Report: ‘Pork Chop’ Womack headed to Cleveland

Post by Eric Williams on March 13, 2009 at 4:47 pm with 28 Comments »
March 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting that the Cleveland Browns have signed Seattle Seahawk free agent Floyd “Pork Chop” Womack to a undisclosed deal.

Womack signing elsewhere comes as a mild surprise, as the Seahawks liked his versatility, with his ability to play both guard and tackle.

And Womack is coming off of one of his best seasons for Seattle, starting 14 games last season. However, with Seattle recently re-signing Ray Willis, the team may feel OK about its depth at offensive line.

A fourth-round pick for Seattle in 2001, Womack started 47 of the 90 games he played with the Seahawks, and likely will play on the right side of the line for the Browns.

NFL free agency

If his plague of injuries are behind him, he’ll be a fine player for them. Good luck ‘Chop.

2. Seems a little more likely we go OT at #4.

3. snydro22 says:

KJR reporting we are about to drop J Pete…

The ‘Hawks have scheduled a workout with Aaron Curry on March 26th.

5. Did you hear that Cleveland, 47 of 90 games…Oh well. I hope that’s a dirty little rumor (JP-KJR), Snyder22. I’d rather keep JP than the drunk Hawiian! I’m sorry, I just haven’t bought into Lofa yet. Yah, 05 he was a stud. But since, he’s been mediocre.

6. He’s been mediocre because o linemen are molesting him because we have have zero pass rush and and no DTs to take occupy blockers.

7. seafanalways says:

8. I am ok with the hawks dropping JP, but I think the year to do that is next year, not this year.

9. He’s been anything but mediocre – you can argue about his salary, but he’s been a playmaker most of his time in Seattle. Not sure why they’d make this move.

10. What are the salary / cap ramifications of dropping here this year vs next? How much will we gain?

11. seafanalways says:

we gain 4.6 mil this year, not sure about next year

12. If they drop JP for salary cap, they’d best have a BLOCKBUSTER in mind……..

13. Dropping JP now doesn’t make sense.

Pretty smart that we sign JP the SAME day we choose not to guarantee Hutch his contract.

Oh, that’s right, we paid JP more than Hutch got from the Vikes.

Oh, I forgot, Hutch was going to suck after a year or two that we would have released him anyways.j

Maybe the Vikings are about set to release Hutch sometime soon. Afterall, he sucks now, right?

14. My thought on releasing JP next year is that we need this year to groom and validate his replacement…..

If we draft a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round OLB, I say we carry four awesome LBs for 2009. If our drafted LB is for real, JP is released with thanks in 2010.

15. seafanalways says:

i doubt that they just release him. after readin it it says that they asked him to restructure and he refused. they could trade him, but they wont just release him just because he wont restructure…that my opinion

16. seafanalways says:

17. hawks4372 says:

If you’re a 4-12 team and you grossly overpay for a 32-year-old wide receiver, you must think you have one last shot at it in you before you wave the white towel. If you’re 4-12, you grossly overpay for the WR, and then you cut the aging but still productive linebacker that has been a Pro Bowler every year he’s been on your squad, then you’re a complete mess of an organization without any dam direction whatsoever. You’re constantly in limbo, unsure of whether you’re a contender or rebuilder. The answer is you’re a 4-12 team for the forseeable future because you can’t make up your stupid minds about it. If they cut J-Pete now, it only further proves how awful this org is and will continue to be for a long time. That report better be erroneous.

Enjoy TJ for two years at a combined record of about 9-23 regardless.

So dumb.

18. seafanalways says:

4372, you are not smart

19. maddog12 says:

Moo- you mentioned a block buster… how about a slightly older LB from Tampa named Brooks he used to be pretty good.

Of course he played behind a pretty good D-Line that included a guy named Sapp (also pretty good).

That dang line thing keeps creepin in, seems to be the foundation of everything.

20. maddog – you may have nailed it. Derrick Brooks. Timmay! drafted him. I could see him coming here and replacing JP (if JP is going to get released) on a 1-year deal.

In all honesty, if JP gets replaced with Brooks… I won’t be pissed. Call me weird but Brooks is (still) a stud. I think he has 1 more productive year left. In his current contract situation – I only see (saw) JP around for 1-2 more years anyways.

But — seafan — makes a good point about finally getting someone in charge who actually knows how to use him. Seems dumb to release him if Mora is smart enough to play him to our strengths.

But – again – the next reader makes a good point about being stupid in overpaying for a WR and releasing an overpaid OLB (even though both are about the same age). He’s right… doesn’t make sense… although I don’t agree we are doomed to suck next year — I think we’re going to be good…

Interesting points…

Things that make you go HMMM…

21. maddog12 says:

Thats why I love this time of year…whole lotta ways things could go. JP has been productive but with Brooks available, Ruskell and our new D coordinator with previous knowledge…you gotta think making Brooks a Hawk has at least been discussed.

If they move JP I hope they trade him for draft pick/s.

22. williambryan says:

Releasing Peterson at this point would be dumb and add to a increasingly sizeable list of things that makes it harder to support this team. What more do you want from somebody? what can we get that’s better? an older Brooks? At this point i don’t know what he has left, I do know that Hasselbeck thinks he is the best LB he has ever played though. But Petersons production and potential (If used to his strengths) is far greater than anything else out there. The team has a 120+million payroll…Use it! you pay top dollar for good players and Peterson has been great and at times dominant.

I would love to see us pick up curry (I doubt he will last til 4 though) and that wouldn’t have to mean the end for JP. There is a good chance our starters will not last the season without injury so there is nothing wrong with haveing more starters then there is room for. I just don’t think it has to be either or.

I hope losing Womack doesn’t come back to bite us. but if we can limit the line injuries by half (considering where we were at that is pretty reasonable) we shouldn’t miss him.

23. seafanalways, you seem to have some pretty serious issues. Would you like to shoot me an e-mail so we can talk about your feelings?

24. SeanCarney says:

Raavens cutting Samari Rolle…get him…now

25. nighthawk2 says:

“kwtc, really? so 3 pro-bowls and an all pro is just mediocre? wow what else could he do to make you of all people buy into him?”

The Pro Bowl is a joke. You don’t have to look any farther than Jason Peters being named to it last year to figure that out (as if it wasn’t obvious anyway). For those of you who don’t follow football outside of Seattle, or at all (which is a lot judging from some of the posts on this blog and I don’t mean just this article) Jason Peters is the left offensive tackle for the Buffalo Bills. He played just 13 games in 2008, gave up 11.5 sacks, the most of any left tackle in the NFL, and was called for 8 penalties. Yet he got voted into the Pro Bowl. Why? Because fans to get to vote, and fans are stupid. What’s really scary is these people also get to vote in elections and serve on juries, but that’s another matter. So Tatupu being the Pro Bowl is meaningless, as is the fact that Leroy Hill hasn’t been voted to the Pro Bowl, because the Pro Bowl is meaningless. And frankly kwtc has something of a point, I don’t think Tatupu is mediocre, just overrated. Vastly overrated. I can’t help remembering 07 when he was so often out of position. Anyway, regarding Peterson, won’t bother me in the slightest if this overpaid consolation prize is given the opportunity to explore other options as the corporate vultures say when someone is fired (saving us $4.2 million on the cap). I think someone on the roster would do fine on the other side.

“besides why release him now, i mean they just got some D minds who will know how to use him”

I think that would more accurately describe Leroy Hill. Peterson was used in situations where Hill should have been, and Hill was left to basically rot on the vine and asked to do things that didn’t play to his strength.

Bobby, Brooks? I wouldn’t doubt it, he’s an ex-Buccaneer and Timmay! never met one he didn’t want to sign and overpay. Or a Falcon, right Duckett? Which is probably why we won’t sign Rolle, he was with the Ravens and Titans. But they thought Jamie Sharper had one more good year left too. One of the many things I like about the Patriots is that they have a knack for knowing when to let someone go, it might be a year too early but it’s never a year too late.

As for Floyd Womack, I reported that in the “Weaver…waiting game” thread with a cut and past from KFFL. I would rather have kept him than Willis frankly, but Willis is a Numbskull draftee and Womack was a Holmgren guy (as were Morris and Bernard, incidently). So who’s left from the Holmgren era, Hasselbeck, Seneca Wallace, Trufant, Locklear and Walter Jones? This is Walter’s last year even if his knee responds to the microfracture surgery (doubtful), Hasselbeck is 34 a couple of weeks into the season, he’s started 16 games only 3 times in his 8 years here, and played in 16 only 4 times in those 8 years…

Dropping him this year would make sense to me on two unknowable (at the moment) conditions: 1- the health of Walt’s knee. If he is done and and cannot go forward, there is simply no way they can pass on one of the tackles, this year. Most likely E. Monroe as the Rams will probably select J. Smith. 2 – Will KC pass on Aaron Curry? Don’t see how they can. If Seattle knew Curry would fall to them, that would make dropping Peterson this year more reasonable, to me.

As there is no cap in place for 2010, it wouldn’t appear that dropping him is an attempt to clear space in the future, or anything more than redirecting his money to other contracts, draft picks. Is a long term deal with Hill close? Who knows? While I’m not surprised, the time of this seems odd, to me.

27. I agree. We must take LT if they know something we don’t about Walt’s knee. If Smith is gone, and I hope Monroe is gone, that leaves us with Oher:)

Unless we sign Brooks, this makes no sense. This would be one of the only Tampa Bay castoffs that I would be happy with. There aren’t many players in the history of the NFL that I respect more than Brooks and he still had gas left in the tank last year. I don’t see him as a Jamie Sharper at all, but I can see where one would think it.

28. tacstar253 says:

lol have fun with him clevland. You just got the most expensive bench warmer in the league. Guaranteed he gets injured in training camp with a hurt knee or pulled hammy. Great move hawks.