Bumpus waived; Hawks now down to 75 players

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 1, 2009 at 2:07 pm with 15 Comments »
September 1, 2009 2:07 pm

The Seahawks announced this afternoon that they have waived wide receiver Michael Bumpus to get down to 75 players before today’s league deadline.

The Washington State product originally signed with Seattle as an undrafted rookie free agent on April 27, 2008. He played in four games with one start, catching five balls for 48 yards with one touchdown.

The Seahawks will set their 53-man regular season roster on September 5. I’m headed out to practice and will file a report later afternoon.

Player movement

Well that shoots my theory about no announcement. Good luck Bump.

2. Looking forward to the report.

3. nightwulf says:

Good luck, Mike, at least you got some memories:)

4. HeliJoe86 says:

This comes as no suprise, but I am a little suprised that he didnt get more of a chance last year with all the injuries. He did pretty good the rams game then nothing from there. Maybe he will get another chance with a team not so deep at wr

5. chuck_easton says:

While no suprise since he didn’t appear in any meaningful pre-season play and didn’t have a chance of making the team, I’m going to take the glass ‘half full’ approach and allow myself to think that this might be a good news pre-cursor to a happy Walt and Tru update.

Knock wood….throw salt over shoulder…run away from that black cat…avoid the ladder in the hallway…don’t even think of touching a mirror….

There, did I miss anything?

6. I hope Bumpus stays on the practice squad. Last year I thought he was better then any of the other guys currently battling for #5.

7. seahawklovertoo says:

Good luck Mike.

8. oceanic says:

Taylor always looks good in camp and preseason then tanks when it counts. Obo hasn’t done anything. Kent makes the difficult, almost impossible catch then drops the easy one. From the fifth WR on down, Bumpus impressed me as much as any of the others.

9. Unless Taylor can be a Pro Bowl special teamer, I hope he’s gone. I’m so sick of watching him attempt to play in the regular season.

10. Seahawks2620 says:

Taylor or Obo will make it

11. Bernie42 says:

Even though I’m a Husky, I’ve always liked Mike. I guess this also means one less Seahawk on Twitter.

12. hellomouthbreathers says:

We’re still rehashing conversations about the same bs receivers, why? Taylor has had, what?, three years now, as has Obomanu. Kent, Bumpus, and the rest had an entire season last year to show something and showed, what?, nothing. Branch has had, what?, three seasons and still is terrible. Why are we still dealing with this lot? The stragglers can’t catch, the starters can barely catch, move on.

Yes, we’re talking about receivers 5 and possibly 6, the bottom end of the corps. Well except you are also lumping Branch into that group. Terrible? Injury prone is not the same as terrible. When he’s on the field, he’s a threat with freakish agility and great hands. Obo was on the PS in ’06, played in 13 games in ’07 and spent last year on IR, that’s why we’re dealing with him. Kent has been a project and this has been his year to show necessary progress to justify taking an NFL roster spot. That’s why we’re dealing with him. Bump has been dealt with today, if you will. Taylor is the only one of the bunch you mention, that has seen anything resembling consistent time and has not produced what one would expect. They are “moving on” as we speak.

14. Rams traded Tye Hill to ATL for a future draft pick.

15. Damn. That really sucks! Good luck Bump-City-Bumpus.
    GO COUGS!