Lawrence Jackson sensitive about his “benching”

Post by News Tribune Staff on Oct. 29, 2008 at 7:42 pm with 8 Comments »
October 29, 2008 7:42 pm

I spoke with Lawrence Jackson for a few minutes this afternoon, and the thing that stuck out the most about the interview was that he does not seem to think he was benched. When I asked him about it, he said it was not as bad as it was made out to be, that the coaches told him he needs to work on some small things. (I didn’t really ever think anybody ever gave it extensive coverage where Jackson got a bunch of criticism. I thought it was more that a rookie was learning the NFL, being unproductive and lost his spot.) Then another reporter joined the discussion and asked the same question, and Jackson essentially said he wasn’t benched. He said he knew it was coming because he wasn’t playing well but he didn’t view it as getting benched. Therefore, he said, he is not viewing this as a chance to get back his starting job.

He did not want to reveal what Mike Holmgren, John Marshall or Dwaine Board said to him in their meetings to inform him that he was losing his starting gig, but he did say he has picked up a few things in the past two weeks that he has not been able to pick up from the beginning of training camp.

“I thought that I knew what pass rushing was all about,” Jackson said. “The last few weeks, I have been pulling little stuff here, little stuff there. But the last couple weeks, in terms of seeing stuff and doing it, I felt more complete. Now it is about going out there and doing it. You can go out there and rush the passer and not necessarily know how to rush the passer at the elite level. I felt like watching Pat and the other guys really let me hone in on the art.”

Notes from practice
  1. rramstad says:

I’m confused. The previous blog post indicates he was working with the first string today, and that Holmgren was counting on him to draw double teams. Now this article says he’s benched?

2. rramstad says:

Yep, not smoking crack, on this same blog Eric said less than four hours ago that Lo-Jack was part of the first team defense today. I am completely confused.

3. seahawkbryce says:

Duh! Hey guys Frank obviously is talking about when LoJack lost his starting job to Tapp a few weeks ago. He probably just got a chance to interview Jackson today for the 1st time since being benched and Frank found this particularly interesting so he posted about it.

4. Golfhack1396 says:

Patrick Kerney has an injured shoulder. Just like Frank said in a previous post and that he won’t practice and may be out for Sunday against Philadelphia. Therefore, Tapp moves to the left end position in practice with Kerney out and Jackson takes the right end. 2+2=4 people. It’s really not that difficult to figure out.

5. TechWorlds says:

He is soo sensi poo.

6. All I know is that LoJack really needs to step up.

Even if he could manage to be a Bryce Fischer type of DE during the ’05 season, I would be fine with that.

Solid DE against the run and an okay pass rusher with about 7-9 sacks per year. Not necessarily a Pro Bowler, but a productive NFL player.

I think he can/will do it.

7. Jacksons best days are ahead of him. I’ll cut him some rookie slack.

Checked out an interesting book at the library–“Under the Helmet” by Michael Strahan. Tells about the game in Seattle when their field goal kicker misses three chances to win the game. Pretty funny from a Seahawk fans point of view.

Also tells about the fight between Jeremy Shockey and Brandon Short when Shockey was a rookie.

In a surprise, it also tells why Strahan called Donovan McNabb the day before an Eagles/Giants game.

8. nighthawk2 says:

I don’t know what “LoJack” is other than a vehicle theft recovery system, but Lawrence Jackson has sucked to this point. And he doesn’t think he’s been benched. Yo Lawrence, denial is not a river in Egypt. You have sucked to this point, ergo, you are no longer starting. That, by definition, is being benched. You are not injured, you were starting but are not, and now are because the one DE playing well is injured. Jackson, Tapp and now the suddenly activated Atkins = no pass rush. I hope Marshall has decided that yes, linebackers can rush the passer if done at the right moment. Otherwise McNabb will have time to shave and order a pizza in the pocket.