Morning links: Fallout from the Peterson trade

Post by Eric Williams on March 15, 2009 at 9:50 am with 91 Comments »
March 15, 2009 9:50 am

A lot can happen when you’re traveling in the hinterlands of Northwest Canada. Thanks to Dave Boling and Ryan Divish for picking up the slack while I was on my sojourn to pick up our family’s new dog. It’s a black Russian terrier for those who have been asking (my wife’s selection, not mine), and her name is Bahee (again, not our choice of name, but we’re keeping it). She’s a good looking dog, and hopefully she’ll make herself at home here in Tacoma.

Seattle’s trade with Detroit obviously changes the personnel landscape of the Seahawks. Seattle gets $4.6 million in cap relief by trading a player they believe is on the downside of his productivity in Peterson, and get a serviceable role player back in defensive tackle Cory Redding, along with the fifth round draft choice they lost to the Denver Broncos in the Keary Colbert trade. The fifth rounder is an even better selection than their own pick would have been, because Detroit picks first in every round.

Peterson’s salary was due to jump from $3.5 million in 2008 to $6.5 million in 2009, and Seattle apparently balked at paying that much for Peterson’s services, who turns 31 in July and still plays at a reasonably high level. However, Peterson’s strength is rushing the passer, and the Seahawks apparently want Hill to fill that role next season.

The Seahawks fill out the linebackers corps by re-signing D.D. Lewis and Lance Laury. They can now use Hill as more of a rusher from the linebacker position and find a fill in on the weak side to replace Hill.

All of you wishing for Aaron Curry to fall to the No. 4 position for Seattle, I wouldn’t hold your breath. I think Curry’s too talented of a player to fall to four. Several draft experts have him rated as the best player overall in the draft, and I don’t see him getting past Kansas City at No. 3. However, weirder things have happened, and anything is possible.

The Seahawks have a private workout scheduled with Curry on March 26.

Seattle now has six linebackers signed in Hill, Lofa Tatupu, Lewis, Laury, Will Herring and David Hawthorne. They likely need another starting-caliber backer, and Derrick Brooks is available if they can get him for a good price. If not, Lewis or Herring could capably fill in at that starting role. Both did so last year without much drop off when Hill and Tatupu were hurt.

Seattle Seahawks

The TNT’s Dave Boling provides details on the trade here.

And the TNT’s John McGrath says Seattle president and general manager Tim Ruskell could find a replacement for Peterson later in the draft, similar to the diamonds in the rough he found in Tatupu and Hill.

Steve Wyche of NFL.com discusses the possible draft implications of Seattle’s trade with Detroit.

The Peterson trade from Detroit’s perspective.

Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry says he’s excited about Detroit’s trade for Peterson.

Fox Sports Alex Marvez reports that Redding restructured his seven-year, $49 million contract to make the deal work.

Seattle cornerback Josh Wilson says he’s a changed man after his trip to Iraq.

Leonard Weaver’s agent, Harold Lewis, says four or five teams remain interested in Weaver’s services.

Seattle offensive lineman Rob Sims talks to KJR’s Ian Furness in this audio link.

The Denver Broncos re-sign ex-Seahawks tight end Jeb Putzier.

San Francisco 49ers

Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat reports that offensive tackle Jonas Jennings, wide receiver Isaac Bruce and safety Mark Roman will not attend the team’s upcoming minicamp. The 49ers have given Roman permission to seek a trade.

Kevin Lynch of Niners Insider reports that Torry Holt may be coming in to visit San Francisco.

Arizona Cardinals

Cleveland free agent running back Jason Wright visits the Cardinals, reports Darren Urban of azcardinals.com.

St. Louis Rams

Bill Coats of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reviews the Rams secondary situation after making some moves in free agency.

Bryan Burwell of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says receiver Torry Holt will be missed.

1. hawkcrazy says:

Hey Eric. Nice to have you back. Congrats on the dog.

Are the Hawks planning to bring in any more WRs or are they sticking with what they have?

Who do you think they’ll take with their first pick in lieu of all of these moves?

Any sleepers in the draft you think we should keep our eye on?

Thanks.

2. Great links, Eric. Thank you.

I don’t get what Detroit was thinking in paying big $ for JP when they could have simply drafted Curry. Oh well, their loss is our gain. I’m so glad Ruskell has addressed our two biggest needs – DT and WR – even before the draft. We needed another starting DT more than we needed JP.

I would think we will take Curry if he happens to slide to #4, but more realistic would be one of the OTs falling to us. E. Monroe our future LOT? On the other hand, some scouts seem to think Brian Orakpo could play LB instead of DE, and that would be an interesting option. I wonder how the team’s look at their draft prospects may have played into this decision.

3. Eric Williams says:

Hawkscrazy: Thanks. I think Seattle is pretty solid at receiver right now. They could use another speed receiver to stretch the field, so I would expect them to draft a fast guy in April.

As far as the No. 4 pick, I’m sure they would like to have Aaron Curry, but I don’t expect him to be around at No. 4. I think it will come down to receiver Michael Crabtree or offensive tackle Eugene Monroe, and it just depends on who the team rates as more of an impact player for the franchise.

As far as sleepers, I like the running back from Liberty, Rashad Jennings. He’s a powerful back with good speed who would fit in nicely with the zone blocking system. He’s also a smart guy with good character. Jennings would be a nice pickup in the second or third round. I also like Ohio State receiver Brian Robiske as a second-round pickup who could come in and play right away.

4. hawkcrazy says:

Right on, thanks Eric.

I like those same players as well. Especially what I keep hearing on R. Jennings. He’d be a great second round RB.

5. Great post, Eric.. Worth the wait..

6. As usual great stuff Eric, and another congrats on the dog! Thanks for the links it adds so much to the story, especially to be able to see the Detroit side of things! Great work!!

7. Sitting with soldiers in Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, to watch Pittsburgh and Arizona play in the Super Bowl at 2:30 a.m. local time on Feb. 2, Wilson dispensed tips on how to defend wide receiver Fitzgerald of the NFC West-rival Cardinals.

I could barely contain the laughter..

8. Thanks for the post Eric, and congrats of the dog. Does he have a Candian acent? “Bark..ehy”?

9. “I don’t get what Detroit was thinking in paying big $ for JP when they could have simply drafted Curry. ”

Same reason we signed Housh – frees them up to use their high pick on another need (QB or OL). Among other things, Peterson was very durable for us – didn’t miss a game the past three years.

10. Oh god, BobbyK is going to have a heart attack listening to the Rob Sims interview.. Right around the time Sims starts talking about how great Mike Wahle and Chris Spencer are, and how much he learned from watching them last year, Bobby’s head will explode..

I do like that he is “pacing” in anticipation of the season. He seems eager to get better, and had great things to say about Solari and how much they’ve been working together. Maybe there’s hope. No? Okay, you’re right..

I love that he is completely ignorant to how bad he is:

“Solari is a great coach. There was hardly a dropoff when I went out last year.”

11. Thanks Eric, great stuff!

I’ve been meaning to ask your opinion on Brian Russell. Is he as bad as most hawks message boards would suggest, or is it as the front office suggests, that he was simply part of a defense that underperformed as a whole?

Do you see safety as a position that the hawks might look at in the draft? If so, any specific players?

Thanks!

12. I love how people who have never been at a practice, never watched game tapes, Don’t have a clue about what the coaches have told the players, what they expect out of them, etc. KNOW how much better some players, who aren’t in the starting line up, are than others.

There is a reason that all of those players start and why they start over other players!!

13. Really hope we give David Hawthorne a chance love that kid! Also i’m in love Robiskie (you know what i meen) but i think we are loaded at WR so if we get rid of the most, Robiskie in 2nd and Brandon Gibson in the 4th or 5th would be very nice!

14. redneckhawk says:

Eric– that explains the need to go to Canada to pick her up. How hard is it to bring a dog in from another country?

Do you know of any other workouts planned besides Curry?

15. “Do you know of any other workouts planned besides Curry? ”

I would really like to know that as well Eric

16. hawks4life says:

i was just thinking what if red bryant emerges as the best player to play next to mebane,we would have the highest paid backup dt’s in the leage,im thinking they are gonna use redding as insurane as a de if kerney or jackson dont pan out

17. seafanalways says:

hawks4life, you have no idea what redding makes…HE RESTRUCTURED HIS CONTRACT

18. I agree with hawks4life. Redding’s best year was at defensive end, and it makes sense to play him at that position, especially if Bryant has the potential to make an impact. Our ends are undersized and I like the idea of having 290lbs helping to stop the run.

19. hawks4life says:

hawks4life, you have no idea what redding makes…HE RESTRUCTURED HIS CONTRACT jeez…..somebody on the rag today?

20. HOLY CRAP!

I go to Sioux Falls, SD yesterday for our annual fantasy baseball draft and right before the draft — I hear about this trade. And then the buddy I stayed with last night, after many beers, has his computer getting repaired… so I have no internet… and I finally get back home today in MN and there’s over 200 different blog entries… Isn’t a lame day in the middle of March supposed off-season in the NFL? Wow. Gone for 24 hours and frickin’ all hell breaks loose.

I like the move(s).

JP is a great talent who can’t play fundamental football like wrapping up a tackler and I won’t miss that. He’s good, yes, but he’s not a legit Pro Bowler anymore. Remember — just because he played in the game, he didn’t deserve to… he was only a replacement after the deserving ones who were voted in didn’t play for whatever reasons.

I like the Redding pick-up (and the 5th round pick). Definitely helps solidify our line.

While I haven’t always said good things about Ruskell — I like this move and think he did a good job at getting value for a guy who we really didn’t want to pay that much to.

I don’t understand the move from a Detroit perspective? They are idiots and seem like they always will be idiots.

They have no legit reason to think they are going to be 12-4 in ’09. The fact is that they are in rebuilding mode (as it never ends). So what did they do? They traded a 5th round pick which will now not be used on a young player to help for the future. They trade for an older (yet more talented) player who will be done by the time their “rebuilding” effort is really to take effect. Same old Lions. And best part is that Ruskell took advantage of them — at least IMO.

I really like keeping DD Lewis around for another year. He’s far less talented than JP but he can actually wrap up and tackle.

I still hope to see Derrick Brooks in Seattle!!!

21. seafanalways says:

that being said, redding was NOT a good DE, his best year was in 2006, the year he moved to DT. Redding is being brought in here to be a 3-tech and possibly play some DE just to rotate, but his main thing will be DT

22. hawks4life says:

here is a qb i think seattle should look at in the later rounds,he reminds me alot of hasselbeck,the more i watch of this guy the more i like him http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1718 tell me what you guys think

23. hawks4life says:

here is a qb im thinking the hawks should look at in the later rounds,he really reminds me of hasselbeck tell me what you guys think http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1718

24. hawks4life says:

lol sorry for the double post i didnt think i sent the other one

25. sny… in that interview, did anyone ask Sims what it’s like to be the worst starting player in the NFL?

26. RichmondHawk says:

Liberty, are you serious?

You will lack credibility if keeping saying Ruskell’s going draft a kid from a small school. I don’t care if he’s demarcus ware, he just doesn’t do that. Players and schools for 30 picks or so he’s made so far:

maryland
    alabama
    oregon state
    notre dame
    texas a&m
    west virginia
    san diego state

The smallest school being San Diego State, LS, and Wake Forrest.

He started to answer but was interrupted by Brian Russell. I wondered where you were yesterday.

28. Great to see someone who like Reilly he is the exact guy i wanted that 5rh round pick for!

29. Yeah… it sucked hearing that major news just a couple of minutes before our draft started… I kept wondering about it all night, even though I had to focus on the baseball season…

30. Eric Williams says:

Kerney: I think Brian Russell is kind of the poster boy for Seattle’s defense last season. I don’t think he’s awful. He’s usually where he’s supposed to be on the field, but you can’t overlook the fact that he missed on a lot of plays last season. Some of his struggles have to do with the front seven. When you don’t get a pass rush and your linebackers tackle poorly, you’re safeties end up on an island a lot, and that’s what happened with Russell. If the front seven plays better in ’09, Russell will have a better season, but Seattle probably will bring in a young safety to push him.

Redneckhawk: No problems crossing the border. Just had to make sure our new dog had all of her shots.

I’m not sure who else is scheduled to come in for a visit, but I’ll do some poking around and come up with a list.

31. heyyou_66 says:

Love this move! Now maybe we can get somebody that can finish offa tackle!

32. snydro22 says:

I think an elite safety would put this defense over the top.. Landry, Polamalu, Reed.. A game-changer at safety is what we need. But it figures, the one year there is no sure-fire top-notch safety in the draft is the year we have the fourth overall pick..

In the right system, Ruskell is serviceable, but he isn’t a game-changer.

Could Chung be that guy? Louis Delmas? Smith? Moore?

Would you rather draft a SS and move Deon Grant to FS? Or draft a FS and keep Grant at SS? Personally, with the money Grant is making, I think we need to draft the best SS available and move him back to his natural position of FS. However, that means sacrificing on draft day, depending on where we have the most value placed on safeties. I wouldn’t be thrilled about drafting a lesser talent at SS when we have a FS higher on the board. We’ll have to wait and see.

April can’t come soon enough ;)

33. snydro22 says:

Whoops, that should RUSSEL, not Ruskell, lol…

34. heyyou_66 says:

Sean Smith is a Beast! I would be happy if we could get him in the second round! Would love to see Smith/Monroe in the first, Sean Smith in the second, and Robiskie in the third…………

35. Seahawks Addicts had a really good read last week about Brian Russell. Any Seahawk fan should check it out. They don’t say Russell is good, they just point out that he was not put in position to succeed last year. He had to cover too much ground in the secondary and that’s not a good thing because our front seven sucked and he’s slow. That’s not a good combination for a Safety to have a good year. Am I saying Russell is good? Hell no! But I don’t think he’s Rob Sims bad either. I agree with what Eric just wrote about him being a lightning rod for last seasons failures on defense. It had more to do with the inept DL play of getting pressure on the QB and Marshall for being a incompetent DC. With that being said, I hope we draft a Safety in the 2nd/3rd/4th and I hope he starts over Russell.

36. RichmondHawk says:

“RichmondHawk: Rashad Jennings started as a true freshman at Pittsburgh before transferring to Liberty to be close to his father, who has diabetes. He’s a legit athlete, not just some running back who put up big numbers at a small school.”

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the response. I believe you when you say he’s a legit athlete but the fact is Ruskell never has drafted from a small school. I guess his reasoning is you can’t gauge the quality of a player because he’s not playing against talented oppenents. Factor in being the starter at miami(fla) is a lot harder than being the starter on Liberty.

I stick by my words and you won’t see a player picked from a small school again this year by Ruskell. It paints the FO office in a corner but its a lot harder to get the evaluation right on small school players.

Clare Farnsworth outlined what I am talking about last year:

“Players from big schools. It’s much easier to get a read on a prospect when you’re watching him play against top-level competition.

That doesn’t mean the Seahawks won’t take a player from a small school.

“It is a little bit of a projection,” Webster said. “But we want our scouts to concentrate on the player and the traits that we look for at the position. If they have that, then we try not to take the school under so much consideration.”

Still, each of those previously cited eight selections went to a big school — cornerback Josh Wilson (Maryland) and Mebane (Cal) last year; Jennings (Miami) and Tapp (Virginia Tech) in 2006; and center Chris Spencer (Mississippi), middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu (USC), Greene (Georgia) and Hill (Clemson) in 2005.

Still to this day two of the smallest schools ruskell has picked from is San Diego State and Wake Forrest. Can you really call Wake Forrest small?

37. seafanalways says:

wow snydro and I actaully agree on something…one SS away from puttin the D over the top, that is the main area of weakness. russell is serviceable and I dont think hes as bad as people make him out to be, but it can be upgraded. grant needs to be moved back to FS too

38. cutler has asked denver to trade him.

39. Seafanalways
    “our ends are NOT undersized, they are normal size for DEs in a 4-3…I dont understand why people keep saying that we have undersized DEs. They would def be undersized in a 3-4, but not a 4-3. ”

They certainly aren’t any Reggie Whites, Bruce Smiths, or any DE that has played for the Giants in the last 4 years. People say they are undersized because they are. They certainly play that way. Some athletes can be shorter, ligher etc, but overcompensate with whatever weakness by being faster and more explosive, stronger etc. ; aside from Kerney we have no one like that. If you have any real questions about it get ahold of the Green Bay playoff game or the game against the Giants last year and tell me how they looked

40. seafanalways says:

Justin tuck – 6’5 274
    osi umen – 6’3 261
    Jerad allen – 6’6 270
    John abraham – 6’4 263
    dwight freeney – 6’1 268
    peppers – 6’7 283 (the biggest one)

OUR DEs
    PK – 6’5 272
    Tapp – 6’1 270
    LoJack – 6’4 271

hmmm…not really undersized are they? for your comment about reggie white and bruce smith…guess what, there are NO reggie whites or bruce smiths in the NFL today! if thats your standard then you will forever be disappointed

41. Well anyone who was following the draft when Tapp was picked knows he’s more like 5′ 11″. But the point I was trying to make is undersized or not our DE’s don’t play in a fashion that doesn’t make you look at the measurables and as I stated earlier Kerney plays great when healthy.

Justin Tuck is tall, lean and extremely powerful, that’s why he could play inside or outside. We can argue all day about the measurables of our DE’s, but they didn’t produce that’s just the facts.

42. Wasn’t Derrick Brooks drafted the same year as Galloway? This will be his 14th year? I guess Tobeck played that long, but almost 900 tackles – that’s alotta hits for a LB, it’s different than snapping the ball and grabbing the DT.

43. Rang listed Tapp at 6-2/252. I think he’s gained some weight (hopefully muscle mass since then) but it’s tough to gain height, unless nobody noticed he was wearing his cleats at the weigh-in.

44. Well I can tell you I was listening to sports radio the day he was drafted and it was said the reason he wasn’t drafted in the first round is that he was 5′ 11″. They always overexagerate measurables in sports.

45. nighthawk2 says:

“Oh god, BobbyK is going to have a heart attack listening to the Rob Sims interview.. Right around the time Sims starts talking about how great Mike Wahle and Chris Spencer are, and how much he learned from watching them last year, Bobby’s head will explode..

I love that he is completely ignorant to how bad he is:

Um, is that a testament to Solari’s coaching, or the fact that you just aren’t that good to begin with? Hmm..”

See Snydro, we can find common ground. I agree with everything you said. Sims sucks, and he’s clueless. And if we could get Delmas or Rashad Johnson in the 2nd round (as much as I want our Day 1 draft to be Monroe and Unger) I think I’d wet myself. Or Paul Kruger; the idea of having an actual pass rushing end who doesn’t just come in on 3rd down or have two shoulder surgeries in the last 3 years is, well, intoxicating.

“love how people who have never been at a practice, never watched game tapes, Don’t have a clue about what the coaches have told the players, what they expect out of them, etc. KNOW how much better some players, who aren’t in the starting line up, are than others.

All I gotta say is that I agree we need an upgrade at DB and OL. but get off your high horses!”

Is that supposed to be some reference to Sims? Try watching him play some time, and you can see for yourself that he sucks. He sucks more than anything has ever sucked before. So does Spencer. And dude, you’re talking about someone on a high horse after a post like that?

Rashad Jennings and Brian Robiskie are not sleepers, everyone knows about them. Some sleepers worth watching are Deion Butler from Penn State, Darcel McBath from Texas Tech, Jerrod Gilbert from San Jose State (although he’s fairly well known on You Tube from the jumping out of the pool video), Alex McGee from Purdue, David Bruton from Notre Dame, Gerold Cadogan from Penn State, Ramses Barden from Cal Poly-SLO, Sherrod Martin from Troy, Tyrone McKenzie from South Florida. I wouldn’t consider Jamon Meredith from South Carolina a sleeper but he’s not a household name either. If both J. Smith and Monroe are gone in the 1st three picks or Ruskell is stupid enough to pass on Monroe for Crabapple or Curry (I would want Oher in that event), then we should take Meredith in the 2nd round.

Richmondhawk is unfortuneately right about Ruskell’s irrational and unhealthy bias against small schools. Weaver is from Carson-Newman but went undrafted, even though he beat out Ruskell’s 6th round pick from Iowa. And now the refuses to pay more than peanuts for him in free agency. This means we can forget about Ramses Barden, Rashad Jennings, Sherrod Martin and probably Tyrone McKenzie.

“if you’re timmay!, do you pull the trigger on this one, and ensure the stability of the quarterback position for the next several years?”.

NO. The last thing we need is a whiny, immature crybaby as the leader of the offense. Cutler will get sent to Detroit, or the Jets, or San Francisco, or Minnesota or Carolina or even Cleveland (for Brady Quinn).

46. nighthawk2 says:

BTW, this link is wrong, it’s the same link as the one above it, to the Detroit Free Press article on Curry being ecstatic now about being drafted by Detroit.

“According to ProFootballTalk, the Detroit trade with Seattle reeks of a bad move made by the same old Lions.”

47. That Sims comment was funny about how the line didn’t get worse when he got hurt and it’s because of Solari being such a good coach. LMAO

If you replace a decent player (when healthy – Womack) with a horsesh!t player… it’s natural to NOT get worse… OMG — not only is he one of the worst players in the history of life, he’s so dang clueless as to how bad he sucks… doesn’t he ever watch film? If so, he must not be able to understand that it’s bad when the guy he is blocking is getting all kinds of penetration? LOL… poor guy hasn’t a clue… LOL!!!

48. CeaYoung says:

A little something from SeahawkAddicts.com on trading down with the Eagles. BobbyK, you’ll like this:

_____________________________________________________________________

You’ve already heard me harping about this one. I think the Eagles are in a great position to trade up because they already have two First Round picks — #21 and #28. The Eagles need a load of help on the O-Line, and one of those big left tackles might be just what the doctor ordered. They signed Stacy Andrews to shore up one side of the line, but getting that line younger and stronger is not going to hurt anyone. They’ve done a decent job of filling their needs via Free Agency, but left tackle is one of those positions that teams often like to fill in a long-term way if they can.

Their #21 pick is worth 800 pts and their #28 pick is 660 (1,460 total), then their second round pick is worth 380 (1,840 total). The Hawks, again, have 1,800 pts of value in the #4 pick, 40 fewer than the Eagles two rounds. I wouldn’t be shocked if this difference was overlooked, but we could shuffle around the later rounds too. [UPDATED: Fixed the values, thanks Bill, I mixed up my columns with the 49ers]

This is a dream scenario from my standpoint. The Hawks would not be tied up in a top-5 pick (and the Eagles would be spending a little bit more on one player than they were already going to spend on two lesser-needed players). I think the Eagles are in a spot where they believe they are one or two missing pieces away from competing for the NFC Championship. This would give the Hawks a shot at drafting a Knowshon Moreno/Chris Wells/LeSean McCoy and the top center — or one of the top three CBs, the top safety, etc etc. There is going to be a ton of value in the middle of the first, and our needs don’t really mesh too well with the talent at the top of the draft.

_____________________________________________________________________

Knowshon anyone? Wells ran a 4.3 something at his pro day… I’ll take either.

49. nighthawk2 says:

Many “draftgurus” will say 4 is too high for Moreno. I don’t think so. If J. Smith and Monroe are gone, I could certainly live with Moren at 4 if we could get a left tackle at 37.

50. chuck_easton says:

CeaYoung,

First off, the Eagles will pay less in salary for their two #1 draftees than we (or they) will have to pay to the one #4 overall draftee. Why pay more to one player when you can get two players for less money?

Second, Philly doesn’t like to pay top dollar.

This is indeed a dream scenario and I just don’t see philly going for it when they can get another WR at 21.

51. nighthawk2 says:

This guy says he thinks the Lions will take a left tackle. A lot of the respondants don’t seem to value his view on that. As for Backus moving to gaurd, yeah, he will, because in the last 3 seasons he’s given up 9.5, 15.5 and 9.5 sacks. That will get you moved from left tackle to guard.

bq.They signed Stacy Andrews to shore up one side of the line, but getting that line younger and stronger is not going to hurt anyone. They’ve done a decent job of filling their needs via Free Agency, but left tackle is one of those positions that teams often like to fill in a long-term way if they can.

… like the Seahawks, who have an impending need, if not already, at left tackle. That’s the problem I have with the values assigned to the draft spots. It does nothing to address the teams involved. If the ‘Hawks need, at say running back, was more pressing that that of the o line, then this discussion would have merit. (And please stop before you think I’m praising their running back situation.) But their line is in need of younger and stronger bodies. Where have we just read about the benifits of that?

53. nighthawk2 says:

On the Leonard Weaver front, this is from the Philly Enquirer this morning:

“There were indications yesterday that free-agent fullback Leonard Weaver will be playing somewhere other than Philadelphia next season.

A league source said that the Eagles had not had contact with Weaver’s agent, Harold Lewis, for several days. The source indicated that Weaver might re-sign with the Seattle Seahawks or go to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.”

54. hawkcrazy says:

Finally, a list I’d be happy with.

Any one of the top 5 will do…thanks.

Any one else selected w/o trading down first would be shocking.

I hate that we still have one month to go. I nominate that the draft gets moved up to the first weekend after the NCAA Tourney…not at the end of April.

55. I nominate that the Seahawks get two extra second round picks too (and that Moreno is taken out of the draft and just given to the ‘Hawks for fun).

56. i don’t know enough to make an educated judgment, but i’ve always felt slightly disappointed with JP. he was a tremendous athlete, but in the end, can you really say he was a game-changer? i dunno… he had tremendous speed, but this “speed defense” thing obviously failed miserably. as was written on fieldgulls, you could argue for having 3 elite (or at least well above average) LB’s if the end result was good, but seeing as we’ve had this corps for a few years now and the defense has only gotten worse… seems like a smart move to save some bucks and redistribute resources.

whatcha think nighthawk? :p

57. also, what’s the current take on Hawthorne? he seemed to show flashes of promise in the preseason.

58. OKhawkfan says:

hey guys how about this, trade down with denver get Cutler and number 12 pick? gives us QB of future and a high pick for LT,RB,CB,SS

59. denver want Raji bad. look at the trade chart… hawks # 4 (1800) denver… #12 (1200) 2rd(460) 3rd(210). 1800-1870 = -70 ???? something to look at.

60. I’d love to trade into the Denver slot, grab Moreno (or Everrett Brown), and then have an extra 2nd rounder out of the deal. I don’t care if we’d be getting less points in that scenario.

61. How about we offer a 5th for cutler!! Let him sit for a year!!! get his attitude in check.

He may or may not be getting much attention from anyone. He is such a cry baby

62. Rob Rang’s mock draft has now been updated to show Stafford, Smith, and Monroe going 1-2-3, and Curry falling to the Seahawks. Interesting…

This isn’t dungeons and dragons, enough with the “values” and “point totals”. Approaching a trade from that angle rather than from the perspective of the player(s) potentially involved and how that impacts your team is nothing but remedial arithmetic. (I know, I know lighten up, have some fun…)

64. Trade for Cutler immediately. Give up a second rounder or flip flop No. 1 picks. Get this guy. He is good. Matt Hasselbeck is on the downside of his career with a bad back.

Who has a better chance of getting the Hawks to the Super Bowl?

65. chuck_easton says:

stewu2,

I just love when people say “trade for this guy immediately”, or “we HAVE to go get this guy”, or “we should trade down with our #4 to team X…”.

It is all well and good. Try saying the team should “make every effort to try and work out a trade”. I don’t know where people just think that you pick up the phone and the other party on the other end just automatically gives you what you want for the price your willing to pay.

So when the team doesn’t get Cutler that means that they are bad? Or maybe Denver didn’t want to do the deal?

To all these people that think trading and negotiating is so easy here’s a little exercise for you. Call your local BMW dealer and tell them you want car brand X, you want it now, and here’s what your going to give them for it. See how well that works and get back to us.

66. Actually, I think Matt gives us a better chance in ’09. Cutler is clearly the better player for the next decade, but I think we’re selling Matt short on basing him on last years numbers. No elite QB in the NFL would have done well without any WRs to throw to (and a bad OL). Matt’s back, on the other hand… I’m going to keep my fingers crossed!

67. The issue with a Cutler trade is that he’s not a guy who is going to be ready to sit behind anyone (nor should he) – so are we ready to basically release Hass this off-season to make this move make sense?

It would be a bold move, that’s for certain.

68. When I look at the Peterson trade as really basically a salary cap move – then it makes much more sense. And I think, mostly, that’s what it is.

Some guys on this board have called Redding a stud lineman, and then I read Lions fans on other forums saying he’s a zero (his stats the past couple years don’t exactly scream stud player) – so as a one-for-one proposition it’s hard to stomach – but his cap number was a big one – and LB, kind of like RB, does seem to be a spot where young, hungry players can jump in effectively right away.

But to the post that says he wasn’t an impact player – I don’t know – bit of a down year last year (along w/the entire team) – but in the previous two, he had 19.5 sacks and 8 forced fumbles. Not many LB’s in the league can match that.

69. Although we lost a more talented player, I think the trade makes us better (as stupid as it sounds).

Hill will be allowed to play to his strengths, which will improve our team.

We add a guy who will be a solid DL.

And we add the first pick in the 5th round, which can/will/hopefully become a contributor.

And we save money under the cap.

70. So maybe JP was a “more talented” player. He is a Speed player, who is 31, and overpaid. Meaning that in another year or two he will be a slowing old player who is grossly overpaid.

Our new DT is 28 and a stud. And willing to renegotiate his contract so we can go sign Hill to a multi-year. We need these two guys more than JP.

71. I don’t think he is a stud (like legit Pro Bowler, like what Mebane is turning into), but I do think he’ll be a solid player who will be an asset to the team.

72. SeanCarney says:

In 2007 Redding had 8 sacks, that droped to 1 when Shawn Rodgers left. He will be a solid starter for us like Rocky Bernard.

73. If you can get solid players at every position and then your studs can do their thing, that is when you can be successfull (deep in to play-offs, super bowl, etc.)

I think this trade helps us to get moving in that direction. While DL might not be a huge strength I don’t believe it will be a weakness either.

74. It’s funny how things can get shaded to help make an argument – Peterson is 30, turns 31 on July 28; Redding is 28, turns 29 on 11/15 – so they’re basically two years apart in age. If Redding was going to blow up, it probably would have happened by now. But again, I’m not complaining too much, you’ve got to manage your cap, and I think that’s what they were doing here. I’m a bit worried about lack of pass rush – but hopefully they’ll address it.

Also, gives us more freedom position-wise on draft day, which is always positive.

75. nighthawk2 says:

“whatcha think nighthawk? :p”

What do I think about what? The trade of Peterson for Redding and a 5th? I think it’s a good deal for both teams. They get an outside linebacker to play opposite Ernie Sims and rush the passer, and we get a get DL to add to the rotation who hopefully replaces the inside pass pressure Rocky provided; plus a 5th round pick again. I was never a big fan of the Peterson signing because I thought Ruskell paid too much.

I give zero credibility to Rang’s mocks anymore. Why would Kansas City pass on Curry to take Monroe when 1) they took a left tackle last year in Brandon Albert (the guy whom they moved Albert inside to guard for at Virginia, is his reasoning that they’d do it again–and wouldn’t that make for warm fuzzies on the Chiefs–or that they’d move Albert to the right side, not his natural side?) and 2) defense is the biggest need for Kansas City. They could use a right tackle but taking Monroe just screws their defense.

76. If I were a team as bad as the Chiefs, I would just say to hell with defense in the draft and focus on putting players around Cassell so he doesn’t die. They aren’t going to win in ’09 anyways, so who cares if their defense sucks again? Does it really matter having the 22nd ranked defense or the 30th ranked defense? I’d draft a franchise LT and put Albert back at LG (that’s what they drafted him as) and then have a dominant left side. We tried that once and got a Super Bowl out of it.

77. nighthawk2 says:

Chiefs offense wasn’t too bad last year, like Detroit they’re defense sucked so bad it cost them a chance to win some more games. Haley will get Cassel some weapons but he can’t afford to have that disasterous defense again. Chiefs were 28th in pass defense, 30th in run defense, 29th in scoring defense and 31st in total defense. That has got to change, and quickly.

NFL.com’s Vic Carruci is reporting that the Patriots are working on a deal to trade the 2nd round pick they got from KC for Cassel to the Panthers for DE Julius Peppers. They hope to have it done between the owners meetings March 22-25 and the start of the draft on April 25th. Carolina doesn’t have a 1st round pick, and is struggling to create some cap room (one of the reasons Ken Lucas was released). It would save Carolina the $$$ that a 1st round would cost, and they’d have the 34th and 59th picks overall.

Here is some fuel to all the “trade for Cutler” jibber jabber. Have fun in Detroit…

sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3983805

79. freedom_X says:

I would agree that the Chiefs would be well served to go with defense 1st. Remember Holmgren’s own words – if he could have done it all over again, he’d have built the defense 1st instead of the offense. You can scheme and get by with retreads for a while on offense, but it’s harder on defense.

If Peppers can be had for a 2nd round pick, then the Peterson deal sounds even better. A lot of the feeling on this though, are typical fan “grass is greener” stuff. Seahawk fans seem happy, Detriot fans seem happy. Guy we had sucks, glad we got rid of him. Change for change’s sake really.

80. Will Heller just got signed by the Lions. So we basically traded Tight Ends.

K.C.s offense was awful last year. (18.2 per game, Seattle 18.4) Scott Pioli got his qb, there is no way he passes on Curry. The first three picks seem so obvious to me, clearly I must be missing something: Stafford, J. Smith, Curry. Detroit needs a qb of the future. Kitna and Orlovsky are gone, Culpepper just restructured his contract. Stefford can ride the bench for a year or two.. The Rams need a new Orlando Pace = J. Smith (well…) and the Chiefs simply must get a playmaker on D. And Curry might be the best player in this draft at any position. If it shakes down any other way I’ll be truly stunned.

82. “I don’t think he is a stud (like legit Pro Bowler, like what Mebane is turning into)”

C’mon Bobby, get real. Mebane is a stud pro bowler and Redding isn’t?? You’re just yankin my chain, man.

Redding’s best year was 37 tackles, 10 assists, 8.0 sacks. Mebane’s best so far is 29 tackles, 10 assists, 5.5 sacks. Redding has played both DT and DE and played 4 full seasons without injury. Mebane has yet to do things Redding has done. Both these guys are studs! Both have been stuck playing on crappy D lines on losing teams. But realistically our best D line next year will probably feature Mebane and Redding lined up next to each other with Mebane stuffing two gaps and Redding rushing the passer.

Stevo – That was in ’06, he had 47 tackles. And last year he ended up on IR for the last 3 games. But that was after a 4 year stretch where he played in every game. I offer only as a point of clarification.

84. Southendzone says:

Hey Dukeshire,

I have been thinking a lot about the 1st 3 picks as well, but I think #1 might not be Stafford. A lot of talk that next year’s draft will be stocked with better QB talent. I definitely agree with you that Rams take J. Smith and Chiefs take Curry if they’re available. I’m just not convinced that the Lions are locked in to taking a QB with #1 pick.

85. Stevo,

Did I say Mebane was a Pro Bowler? No. Why? Because he hasn’t made a Pro Bowl.

Did I say I could see him evolving into one? Yes. Why? Because he’s good and keeps improving.

He may not be there yet, but he’s moving in the right direction.

Redding is not a Pro Bowler, even though I think he can/will be a good/solid contributor. Why don’t I think he’s a Pro Bowler? Probably because he’s not been a mainstay at Hawaii in recent memory. He’s not exactly at the age (he’ll be 29 next season) where he will continually improve, Mebane is at that age.

I like them both and am excited about seeing them work together next season!

86. If I’m a Chiefs fan, I’ll take the Left Tackle and pair him with Albert at Left Guard for a decade and gain 3rd and 1 at will for years and years. I don’t think they have any Super Bowl aspirations for next year so I don’t see why it matters if they rank 20th or 30th in defense. That’s just me.

87. Duke, I think my stats were correct. Redding had 37 tackles, 10 assists, 8.0 sacks in 2006. Still greater than anything Mebane has managed so far.

BobbyK. If Mebane makes it to the pro bowl before Redding, I owe you a beer. I’ll be rooting for both of them.

88. freedom_X says:

The reason why you’d go defense 1st (if the players are equal in talent) is that defense takes longer to build and gel. That’s what Holmgren thought, and that’s why he said he’d buld the defense 1st if he were doing it all over again.

But if the offensive player is clearly the better player, yes, they have enough needs that they can’t go wrong selecting there.

89. I have always been under the impression it takes longer for offenses to come together and gel. Some QBs take 5 years to develop. That’s a long time. You rarely see a dominant WR in their R year. Yes, there are exceptions to every rule, but on average, do all WRs dominate in their R years? I don’t think offensive lines gel immediately, do they? Don’t a lot of OL have their better years when they are older/smarter?

90. freedom, I remember Holmgren once saying that he screwed up while being GM by drafting offensive guys and signing defensive veterans in free agency. He said that was a mistake because it took longer for young guys to learn his offense, but he could put young defenders on the field and they would learn more quickly. So in hindsight he thought maybe he had it backward and should have been signing vets on the offensive side of the ball instead of on D.

91. freedom_X says:

That’s possible, I don’t remember it that way but I don’t have the quote anymore so I could be wrong in what Holmgren meant. I’ll try to find it.

My view is that offense is action and defense is reaction. An offensive player can be effective if they just run the play they been coached to do, exactly as coached. Rote memorization, if you will. Naturally they get better and better as they understand the whole scheme and can improvise (broken plays, compensate for missed assignments, etc.) but you can have a solid offense from straightforward execution. The QB is the guy that has to come in early on offense and absorb.

Also you can conceal weaknesses in offensive players but not doing things they can’t do. If you don’t have fast receivers or a strong-armed QB, you don’t call lots of long passes. If the guard can’t pull, you don’t call plays where the guard has to pull, etc. It limits you but you can still function. Holmgren never had a burner at wide receiver since Galloway bailed out, but didn’t have too many problems piling up passing yards.

On defense, with it being reaction based, they have to understand the scheme and recognize what the opposition is doing. They may not have to be as precise as the offense, but they have to have a more complete understanding of the whole picture, and not fall prey to overrunning or breaking their own assignments. If you can’t cover deep, and the opposition keeps challenging you deep, you’re kind of in big trouble. You can try to compensate, but because the offense has the initiative, they can attack the weakness you exposed.

If you have the right mix of talent, for a while you can be “attacking” and try to dictate to the offense what they can do, but you need a boatload of good defensive players to do that, and they take a while to get that good. I don’t think you can patch together an “attacking” defense with retreads and free agents – you have to draft the core of such an offense then add a missing piece or two with free agency.

A lot of Holmgren’s best picks were offensive players that did well instantly (Darrell Jackson, Alexander, Hutchinson, McIntosh the 1 year he played) as rookies.