Practice report: Trufant, Hill practicing again

Post by Ryan Divish on Oct. 20, 2009 at 12:29 pm with 76 Comments »
October 21, 2009 7:02 pm

A few quick notes from practice …

Players were in shells and sweats

As Jim Mora said yesterday, CB Marcus Trufant and LB LeRoy Hill were out practicing today with the team. I wouldn’t call it full participation for both, Hill, more so than Trufant.

Trufantmug
Trufant

Tru did some individual work and did some drills on his own on the side, but he also worked in with the second team in 7-on-7 drills and the final 12-on-12 period.

Obviously, he’s a little rusty. But he did show moments of his normal self including a nice job on a little double move by Nate Burleson.

“Going through rehab and going through a long injury is a mental grind,” Trufant said.

He had no specifics about  his back injury other than to say it was a lower back injury and that he thought it was just a minor tweak when it first happened. It wasn’t an injury that was nagging and kind of came out of nowhere. He did say that he has to be proactive and do some maintenance to keep the back healthy, including some of the same core strengthening exercises that Matt Hasselbeck must do.

“He’s a quarterback, I’m a DB, so I kind of see myself as a little better athlete at times,” Trufant joked. “But it is same some of the stuff and we had some of the same type of injury stuff. It’s a constant rehab thing.”

Hill looked really good. He participated in just about everything that I saw and was with the first-team linebackers in all group stuff. Perhaps the most impressive thing for me was seeing Hill plant, change direction and go full speed without a moment hesitation. He ran down Louis Rankin with ease on a pitch play and also was right there on a swing pass to the flats.

Hill
Hill

“I’m just trying to get back as quick as possible,” Hill said. “I wouldn’t exactly put a timetable on it. Practicing today, I felt perfect. I’ll try my hardest to get back maybe next, but we’ll see.”

Teammate Deon Grant joked that Hill is playing  better than he did before he got hurt.

How exactly Hill got hurt is kind of strange.

“It was kind of a freak thing,” he said. “Basically I had bad form on a tackle. I’ll try not to do that again. It was odd. I wasn’t touched. It was just something that happened. It just snapped.

There were a good portion of players not practicing. CB Kelly Jennings, DE Patrick Kerney, OL Rob Sims, OL Walter Jones, OL Sean Locklear, LB Lofa Tatupu did not practice, but all were out there watching at the end.

One other noticeable thing is that Matt Hasselbeck is making good on his promise about getting more comfortable with receiver TJ Houshmandzadeh.

“T.J. and I have to get on the same page,” he said. “We have to be automatic. We have to narrow our focus, instead of talking that we could do this or we could do that.”

That was the quote Hasselbeck had after Sunday’s game. Well they worked on it after practice on Tuesday, staying for at least 20 minutes working on those routes and discussing things before each repetition. These guys are still working and haven’t given up.

Notes from practice
  1. Lets just hope Lock (at least) is back practicing by next Wed.

2. madpunter88 says:

I agree with BobbyK. Sean Locklear is the most critical of the injured players right now. He has to be starting at LT in the next game for the Seahawks to have a shot.

4. IdahoHawk says:

Thanks god we play in the NFC west. Only one game back. Arizona with a tough game and San Fran with no gimmie. I’m not giving up, But after Sunday I sure the hell thought about it.

5. @Duke
    I too was glad to read the last line of this story. As far as the o-line staying for extra work after practice, that would probably just mean more “freak” injuries.

Granted we all knew that our o-line would be far from great this year, but take a close look at the names here: Kyle Williams, Steve Vallos, Chris Spencer, Max Unger, Ray Willis.

No disrespect to Unger who looks likely develop into a fine player, but HOW CAN YOU EXPECT TO WIN WITH THESE GUYS?!?! It’s a shame Ruskell was too afraid to make a move before the deadline came and went today.

I personally would’ve liked to see him dangle one of our 1st rounders next year (Denver’s) to see if we could snag any ‘proven’ lineman, and then use our remaining 1st round pick to draft a stud. At least that way you don’t run the risk of drafting 2 o-line busts in the first round (a la Spencer) next year.

6. yep, “still working and haven’t given up”. Gotta love that. Some of the fans here need to learn what that means… not giving up.

Great to hear that Hill is fully recovered! I can’t imagine running and cutting hard after tearing a muscle in the groin. Hurts the think about it. Now, where’s the doctor’s report on Lofa?….

We need Damien McIntosh at Left Tackle against the Cowboys, along with Rob Sims. Kyle Williams needs to go back to practice squad.

Once we have Locklear and Sims back in there (Detroit game?) all will be right with the world again.

7. bird_spit says:

If by some miracle the rest of the NFC West lay eggs the rest of the season, the hawks will be whipped by the wildcard team they would face.

As much as I believe in miracles, it is time to sort out who is aged and physically done, from those capable of being consistent game in and out.

This team needs to go young, and rebuild. It needs to not rush those with temp setbacks and retire those that are done. I think four of the Seahawk “stars” should be moved to retire or ready for replacement.

Walt, and Kerney should retire this season. Grant and Hass should be positioned for replacement in the 2010 draft. I believe we have Kerney replaced already. Walt/Hass/Grant will require solid draft picks to “replace” them.

I dont want Buzkill making those choices in the draft. I want a LT with an attitude as our #1 pick. I want a QB capable of being as intelligent as Hass with strong ball skills. This QB would play behind Hass until Hass retires. Grant’s replacement if drafted high enough could replace him in the starting lineup in 2010. We need additional help on the OL with a lower draft choice.

If Ruskell is re-signed, then I suspect we will have a LT /QB/FS in the draft. But I’d rather those choices be made by other than Ruskell/Mora.

8. sammamishcoug says:

Ryan or Eric,

One of the things that shocked me (among other things) Sunday is how easily Arizona handle Seattle’s DT’s (Mebane, Cole, Terrill. etc) up front. I thought this was huge as there was no push on pass rush frmo the inside into Warner’s face and they were getting quite a push on run plays. One of the problems on that first drive was they had 3rd and 2 and 3rd and 3 in many situations because they were able to run the ball on 1st and 2nd down. Was it a new scheme or is Arizona suddenly better on the off line?

9. The Sunday afternoon of a loss is brutal. We’re all ready to pack the season in and get rid of anyone and everyone. The Monday is bad too. By Tuesday we’re simply thinking thigs suck. Same for Wednesday. On Thursday we start talking about how the season may not be over. Friday is a day about getting pumped for the game and thinking we could win and salvage the season. Saturday is for getting jacked up about a win. And Sunday is for screaming how bad we suck and everyone needs to get fired (including the janitor who emptied Mora’s garbage the previous week) OR Sunday is for how we’re gonna right this ship and get us to the Super Bowl after a win. And then the cycle repeats itself. It’s funny, really. I find myself in that camp all too many times. Because (although it’s still early in the week; even in a bye) I find myself thinking how good of a team we have minus our OL. But IF we get Lock back. IF Sims comes back and plays to the adequate level he had been playing at. And if they gel and prevent Matt from getting killed like AZ again. And IF Walt could come back and allow our right side to improve even more… If, If, If… if there’s no hope, you really don’t have anything… the odds are extremely against it, but I firmly believe we have a good team (again, minus the OL; too bad that’s the second most important unit on a team IMO after QB). If the OL could somehow function at an average level (the best case scenario for what can be expected given the nature of their “talent”)… we can beat a lot of teams. Will someone slap me for drinking the kool aid, please!?!?

10. “… still working and haven’t given up.” I love to read that. I’d like to see the o-line staying an extra 20 minutes, but that’s another story. ”

Totally agree. As bad as things looked against AZ, every game has its own complexion, and that game, as we’ve noted, got off to a freaky bad start with the pooch kick-off and the Hass fumble, that had us down 17-0, before we knew it.

I still think there’s talent on this team. For all the flaws we pick at on the Hawks (and I’m not denying they exist), if we applied the same diehard-fan microscope to any of the teams in the NFC West, we’d find issues there too.

It’s really a lot like we all felt after Indy, and then after Jacksonville – one win makes it all seem much better.

11. “Walt, and Kerney should retire this season”

I’ve been down on Kerney too this year – but you did notice he had two sacks on Sunday, right?

12. Bird spit -
    Kerney has 4 sacks and two forced fumbles in essentially 4 games. Don’t pull the plug on him yet..

13. bird, I’m not sure how Curry, Lofa, Hill, Wilson, Tapp, or any of our guys would be any better or any worse if they were picked “by a GM other than Ruskell”.

Except that without Ruskell, we never would have drafted Lofa, and we would have overpaid for Leroy Hill to keep him as a FA. We probably would have passed on Tapp and Wilson since they were “too small”. And we might be paying Mark Sanchez to sit on the bench instead of having Curry on the field.

I do agree with your priorities of adding an OT, QB, and S. I’d add to that another S, RB, CB, OG. I’m pretty confident that Ruskell and his personnel staff will be given at least another year to make those picks and deals.

14. bird_spit says:

You guys are drinking the Kool-aid.

If I were you, I’d prepare for more disappointment. 4 road games, out of the next 5. I guess we can get psych’ed for the Detroit game. And maybe a road win in St Louis. But is that worth it. We can’t compete against the AZ Cards on our home turf. That should tell you something.

That pooch kick was an awesome display of out coaching us. That 11 min initial drive by AZ was another. And it wasnt like Hass dropped the ball on purpose.. If we want to compete against AZ, we need to have more than Hill and Tru. We need scheme, or maybe better, and simplified defense that relies on the young guys to show up and shove that OL of AZ back into Warners face.

Just not yet ready to come down from this hill of dis-belief yet..

15. Yes, “the pooch kick was an awesome display of out coaching us.”

And, our punter’s pass to our TE for a first down was an awesome display of us out-coaching them.

I love Seahawk’s Kool-aid. Love it.

16. “That pooch kick was an awesome display of out coaching us.”

Can’t disagree with you there – it totally was. Smart, gutsy play. And it worked.

“And it wasnt like Hass dropped the ball on purpose.. If we want to compete against AZ, we need to have more than Hill and Tru. We need scheme, or maybe better, and simplified defense that relies on the young guys to show up and shove that OL of AZ back into Warners face.”

I thought our D was actually pretty good, as I’ve said – but you’re right that getting Hill and Tru back won’t solve the problems that lost us the game. Our offense was just overmatched and awful.

17. “http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/20/seahawks-drop-kyle-williams/”

Well – - can’t argue much against that move, he proved himself not ready for prime time, that’s for sure. We better get another body in though – we’re still down some guys there.

18. The Seahawks are 6-16 over the last 2 years. 3 of the losses basically were not competitive. As a Seahawks fan over the last 27 years, I have only experienced this once and it was 1992-1993. I didn’t realize it until after the fact, but it was a miserable experience.

The 1992 team was massively injured also losing OL, QB and WR. It went down in the NFL record books as one of the worst offensive teams of the modern era. The team was talented though; a HoF caliber defensive lineman, a 1000 yard rusher, a 1000 yard WR and a damn good defense that ranked in the top 10 and shut most teams down.

Last week the Seahawks played with 2 starters missing from the OL, Locklear and Sims. That’s all they were missing from offense. The Seahawks put in one of the worst offensive showings in franchise history, at home and against a team that did not have a great defense. There is more wrong to this team than 2 injuries guys. From the OL to the QB to the WRs to the RBs, no one looked like they belonged in the NFL.

Let’s just hope the team can get better because there are some potential road trips out there that can result in embarrassments for the entire franchise. Can you imagine allow the Rams to avoid a NFL worst 26 game losing streak??

sammamishcoug – I talked about that on another thread since Sunday, as well. I was amazed at how many snaps Terrill got at both RDT and LDT. He just can’t take that many snaps away from Mebane and Cole. I know they rotate players based on situation, but when he is in they do not have the best possible line playing, regardless of down and distance.

I don’t see Kerney retiring. He can contribute but if he doesn’t rework his contract, it won’t be in Seattle next year.

On that pooch kick; by Whisenhunt’s own admission, they’ve run that several times before. Either they didn’t prepare for it (shameful) or the players ignored it (equally shameful) . If you watch the replay, John Owens has no clue what’s going on. He runs forward, looking to block someone even though the ball would have hit him in the head had he stood in place. Simply put, players have to show more awareness than that. Good lord.

20. Seahawks2620 says:

We need alot of things, plain and simple. The O line needs a face lift, we need Colin Cole to show up and absorb those double plays that he was supposedly brought in for, Housh needs to stop being a whiny beatch, Hass needs to stay up right (which goes right back to the health of the O line), Walter Jones needs to realize that he is done, we definitely need more pass rush (Lawrence Jackson is showing some pretty consistent signs), we have to dial up a better game plan because Knapp sucks ass. Knapp needs to realize that we don’t have a rushing attack right now with this o line and that we cannot afford to run the ball on 3rd and 14. Many many things that we have to work on to have any chance at a little future success. Another reason that our offense struggled so badly was obviously the O line, but also because Carlson couldn’t run his routes because he had to continuously block the defensive tackles which didn’t do any good because Hass was still on his ass all day. Once everything gets put together, we can be the team that every seahawk fan expected at the beginning of the season. I don’t care if people think I am delusional, this team is WAY better then this injured and struggling team. Jacksonville is a solid team, and we shut them down hard. That was a glimpse of what we are capable of. Jacksonville has an awful pass rush which is why Hass had time to throw to our receivers even with this awful offensive line. If we had a healthy offensive line such as Walter Jones, Max Unger, Chris Spencer, Sims, and Locklear then that is good enough for Hasselbeck to tear it up. Don’t believe me, but we do have a good team

21. 2626 – I agree. IF Walt were healthy at LT, if Sims were healthy at LG, if Unger were allowed to play C (where IMO he should be), if Willis would be at RG b/c Lock was at RT — this team wins the division. I don’t care how we got spanked against AZ. We don’t get spanked if we have a good OL. A good OL revolutionizes our Defense too. It allows our WRs time to get open and time for Matt to find them. It allows Jones/Forsett room to gain yards so the defense has to respect our run. It also allows Carlson more time to be a receiving TE. It allows us to score more points, which makes it easier to play Defense. We control the clock more, which makes it easier to play defense. Our defense has CONFIDENCE in our offense, which again, helps out our defense. As dumb as it sounds, a good offense (and we have a good offense — minus that damn line) makes a defense much, much better.

22. “Last week the Seahawks played with 2 starters missing from the OL, Locklear and Sims.”

That’s not quite fair – b/c we were also down Walt, and then also, Brandon Frye – which is why a 4th stringer had to play the most crucial spot on the OL. And that overall lack of depth led to us having a converted center at LG (was Wrotto healthy enough to play? And if so, why didn’t we give him a go in Vallos’ place?).

“From the OL to the QB to the WRs to the RBs, no one looked like they belonged in the NFL”

It was a beatdown, no doubt, but I mean, do you feel like Hass and Burleson and TJ, who all looked like pro bowlers against Jacksonville just a week before, all forgot how to play their positions in a one-week period? Obviously, when your line is collapsing around you, the pass attack isn’t going to work well.

23. Seahawks2620 says:

BobbyK- exactly, of course it’s an IF and a humongous IF, but IF we were healthy then we are a very good team and pretty easily win this division. That’s the problem though, we haven’t been healthy in a long time and it’s really frustrating, because none of the supposed elite analyst on espn believe that the Seahawks are a good team. It doesn’t really matter, but we are a good team and people will see that if we can come back healthier on the line after the BYE. I’m kind of tired of waiting for Walter Jones to come around and get some playing and practice time in. I am not fed up with Jones at all, HELL No! He has done so much for this organization, I am just ready to move on and by the time he is finally ready to go, the season is going to be lost (if it isn’t already). Regardless of the record and the situation we are in right now, it is awesome to see those videos of Trufant and Hill practicing on Seahawks.com!

24. pdway,

There were several times Hasselbeck had time to throw and he pulled the ball down. Either the WRs couldn’t get open or he lacked the confidence to make the throw. Dockett was right though, there were times he bailed when he didn’t have to. That’s not what I expect from him, mentally. Of course, there were many times when the OL collapsed, but not every single play.

25. “There were several times Hasselbeck had time to throw and he pulled the ball down. Either the WRs couldn’t get open or he lacked the confidence to make the throw. Dockett was right though, there were times he bailed when he didn’t have to. That’s not what I expect from him, mentally. ”

@pabuwal: I guess I’d have to re-watch to check what you’re saying – not saying you’re wrong.

Is it your opinion that Nate/TJ and Hass are not NFL starter caliber anymore?

26. Seahawks2620 says:

How is Hasselbeck supposed to feel when he has a rookie in Max Unger and a fourth string left tackle in Kyle Williams on his blind side after having the security blanket of the best left tackle in the history of the game his entire time in Seattle. He is supposed to feel scared as hell! He is playing with some banged up ribs and is wondering if Dockett is about to slam into him on every down when he drops back into what I guess you could call a “pocket”. They say that they don’t worry about things like that, but everyone knows that they do. He understands how important he is to his team that he stays healthy and with that O line I would be just as nervous. Another reason why the WR’s were not getting open is because normally Carlson is back there consistently and the defense has to keep a close eye on him because he is such a stud, but instead Carlson was trying to block the defensive linemen on every down to make sure that Hass didn’t take to hard of a hit which I mentioned did not work at all. The O line plays such a huge part in every teams success and with our O line it clearly is our downfall.

27. bird_spit says:

If we spank Dallas, I will definitely drink from that Kool-aid. It will be an interesting game in Dallas this week. 49′ers/Crabapple, we could see a NFC West team show up and knock one of the NFC East teams properly. It would be golden if 49′ers kick some butt down there, and we march in and do it again. That would be golden. I hate the cow-girls from way back.

28. It is my opinion that this trio will struggle against the top 1/3 of defenses in the NFL and do well against the bottom 1/3. Somehow the Cardinals made them look like they didn’t belong in the NFL. It doesn’t help that the running “attack” is bottom of the barrel.

29. When you are used to getting killed every time you drop back… well, you do start expecting it and getting happy feet. Payton Manning did the same thing in the play-offs in ’05 when Pittsburgh knocked his ass around. I’m not ready to call Manning a worthless loser just because he got harassed on that day. I know you’re not calling Matt a worthless loser… it’s just that that’s what happens when you’re continually pressured during the course of the game. Even when you do finally get time to throw (both times – a joke) you’re not going to be mentally the same no matter what (nobody is) if you’re so used to getting the crap knocked out of you.

30. And another thing about Matt bailing when he didn’t have to… the guy probably shouldn’t have played last week against Jax and still has broken ribs. The bye couldn’t have come at a better time from him either.

31. bird_spit says:

If I recall, there was a rainy day in KC way back where Seahawks did not see the ball for almost the entire 1st quarter. If I remember correctly, the seahawks sucked bad that day. I can only imagine how waiting for an entire 1st quarter to get your hands on the ball must play with your mind. Add the lack of confidence with and by Williams, and it gets bad. Hass will light it up again, but man do we need a legit replacement. This line will kill him.

32. “I also think Hasselbeck can make very few of the throws required by an NFL QB at this point, but I haven’t heard much on that topic from anyone.”

I’ll speak to it. I think that’s way too harsh – ‘very few of the throws’? I assume you’re saying his arm strength is down – but I haven’t taken that away from him this year – have his balls been hanging up in the air too long? Not that I’ve noticed. He still throws a beautiful ball into the seam; and I haven’t noticed his throws lacking zip on out patterns.

Now, it’s definitely true that we haven’t thrown many (any) 50+-yard bombs, but I don’t know that that’s not due to playcalling from Knapp/Mora; or whether they’ve been called, but abandoned, by Hass.

Not expecting you to necessarily come up w/a specific example of where you noticed – but do you have one that comes to mind – or is just a general feeling?

33. pabuwal you make some good points here, but this one really has me chuckling:
    “Last week the Seahawks played with 2 starters missing from the OL. That’s all they were missing from offense.”

Ummm… I hope you don’t mind if I try rephrasing that for you. The Seahawks started a 4th-string LOT next to a 3rd string OG, to go up against the Cardinal’s Pro Bowl DE Darnell Dockett. There, that sounds a bit more accurate, don’ t you think?

34. If Matt and his ribs and back got through the AZ game… that perfectly demonstrated that the FO knew fully well that Matt was 100% ready for the season with no lingering concerns relating to his back from last season.

If only they were as good with their assessment of Walt or the “talent” of the OL in general.

And before people say there was no other way we could have gotten anyone… a scenario to throw out there is/was Jason Brown of the Rams. He’s a stud Center. IMO he and Jackson are almost the only 2 legit players on that team in the league. If he would have been signed, that would have meant that we had a rock solid Center for our interior OL (which would have given us a total of 1 rock solid player on our OL). And then Spencer would have been depth on the OL (if he didn’t start at LG over Sims or RG over Unger). Some of the Ruskell defenders continually talk about how he did all he could, but I have never heard of anyone saying to (overpay) for Brown. He overpaid for guys like Kerney and Grant… and the’re good… where there’s a will, there’s a way. Easy to second guess now, but, just sayin’… There’s no way Jason Brown gets blown over by anyone, and that includes anyone the Tards had this past weekend. The way he held his ground against Haynesworth last year demonstrated he’s a rock, a force of nature (and that was before, when Haynesworth hadn’t signed his big $ contract… but neither did Brown, I guess).

35. pabuwal:Last week the Seahawks played with 2 starters missing from the OL, Locklear and Sims.

Three. Locklear, Sims and Walter Jones. There’s no way that Max Unger would be starting on this team if they had a healthy line.

That’s a lot, especially for a team that’s supposed to be fielding a zone blocking, run oriented style offense. Granted, the coaching staff is not making the most of the passing weapons they have at their disposal but you can’t just rationalize away the impact that all of these injuries have had on this team like that. They have been devastating.

Regarding Hass taking too much time in the pocket, you can put some of that squarely on the plays. Not all of course, but they ran so many outs and those take longer to develop than plays over the middle. I think very little was done to “protect” him, truth be told. Combine that with a Williams / Vallos left side and 2 cracked ribs and you’re looking at some sacks and a QB that gets banged around.

37. Glad the Seahawks quickly waived Kyle Williams. I’ve never seen a Seahawk outmatched as badly as he was last Sunday. I don’t even care if he makes it back to practice squad.

If you heard Jim Mora’s press conference on Monday, he was asked what he would do about the OT position, and all he said was “NEXT!”. In this case, NEXT is named Damion McIntosh.

If you haven’t see this, here’s a great vid clip of McIntosh playing RT last December getting out front and blasting a S and CB out of their shoes. This is not similar to him playing LT in our system, of course, but definitely fun to watch a guy with this kind of power.

38. You’re right. That was a fun youtube clip to watch. Thanks.

39. nightwulf says:

Bird spit, I remember well that “game”. The first half wasn’t even football, it was 22 guys sliding around in the mud chasing a bouncing slippery football…It was a joke…The first half was pure luck, and it went the Chief’s way bigtime…They came out in the second half, after the rain had cleared and the two inches of standing water had drained off the field, psyched that they only had half a game of football to play, and they’d been spotted a fair number of points. We were on the other end of the spectrum…
    We already have a smart QB with good ball skills, let’s let him develop another year before we pull the plug on him.(remember, Hass was a sixth round pick too) Besides, at the moment, we are far more desperate for two (or more) quality O linemen than we are in need of a QB.
    We sucked so bad on sunday because our line consisted of a practice squad guy at LT, a fourth string LG,we had our starter at center, but he’s easily the worst starter on the line. We had a Rook with 5 games total under his belt at RG (and before we knew Walt wasn’t going to be ready, he was a second stringer there too, and a second string RT. I don’t care who else you may have on your roster, that’s a prime recepie for an ass whupping…we could have had Steve Largent and Jerry Rice as wideouts, Shannon Sharpe at TE, Dan Marion at QB, Barry Sanders and Mack strong in the backfield…it wouldn’t have helped…
    We ARE close to being a very good team, unfortunately, 80% of the pieces we need to get there are O linemen…(a S would finish off the D nicely, followed by another one in the next offseason) I can’t speak to our RB’s they haven’t had a chance for most of the games, and they’ve done well in others…

40. Yeah, great vid. I loved the commentary.

41. I think Ruskell needs to hire BobbyK as his OL scout. I’ve never seen him get an interior lineman wrong. I remember him clamoring for Grubbs a few years back – that would have been a monster pick had we not given up the 1st rounder for Branch. It’s still to be seen if Duke Robinson can become an NFL player.

Last week the Seahawks were missing 2 starters on offense, Locklear and Sims. So, when we talk about all the offensive injuries, if these 2 were in the lineup, there would be no missing players to discuss. It was unrealistic for anyone to think that a player the age and size of Jones could come back from microfracture surgery in less than a year – and without pain medication. He hasn’t even run yet. How is he going to play a full NFL game this year? He is human (I think).

The expectation here seems to be that having Sims and Locklear in the lineup last week would have made a huge difference. I don’t know how much these 2 guys would have helped one of the worst offensive showings in franchise history. When you are putting up numbers like that, it goes deeper than 2 players.

Regarding Hasselbeck, I haven’t charted his throws, but it appears the area of the field he works is very limited. The throws 10-20 yards from the line of scrimmage are always between the Tackles. He rarely puts the ball in the air over 20 yards with any effectiveness. Sideline throws over 10 yards don’t even seem to be in the playbook. At least this is what I seem to remember, maybe someone can clue me in more.

42. An article I read suggests that they cut Kyle because of McIntosh’s steady improvement and the expected return of Walt for Dallas. They’re probably gonna sign Kyle back to the practice squad at this point. Plus now they have an open roster spot to maybe sign another OL player…(or maybe Tru)

That is a cool clip while also offering a perfect example of why I can’t stand Trey Wingo. Anyhoo…

44. pabuwal – I think nighthawk had more of a Ben Grubbs mancrush than me. I liked the guy, but I think nighthawk has weird dreams about him (probably like mine about Hutch).

45. Ahhh, sorry about that. But Duke Robinson was your guy, right?

46. pabuwal:It was unrealistic for anyone to think that a player the age and size of Jones could come back from microfracture surgery in less than a year – and without pain medication. He hasn’t even run yet. How is he going to play a full NFL game this year? He is human (I think).

He wouldn’t be sitting on the sidelines taking up a roster spot on a team that has precious few to spare if the coaching staff agreed with your analysis. Maybe he is done. Maybe he’ll go on the IR after the break. But the mere fact that he isn’t on the IR right this minute should tell you that they think he’s an important part of this lineup and if there’s any chance that he can get back in there then they’re going to play it out to the end.

47. “The expectation here seems to be that having Sims and Locklear in the lineup last week would have made a huge difference”

Again, even putting Walt aside, remember that the 1st back-up guy, Frye, also got hurt, meaning we had to put in a super-scrub, Williams. Who’s probably got the last NFL start of his career on Sunday.

I think Hass still throws a nice ball – he doesn’t have the gun of some of the league’s QB’s, but I don’t think it’s a liability.

Anyway – it’s nice to have a reasonable debate on here, on an arguable point, w/out namecalling . . .

48. If Walter Jones thought he would be able to come back, he deserves the ability to sit on the roster while he tries- just based on the fact his name is “Walter Jones.” But that doesn’t mean any of us can realistically claim that his absence was unexpected like Locklear and Sims were.

49. variable575 says:

what the #$#@???????????

We lose bennet because we sign kyle williams only to cut him two weeks later???????????

TR=tim ruskal=Toooo Retarded

50. pabuwal:Eric Williams says Walter Jones hasn’t been able to run yet. How does he even play this year and at a higher level than Sean Locklear?

I haven’t got the foggiest idea. All I know is that he was their left tackle going into training camp and the knee started giving out on him and it just kind of snowballed from there. From the reports I’ve been seeing all season long I’m surprised they didn’t put him on the IR a long time ago. The fact that they haven’t tells me that they think they need him in there, that he’s still their left tackle and Locklear is a guard. If they ever do manage to get everybody back then that’s how it will play out. I.E.

Jones Locklear Spencer Sims Willis

Maybe with Sims and Locklear swapping sides. I really don’t know.

51. OutSydeDog says:

WCO is all about throwing short to medium passes with YAC, which Matt has been doing since his first day in the NFL with Holmgren. Matt wouldn’t be the guy for Al Davis, but he can throw a nice 20-25 yard pass. I think it lies more in the amount of protection the OL gives him (time for WR’s to work deeper) or not having a real burner to get deep, fast. They did take a shot with Butler that was close.

Losing to AZ sucked, absolutely. I’m really starting to take a dislike of our division rivals. That said, I’m still optimistic that we can win our next game, just like I always am. Call me a kool-aid guzzlin’ fool if ya want, but I am a true fan. I cheer, root and support my team, win, lose or draw.

GO HAWKS!!!

On a different note, here’s a real sad story about Terreal Bierria. Accused of 1st degree murder.

“I’m really starting to take a dislike of our division rivals.” Lol, welcome aboard!

53. bulldog80 says:

bird the the niners play the Texans this week not the Cowboys.

54. OutSydeDog says:

I still hate the AFC West teams, but since moving over to the NFC, outside of the Rams the first couple of years, we have owned this division. We used to beat both AZ and SF so bad, it was hard to hate. But getting kicked around last year and this has put an end to that..lol

I’ve been the same way. I still hate the Raiders more than any team in the league. But the Cards and their bandwagon fake-ass fans are climbing the charts.

56. OutSydeDog:They did take a shot with Butler that was close.

It was also a touchdown if it weren’t for the pressure. The announcers were blaming Butler for not getting under that pass but I didn’t think that was fair. It was a good throw, a good route, Buttler was at full gallop and had a step on his coverage. Hasselbeck was just hurried on the play and had to throw it too soon.

That’s the spirit. It’s still early in the season. This team could still have some surprises in store.

It’s just football. Even if they’re terrible the rest of the way they’re still making memories. Thirty years from now you’re going to be saying, “Hey, remember those teams back in ’08 and ’09 that had guys limping off the field every second play? Yeah, those were the days. Jones cola, hotdogs and hospital gurneys”.

57. freedom_X says:

If Walter Jones does come back and is 60-70% of his old self, I’d put Locklear back at right tackle. I think Locklear’s more proficient pass blocking outweighs Willis’ more powerful run blocking, especially with the zone scheme.

Darnell Dockett was certainly talking some trash in the post game. That’s what helps fire up a rivalry, if only Seattle can deliver on its end and make him eat his words (and taunt him with them afterwards.)

58. As a former baseball player, we were taught (and I later coached) to look up for the ball and then run to the spot it was going to be (I have heard this to be true from some football coaches as well). We were not taught to stare at it the whole time. The longer you run with your head in the air and looking up, the slower you become. On that play, Butler kept looking straight up and up and up, which slowed him down. If he could have judged the ball properly, and ran to the spot (or near the spot before looking up again) he would have been there and it would have been a TD. I think the announcers were correct in blaming the play on Butler. Granted, it’s not easy and it’s us sitting on our couches watching the game who think we know it all… but we aren’t professionals either getting paid big bucks either (b/c we’re not good enough).

59. “…staying for at least 20 minutes working on those routes …”

Ooooh 20 minutes of after-hours practice. But I am not impressed. How about 2 hours?

60. bird_spit says:

” bulldog80 says:
    October 20, 2009 at 6:33 pm

bird the the niners play the Texans this week not the Cowboys. ”

Proof I am not just paying attention to football – and least not the friggin 9ers.

61. The Redskins Signed Levi Jones!

What did Ruskell Sign?

62. nightwulf says:

Pabuwal,
    If Jones is in the lineup, he and Lock are bookends…Lock is NOT a G.
    Thus you would have:
    Jones, Sims, Spencer, Willis, Locklear
    Pilot, what, you want Matt to blow out his arm? We don’t have enough injurirs, you want we should have a few more? In 20 min, a receiver and QB can go through a game’s worth of plays…

63. princeaden says:

Clarification-in yesterday’s blog I wrote that TR and probably Mora and knapp should go. I didn’t mean now, in mid season. I’m saying TR should not be re-signed, that Mora was ineffective last year as secondary coach and probably has no business as Head coach and Knapp as plucked from his OC position at Oakland, where the Offense is as poor as there is, and has been in the NFL for many years. I don’t know what the answer is, but what we have now isn’t it. You just knew when Holmgren came from GB that things were going to get better, I just don’t get that same feeling with this regime. I hope I’m wrong.

64. Yes. It is a little ironic that last years DBs weren’t very good, but I blamed a lot of that on the lack of pass rush. Now, I’m not so sure that was the only reason. I think I drank too much Mora kool aid thinking his intensity would charge things up a lot.

The secondary clearly struggled last year. But so far this season, without Trufant, and Wilson and Lucas missing time or being dinged up, and having to rely on Fisher who’s also been hurt, I think they’ve played pretty damn well. Now, when Tru comes back and gets up to speed and presuming Wilson and Lucas stay somewhat healthy the rest of the way, if we don’t see improvement, then I’ll agree there are larger issues there. (Like, when the hell are they going to address the safety issue in earnest?)

66. bird_spit says:

princeaden – can’t say I disagree with that. Though I’d like to see TR gone before the absolute end of the season. Do players play off the emotional environment of the front office? If TR was let go, would it effect the team emotionally as a positive or negative? My gut says uncertainty cuts both ways. Some will try harder and some will be overly concerned about the next paycheck and be less effective. As we get closer to the end of this season, if the problems persist, I would want them to cut TR early. I wish the collective crowd at Qwest would ‘boo’ anytime TR makes an appearance. Maybe that is why he has been under th radar since the Rams game.

bird_spit – Before the Cards game last Sunday, he was roaming the sideline, pressing the flesh with quite a few people. If there were any fans who wanted to give him an earful, they would have certainly had every opportunity. He’s just not the type to grant a lot of interviews regardless of how they are playing.

68. “The secondary clearly struggled last year. But so far this season, without Trufant, and Wilson and Lucas missing time or being dinged up, and having to rely on Fisher who’s also been hurt, I think they’ve played pretty damn well”

Agree with that. Excepting the Colts game, and who can stop that guy anyway.

I think Jennings is back to decent form this year as well. I like what I’ve seen from our defense for the most part.

One note from Sunday – what a luxury to have a guy like Fitzgerald – b/c he doesn’t really even have to get open to catch a pass – the CB is literally right next to him, but you just throw it high, and nobody else in the league goes up as high, and with as much body strength as he does, so if anyone’s gonna catch that ball, he is. Several plays in the game, he was covered as well as you can cover a guy, and the pass was still completed.

That catch Fitz made while falling down and Jennings draped all over him was one of the best I’ve ever seen, live. Like you said, his strength and control is amazing. His hand are the perrfect combination of strength and yet soft. That’s why the only way to slow him down is to keep Warner on his back side.

70. yeah, those amazing Fitzgerald catches are still replaying in my brain when I try to sleep at night. I can only imagine how Jennings, Lucas, and Wilson feel. Un-coverable.

What still bothers me most about the AZ game is our defensive line. I think we lost the game because we had too few healthy O linemen available, and because Fitgerald & co are unstoppable, but if we were going to be competitive in that game our defensive line had to step up and pressure Warner. We made AZs O linemen look better than they are. Kerney made some plays, but in the end, I am most disappointed in Tapp, LoJack, and Mebane. We needed more out of them.

71. “We made AZs O linemen look better than they are. Kerney made some plays, but in the end, I am most disappointed in Tapp, LoJack, and Mebane. We needed more out of them. ”

Remember thought that they never got much rushing going – and also, we pretty much kept the receivers in front of us (Fitz had all those catches but his average was < 10 ypc), with the only exception i can remember being the Breaston TD catch (also a helluva catch). Given that AZ started what, like the 3 or 4 drives inside our 40 yd line (the pooch k.o., the hass fumble, the Breaston punt return) – holding them to the points they got was actually a decent effort.

72. “What still bothers me most about the AZ game is our defensive line”

I’m now pissed the most at Dockett’s post-game comments . . .hope the Hawks are reading this guy, who’s questioning their leader’s toughness, and respond the right way when we see them again . . .

73. I agree pd, that AZs controlled passing scheme was very tough to defend. (and we could say disturbingly similar things about the Indy game.)

But coming into the season, I believed our front seven is the strength of our team, and i still want to believe this. A four-man rush with occasional help from an LB or DB simply must get to the QB more often or more teams will beat us with a controlled passing attack.

We have very good D linemen, but It might be that Bradley still needs one more dominating DT to line up next to Mebane in order to make this work. Does anyone know what’s going on with Red Bryant and why he isn’t playing more? I thought he was going to become that guy but now I am wondering.

Stevo – Sorry if this is redundant but Terrill taking more snaps than Mebane is not a good thing. And I’ll have to re watch the game to be 100% certain, but it was damn close. I understand there is a rotation but when Terrill is in at either RDT or LDT (and he was at both) as often as a healthy Mebane and Cole, it’s reasonable to expect a drop in production. I’m not intending to knock Terrill mind you. It’s just that regardless of down and distance, I don’t feel he helps make up one of the best variations of the d-line.

75. nightwulf:If Jones is in the lineup, he and Lock are bookends…Lock is NOT a G.

In fact he is. He was a guard in college and he was drafted as a guard. He just ended up being pressed into service at tackle because because Seattle had a hole in that spot and previous drafts who were supposed to fill that hole were not panning out. If you recall he was kind of lost out there for the first couple of years. Then he got better with experience, which is what you expect.

Willis, on the other hand was a tackle in college and was drafted as a tackle. He didn’t pan out as well as they wanted at first either. Then he was pressed into service as a guard because injuries created a need there. He did well there. It turns out, I suppose, that Willis is one of those guys that just performs better in game conditions than he shows in practice. Well, now they have him at tackle which is his natural spot. He needs more experience, but that’s where he’s likely to stay. Locklear’s natural spot is guard. As long as Jones remains out they need him to play tackle but if you can get everybody back and healthy then you want to put him in his natural position because natural is optimal. I.E. he’s become a good tackle but in the long run he’s likely to become a better guard.