Morning links: Lombardi trophy on the line

Post by Eric Williams on Feb. 1, 2009 at 6:50 am with 11 Comments »
February 1, 2009 6:50 am

Here’s some stuff to get you ready for Super Bowl XLIII here in Tampa. We’ll be blogging live from Raymond James Stadium during pregame festivities and throughout the game, so check here for thoughts and observations on the matchup between Arizona and Pittsburgh.

Super Bowl links

Today’s big game pits Arizona’s unstoppable offense vs. Pittsburgh’s immovable defense.

An improved Arizona offensive line will have to stop Pittsburgh’s talented linebacker quartet.

The TNT’s Dave Boling says the underdog Arizona will win this one.

The TNT’s John McGrath says Pittsburgh is the better team.

Here’s a breakdown of the key matchups.

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic says the Cardinals are no longer the struggling franchise known for losing.

Paola Bolvin of the Arizona Republic looks back at the 1947 Cardinals championship team.

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writes that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is seeking redemption after his poor performance against Seattle in his last Super Bowl appearance.

Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports says Pittsburgh owner Dan Rooney sets the tone for the franchise that remains a consistent winner.

Jerry Brewer of the Seattle Times says Seahawks fans can’t root for "Stealers."

1. pabuwal says:

A Cardinals victory today would put to rest the chants of the NFC West as the worst division and put the Steelers and their overrated QB in their place.

Go Cardinals!

2. The only way I’d say “Go Cardinals” is if Albert Pujols were batting. Still, I hate the Stealers too much to hope they win.

Pick you poison, huh? If I was a betting man, and I am, I don’t se any way the Cards beat Pittsburgh today. Give the touchdown and cash your ticket. Pitts 34 Cards 23.

4. pabuwal says:

I don’t see the Cards winning either, but it would be great to see the Steelers QB put up another 22 QB rating on the way to a loss.

What would you rather see:

1). The Steelers win their 6th Trophy
    2). The Steelers QB land in the HoF

or

1). No one able to mock the NFC West any longer
    2). Warner make the HoF

Pretty easy, huh?

5. Today I am between a rock and a hard place. I don’t like the Stealers, even though they are a great football team. They have made the right choices and have been staying healthy since the Super Bowl , the ref’s gave to them!!! On the other hand, the NFC west AZ Cards are the team for them to beat, instead of the Seahawks. What a hard dissapointing season for a die Seahawk fan. I hope the Cards kick some Stealer butt and the game is a blow out. And then we start anew, on how we are going to un seat the Cards for next years Super Bowl. I hope the refreshments are cold during the game!!

6. CYRREEN says:

The game’s outcome has already been decided. The Arizona is the Cinderella team. So watch the refs giving this one to AZ.

I don’t care much about people mocking the NFC West. Arizona winning does nothing for me in terms of pride. I sure as hell didn’t root for the Broncos or Raiders when the ‘Hawks were in the AFC West.

8. OutSydeDog says:

LOL…High Fives to Dukeshire!!! I don’t see how people can put down the NFC West. Our division has been in the SB almost half the time over the last decade. Oh, that’s right. They mock us during the regular season and watch us in the playoffs :)

I for one, will be rooting against both teams, while drinking heavily.

OutSydeDog – Do you live in Portland? If so, you’re welcome to come over and mock the game (and coverage) with me while pounding cocktails.

10. OutSydeDog says:

Dukeshire…no, I’m in Tacoma, but thanks for the invite :) I’ll be raising a toast to each and everyone who posts here. That should kill off a good portion of the keg. Double shots for Dukeshire and Bobbyk..lol

GO SB Commercials!!!!

LOL, Jager, perhaps…Man, you got a keg. That is Super Bowl dedication. Love it.