Hawks alternate jerseys: Strike a pose

Post by Eric Williams on April 2, 2009 at 1:14 pm with 48 Comments »
April 2, 2009 1:14 pm

UPDATE: Looks like we got pulled into this elaborate hoax. According to ProFootballTalk.com, the alternate jerseys are not real. Sorry folks, or perhaps some of you are glad these aren’t real. However, I do believe the Seahawks have plans for alternate jerseys in the near future.

Some of you may remember when the Seattle Seahawks introduced the current uniforms they have now in 2002, which included fearless defensive tackle Chad Eaton strutting down the catwalk.

Well, apparently the Seahawks are at it again, as word has leaked out that Seattle will introduce new alternative jerseys that they could possibly wear during the 2009 season.

Paul Lukas of the uniwatchblog.com, a site devoted to the critique of professional sports uniforms, takes aim at the Hawks alternate jerseys and fires away. Here’s an excerpt.

There’s not a whole lot to say here, except that this jersey takes the Seahawks’ infatuation with lime green neon snot to its logical, awful conclusion. The color’s inclusion in their uni set makes no more sense to me now than it did when the set was introduced in 2002. I hate it in their collar stripe, I hate it in their sleeve stripe, I hate it in their pants stripe, plus I hate it in all the team’s ancillary gear, like sideline caps, "fashion" caps, gloves, ski caps, and even adhesive tape and confetti. And now I’ll get to hate it in a truly dreadful alternate jersey.

GreenGlare.com, which first reported on the uniforms, provides an overall history of the Seahawks uniforms here.

The color certainly harkens back to the mid-1980s and early Madonna, or even this boy band.

I’m not sure if that’s the imagery you want to project to an opponent like the Chicago Bears on Sunday.

If you’re looking to find out a little bit more on Aaron Curry, Elizabeth Merrill, a senior writer for ESPN.com, has a good feature on the talented linebacker.

Also, half of Seattle’s staff was reportedly down in Southern California for USC’s pro day, presumably checking out quarterback Mark Sanchez. While I think Sanchez would be a nice fit in Seattle’s offensive system, I don’t think the Seahawks will take him at No. 4. They could be looking to possibly trade down, and might take Sanchez later in the draft if he’s available. But I still believe Seattle believes they can win now, and will take somebody like Curry that can help them win now.

Blog News
  1. I can’t wait to purchase my lime green Moreno jersey in about a month!

2. I’ll pass on this jersey
    Maybe a brighter lime green
    Why not lime green helmets?

3. chuck_easton says:

Just one question. Exactly where to the batteries go? What you mean they don’t light up as well?

That leads to another question I guess. Isn’t the crowd noise at Qwest enough that the team doesn’t need to wear such loud jersey’s as well? Do they want the opponents to leave deaf along with the loss?

4. Anniee882000 says:

Profootballtalk.com is reporting this was an elaborate April Fool’s joke. Can you investigate this further please?

They’re hideous, btw.

5. Sando says they are real. They are real. To be honest, I like them. They remind me of the sounders colors a lot more though.

6. Anniee882000 says:

The green uniform, an update

Posted by Danny O’Neil

I just received an e-mail from the fine fellow who runs http://www.greenglare.com, the site that included a Uniform Slick of the Seahawks alternate green jersey.

Here’s an excerpt of his message:

“No that logo slick was drawn up by some guys at the uniwatchblog, and Paul asked me to be a part of this well planned April Fools joke. I can assure you it’s just a hoax. Thankfully …”
    So it appears the uniform slick is not in fact an alternate jersey, however, the plot kind of thickens at this point because Reebok has made a green jersey that is called a “fashion jersey.” It’s possible that the Seahawks could have a green jersey as their No. 3 alternate jersey.

In summary, the green jerseys posted on http://www.greenglare.com are part of a prank, but the possibility of the Seahawks wearing a green jersey this next season are no joke.

7. troubleman says:

Frankly, I think they’re an improvement over the regular jerseys. But this uniform is a cry for help.

In 2002, Seahawks went from having the best jerseys in the league to the absolute worst. The problem isn’t the green, it’s the dull, desaturated blue. Just seeing the old uni colors makes me excited (like any true Seahawks fan), the new ones so retard any emotional attachment that the fans have grasped what little color there is — the green everybody says they hate — out of desperation.

Seriously: “Seahawks blue” is a color fit for corporate brochures and rental cars, not a sports team uniform — and certainly not the Seahawks!

8. Drillslinger says:

Yes, hideous, but Hass shouldn’t have any problem spotting his WRs 20-30 (hell, 100) yards down field, lol.

9. While the look of our logo got better, our uniforms got UGLY. The blue on blue is one of the worst looking uniforms in the history of the NFL. I was looking forward to the green alternate top too!

10. nightwulf says:

Personally, I always liked the gunmetal blue…the green is hideous, but may blind opponents…I guess…

11. chuck_easton says:

I recall when the uniforms originally came out in 2002 the idea was to wear the blue pants with the white jerseys and the white pants with the blue jerseys.

At some point during the 2002 pre-season the team decided to go monchrome all white on the road all blue at home.

If things went back to what was originally planned they might not look as bad.

12. troubleman says:

chuck_easton: They wouldn’t look *as* bad, no, but the color is just a bad color for a sports team, period. I can understand, say, the TB Bucs doing a full reset of their colors, from the original orange and red, but the Seahawks already had great colors, and changed them to bad ones for no real reason that I can discern.

13. I’m no designer, but that green and blue looked UGLY AS BUTT (yeah you know what i want to say) the limegreen is an awsome color though, the kind i want on my Lambo!

14. I don’t think our uniform is THAT ugly, a bit boring perhaps, but the logo before damn that was nasty

15. tp10super10 says:

Please, someone correct me if I’m wrong on this one, but if I remember right…

The Seahawks wore the blue jersey with the white pants against Jacksonville in the first game of the SB 2005 season, and got wiped. J’ville made the Hawks wear the blue jerseys because of the heat. After that, I think I remember Holmgren talking about how they would never wear the mix and match uni’s ever again.

troubleman is right, they were mixing and matching (at least on the road) up until then. With that said, as much as I love the old school jerseys, I am one of the few that loves our uniforms and the colors. Even though I miss the grey helmet!

Are the green jerseys the joke or the real alternate? Because they are f-ing hideous. I hate the idea of “alternate” uniforms to start with. If they do anything other than throwbacks it will be a shameful.

They allowed the players to vote on the monochrome uni scheme. I have gotten used to them now. I actually think the white on blue and blue on white are much worse. Those green jerseys are just awful. In case I wasn’t clear before.

17. I actually used to hate the lime green that accented the new jerseys. However, when
    Branch came over and started wearing the lime green receiver gloves, and Peterson busted
    out the lime green accented Nike cleats, I fell in love. No other team in the league has such
    an extreme color scheme. But, I don’t think I’m much of a fan of the alternate jerseys
    portrayed above.

Nitha at Seahawks public relations (I just got off the phone with them) and she could not (would not) confirm of deny these uniforms. But she did tell me that she has “not heard anything through the grapevine about this.” I can only pray she is right about that.

19. troubleman says:

JacDG: I think “a bit boring” + “not the traditional colors” = “meh.”

Back in 2002, my friends were saying, “They’ll look better if they win.” Okay, they still look “meh.”

Cutler to Bears. Thank god, you people can stop now.

21. Damn Josh McDaniels stupid of you, as well as you Cutler

22. “Hass shouldn’t have any problem spotting his WRs 20-30 (hell, 100) yards down
    field, lol.”

23. ProblemSolved says:

“Uhh, I called the Seahawks and got an update from an inside sorce…”

What a lady. Ultimate DB.

24. Our uniforms are the worst in the league and need a total revamp, not just a green alternate jersey. That does not solve the problem. Seahawk blue is a terrible color and should not be the main color of anything let alone our jersey.

25. Eric, why do you belleve we are launching a 3rd uniform?

26. interesting note from the espn article regarding cutler:

“To complete the trade, the Broncos had to give back a fifth-round pick in 2009. That pick was acquired by the Broncos from the Seattle Seahawks in a trade for wide receiver Keary Colbert.”

27. nighthawk2 says:

Just ditch the butt ugly all blue and all white. It was supposed to be, when the color change was made, white pants with the blue jersey’s at home, and blue pants with the white jersey’s on the road. Somehow the people with a total lack of taste carried the day and that got reversed. The all blue/all white suck major ass. Change it.

28. nighthawk2 says:

“Yeah, let’s hang a lime green target on Hass’s shoulders for opposing Defensive Ends.”

So you’re saying they don’t already know where the guy is? Right.

29. nevermind – that pick got shipped to chicago, too.

30. nighthawk2 says:

“we get our fifth rounder back? how did that happen? doesn’t that give us eleven picks?”

No, that means the Bears get the 5th round pick (140th overall) that we traded Denver last year for Keary Colbert, whom we released during the season (way to go Ruskell, you freaking moron) because it’s a higher pick than Denver’s own 5th roundpick (149th overall). So ultimately, Denver traded Keary Colbert in part for Jay Cutler. What a deal Timmay!

31. I’m pretty sure that part of a Bears-Broncos trade would not involve us getting a pick out of it.

32. They already know where he is which is already a problem…so
    yeah, might as well hang a neon sign on him with flashing lights
    that says HIT ME I’m Irish.

33. Yes. Blue on blue is worse than sucking ass. Although I have never sucked ass, I can’t imagine it would be very fun.

The white pants with blue jerseys are bush league, at best. God, I miss the old ones.

35. I am so glad that was just an April Fools prank. Gawd, that neon-puke green is gawd awful ugly.

Seahawks wear Gun Metal Blue, and our All-Gun-Metal-Blue uniforms RULE.

36. Leroyhill says:

The current blue color MUST GO! But no green please!

The dark blue color that we have now is awfully depressing. That color should be banned in Seattle around late fall and winter time when it is dreary, cloudy, and wet. Watching the Hawks in that uniform on TV makes me feel very sleepy sometimes even when they are winning. They should go back to the previous color or change to something that is more cheerful and, at the same time,does not provoke the bulls to chase me down if I happen to go to Spain.

37. RichmondHawk says:

That is the ugliest jersey I seen in my life.

I always wonder what’s up with these nfl marketing types. Hire somebody who designs clothes people buy to pick the color and scheme for the uni. You have to have a real bad fashion sense to think that color green looks good with grayish-blue.

38. luckman15 says:

F*** NEW ALTERNATE JERSEYS. They look AWFUL. God damn I hope they don’t wear these.

39. luckman15 says:

Or any other jerseys. They have it right. DO NOT F IT UP

40. @tp10super10, yes, they wore blue jerseys with white pants for that game in Jax.

Bring back silver helmets and silver pants imo. Lime green is ok (but certainly not required) as an accent. It should never never be the primary color on anything unless you are in an 80s ski movie.

41. monmornQB says:

At least Hassleback or Senaca since we all know matt will be hurt by week 3, will be able to find their receivers anywhere on the field.

42. toughguy5128 says:

Ugly!! Next thing you know they’ll make pink jersey’s. ….oh, wait they have. I personally laugh at all the pink jersey’s out there and I WILL do the same with the green one’s!
    Like Notorious B.I.G. said, It’s all about the Benjamins baby.
    Don’t be suckers Hawks fans!!

43. ChrisHolmes says:

Glad it’s a hoax. I like our jerseys just the way they are. The monochrome dark blue with the lime pinstripe accents is, to me, the best looking uniform in the NFL.

44. Thank you Chris, I totally agree with you. Everybody seems to be hating on our current
    uni’s. As I stated before, I disliked them when they came out, but now I love them.

45. halnelson says:

I like the uniforms, especially all white. White with blue and blue with white sucks. How about silver helmet and pants with the current jerseys? Almost retro. Didn’t the Hawks try to get 2 different helmets when they changed the unis?

Yes, they petitioned the NFL to have a home and away helmet. Color of the Away helmet? Green.

47. navyhawk51 says:

this guy must be a NYG fan and likes their all red uniforms.

48. navyhawk51 says:

toughguy5128…. sigh….

rebook sells pink uni’s for every team for the ladies and young girls.