Matt Hasselbeck could be running scout team this week

Post by News Tribune Staff on Nov. 5, 2008 at 1:32 pm with 11 Comments »
November 5, 2008 1:32 pm

In an effort to bring back Matt Hasselbeck slowly, Mike Holmgren said #8 could be running the scout team this week. If that goes well, he will take the next step.

Holmgren sounded more optimistic in this news conference than he has in some time. He sounded like Deion Branch might even be able to play. Branch will test the foot today, and depending on how it reacts tomorrow he could increase his practice time this week.

Pork Chop is hurt. Before you kill him, be honest with yourself. You thought he was going to go down in his first game starting. That he has played this long and played pretty well has been impressive. He has a foot injury. Ray Willis will take the practice reps at RG this week but they are hoping that Chop can play.

Doesn’t sound like Will Heller is going to play; he has not come back well enough from his knee injury. Red Bryant’s high ankle sprain will keep him out for a while, everyone’s recovery is different so they don’t have firm time frame.

Eric is going to blog the rest of the news conference while I go out and see if Hasselbeck is practicing.

1. Ha, you beat me by 2-3 minutes!
    Thanks for the update. I even asked if he was at practice.

2. NickLicatasucks says:

Branch has taken over for Pork Chop as the most injury prone player on the team. At least PC has shown a consistent high level of effort to get onto the field this year. Branch’s sore heel is a really lame injury to keep him out this long. This must be a cover up for this knee needing more time to recover.

Good to hear that Hass is getting after it at some level this week. It’ll be good to hear how he is doing as an imitator of Chad Pennington.

Ray Willis at RG this week, interesteing. I wonder if because of Ray’s tackle skills he’ll be better suited to play against a 3-4 defensive scheme than a 4-3. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Good to hear about Kerney. Now I cross my fingers that he doesn’t get an infection up there…a la Tom Brady and the Cleveland Browns.

I’m sure that Red Tubbs will come back from his high ankle injury faster than a “skill player” as those guys seem to be hampered more by that type of injury than interior players. We’ll see. I guess we’ll see Howard Green more this week.

3. luckman15 says:

Can someone get some juice on the possibility of DeAngelo Hall coming to Seattle? Is it a possibility?

4. ShermanPilliams says:

That’s the first thing I thought when I heard that Hall was out in Oakland. I know he’s not necessarily a very good character guy, and I doubt he views one 2-6 team as a whole lot better than another 2-6 team, but Oakland is where players go to die! Mora Jr. has the established relationship with him and could go a long way in convincing and containing him. With all of that being said, I’m sure the amount of money Hall would demand will stop it from going down.

5. mocarob says:

Things are finally looking better.
    Matt & Branch. Weave & Lofa.
    Time to make a run.

6. spunjdog says:

I can’t imagine Ruskell ever signing Hall. And if you have to have a 1st round CB getting burned, at least Kelly Jennings is a good guy. Hall has always been overrated – he’s just now being exposed.

7. Hawkfan1951 says:

DeAngelo Hall may be worth a look… Remember what the Raiders did to Randy Moss…. whatever happened to him??? =!)

GO HAWKS!!

8. freedom_X says:

Talk about the grass is greener on the other side – any anti-Kelly Jennings poster who wants to bring in Hall should stop posting when drunk. From Sportsline.com:

“In his eight games in Oakland, Hall was beaten 40 times for 552 yards on 66 passes thrown his way, according to data compiled by STATS LLC. He gave up more yards than any defender this season and was tied for third worst in catches allowed.”

And some of you actually want to bring this guy in. Incredible.

9. RoloBeast says:

I think Ruskell was the Falcons GM when they drafted DeAngelo Hall. And I don’t recall Hall having any on or off-field issues. There was the incident when Hall berated Petrino during a game. But could you blame Hall, Petrino eventually quit on them.
    Could the “bad coaching” excuse apply to Hall? If you look at the bigger picture; bad coaching, on a really bad team, with a much worse owner.
    And how much worse can it really get if Seattle signed Hall?
    Keep this in mind, Hall and Kerney was with Mora & Ruskell back in 2004 when the Falcons were a Top 5 defense. Halls performance went down after Ruskell & Mora left Atlanta.

10. livinglargent says:

Ruskell as ASSISTANT GM at Atlanta if I recall correctly. Look how our defense has regressed since he’s been here. If you’re going to credit Atlanta’s success to Ruskell you’re smoking dope.

11. RoloBeast says:

Seattle defense could have been a lot worse if not for Ruskell. Remember Seattle’s LB corp? Chad Brown, Anthony Simmons, & Orlando Huff. Or the D-line; Lamar King, Rashard Moore, & Cedric Woodard?