Thursday practice report: OT Frye returns to practice

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 1, 2009 at 2:54 pm with 20 Comments »
October 1, 2009 2:54 pm

Here’s the injury report for Thursday.

LB Leroy Hill (groin) and OT Sean Locklear (ankle) are out.

FB Justin Griffith (knee), QB Matt Hasselbeck (rib) and OG Rob Sims (oblique) did not participate in practice.

T Brandon Frye (groin), CB Ken Lucas (groin), CB Josh Wilson (ankle) and LB Lofa Tatupu (hamstring) were limited participants in practice.

And safety Jordan Babineaux (shoulder) was a full participant in practice today.

For Indianapolis, LB Gary Brackett (knee), DT Keyunta Dawson (foot), DE Dwight Freeney (quad), WR Anthony Gonzalez (knee), DB Kelvin Hayden (hamstring), DB Tim Jennings (rest), DB Bob Sanders (knee), RB Chad Simpson (abdomen), T Tony Ugoh (rest) and K Adam Vinatieri (rest) did not participate in practice today.

Walter Jones, Marcus Trufant and Leroy Hill all made appearances at practice today. It was the first time we saw Trufant in a jersey, and Hill even did some light running. So both Trufant and Hill appear on target for a possible return on Nov. 1.

And although he was only a limited participant in practice, getting Frye back on the field was important for the Seahawks in terms of the lack of depth on the offensive line right now with three starters out.

Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp talked a little bit about his team’s game plan against Indianapolis. The Colts are only giving up 15 points a game, which is tied for third overall in the league. With how effective the Colts’ offense has been, Knapp said it will be important for Seattle to be able to score on long drives, so third down conversions will be important in helping to keep the chains moving.

“We’ve got to be very efficient on third downs to keep drives alive,” Knapp said. “Miami was very good at that. They were 15 of 21 on third downs and that kept them in the game.”

Knapp also said with our without Freeney, the Seahawks will have to deal with the Colts pass rush.

“They’ve been able to pressure the quarterback in their first three games without having to blitz much,” Knapp said. “They do rotate eight guys up front – their D-tackles and their D-Ends – so they keep their bodies fresh up front. And because of that, they’re able to generate a pass rush with just their front four and they don’t have to blitz much.”

Notes from practice
  1. NickLicatasucks says:

Great news on Hill and Trufant getting back out there. HOpefully this is not a one day thing. I saw Trufant at the grocery store the other night and you certainly couldn’t tell he had a back issue. Fingers crossed for a direct recovery.

2. Personally I’d rather Owen Schmitt start over Griffith anyway.

3. I’d give anything to steal a win this weekend. I hope for it, but don’t expect it. A “W” would do wonders for the psyche of this team (and all of us). I can’t wait to get most of our starters back (not like I’m the only one).

4. bird_spit says:

RADEoN,

I sure hope Schmitt matures as a FB. So far I have seen nothing to get excited about. In fact I think he had a below par showing in the Bears game.

5. pabuwal says:

A win this weekend would far exceed any of the road efforts the 2003-2007 Seahawks gave us.

6. I was extremely pleased when we drafted Schmitt, but haven’t been impressed up to this point. He seems a weebit slow (I know FBs aren’t fast guys, but he seems to lack quickness in run blocking that many good FBs have).

7. I expect a win this weekend.

8. BTW we should be 2-2 a friend told me that someone from an NFL committee (spelled how?) Said that he was sorry for some bad calls, he said that the Forté fumble was correct you couldn’t see it (as we all knew) and there should’ve been called false start on the bears final score, you know where Devin burned us. Don’t know if this was discussed earlier but man we could’ve been 4-2 or 3-3 at bye now we risk 1-4 or 2-4, that’s a big difference!!! Man that sucks.
    It was on KJR BTW.

9. princeaden says:

If the Hawks can keep the Colts offense off of the field by sustaining some long TD scoring drives and come up with 2 or 3 turnovers by either the Defense or Special teams, they’ve got a reasonable shot at pulling off a victory this weekend. Manning is not going to make many mistakes with the ball. But if we can pop it loose after the catch or on running plays is how I see us winning the turnover battle. That, along with Seneca making good decisions with the football. That last part is where it gets a little dicey for me.

10. JacDG: I firmly believe that we will still be 3-3 at the bye.

11. We all need to pray to the football gods that we do NOT have any more injuries to the offensive line. I have a feeling we’re running out of options to fill holes.

No worse than 3-3 heading into the bye with no further injuries is a near perfect situation, at this point.

13. Audible says:

Hope springs eternal, but I have very, very low expectations for this game, so if it’s not a blow-out loss, I’ll be pleased. The bright spot is that Seneca is good at evading the rush, so injuries on the OL haven’t been as devastating as they would have been if Hass was in there.

Ya know, there is a lot to be optimistic about if we can get most of our starters back.

LoJack has been a big surprise…I’m not hearing anyone calling for his release or trade.

Sims is another surprise….we had all but given up on him.

Julius Jones is getting it done on the ground and doing much better than many of us expected.

We have a promising young receiver in Butler.

Curry is having a few growing pains but shows flashes of brilliance.

Considering half our team is out, we have had very competitive games in our losses. I think we would be 3-0 right now, if it weren’t for so many injuries again this year.

Also, consider that the 69ers are way overrated now in part because they beat our 2nd stringers. I had fun watching Kurt Warner get knocked around the other night…he looked like a deer in the headlights.

In any event, these are the things that I will keep reminding myself this weekend in the likely event that we get our arses handed to us.

14. pabuwal says:

I’d like to see 3-3 at the Bye Week also, but the last 10 games are pretty rough. Not too many easy games on the list (Detroit, TB, Rams).

In the NFL, there are no “easy” games.

16. 3-3 is the right goal; and then with a hopefully healthy team, we’ll see what we’ve got in the last 10, even if it’s not a cakewalk schedule. It may be true, that even healthy, we’re not as good as i/we think – but it would at least be nice to see how we do with our first stringers.

I’d be pretty stunned to see a win on Sunday, but funny things can happen, a special teams TD, a blocked punt, Manning turns an ankle, you never know . . .

17. torinaga says:

Duke,

That is the truth and honestly what has made this year in football so great so far. I am not happy that my Hawks are in the position they are in but as a general fan of football I have been very pleased with how this season has started out. There haven’t been too many easy calls so far this year (unless you are playing the Saints or the Ravens). It’s been good to see all of these really great close games.

18. pabuwal says:

I should have used the term “winnable.” They need an edit function on this.

19. mocarob says:

The Colts barely beat Miami & Jags. How many of you think we’re on par with those two teams? Keep in mind they’re both running teams with poor passing games. The Cards were the only passing team that Indy has faced this year so far. (31-10)

We need to get JJ going and suck the Colts D in and dump it to Forsett alot.
    Quick hits to Housh & Carlson..

But we all know how well our D performs vs Manning will determine the outcome. Bad time to be missing some DB’s.

Indy is 26th in the league in rushing & # 1 in passing.
    ATTACK the Oline. Don’t drop back and try to defend.
    Is Joshy playin? He and Curry need to blitz Manning. Pound him.

Seattle has won 3 of the last 4 with Indy since 1994.

20. Like to see what Reed could do in this game, really.