Training camp Day 18, night practice: That’s a wrap

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 20, 2009 at 8:24 pm with 18 Comments »
August 21, 2009 8:11 am

The Seahawks had another short one this evening, going just over an hour to complete the final practice of training camp. The team will have as short walkthrough on Friday in preparation for Saturday’s game against Denver.

Players like cornerback Josh Wilson are pleased to be moving out of the team hotel and back home, along the opportunity to hit somebody other than their teammates.

“We’re just ready to play football truthfully,” Wilson said. “We’re tired of hitting each other. We’re ready to hit somebody else. We’re getting ready to go out here and be one game closer to these games counting. I look forward to the season starting more than all this preseason camp stuff.”

The team worked mostly on scout stuff for the Broncos and game situations.

Chris Spencer, Ray Willis and Michael Bennett returned to the evening practice after sitting out this morning. Sitting out the evening practice were Nate Burleson (hamstring), Lawrence Jackson (leg), Aaron Curry (groin), Julius Jones (bruised thigh), Grey Ruegamer (elbow), Walter Jones (knee), and Marcus Trufant (back).

It appears that Curry and Julius Jones will be questionable for Saturday. Curry hasn’t practiced since Tuesday. Jones practiced this morning but sat out of this evening’s practice.

I’ll post a roster analysis sometime tomorrow along with an updated roster to get you ready for Saturday.

Notes from practice
  1. Looks like the mighty Lawrence Jackson is about to make as big of an impact as he made last year.

2. I have a suspicion that if he comes back this may be Walt’s last year. Enjoy it folks, we’ve been privileged.

3. I just saw on addicts that Rob Sims says the OL is going to get mohawks. WTF. Rob Sims? Is the worst lineman I have ever seen becoming a leader of some sort? And WTF is up with me watching the Charger game and thinking Sims isn’t that bad? And what’s up with reporters saying Sims is having a good camp? I don’t get it. It feels like a weird dream. If Sims playing well is a dream… well, then I don’t want to wake up from this one. This is too TwilightZone for me. Either way, I hope that clown plays well. I don’t care, as long as the Hawks win!

4. BobbyK – I have some stuff to post tommorow but here is an observation I have lined up.(The last practice at husky stadium): A run to the right. I was watching Cory Redding do work through binoculars.. He goes heads up against an OL, he drops his hips gets low and looks to explode towards a flashing linemen. Wham! Cory is stood up takes a step back and lands on his back. Immediately the OLinemen is standing over him offering him a hand up which Redding denies. The ferocity had me thinking Ray Willis. Until the hand was extended. I kept my eyes on the scene till the bodies cleared and it was Sims. The boy has some power. (Not sure how the encounter happened considering they line up on opposite sides. Impressive none the less)

5. Sims – wtf? As long as it’s good for the ‘Hawks and all of us… that’s all I care about.

Someone break up Rob Sims! lol.

7. nightwulf says:

Whoever’s using Bobby’s account, what have you done with Bobby? He would NEVER complement Sims…..

8. RichmondHawk says:

Eric,

I read a tid-bit recently that the Seahawks sent representives to a Cal Bears workout. Do you think Seattle is doing a little early scouting on Javid Best based on the possibility that he might declare for the draft?

I know Eric is going to provide a roster analysis today, however in the mean time, Sando has a preliminary look at the practice squad situation.

feed://myespn.go.com/blogs/feed?blog=nfcwest

10. I hope we are not looking at best. We already have Forsett. Correct me if I’m wrong but this next draft will have a lot o big bruising backs throughout the first 4 rounds. We need a big fast athletic back like 6-0 235 to hit the hole and carry the pile to the endzone. Like the Oregon player (Garret blount?). Thats something I hope we get past the first 3 picks. QB, Safety, Oline/Dline

11. nightwulf – If someone deserves to be complimented, I’ll compliment them:) There’s nothing from year 2 or 3 of Sims that warranted being complimented though. Nothing. And if a guy is a Seahawk, I certainly don’t want to hate them as a player. I only want guys who can pull their own weight and take us to the promise land. I have no problem liking Sims and watching him do well. But the past criticism is well deserved b/c he was a major weak link when he played. He showed promise as a R but then was terrible. I know he only played in the opener last year, but he got mauled in that game and I don’t want to hear the excuse that he went against a good player. He consistently got whipped like a rented mule. Here’s to Sims kicking a$$ in ’09!!!

12. Richmond Hawk: There’s probably a lot of teams looking at Best because of the type of runner his is. The Seahawks already have a back from Cal in Forsett, and probably would look at Best as well because the Bears run a zone blocking system similar to the Seahawks.

13. CHawkFan says:

I read this completely wrong the first time:

“Players like cornerback Josh Wilson are pleased to be moving out of the team hotel and back home, along the opportunity to hit somebody other than their teammates”

Careful, Eric. :-)

14. RichmondHawk says:

Thank’s for the info Eric so Best maybe a better fit for the Hawks than I originally thought. Should be intesting how it goes as the draft approaches. Best is suppose to be on a lot of Heisman watch list and is expected to put up huge numbers.

15. nightwulf says:

Bobby,
    I know, I was just yankin’ yer chain:) (looks like I did a good job of it too, lol…all in fun, with respect)

16. BobbyK, all due respect friend, but maybe when you watch Rob Sims lock down the LOG position this year, you’ll finally stop dissing him? Have you watched him in camp this year? With Walter out, he’s the strongest and stoutest player on our offensive line. The one game he played last year was with a torn pec muscle, and he continued to play 3/4 of that game with only one arm. If I tore my pec I’d be on the floor unable to lift a pencil. Since he is out-competing Willis, Wrotto, and Unger to win his starting job, maybe you should realize you are missing something. I am all for proving it on the field, but don’t be surprised if Sims does.

17. Stevo – what part of me complimenting his THIS year don’t you understand?

And before he tore his pec, he was getting dominated in that game last year. He didn’t tear it on the first play. He’s been terrible in the past and has had glowing reports THIS year. If a guy is going good – I’m all for complimenting him. But just b/c he’s good THIS year, it doesn’t mean all of a sudden the film lies and he’s been good in the past. He hasn’t been.

18. Yes, I guess I should have read your whole comment. Didn’t realize you were giving Sims a break for a change. To be fair, he never got to show what he could do in 2008. Before that, he was just young and raw. But even this year he’s still a young player and still developing. It takes years for most offensive lineman to become good players at the NFL level. Robbie Toebeck worked for years as a backup before he eventually started, and he retired an all-pro. Sims is just arriving.