Wednesday practice report: Hasselbeck sits

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 9, 2009 at 2:16 pm with 9 Comments »
December 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Just as Seahawks head coach Jim Mora said during his press conference earlier today, starting quarterback Matt Hasselbeck was an observer for most of practice today. Hasselbeck was suited up, but for the most part watched from the sidelines as Seneca Wallace worked with the first unit and Mike Teel handled the scout team.

We also got our first look at LSU product, defensive tackle Marlon Favorite today. The 6-foot-1, 317 pounder was added to the practice squad after Seattle placed offensive tackle Kyle Williams on the practice squad/injured reserve with a knee issue.

Favorite looks like a younger version of Chuck Darby, which could be a good thing for Seattle if he can develop into a solid contributor down the line.

Offensive coordinator Gregg Knapp talked about his Tuesday meetings with Hasselbeck, saying the two meet every week in the afternoon that day as part of the team beginning to put together a plan of attack offensively for that week’s opponent.

“I give him my general thoughts,” Knapp said. “We’ll watch some tape together. We’ll usually pick some part of the game plan or some part of their defense that we need to watch together to formulate the thought process of what you’re comfortable with, what I’m comfortable with.

“And that will create the first and second half pass game plan.

Knapp went on to say it’s the first time he’s done that in his career as an offensive coordinator.

“This has been really good for both of us, because it’s helped us get on the same page faster, and I get a feel for what he’s really comfortable with.”

Knapp also talked about the lack of time for Hasselbeck in terms of pass protection, and how Hasselbeck has not had time to get to his third and fourth progression in his reads down field.

You can listen to a snippet of our conversation with Knapp here.

[wpaudio url="http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/files/2009/12/KnapponHass.mp3" text=MP3: Knapp on Hasselbeck"]

Also, San Francisco added ex-Seahawks Baraka Atkins, ESPN’s Mike Sando reports. Atkins had been out of the league since the Seahawks cut him in September. He replaces Kentwan Balmer, who the 49ers place on injured reserve after having season-ending shoulder surgery today.

Here’s the injury report:

For Seattle, Hasselbeck (shoulder) and D.D. Lewis (knee) did not participate in practice.

DE Cory Redding was a limited participant in practice. And center Chris Spencer (thumb) was a full participant in practice.

For Houston, RB Steve Slaton is out. He’s been placed on IR with a nerve problem that’s causing numbness in his right shoulder and hand.

T Duane Brown (knee), DE Tim Bulman (hamstring), LB Brian Cushing (foot), DE Mario Williams (groin) and DT Jeff Zgoninia (non-injury related) did not participate in practice.

CB Grover Quin (head) and QB Matt Schaub (left shoulder) were full participants in practice.

Notes from practice
  1. Lefty24 says:

I kinda wonder why Atkins was never given another chance with the Hawks with all of their struggles on the d-line this year?

Oh well, we’ve done playing the 9ers this year, so at least his signing can’t DIRECTLY hurt us.

By looking a bit like Darby I presume you mean in stature, not how he moves. If however, you did mean to say that how he moved in practice today reminded you, however small sample, of Darby, that is a very good thing.

Have Knapp and Hass been doing this all season? And I’m curious as well, that if Matt has this much input into the game plan, why did it take so long for the Seahawks to begin throwing the ball when the running game was so terribly stagnant? This seems very odd to me because after the Arizona game, talking about the offense, Matt said they have to find out what they are good at and just do those things. He all but said they have no direction on offense. Are his suggestions being disregarded and Knapp just does his own thing? Granted, that was several weeks ago, but many, many odd play calls later as well. It does not seem to me those two are on the same page to me, Tuesday meetings or not.

3. IdahoHawk says:

“Hey Knapp, take the rest of the season off and just let Hasselbeck do the play calling.”

God I hope someone out there can come in a turn this program around.

4. Behind closed doors, I wonder what Matt, Knapp, and Mora think about our offensive line? I know they can’t throw them under the bus in public, but I’d love for an honest answer.

Leonard Weaver is scheduled to become a free agent in a few months. How many think we may a run at him? If Holmy comes back, I think he may return. If someone else comes in, I think they will want their own guys (and Weaver is too close of a Holmy/Ruskell guy to be wanted back). And the thing I hate about “new” guys is they think they have a few years to be bad so they seem to gut the team of players, sometimes, who SHOULDN’T be gutted. If Brandon Mebane is allowed to reach free agency in March of 2011 then I’m already going to change my blog name to “firethenewGM” whoever it is (including Holmy if it’s him).

5. Audible says:

I’ve been hoping Holmgren would bring him back next year. Philly is starting to figure out how to use him, so we may have some stiff competition signing him.

Speaking of bringing back players Dunskell let walk, maybe Holmgren can devise his own version of the poison pill to get Hutch back. Hell, I’d even let them have Burleson back as a consolation prize!

6. Marasin says:

Why bring back Waver. Phila and Saints are probably only team where he can play on his power.

7. Dukeshire: I was mostly referring to Favorite as the same stature of Darby, although he did seem to move well. As for the Hass-Knapp conversations, I think ultimately they started in a one direction trying to achieve balance offensively, and then once the injuries happened up front they just started trying to devise ways to move the ball, and settled upon the short passing game they’ve been using with some success recently.

Although I suspect with the line in tact for the last four weeks they will eventually try to run the ball more in these last, four games, because that’s what Knapp believes in.

8. we need oline before we talk about a fback

Thanks Eric.

Marasin – Knapp would likely not use Weaver to his full potential, but that does not mean he wouldn’t have a value in this offense. Especially when one considers how they have struggled in short yardage situations and the injuries to Griffith and spotty play of Schmitt.

Griffith has only 2 carries to Weaver’s 36, by comparison. I’m sure that number is more than what he would have gotten had Westbrook not gone down. But having (Weaver) 12 receptions for 112 yards to Griffith’s 15 for 83 indicates he would have been a contributor here. Ultimately he’s a very versatile back that should not have been allowed to walk, but I agree that he’s not coming back.