel of fools.

You’ve lost. Get over it. Any coach, under these circumstances, would have failed miserably?

Where does it end? At what point have you run enough people out of town?

There are failures, and they deserve to be addressed. But you’ve already eliminated the tumor, and you have to allow the flesh the time to heal.

If Mora fails next year, you have a point, but after Knapp’s ouster, you’re failing just playing on even footing.

Ruskell built this group, not Mora, but with a chance to rebuild, this man could surprise you.

To fire him now would be short-sighted and ignorant.

Fortunately, those who make the decisions don’t but tickets, they don’t frequent this blog, and they already made it clear that Jim Mora will be back.

So squack, and squirm, and bitch and moan, but your ignorance has fallen on deaf ears.

23. HawkHeaded says:

Snydro, dear blog master, you pick one point and tuck tail, not addressing the three arguments you originally brought up?

Well done.

Goodnight indeed.

24. Listen to me Mrs. Mora. I know your husband will be back next year. Hopefully, the new GM will replace his hand picked Knapp with some respectable offensive coach. Hopefully, the new offensive coach will do just fine and the team will come back to being a respectable team. Who knows, the new GM might hire a new defensive coach who might bring back the defense to respect. Having said that, Jimmy Mora still does not deserve to be a head coach. By the way, Tim Ruskell has done a lot for Jim Mora. He gave him a job which he did not deserve, and a $20 million dollar pay check.

25. Just for the sake of speculation, lets say Knapp is fired and we hire a Holmgren type of WCO coordinator. This is great for Matt and directly plays to his strengths. However, I have heard this is a hard system for WRs. Burleson was not as good in it as he was this more vertical offense of Knapp. Housh has never played in it. Butler will be a rookie all over again. Besides Carlson, who would Matt throw to who understood what the offense was about? I doubt Branch will be back, but he’s been terrible in any offense he’s been in here in Seattle. This is going to be an interesting week, month, and year. It’s like we’re lost in the wilderness and we don’t know where we’re going.

26. williambryan says:

Hawkheaded,
    Jim Mora declared that this team had expectations of making the playoffs at the beginning of the year. He didn’t feel he was, in your words, ‘set up to fail.” after four weeks this team had 2 shutout wins. Look around, shutouts are hard to come by for anyone. This team is full of players who can get the job done. The difference between good teams and bad teams, more often than not, is coaching. As the season progressed things got drastically worse, not better. Even as the team became healthier, things went worse. Why?
    There are a lot of things that go into a nfl game and for the most part, teams are competitive. even the browns have ended on a 4 game winning streak, the raiders have beat good teams. NOBODY has been embarrassed as much as this team has in a while. the winless dolphins of a few years ago had a lot of close games, the rams have played very hard and played close games, not even the lions have been embarrassed as much as this years Hawks team has.

Mora must go. For the people of Seattle (and surrounding areas) not to call for his removal would be accepting the losing history. We can’t stand for this and must demand better. A lot of fans can be patient if there is confidence the team is heading in the right direction (everyone was patient as Holmgren installed his system that took a good 3 to 4 years to start paying dividends) but there is no hope with this staff. No hope

27. Williambryan, thanks for explaining it so nicely. This team is heading in the wrong direction. If the front office does not recognize that Mora is not the answer, so be it. It is not my money, it’s Paul Allens. I’ll just watch the Huskies, Mariners, and yes, the Seattle Mist.

28. Just think if only Mora would have gotten the Huskies job……..

Either Mike Holmgren or Jim Zorn would be coach today. Forsett (or someone not on the team) would be the starting running back. We would have likely gone 7-9 with much less embarrassment. Ruskell MIGHT have kept his job. We would be mediocre instead of God AWFUL.

Hm……………………………BFD……………………………..

On the other hand, i really do hope Zorn comes back as QB coach after the Skins fire him. He obviously worked really well with Matt.

And I still say I really hope the entire coaching staff is canned, & will not watch the Hawks on tv next year if (K)Nap(p) returns.

29. Thank GOD Mora did not get the Huskies Job. As a Husky alumni, let me tell you,……Thank GOD he did not. I would not hire Mora for a pee wee league.

God have mercy on Huskies.

30. I think the team should get no time off, but start doing wind sprints up Tiger Mountain every day. Including all coaches & FO.

31. nighthawk2 says:

“The fact is, Jim Mora was set up to fail.” B.S., and I’m calling b.s. on that whole post.

“Once again, Jim Mora is Seattle to the bone, and, if you call for him, you call for yourself. None of you played at the University of Washington, none of you were raised by an NFL head coach. None of you have Jim Mora’s experience, yet, you all share his undying passion to see this team succeed.

If you call for him, you call for yourself. None of you could’ve done better.”

I’m calling double b.s. on that one. I don’t agree with Snydro on many things but he’s certainly right on this one. I couldn’t care less if Mora is “Seattle to the bone”, where he went to college (as if that matters) or who his daddy is (“Playoffs? Playoffs? We’re just trying to win a game”), a guy who got fired twice by the way; he sucks as coach of our team. None of us could do better? What kind of an asinine argument is that? Well hell, with that kind of “logic” we should have kept Jack Patera because none of us could have done any better. Yeah, the personnel sucks because Mora’s patron, Tim Ruskell, drafted and signed (and overpaid) for crap players. But a good coach can adjust schemes and make adjustments on the field and halftime to accomodate what his players can and can’t do well.

And if you’re going to try and rebut that with “it’s all Knapp’s fault”, who the hell hired Knapp and has the power to tell him to start adjusting plays to take advantage of what the personnel does best, instead of trying to force feed these guys into his schemes that don’t work with them? Jim Mora had that authority, and he never did it. He could have fired Knapp and moved someone else to OC who do that, call plays and devise game plans that would put this collection of stiffs in the best position to win, he didn’t do it. Good coaches find ways of getting the most out of what they’ve got, Mora hasn’t. Because he’s not a good coach. And the sooner he’s fired, the better.

You blame Ruskell, but I’d bet you’re one of the amen chorus that was in the “In Ruskell We Trust” camp, saying how wonderful each of his drafts were and his FA signings, before this season. Mora was his hand picked boy, someone who wouldn’t challenge him and didn’t have the resume’ to challenge him like Holmgren did. And now we see why, because Mora doesn’t have a clue, and neither do the guys he hired.

You think he challenged Ruskell on the wisdom of drafting a linebacker 4th overall who plays the same position–strongside linebacker–that Leroy Hill does and then re-sign Hill to a long term big money deal? And play Hill out of position on the weakside yet again? No. You think he challenged Ruskell on the wisdom of relying on a 35 year old guy coming off microfracture surgery to be ready to play a 16 game schedule, and thus ignore the offensive tackle position? Hell no. You think Mora said something like “hey Timmay!, why don’t re-sign Hill and play him on the strong side where he belongs, trade down with someone who wants Curry, and take Michael Oher”? Snowball’s chance in hell of that one. And Curry hasn’t done squat, so either Mora’s DC isn’t utilizing him right, or his position coach can’t get the most out of him, or he really isn’t “all that” like the draft guru’s were saying he was before the draft. You think Mora said “maybe we shouldn’t trade away all our draft choices this year and one pick next year, for one pick next year and try to improve the o-line with this year’s picks”? Yeah, I got a bridge to sell you too.

Mora is not a good coach, his staff sucks, and he needs to go away. Immediately if not sooner. If firing a bad employee who doesn’t have a clue and fails in a leadership position is a “lynch mob”, hand me a rope and a torch.

32. OakleyD says:

Amen, Nighthawk2!

All the fan’s I think (bar 1 or 2 and our HC apparently) have realized that the Hawks need to take a step back and rebuild!

For all the good intentions that Paul Allen and Leiwekie had for this organisation the past 5 years or so – they just haven’t panned out as expected!

New GM!
    New HC!
    New OC!

It’s time to cut the dead wood from our current roster and for once be aggressive in Free Agency and in the Draft! We cannot settle for 2nd tier coaching or playing staff anymore!

33. Thank goodness this miserable season is over.

34. zorn got fired today… new OC on the way I hope :)

How about this quote from Mora yesterday, “I’m trying to win every football game that I ever go out and play. If I’m fortunate enough to continue coaching, then that’s what I will continue to do because I’ve had a lot of success with that attitude.” – “Fortunate to continue coaching”? Sounds like he more than aware his position with the team in in jeopardy, it would seem he thinks he’ll likely be replaced. I should resist reading too much into that but what a odd thing to say from someone who is secure in their position.

36. Jim Mora may be Mr. Seattle. He may be the nicest guy in town. But anybody defending Jim Mora needs to honestly answer a few questions.

Evaluate Mora’s coaching performance this year and his prior performances and ask yourself this, is Jim Mora the next Hall of Fame head coach? Obviously none of us can know that, but really look at what he’s accomplished in his coaching career. I think we all know in our gut the answer to this question. Why do we deserve a future Hall of Fame type head coach? Because, as a business, the Seattle Seahawks are a top-notch organization. And because we can afford it.

So, was Jim Mora hired in error by the now-fired GM that royally screwed up the Seahawks organization?

37. Hawkheaded, I appreciate your courage in challenging all of us who want Jim Mora replaced by a new coach and coaching staff. I also think most of us would agree that Tim Ruskell is most responsible for the roster we see on the field today, which lacks elite talent at key positions.

Where I disagree with you is thinking that the guys on our roster cannot win, and therefore the coach deserves no blame. I believe that a strong coaching effort by a strong coaching staff would have taught this team some new offensive and defensive schemes that work.

We had a healthy team throughout the last half of the season, yet in the final four games the offense looked more uncoordinated, tentative, and confused than they were at the start of the season, or at any time last year. That’s bad coaching. The defense delivered decent performances against the 49ers and Titans, yet their performances against Texas and Tampa cannot be excused. They look overmatched, yes, but also often out of position.

Good coaches take average players and coach them up to compete for playoff spots. Its done every year in the NFL. The Seahawks had enough talent to win 8 or 9 games this year if the players had responded to their coaches and adopted a winning attitude. It never happened.

Despite Mora’s statements, I didn’t see improvement in the team between game 1 and game 16. That’s a serious indictment of any coach.

38. Lefty24 says:

I’ve gone back and forth on how much I blame Mora for the failures of this season. Under normal circumstances, I actually would give him a second year to prove himself.

HOWEVER, these are not normal circumstances. There are just too many currently unemployed coaches that are hands down better than Mora. When good free agents become available, you don’t give your current roster failures a second chance. You bring in the better talent and purge the lesser talent. And that’s even with a salary cap. Why not take the same approach with the coaching staff, whose salaries do not count against the cap, especially with a Richie Rich for an owner?

If Mora and his staff are kept on for another year, it SHOULD be because none of the big names out there want to come to Seattle. Of course, we’ll see how things play themselves out…

39. hambone08 says:

I got a stomach ache from my fan appreciation day hotdog…pretty much sums up our season

40. From the NFL website – So I guess we get 6 and 14- which I think is what all of us thought but anyway. . . .

Here’s the order that teams will make picks in this year’s draft, which is scheduled for April 22-24 in New York.

1. Rams (1-15)
    2. Lions (2-14)
    3. Buccaneers (3-13)
    4. Redskins (4-12)
    5. Chiefs (4-12)
    6. Seahawks (5-11)
    7. Browns (5-11)
    8. Raiders (5-11)
    9. Bills (6-10)
    10t. Jaguars (7-9)
    10t. Broncos, from Bears (7-9)
    12. Dolphins (7-9)
    13. 49ers (8-8)
    14. Seahawks, from Broncos (8-8)
    15. Giants (8-8)
    16t. 49ers, from Panthers (8-8)
    16t. Titans (8-8)
    18. Steelers (9-7)
    19t. Falcons (9-7)
    19t. Texans (9-7)

Coin tosses will be used to decide between picks 10-11, 16-17 and 19-20 because the teams had the same strength of schedule and no division or conference tie-breakers to apply.

Picks 21 to 24 will be the wild-card losers. Picks 25 to 28 will be the divisional-round losers. Picks 29-30 will be the conference championship losers. Pick 31 will be the Super Bowl loser. Pick 32 will be the Super Bowl winner.

41. freedom_X says:

14th pick from Denver? That’s actually way better than I thought. I thought the pick would be around 20. 6 and 14 should get 2 good players, with all the holes Seattle should be able to take best available player and still fill needs. Or enough to trade as high as #2 (doubt Rams would deal with Seattle, and Seattle probably shouldn’t deal with a division rival on something this big.)

42. We need Zorn to get back here ASAP, hopefully to replace Knapp (if Mora stays), but if not, just to help get Matt back to playing to his ability.

43. Oldbutslow says:

While I have not been particularly happy with Mora’s performance this year, it should remain the choice of the new GM. If the new guy decides that Mora should stay another season, I will support that.

My biggest problem with our head coach has been game preparation. Especially late in the season, the team did not seem to be ready to play in the first quarter. To me, that reflects on the coaching staff. Getting behind early in games is a sure road to a losing record.

On a side note, the 7 failures with the red sock would seem to somewhat the fault of the spotters in the box who are looking at replays. Mora was not apparently getting good advice.

44. RADEoN:zorn got fired today… new OC on the way I hope

Maybe. A lot of things that have to happen beforehand. First Seattle needs to fire Jim Mora. Then the new coach they bring in needs to want Zorn as his coordinator and Zorn needs to be available and willing at that time (which will probably be a while since they haven’t even got an new GM in place yet). It could happen. I wouldn’t hold my breath though.

A bigger firing happened in Buffalo. The entire staff was let go, including interim HC Perry Fewell. Now there’s a guy you want as your defensive coordinator if you can get him.

45. riot613 says:

This is garbage. You finally run the ball down the feild and give Forsett one chance to score from the 2 yard ling. Next, a fade route to Butler who’s probably the 2nd smallest of all our receivers (that was thrown out of bounds). Then, you knew that the 3rd and 2 was going to be forced to Housh whether he was open or not and of course he was not. This is the most rediculous offense. Don’t be fooled by the passing numbers either. Most of the passing yards were on screens. That’s not going to beat any decent defenses in the league. I really hope nobody’s getting excited about seeing this again next year. That was awful.

46. In ’05, 1st and goal from the 2, what’s the odds Hawks score?

47. snydro22 says:

OldbutSlow,

Please consider writing a weekly (or monthly, or daily, or hourly, or annually) article for our new blog. It would be an honor for us to have you contribute in any way.