Report: LB Peterson on the way out

Post by Eric Williams on March 14, 2009 at 7:16 am with 100 Comments »
March 14, 2009 7:16 am

First reported by KJR-AM’s Dave Mahler and later confirmed by ESPN’s Mike Sando, Seattle Seahawks linebacker Julian Peterson may soon be released by the team.

According to reports, the Seahawks asked Peterson to take a pay cut and he refused.

Per Sando, Seattle has around $21 million in salary-cap space tied up in linebackers Peterson, Lofa Tatupu and Leroy Hill, with hill recently receiving an $8.3 million franchise tender and still not signed to a long-term deal.

According to Sando, Peterson’s deal counts $8.8 million against the salary cap if he’s on the team, and $4.6 million if the Seahawks release him.

Apparently, the Seahawks believe Peterson’s play has fallen off enough that he doesn’t warrant the contract, although he did make the Pro Bowl last season as an injury replacement for Derrick Brooks.

Speaking of Brooks, he is available and Seattle defensive coordinator is very familiar with the former Tampa Bay linebacker because of his time with the Bucs, so the Seahawks could make a play for Brooks.

Also, Seattle is likely interested in Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry, who reportedly will visit the Seahawks on March 26.

However, it’s unlikely Curry will get passed the Kansas City Chiefs, who have the No. 3 overall pick.

If Peterson is released, it’s a curious decision by Seattle because it weakens a position of strength on the team. However, perhaps the Seahawks believe they can fill Peterson’s role with a cheaper alternative and need the cap space to sign someone like fullback Leonard Weaver or other players through the draft.

NFL free agency
  1. SeanCarney says:

God dammit i really liked him, it’s a shame cause we all know he can still play the only question is for how much longer

2. williambryan says:

I’m glad Peterson refused to taje a pay cut. Why should he? If its about play dropping off, every player on the team should take a paycut. But requesting the only consistent probowler on the team to take one?! (I consider Walter Jones in a different stratosphere than anyone but he has been injured a little to much to be considered as consistent as JP). Why not ask Hasselbeck to take a pay cut? he cost the team more games than Peterson, and hey, then we could pick stafford or sanchez… This is looking good…

3. It wouldn’t be a great decision by the team. It will show how unclassy our team is. Release him because his play declined? He made the Pro Bowl past year! Release him because they originally signed him to a HUGE contract? still the most athletic Defensive player we have. If they release him, the locker room will be a mess, Free agents may not want to come here… Maybe because LeRoy is taking up all that cap room! What the hell is going with that situation?!

JP should not get released! He was one of the few playmakers on defense

4. Williambryan – youre spot on. A lot of players play last year declined. Why can’t they take a paycut? Another dumb move if it happens by Timmay!!!

5. hawkcrazy says:

JP is a fine player, however he does make a lot of money. I guess we have to ask, is it “elite” money? Ray Lewis is older, but signed for less per year. Bart Scott signed for about the same…personally, I think Scott is WAY better. IF Brooks really would be willing to play in Seattle for a year or 2, I guess I could live with it. Could Hawthorne develop into a replacement with Brooks’ tutelage.

IF however, there is no immediate replacement…are we now positioning for Curry? Does Orakpo fit the bill (I thought he lacked cover skills) or ??? My question is why drop him now? Why not wait until after the draft? I’m sure there is a good reason, but I’m not thinking of what that is.

It just seems like we’re showing our cards, calling JP’s bluff…and someone (Brooks) is all ready to replace him. Seems very curious to me?

6. firejimmoradotcom says:

The cap space taken by the contract is irrelevant. The Hawks are way under the cap. The Hawks just use that as an excuse to cut costs. And guys like Sando just lap it up like warm milk.

We want a winning team, not a budget team.

7. redneckhawk says:

Rumor is we are talking to the Lions about a trade for Cory Redding…maybe a JP for Redding swap?

: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/14/corey-redding-to-the-seahawks/

8. Funny how some people immediately want to blame Ruskell for asking JP to take a pay cut, but if the team thinks JPs play is declining, then Mora has to be involved in this opinion.

I would agree that JP didn’t look like himself last season, but he’s only 30.

But Derrick Brooks? He’s 35. Forget him. And we aren’t getting Curry, so we need to come to terms with JP.

9. nighthawk2 says:

Going to the Pro Bowl is meaningless. Jason Peters, the LT for Buffalo, got voted in because fans are morons. This guy played 13 games, gave up 11.5 sacks (most by any left tackle) and had 8 penalties. So yes, the Pro Bowl is a joke. Peterson is an $8.8 million cap hit if he stays, and $4.6 mil if they release him. Cut him, we can do alright with one of the guys already on the roster. Why should he take a pay cut? Because he was overpaid to begin with. I do agree others should take a pay cut as well thought. Kerney is a $10 mil cap hit, and he’s missed 16 games the last three years and gone on IR with shoulder surgery twice (yes, one year was in Atlanta), and he’s 32. Hasselbeck too, another $10 mil (or more) cap hit. Trufant gets a $7 mil roster bonus this year. What’s the common theme here? Ruskell overpaid for a lot of guys. If he’s too proud to play for less, go to Detroit and point at your name at the back of your jersey and draw penalties there. And don’t let the door hit you on the way out “JP”.

10. tacstar253 says:

i like hawthorne. he was lightin up people in peaseason. maybe they like hawthorne enough to let jp go.

11. Wow, Cory Redding? Thanks for the link redneckhawk.

If that’s true then this isn’t about the money, its about Mora and Ruskell wanting to get bigger and younger in the front 7. Could be interesting. I’d like to see Redding at DT.

12. nighthawk2 says:

NO to Curry, Stafford, Sanchez or Orakpo. We need a new left tackle.

I wish Eric was a little more timely with these posts. This was all pretty well hashed out in the Pork Chop thread.

In ’06 redding had 8 sacks at DT. That was during his contract year. In ’07, after becoming the highest paid DT in the league, he had 1. He ended last season on IR with a knee injury. My first reaction to this rumor: pass.

15. Cutting JP is a waste. If we can trade him then works for me. I like JP but he is a lot of hyp. don’t think we got a lot for our money with him.

16. turboskylinegtr says:

Well the writings been on the wall for a while now. Its kinda ironic seeing all the comments about how we should keep JP and hes worth all this money, and yet when hill was franchised everyone was bashing ruskell because we already had two elite LBs and that we cant possibly have this much money invested in the LB position. the fact of the matter is hill and tatupu are young, which means that they can play for the organization for many more years than an older JP. While its great that we’ve had JP all these years, it makes sense to lose the oldest of the three players, and then use the money saved at another position. Theres no chance JP takes a pay cut either, because if you remember when we signed him, the only reason he came here was money. He left SF (where he was drafted) and wanted to play closer to his home in maryland, but took the megacontract from the hawks. Dont know if a redding for JP move excites me. I like that we are trying to upgrade at DT as its been a problem for a decade now, but without doing any research, redding doesnt wow me. And hawthorne plays MLB if im not mistaken…

17. redneckhawk says:

been perusing lions boards…general consensus is that he is a good player but he gets double-teamed a lot.

18. nighthawk2 says:

Dukeshire, I agree. This guy had one good year, his other seasons were two with 3 sacks and two with 1 sack. Yawn. We can sign a guy like that in free agency. Just shows how stupid Matt Millen was. And why would a team trade for a guy that they figure we’re going to cut? Now if they traded us the 65th or 82nd pick they hold for Peterson, yeah, let’s do it. And why would we want to take on his contract (he has 5 years and $26.5 mil left on that idiotic contract Millen gave him)?

19. humiliator says:

Given the Leroy contract, I saw this as being a possibility. I think this is the right move. LB stock in this years draft is very strong.
    Until the league imposes a rookie wage skill every team is going to have to cut veterans that can still play.
    I wish JP the best and thank him for his hard play.

20. humiliator says:

wage scale MY bad

21. I don’t know that Cory Redding is the right trade for JP, but consider that he is a premier 3-tech DT, something our team lacks. He had an 8-sack year. Since that year he has been playing next to an old Chuck Darby at NT and on a defense that gives him little support so he takes a lot of double teams. On our D line it would be hard to double him every play with Cole and Mebane and Kerney and LoJack next to him, and he could probably wreak some havoc inside. That’s exactly what we need to let our DEs and LBs get after the QB.

I won’t like losing JPs ability to chase down a runner in the open field. He plays sideline to sideline. Still, speed players decline as they age. JP won’t be able to do it forever.

Trading a speed OLB who is declining for a solid starting DT who is still in his prime? Could be a good move for a team that wants a Bigger Badder front 7.

22. I’d really miss watchin JP do his Hamlin imitation…hit the guy, don’t wrap him up, watch the rest of team chase the guy downfield. Always entertaining.

23. nighthawk2 says:

In ’07 Redding was playing next to Shaun Rogers, as he was in the years before. I think he had a great contract year and reverted to his old self, 1 to 3 sacks a year and a ticket to Maui as soon as game 16 ended.

But again, is he going to rework that contract (5 years and $26.5 mil left on it) and is Peterson going to rework his (when he already said no) to make a trade worthwhile? Why should we take on Redding’s bloated contract when Peterson is going to be released to save $4.2 million? That’s what I’m not understanding here.

24. nighthawk2 says:

You bring up a good point. From what I’ve read about the Tampa Cover 2 defense, it places a premium on two things, speed and wrap-up tackling abiity. Peterson has (or had) the first, but was, well, somewhat spotty on the second. So perhaps that’s a secondary consideration to moving him, one way or another, this off season.

bassnw – perfect.

26. I agree that monster trade doesn’t make sense and these kinds of trades rarely happen. If it could happen, I think the trade could be good for the Hawks, but I can’t see why Detroit would go for it.

27. vichawkfan says:

JP is weak vs the run, and his pass coverage was considered the best for a LB in the league 4 yrs ago, has dropped off too. So what does he do at an eltie level now?
    If there’s a trade in the works, picks might also be involved….can they make a deal to draft then trade Curry to us?

28. williambryan says:

nighthawk, I’m with you that the starters for the probowl are meaningless because of fan voting, however, Peterson was voted in by players and coaches- his peers, and that speaks a lot more of him than anything else. A lot of you talk about how great Hill is, but the same guys watching peterson are watching Hill and yet, they still voted Peterson in. I am a high school coach and like to think I know a lot about football, and I know most of you feel the same way, however, when it comes to evaluations of players, the people who know best are other players. Who is the best reciever in the league? ask the best cornerback. who is the best DE? ask Walter Jones. is Peterson a probowler? ask the players and coaches… they all say yes.

29. silverado110 says:

I say let JP go, The only reason he went to the pro bowl was because of his name..
    Think about how many guys go and have missed more games then played, nad went to the bowl..
    We need younger players who want it more. Like bassnw said hits put doesn’t wrap..

30. Redding and a 5th to Hawks for Peterson reported by Fox.

31. chuck_easton says:

If true we can stop all the #4 being used for Raji talk. So it’s Curry or an OT at #4 now.

Any idea what, if any, cap savings come from this trade?

32. I’ll puke if they sign a banged up overrated Lion. If their going to release JP to save a little cash, utilize Hawthorne and address another need. And for the love of God let someone else pick up Brooks. 35? The guy is practically an NFL geriatric! We need to get younger.

33. If that is true that is a hell of trade

34. hawkforever21 says:

So Cory Redding AND a 5th round draft pick…..for JP?!

It sounded like we were going to be giving up a draft pick in this deal.

Well if it’s true, that’s an interesting way of getting our 5th round pick back.

I’ve got to say that I don’t know anything about Redding, but I hope that his stats will be a little better, playing for a better team.

What does this mean now though with the Colin Cole??? Does he now return to his role as a back up player…..at 4-5 million a season? I know Seattle likes to rotate their DT’s, but that’s a lot to pay a “backup”. Oh well…..I guess this eliminates Raji as an option……….now it puts Curry as the obvious choice IF he’s even available………if not, then OL I guess.

35. goneshootin says:

Seriously, are any of you REALLY surprised by this?

Peterson’s a good player and it has NOTHING to do with his ability.

But, in reality, all of these “big” free agent deals really are only 3 years, maybe 4 max… REGARDLESS of the length of the contract.

The reason they extend the deals – i.e. Burleson’s 7yr/$49M and Alexander’s deal – over 6 and 7 years is to pro-rate the signing bonus; so that a smaller dollar amount counts against the cap each year.

The ONLY money the players are guaranteed is: (1) his signing bonus; (2) his annual salary IF he’s on the roster on opening day. That’s it.

So, the same thing’s going to happen next year with Burleson, DEFINITELY, and likely Branch. They’re on extended deals; their signing bonus was the “windfall”; and most of the “salary” is back-loaded meaning they make A LOT more in the last few years of the deal, which is why teams cut them.

This is what’s happening with Peterson. And it’s the flip-side/big negative to free agency. You’re really only getting a player for 3 years UNLESS he restructures his deal. Alexander didn’t; Peterson won’t.

Just the way it goes.

Oh, and I forgot the roster bonus. Many players have a roster bonus clause in their contract that they’re paid if they’re on the roster by a certain date; either the draft or June 1st, don’t remember.

That’s why a lot of players are released in the spring; to not have to pay the roster bonus.

36. goneshootin says:

And for what it’s worth, NO WAY IN HELL will Detroit give up Redding for Peterson straight up, let alone throwing in another pick.

Redding’s a stud – AND EXACTLY what we need – on a bad team.

37. Leroyhill says:

I understand why the team wants to cut JP. He has been very suspect against taking on the blocks against the run, and missing assignments, i.e Cedric Benson of the Bears rumbled 50 yards for a TD. But at the same time, I find it very disappointing that fans on this blog bashed JP so much with comments like “don’t let door hit you on the way out”. Sure we paid him a lot but he delivered multiple sack years. During his time in Seattle, he produced more sacks than any one on this team. Everyone knows how hard it is to find a pass rusher, so we should appreciate what he had done for us. It is a business decision for the Hawks, and so it should be the same for him. No hard feelings.JP was good!

There’s one thing I don’t understand: why hasn’t Branch been asked to restructure? He is a freak with the ball in his hands, but if we’re discussing bloated contracts v. on field production, how is he not the first guy they go to? I have no evidence to support what I’m about to say, but my gut feeling is that the team feels Peterson has been mailing it in. Especially last year, he seemed to be giving full effort only when they were in the game or were winning, which as well all know wasn’t often. His stats do not support this theory. His sack totals have gone down each of his 3 years here but that may have as much to do with Marshall as anything else. He has played in every game since coming here, no less than 74 tackles, and has been pointed out, a pro bowler each season. Yet Branch’s numbers have declined each of his 3 years here. There has to be something more to this.

39. Sounds like Redding restructured his contract to make it work.

This is a shrewed move by the Hawks. JP was great, but how many lanky LB’s last into their 30′s in the NFL?

Alex Marvez of fox sports is reporting it is a done deal.

bq. And for what it’s worth, NO WAY IN HELL will Detroit give up Redding for Peterson

They just did.

42. As stated earlier Pro-bowls have zero credibilty. That being said I hope these guys know what they’re doing(fingers crossed).

43. nighthawk2 says:

“So it’s Curry or an OT at #4 now.”

That’s not any kind of sure thing at all. Left tackle is still a necessity.

“Redding agreed to restructure his contract to make the deal work. He signed a 7-year, $49 million deal with the Lions in 2007.”

From the FOX link Dirk posted.

Dukeshire, maybe it was because Branch was due less than Peterson this year, or because we gave up a 1st round pick for him.

44. redneckhawk says:

Interesting question Duke. Maybe something with JP was taken personally?

45. Cut JP, LB’s are deep in this draft, resign Weaver, cut JJ or TJ or both, pick up a RB somewhere in the draft. Peace.

46. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/03/14/seahawks.peterson/index.html

Another report. Welcome a new DT rotation in Seattle.

1 technique: Cole, Mebane, Bryant
    3 technique: Mebane, Redding, Terrill

47. goneshootin says:

Dukeshire – Then, I stand corrected. I WAS WRONG!

But, if this trade did go down, IT’S A GREAT DAY FOR THE HAWKS!

If we’ve learned nothing else over the last 3 years, it’s this: The best LB core in the league does you NO GOOD if they can’t run freely to the ball because they’re being blocked.

Sure up are D-Line, and then have decent LBs. Much better philosophy, in my opinion.

AGAIN, IF THIS DEAL WENT DOWN… I’M WRONG.

By the way, John Clayton hasn’t confirmed it yet.

48. Nevermond, hopefuly Redding works out and stays healthy. Still cut JJ or TJ, pick up RB in draft, resign Weaver, pay him an average between RB and FB. Then actually use him this season and watch us thrive.

Perhaps, however it’s irrelevant now.

I just don’t see any way Curry slips past the Chiefs. I teams run up the gut on this squad, the whole thing needs to be blown up. Wow.

50. WOO HOO! Welcome to the Big Bad Seahawks D LIne!

Redding, Mebane, Cole, Bryant, Kerney, Jackson, Tapp. Opposing O lines are going to have their hands full!

GREAT trade for the Seahawks.

51. vichawkfan says:

Redding is listed as a DE on the teams site….6’4 295.

52. Now the Hawks trade down with Denver to #12 for a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. The Hawks then take Cushing #12. Sorry. Just day dreaming.

53. vichawkfan says:

and appears to have zero past connections with Atlanta or TB……WOW!

54. vichawk ? Redding played DT next to Chuck Darby last year.

55. nighthawk2 says:

So apparently Redding replaces Bernard as the inside pass rusher, and Cole replaces Green for big run defender (which I don’t think Green ever really was in reality). And we have a 5th round pick again, and a higher one. I remain convinced we’re NOT drafting Curry in the 1st round, a linebacker in a later round is certainly a possibility (Hill was a 3rd round pick). But a guy on the roster may be already considered as Peterson’s replacement.

I’d love to see Julius Jones and Duckett gone, but it won’t happen this year. Ruskell just signed (and overpaid) for them last year, and he won’t throw in the towel yet. Thank god for Forsett.

vichawkfan – He moved to DT in ’06.

57. vichawkfan says:

that’s what I thought too – just wondering

58. goneshootin says:

nighthawk – Where’d you see it included a 5th round pick? What I read said it was a straight-up trade. Thanks.

59. I think JP was a pretty good player for us, but let’s face it, he was a panic signing after the Cluster-Hutch fiasco by “Timmay!” to try and make a splash and deflect the criticism for getting caught with his pants down. He never played up to his contract and we gave him way too much money. I’s love to have him but now we can sign the young guy (Hill) to a long term deal and put some fresh legs in at JP’s spot. Curry probablywon’t be there @ #4 but that’s fine. We can take the QBOTF there and find a (bigger) Tampa-2 LB later in the draft. Somebody like Clay Matthews or James Lauranitus could slip to us at #37.

I guess our DT rotation is set: Redding, Mebane, Cole, Bryant and Terril. I’ll take it.

goneshootin – Alex Marvez is reporting on FoxSports.com that is included a 5th.
    That makes up for the 5th they lost in getting Colbert.

61. goneshootin says:

Dukeshire – Thanks!

Hey Eric, no worries, we got the story covered.

63. The problem with the Seahawks IS Tim Ruskell. Nothing he has done has added to a winning program. This trade aside, Ruskell is responsible for letting go some of the Seahawks best players with the promise that better is coming. WHEN?? I am still waiting.

Hey Timmey! If you want get rid of a player who is on his down side and really has not done squat over the last 2 years, look at Hasselbeck. He has performed very poorly with a QB rating less than it should be if you really want to be a division winner. But for the bottom of the division? Hey, keep up the destructive work. Its working. Bottom of the cellar again, directly due to your influence.

64. hawkforever21 says:

REDDING-FOR-PETERSON DEAL DONE
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2009, 1:25 p.m. EDT

According to FOXSports.com, via Tom Kowalski of Mlive.com, the deal that will send defensive tackle Cory Redding from Detroit to Seattle for linebacker Julian Peterson is done.

Though we’d previously heard that the Seahawks would be sending a draft pick to the Lions, as it turns out the Lions are sending a fifth-rounder to the Seahawks.

65. I think the Seahawks got the best of this deal straight-up. The addition of the 1st pick in the 5th round just sweetens the victory!

I was getting tired of seeing JP jump on guys shoulders and getting shook off. I can’t wait to see our big new D line kick the snot out of the Cardinals next year.

66. nighthawk2 says:

Yeah, it was the Fox Sports link that reported the 5th round choice.

“vichawk ? Redding played DT next to Chuck Darby last year.”

6 degrees of separation working here?

Osiris 33, I pretty much looked at Peterson the same way. And Nate Burleson, I mean the Huchinson contract figures and 2 poison pill clauses.

67. vichawkfan says:

amen Stevo. 5th round pick from the Lions is really like our previous 4th rounders.
    E.Monroe will be the pick. Book it.

68. Wonder when “Seahawks Insider” is going to go ahead and post the story. Or maybe links to the rumors. Or maybe, I don’t know, news about the Seahawks.

Where there is no offseason. Except during the offseason.

69. “I’d really miss watchin JP do his Hamlin imitation…hit the guy, don’t wrap him up, watch the rest of team chase the guy downfield. Always entertaining.”

I think this is a pretty tough crowd – b/c I’ve watched Peterson do a lot of good things in this time here – athletic and one of the few guys on D you could describe as dynamic. He was a playmaker for us – and our 2nd best pass rusher after Kerney.

I do get that we had proportionally too much money tied up in our LBs – but I’d hoped they could figure out a deal for Hill that got him down from the Franchise number.

Can’t say that I know much of anything about Cory Redding – I guess he moves right into the starting line-up?

70. Redding should step right into a rotation of Redding-Mebane-Cole-and maybe Bryant at DT. That’s a lot of Beef.

71. Julian was a above average pass rushing DE. He would be a great fit as an OLB in a 3-4, but he just did not fit our system. He will be missed as a pass rusher, not as an all purpose LB.

This will allow Leroy to rush the passer more, which is a strength of his.

Save $ + 1st pick of the 5th Round + pass rushing DT = nice work Ruskell

72. There were a couple games last year when run defense was an issue (Giants game was the real bad one) – but otherwise, our run defense really wasn’t the problem last year. It was lack of a pass rush that hurt us – and we’ve now got our best pass rusher coming back from a serious injury, and our 2nd best traded (even, arguably, our next best pass rusher, Bernard, gone as well) – so what’s the plan on improving this area of the team? Because it seems to me we’ve taken a step backwards there.

73. I agree Dirk. Its time to give Ruskell some credit. He’s really using his assets here. 3 pro bowl LBs was not taking this team to the next level. A bigger badder D line can help, and we can draft JPs replacement in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Great work by Ruskell to not sit on his hands but to make big moves to improve the team. He said when he came here that his priority was a better front 7, and I see him doing it.

74. I know it’s tough to gauge DT’s by their stats – much of their effectiveness doesn’t show up there – but JP over the past 3 yrs – 24.5 sacks, 9 forced fumbles; Redding over the same time 12 sacks and 2 FF. But, I will give plenty of credit to Ruskell for getting a trade done rather than just cutting Peterson for cap reasons.

I just hope Redding can play – it’s tough to know who’s good and who isn’t on an 0-16 team. Reading bits here and there online – seems like most Detroit fans are extremely happy with this trade.

“There seems to be a consensus of sorts on this board that Peterson underperformed – but I disagree – he was an active, athletic player for us who pressured the QB, and ran sideline to sideline probably better than anyone else on the team. Hill may be a more sound tackler, but Peterson was much more of a playmaker over the past three years.”

His athleticism is not in question. And yes, he can get after the QB, at times. But all his flash aside, he was a liability against the run and as you point out, not a sure tackler. This is a difficult thing to define, but there seemed to be a lack of depth to his play. A role player rather than a genuine “difference maker”. A product of those around him rather than a creator, on his own. I realize that is very subjective, but those are my impressions, for good or ill.

Do we know the details of Redding’s restructured contract?

77. Not that it happens much, and not that it’s the sole way to judge who you keep and who you don’t – but if there was one single player on the Hawks who had the ability to sack the QB, cause the fumble, recover the fumble, and return it – it was Peterson. And having elite athlete types on your unit – just gives a defense a confidence, a belief they can make a gamechanging play. And hey, 9 forced fumbles over 3 yrs, is impressive.

As I said, I get that we had a lot of resources tied up in the LB corps – and so I understand the thought of moving that $ around, all i’m trying to convey is that I’ll miss what Peterson brought, and that Redding needs to be a noticeably good player to make this deal worth it for me.

Lot of bodies at DT now, but we do need to figure out a way to get to the QB. IF Kerney is back in form, and IF he stays healthy, that’s one guy – but if goes down again, I think our D is again in trouble.

78. At first glance, this looks like a cap-wash. Most of Redding’s money was front loaded into the first 3 years of his deal – I wonder what we are left with.

79. Props, this is a first class move, love Redding, we’ve got a complete D-line now, now looking for Raji, Jerry or Brace, Julian made plays so it’s sad to see him go, but it’s for the best he’s not the youngest and our cap is getting way better + the pick i needed in my mock, we can get a WR+S+QB+ make our O-line stronger, the future looks bright now!

80. so getting rid of peterson saves us about 4 mil, adding redding we gotta wait and see if his contract is changed. can anyone tell or point to a site that will tell our cap situation now?

i am always for trading down but have also always been thinking how difficult it will actually be. but a scenario that chris mortensen gave sounds plausible. he says tampa really wants to get its QB of the future in round 1 this year. i hope timmay is pounding the phones with them and that detroit does take one of the two QB’s so we can get down.

81. So do we draft Curry now? And what does this meen for Hawthorne, really love that young kid

82. From Rotoworld:
    It’s believed that Seattle will also receive a fifth-round pick. Redding, 28, was entering the third-year of a seven-year, $49 million deal, but he has agreed to restructure as part of the trade. Though he finished a disappointing season on IR with knee and groin injuries, Redding is expected to replace Rocky Bernard’s production at defensive tackle.

83. SeahawksAddict.com has a few decent stories surrounding the trade.

Here’s the scouting report on Redding:
    A five-year veteran with good size and athleticism, Redding has been extremely durable for an interior defensive lineman and has been consistent as a run-stopper. He played hard with toughness and intensity last season despite the fact that his sack total dwindled from eight in 2006 to just one a year ago. Redding utilizes great quickness, foot agility and balance to penetrate gaps and disrupt plays in the backfield. He drew many more double teams last season and was eliminated from plays, but that also allowed the linebackers behind him to stay clean and run to the ball. He has quick hands and is adept at slipping blocks, separating and getting to the pile. Redding is an instinctive player who understands leverage and reacts well to blocking schemes, feels pad pressure well and does a nice job pressing back and restricting running lanes. He will have to anchor the inside alone after the departure of fellow big body Shaun Rogers, but Redding is a good football player and a new offensive emphasis on ball control should help him and the rest of the defense.

They have him rated as the 8th best DT in the league.

84. Drafting Curry would only put us right back where we were with Peterson in that we have way too much money wrapped up in LBs.

Herring, who we drafted 2 years ago should fill in nice with the Tampa 2 style D.

This move means getting the Leroy deal done ASAP and letting him blitz his ass off next year. He wasn’t able to do that with JP also blitzing.

I love the move! Thanks for the time spent here JP but it was just time to move on.

Redding paired with Mebane is scary for other teams!

85. FBGHooper says:

Great deal. Very happy to see JP go as he was turning into a reputation player only. Did anyone else see him get repeatedly embarrassed in the Pro-Bowl while in pass coverage or attempting to make a tackle? His time is over.

86. mothertruckr says:

Were going to see what Hawthorne can do this year at LB. Curry will not be there at number 4.

87. Drillslinger says:

Damn, I’m gonna miss JP. What does this mean for the #3 LB spot? If Curry is available @ 4 then, duh. But of not… who fills out our LB corps? Hawthorne?

88. redding has only been a DT for one season, before that he was a DE. seems like the team will have some versatility with him playing on the 3 technique DT or even at times can slide him out to DE depending on lojack and tapp and kerney health situation.

i kind of liked JP, but he is aging and we needed to shake things up a bit. i agree with the thought though, curry will be gone by the time we pick. with our cap situation pretty tight, i think this might be one of those situations to let hawthorne or whoever else we have now and draft in like 3rd and 4th rounds battle it out for playing time.

89. seafanalways says:

i am really loving our DT rotation now. the only way i do not like this trade is if they draft curry. which they wont, so pretty much i like the trade

90. my mistake, redding has been DT for 2 years.

91. The only thing this means as far as the draft goes is that we will not be taking Raji with our pick, which would have been a stretch anyway.

BPA is the mantra still

My guess is that they will be picking from

Crabbtree – Monroe – Orakpo

92. The last time I saw Cory Redding he was sitting on the dock with Otis.

93. PhilKenSebben says:

Resign DD Lewis! and Niko Koutivides!

IMO, with the players MOST LIKELY to still be there, it’s a toss p between Monroe and Jenkins.

95. lol oceanic.

96. redneckhawk says:

Niko is a Buc

97. hawkcrazy says:

I agree Just me…Crabtree – Monroe – Orakpo…I’d even add M. Jenkins as a dark horse, but my pick is still Orakpo.

Very interested to see how these “deep” FA prospects the FO has found in the Norris Division (Cole, GB/Redding DET).

It’d be nice to consistently stop the run.

Jenkins would be the perfect #2 CB to pair with Tru…

so many options…love it!

98. chuck_easton says:

They did re-sign DD Lewis today.