Seahawks-Redskins stats

Post by News Tribune Staff on Nov. 18, 2008 at 2:10 pm with 27 Comments »
November 18, 2008 2:10 pm

2008 Stats Seahawks Redskins
Record 2-8 6-4
Total Yards Gained 2,538 3,363
Total Offense (NFLRank) 253.8 (31) 336.3 (13)
Rush Offense 108.3 (t19) 139.4 (5)
Pass Offense 145.5 (31) 196.9 (20)
Points Per Game 19 (26) 18.1 (27)
Total Yards Allowed 3,807 2,764
Total Defense 380.7 (28) 276.4 (4)
Rush Defense 115.5 (21) 84.3 (5)
Pass Defense 265.2 (31) 192.1 (10)
Points Allowed/Game 25.7 (26) 18.2 (7)
Possession Avg. 25:54 31:49
Sacked/Yds. Lost 22/123 26/182
Sacks Made/Yds. Lost 24/134 15/89
Interceptions By 5 8
Penalties/Yds. 42/320 53/428
Punts/Avg. 61/44.2 47/39.6
Turnover Differential -3 (21) +2 (t15)

Statistics
  1. we’re gonna get S T O M P E D.

2. Interesting. We are actually scoring more points per game than they are.

Oh, a good defense is such a beautiful thing.

I am happy for Plack that he is getting to play for a decent team.

3. wrestle90 says:

They might win the battle, but we won the war. Rembember who knocked them out of the playoffs the last few years. :)

4. kurtisballard says:

their defense benefits a ton from a lack of turnovers and an ability to actually move the ball and eat clock by the offense. so don’t be fooled by the points per game, their offense is actually much better than seattle’s.

5. For the most part, it takes a TEAM effort to win a Super Bowl.

On one hand, our D is ranked 31st. But I don’t buy into the theory that our talent level on D is 31st in the NFL.

First off, I think we have a bad DC.

Secondly, our D has to spend too much time on the field, as our O never helps them out.

On the flip side of this, our GM has gutted our O so he can focus most of his picks and FA dollars on the D so, then, of course more should be expected from our D than our O.

I actually think our D would be fine for next season if we could only add a FS. I know we wouldn’t be adding a much needed pass rusher, but I think the best thing for our D is:

1. A competent DC.
    2. An offense to sustain drives. So, adding a good WR or a good interior OL would actually make the D better than actually adding a good defensive player. I hope this makes sense.

6. FireTimRuskell says:

Seahawks need to fire Tim Ruskell after next year (09-10) and bring Holmgren back to be the Seahawks GM after his year-long sabbatical. Making sure SF doesn’t lure him away.

Fire Jim Mora because it’s apparent that he’s more focused on the HC position then his current coaching position. The secondary stinks. How can their secondary go from being average to one of the worst? They need to get rid of 5’9 craps.

7. guys, HOMEGREN IS GONE AND HE AINT COMING BACK. I cant beleive how many people think that is possibe. has any coach or GM quit a team to come back a year or two later? its crazy to think that. he’s going somewhere else. who cares if his family is settled here, they’ll adjust somewhere else i’m sure, like SF…his home town.

FireTimRuskel, is this the formerly known Firejimmora?

9. How can this organization stink overnight? But it does.. Lets hope for better days ahead.

10. The reasons the secondary sucks compared to last year is (in my opinion)…

1. The pass rush isn’t as good.
    2. Trufant isn’t in a contract year.
    3. Grant/Russell are a year older and a year complacent in Seattle (not as much to prove to teammates).
    4. Jennings broken ribs.

11. The only reason the seconday “sucks” this year is the huge difference in caliber of teams and QBs faced. Very few of the QBs they faced last year now start for the same teams. Facing guys like Matt Moore, Chris Redman, Alex Smith x2, Troy Smith, Matt Leinart, Gus Ferrote, AJ Feely, Derek Anderson and Rex Grossman inflated the stats of a porous unit.

12. madpunter88 says:

I live here in the D.C. area. As a life-long Seahawks fan I would never profess to be a Redskins fan. But I do keep up with them listening to sports radio, etc. They are a good team but their early season success is fading as opposing teams have figured out Zorn’s system. They are 6-4 right now but they’ll probably finish 9-7 team this year (thanks to games left against Cincy, Seattle, and SF). This is no gimme for them as they have struggled to move the ball at all the last few weeks (albeit against good teams) and they’re traveling across country.

I think the difference is that the Seahawks will put up minimal effort. Normally I wouldn’t say such things but after the loss to the Cardinals it appears the coaching staff has essentially packed it in. When your head coach is announcing that priorities have changed but he doesn’t know what they changed to it is a bad sign. Not a knock on Holmgren, per se, but it is apparent he is a lamer duck right now than George Bush. The players are professionals but when the coaching staff has given up on this season (which is realistic) but also said they are not planning for next year because they don’t know what needs to be done, then why would the players really make much of an effort? (queue the person who responds saying they should make an effort because they are professionals and/or are being paid millions — got it but it is still not realistic) Holmgren won’t be evaluating them this year for spots on next year’s team. The OC and DC will likely change. I imagine they are all going to pull back a little to avoid injury which is probably prudent.

The Seahawks will be saved from losing out this season only by a game against the Rams. But I don’t think 3-13 means they are in for a long rebuilding. This is still a talented team with potential. Let’s hope Mora brings a new level of intensity to practice, game-planning, and aggressiveness during games.

13. nighthawk2 says:

madpunter88, I guess I’m one that will say yes, they are professionals and should be trying to win regardless of the season being lost. But the guy who’s going to be evaluating them for next season is already on the staff, and he is watching them now. They better be aware of this. It was mentioned elswhere in the blog that playing younger guys might anger veterans with incentive clauses. I say too bad, let them get angry. If they were doing their jobs right we wouldn’t be 2-8. I want to see what Vallos can do at center, and why not give Wrotto some time at guard and see if there’s any redeeming value there. Wrotto can’t make even the active list, let alone get on the field when there are injuries, so let’s find out if there is anything there or not. Same with Hobbs, C.J. Wallace and Jamar Adams in the secondary.

I believe our defense can be turned around next season with a change of co-ordinator, and with improvement on the offense so that we get back to the 2005 level of offense. Sustaining drives, scoring points, gaining leads, will go a long way to defensive improvement in just one season. THE place to focus for immediate improvement is the offensive line. I’ve suggested before that what could be the best course in free agency, after identifying those FA’s we want to keep and re-signing them, is to focus on one big “splash” in free agency, and make it a top offensive linemen. If they don’t want to keep Willis who is a FA, then make the effort to sign Jordan Gross. If Walter tells them he’s retiring, it’s even more important, and may mean focusing on OT in the 1st round as well. If he’s not, then re-sign Willis and let he and Locklear fight it out for ROT. If Walt stays and they re-sign Willis, focus on a guard, either Goff from San Diego or Hochstein from New England, as the big FA, and do it quietly, no fanfare beforehand. If Gross is Tagged or re-signs before March 1st, then we go OT in the draft if Willis isn’t re-signed and especially if Walt retires. If all goes well, we could have an offensive line of Jones, Wahle, Vallos, Goff/Hochstein, Locklear/Willis and hopefully sign some lower tier FA’s for better depth along with Womack. Then our 1st round pick could be a WR like Crabtree, or a safety like Mays or Rolle or Moore, or an OLB like Brian Cushing if we lose Hill. The most important thing to do is improve the offensive line.

14. pabuwal – very good point. You have said that before, and I have thought it. I should have remembered to add that as a reason — crappy QBs we faced last season. Even though we won the game, Carson Palmer really looked good against us and we couldn’t hardly stop him last year — although a lot of teams had problems with them early last year.

nighthawk – IF Vallos isn’t the answer at C, Matt Birk is still in his lower 30s and he’s a former Pro Bowler who is very good. The Vikes probably won’t bring him back for various reasons. He’s a hell of a lot better than Chris Spencer. But, you’re right, FA is the best way to anchor the OL for ’09. Birk would be a great place to start. It’d be nice to have a good C who doesn’t struggle with line calls. It would help everyone out on the OL. Unless we use our #1 on an OL, then I don’t see immediate impact from a rookie (that’s not saying to not draft one in the 2nd or 3rd and securing a decent line for the future too).

15. yankinta says:

BobbyK, I like your example about Huston Rockets Tanking the second half of the season to get Hakeem and winning 3 Championships later.

But you forgot that Spurs did the same thing. They could have brought back David Robinson for the second half or the last 20+ games of the season but decided to TANK the season to get Tin Duncan. Look how many CHAMPIONSHIPS they’ve won too.

Let’s be smart and give us 2-14 team. I’ve checking out this site regularly to dream about next season.

I want one of the following guys with our first pick.

3. Vontae Davis* CB Illinois 98
    4. Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State 97
    6. Michael Crabtree** WR Texas Tech 96

What answer at center? Spencer is developing into a solid center. He finally seems to be healed from his shoulder injury, and is one of the mot reliable linemen on the roster.

17. bigmike04 says:

Hey frank can you answer me this. I was wondering what the OL stats as team and what was it last year and have they improve or not…

yankinta, The NBA is not the NFL. Are you able to point to ONE example where “tanking” the remainder of the season has led to a championship? I’ll be right here when you come up with one.

“Let’s be smart and give us 2-14 team” Nonsense. As was asked here a couple days ago, would you really trust the franchise with a draft pick that low?

19. nighthawk2 says:

Spencer sucks. Always has, always will. Still can’t make line calls or pick up stunts. The pressue is always coming up the middle on us. Solid? Not by a long shot. I would not at all be adverse to drafting Duke Robinson in the 1st round (even at 6th) and then Alex Mack in the 2nd if he was still there.

I’ll help you with some of that; stats alone will fall short from being able to desseminate this line. Injuries to the quaterback and receivers alone make any statistical analysis subjective, at best. In short, numbers can be misleading, regardless of how they point.

First of all, if someone like Robinson is there, you take him. Second, most of the pressure “coming up the middle” has been over right guard and that revolving door. Spencer has taken strides as the year has gone on. I totally disagree with you on him.

22. yankinta says:

Dukeshire, you’re right NBA is not NFL. NFL values their Draft picks more than NBA. NFL First Round Picks collectively have more impact in their first year than NBA First Round Picks.

I cannot point to an NFL teams winning Championships after receiving overall first picks in the draft. But I will point to Dwight Freeney, Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Kevin Williams DE and Albert Haynesworth DT.

Do you know what this list means? I will bet my house that you don’t.

Therefore I will tell you. These are the names of players Seahawks had targeted with their first round pick, only have other teams who picked 1 or 2 spots ahead of them picked these players and we ended with players like Jerramy Stevens or so on.

Please do you research before you open your mouth.

Let me ask you this; if in those spots, do you trust this front office to make those selections you pointed to? I do not. In addition, you are giving those players, and those alone credit for the success of teams that have Tom Brady and Payton Manning (in those two cases)? I have done my homework, and I disagree with you that tanking games = championships.

By the way, Seymour was taken in 2001, Stevens, Haynsworth and Freeney 2002. So there’s that.

25. yankinta says:

My point exactly. We aimed at the right guys only to have other teams pick these players 1 or 2 picks before our pick. We’ve been burned like this on more than 2 occasions. I only know because I read all the interviews and listen to KJR all week before and after the draft. I know who the Hawks wanted but couldn’t get.

I don’t trust this front office. That why I’ve been saying Tim Ruskell gets one more chance and if he makes more mistakes and we have a bad year in 2009, I will bet my house that he will be fired.

26. yankinta says:

Just because I don’t trust this front office, doesn’t mean I don’t want a top 3 overall picks. Maybe it’ll make it easier on Tim Ruskell. At least no more excuses on making a bad pick.

I agree with your posts here. But my point is that you can aim at all the studs you want, it doesn’t mean that they will be there, wherever you pick. If low draft picks really mattered that much the Lions and Raiders would be the Colts and Patriots. To intentionally sabotage the remainder of the season is 1; unnecessary with this team to assure a top pick 2; more importantly, undermines the entire purpose of taking the field in the first place. We can agree on this, Ruskell is on the hot seat, and I welcome him to leave.