Friday practice report: RB Jones good to go

Post by Eric Williams on Jan. 1, 2010 at 1:56 pm with 37 Comments »
January 1, 2010 1:56 pm

Seahawks head coach Jim Mora said Julius Jones, who practiced for the first time this week today, is good to go and should play on Sunday.

Jones is nursing rib and foot injuries, but full participated in practice today.

“It looks like Julius will be ready to go,” Mora said. “He did everything in practice. He looked good. His ribs feel okay, as well as they can feel right now. And his foot was the main thing and he seemed to get through that okay.”

The news for cornerback Josh Wilson is not so good. Mora said Wilson, who did not practice today, is questionable at best for Sunday, and will be a game-time decision.

“He’s just not coming along as quickly as hoped,” Mora said.

If Wilson can’t go, Kelly Jennings will start at corner, with Jordan Babineaux serving as the nickel guy and Jennings moving inside and Ken Lucas coming in on dime situations.

Linebacker Aaron Curry also is doubtful for Sunday, and did not practice for a second straight week.

“He just hasn’t regained the strength that’s necessary in that arm to be effective,” Mora said.

After having his knee drained on Wednesday, linebacker Leroy Hill practiced Thursday and today, and should be fine for Sunday. Hill is listed as probable on the injury report.

Nate Burleson (ankle) is out for a third straight week.

For Tennessee, LB Keith Bullock (knee), CB Nick Harper (forearm), DT Tony Brown (knee/quad) and DE Jevon Kearse (not injury related) are out.

CB Ryan Mouton (ankle) and OT Troy Kropog (calf) are questionable. And C Kevin Mawae (elbow) is probable.

Mora said he doesn’t have any New Year’s resolutions that he wanted to share, other than getting a win on Sunday.

“My most immediate New Year’s resolution is to get a win on Sunday, and to start the year off on a positive note for us and for our fans,” he said.

Mora also noted that if the Seahawks can get a win on Sunday Seattle would finished 5-3 at home this season. Seattle finished 2-6 at home last season.

“That’s not where we want to be, but that’s better than we were last year,” Mora said. “And believe it or not, we do feel as a team that we owe it to our fans to go out and play well and win.”

“I don’t know if I’ll be a face painter, but I’ll be up there cheering,” Mora said.

Notes from practice
  1. cut julius jones

2. Audible says:

“Mora also noted that if the Seahawks can get a win on Sunday Seattle would finished 5-3 at home this season.”

There he goes again comparing this year’s record to last year.

“Mora went on to say that he’s a fan, and when he’s done coaching he’s going to buy season tickets and sit up in the stands at Qwest Field with the rest of the 12th Man.”

Uh, huh…And, that may happen sooner than he thinks.

3. Mora`s gonna play this horse (J.J.) till Mora`s fired..Forsett is way better back.But the Dude is real slow to change…If he buys a season ticket,I would recommend 2 guys named Guido to protect his ass,,,general public might go postal on his ass

4. shoehawks says:

I am disappointed that Julius Jones is “good to go”. It has become clear to me that Mora is dillusional; and that Forsett only gets to play when Julius has already blown the game. I know the Seahawks lack talent; but I don’t believe their talent level is as low as their performance has indicated. I have been a fan since the beginning; and I can’t remember a time when the approach of Sunday brought on such a feeling of sadness and despair. Not even during the 2 – 14 year. I REALLY hope the “expectation” of Mora’s return is just posturing for the sake of political correctness.

5. snydro22 says:

Laughable..

6. I really do think the public support that Tod Leiweke offered to Coach Mora was just posturing. Nothing wrong with supporting your coach while the season is in progress. It doesn’t mean anything in the end.

If the Seahawks lose badly again to close the season, I see no way any new GM would agree to keep him on as HC next year.

7. Haha. Every time I think Jones is going to be out and Forsett will be able to play, Jones plays anyway.

8. There is a point in the video where Mora is talking about how they have been having good practices but it needs to translate into getting wins each Sunday. And then it seems there’s almost an awkward moment (1:03) where he talks about how they are in “the right mindset” to make it happen this week… it’s like that’s what he’s saying but there’s no way he looks or sounds like he genuinely believes it or he’s almost embarassed to be saying it based on how the last few weeks have gone. I just found that kind of funny.

9. So did Ken Lucas go from being a starter to being behind Trufant, Wilson, and Babineaux?

Also I hope Mora doesn’t end up sitting anywhere next to me.

10. *And Jennings

11. Ocho,
    Lucas was the starter only up to the Detroit game. Since then he’s played behind Wilson and Jennings. Babs doesn’t play CB anymore, only S.

12. vichawkfan says:

check out Sandos blog today talking about the potential Brandon Marshall to Seattle trade. Housh and Marshall would be a heck of a tandom.

13. eyeland says:

Mora is such a tool……If he told me today was Friday I’d have to look at the calendar. He doesn’t have a sincere bone in his body.. He lies to save his own ass. He really should feed his crap sandwich to Goldfish and leave the fans out of it…

14. Brandon Marshall is one of the few WRs who I feel is every bit as good as Fitzgerald. But I find it silly that people can speculate on trades for the Seahawks when we don’t even know who is going to be running our team in the near future. There are other Ruskell “character” people out there and those guys wouldn’t touch Marshall with the end of a 10 foot pole. We shall see… you never know…

15. princeaden says:

Boy I’m really looking forward to another Sunday of watching Julius Jones running directly into the teeth of the Defense instead of looking for daylight. LOL

16. earther says:

Jim Mora:It looks like Julius will be ready to go

Be still my beating heart.

If Wilson can’t go, Kelly Jennings will start at corner

Good plan. Two weeks ago that secondary turned Josh Freeman into Peyton Manning for one game. I’m really curious to see if they can do the same for Vince Young.

Nate Burleson (ankle) is out for a third straight week.

Saving Nate for the playoffs, are we JIm?

Yep, yep… you are definitely an improvement over Mike Holmgren JIm. Don’t stop reminding us though. I never get tired of hearing it.

17. “Friday practice report: RB Jones good to go”

DAMN IT !!!!!!!

18. williambryan says:

can we trade mora for josh mcdaniels?

19. devisscher says:

Sando is a fool. Getting another receiver? Yeah, that would solve everything. Then we would have Houshmandzadeh, Burleson, Butler, Carlson and Marshall. That would mean playoffs!

We already went after one receiver to many last year, so let’s get another one. And then he can give the new GM a A+ rating for his offseason and bash the Seahawks in September when they suck.

20. Audible says:

“I find it silly that people can speculate on trades for the Seahawks when we don’t even know who is going to be running our team in the near future.”

Yikes…”speculate” is what we are best at around here! LOL

21. Yeah, we can speculate with the best of them:)

22. Regarding the op: Crap. Watching Forsett was one of the few reasons I was thinking Sunday’s game might be worth bothering with. I so hope they release Jones.

23. SharkHawk says:

Somebody here actually wants Josh McDaniels? If there is one guy out there who is an even bigger egomaniac than Jim Mora it is Josh. He also had a good impact on a new team…. for about a month. Now look what has happened. He has lost his players, because he puts himself first. He is doing it this week with the playoffs on the line and calling out his players and throwing them under the bus. So pathetic.

The team was relieved to be out from under Shanahan’s thumb and responded….then realized that the emperor has no clothes. NFL players need confident, competent, flexible coaches. They don’t need “player’s coaches” or “gurus” or anything else like that. They need a guy who is in charge and capable. Holmgren was one of those. Everybody thought he was inflexible, but he did adjust the gameplan depending on what was working. In 2005 we were run heavy. In 2007 we were pass heavy. It all depended on what was working.

Overall Jim Mora is a guy that is cocky, not confident. He is arrogant. McDaniels is just the same. Completely out of his league when it comes to coaching, but he seemed like a real gem for a couple of weeks. Then they have gone 2-7 since. Why? Because his little game stopped working. Other teams figured out that he wasn’t able to adjust. His rah-rah antics worked for a bit, then guys figured out that it was about HIM and not about the TEAM and he has already lost his players. Congrats to him for it lasting for 6 weeks though. That was 5 more weeks than I thought it would.

24. I hope Jim sits next to me so we can have a beer (he’ll buy) and I can explain to him what’s going on.

25. snydro22 says:

Is anyone at the VMAC aware of what people are saying? It seems like the entire coaching staff and front office are completely ignorant to the turmoil surrounding this team – or at least they are not acknowledging it or offering comfort in any way..

1. Why would they not name Justin Forsett the starter already. Do they not know that every single person who has watched / reviewed / broadcast / commentated / editorialized a game this year has been calling for it and expecting it?

2. Why not hold a “State of the Franchise” type address, or at least comment on what is going on and what season ticket-holders can expect.

26. snydro22 says:

?

I am a sucker for anything Michael Cera does. I can’t wait for Youth in Revolt. Not sure why – although anyone who can claim to be a central figure in both Superbad and Arrested Development has a leg up in my book. Not literally a leg up, that’s gross. Although Jessica Alba could have two legs up..

Now they are making an Arrested Development movie, too? That gets me stoked. It makes me want to fist pump like they do on Jersey Shore..

Sorry guys, I wanted to add that question mark to my previous post but felt it needed some substance. In keeping things on topic, I think the Hawks are going to get destroyed on Sunday..

27. Forsett fans, don’t worry. Julius Jones seems to get re-injured a little earlier in every game he plays in. This week, I would guess we’ll see Forsett in as the starter as of about the second quarter, and he won’t likely need to share carries with JJ in the second half once JJ is on the bench under ice bags. We’ve seen this movie before.

28. Interesting article about restrictions on interviewing and hiring coaches and GMs.

the gist of the article:

it’s become increasingly difficult to assemble a desired staff…
    Unless a coach already under contract is being interviewed for a head coaching job, or a personnel exec is being interviewed for a promotion to general manager that would involve final say on personnel, their existing team can block any meeting…
    in a year like this, you’ll see a lot of rehashed coaches who were out of it, and it’s also why you’ve seen so many young guys get a shot…
    you’re seeing younger and younger guys in those jobs, and they’ll make less than some other guys, but the league is becoming less experienced because of it.”

The blocking of coaches to interview with other clubs is nothing new.

The Forsett thing is crazy. Lucas, Spencer, Jennings; there are multiple examples of players on this roster who have lost their starting spot / position due to injury and related play as a result of said injury, yet Jones continues to hang on to his despite being dramatically outplayed by Forsett. What the hell is going on there? It’s so weird. “… once JJ is on the bench under ice bags” – lol.

Arrested Development will be a fun movie (I hope). Cera has got that awkward thing down pat. For the Seahawks 2009 season retrospective, NFL Films should get Ron Howard to narrate it. Lay the whole thing out the same way AD was. I might join you for some fist pumps, Snydro.

30. Snydro22 says:

Good point. I’ve also heard more then 1 commentator mention this.

31. Looking forward to getting a first real chance to see Okung in a few hours. Should be a good game.

32. princeaden says:

Not that I was asked. However, maybe the folks at VMAC are waiting for the season to conclude to inform the season ticket holders and fans in general of the”state of the franchise” as well as the specific direction to be taken. It would certianly go a long wats to easing the mind of many instead of feeling like you’re waiting in the dark with a concussion(see Mike Leach). I hope something happens soon. It’s feeling like VMAC don’t care the least bit about what the fanbase feels.

33. BobbyK, agreed. I’m looking forward to watching Okung too. He might be the most sensible pick for Seahawks in the first round. Not a sexy pick, but it seems there’s a big falloff in OTs after Okung. A lot of the top-tier talent this year in in D linemen and DBs, which we need of course, but somewhere in our top three draft picks we must find our LOT.

34. Some people can agree to disagree. The draft guy didn’t see as much from Okung as he did from Eugene Monroe last year and I was totally the opposite. I thought Monroe sucked last year in the few times I saw him (and said it on the archives of this website) and this was the only time I have really seen Okung this year… but I liked what I saw from him so much more (granted, there were a couple of plays that weren’t so good… but, normally, play-after-play… I liked Okung).

Let me rephrase the Eugene Monroe “sucks” comment. I thought he played well last year. But for a potential top 5 NFL draft pick, I thought he “sucked.” I thought Monroe was a great prospect if we could have gotten him in the 2nd/3rd round. We just valued people differently.