Statistics for the Buffalo game

Post by News Tribune Staff on Sep. 2, 2008 at 9:25 am with 28 Comments »
September 2, 2008 9:25 am

Rather than putting up preseason statistics, I am putting up last season’s regular-season stats for both teams:

2007 Stats Seahawks Bills
Record 10-6 7-9
Total Yards Gained 5,583 4,434
Total Offense (NFLRank) 348.9 (9) 277.1 (30)
Rush Offense 101.2 (20) 112.5 (15)
Pass Offense 247.8 (8) 164.6 (30)
Points Per Game 24.6 (t9) 15.8 (30)
Total Yards Allowed 5,149 5,807
Total Defense 321.8 (15) 362.9 (31)
Rush Defense 102.8 (12) 124.6 (25)
Pass Defense 219.1 (19) 238.4 (29)
Points Allowed/Game 18.2 (t6) 22.1 (18)
Possession Avg. 29:49 28:51
Sacked/Yds. Lost 36/217 26/208
Sacks Made/Yds. Lost 45/303 26/208
Interceptions By 20 18
Penalties/Yds. 59/428 78/763
Punts/Avg. 86/40.0 81/40.8
Turnover Differential +10 (5) +9 (t6)

1. JoeHawk51 says:

If we are ever going to win a super bowl we have to be able to win on the road. We understand the great value of home field advantage and momentum. Having a bye in week 4 is not optimal, but if we can get off to a fast start with a 3-0 game record and a 2-0 conf record that can set the tone for the rest of the year.

I tip my hat and raise my beer to the whole team and wish them a safe and fun filled year! GO HAWKS!

2. The more interesting stats are Seahawks on the road, and Bills at home. I want to know if we have a road defense this year.

3. madpunter88 says:

Amazing that they were 30th in offense and 31st in defense and still won 7 games last year.

4. JMSeaTown says:

The Hawks are 1 pt. underdogs + Bills o-line still not in contractural agreement + me being in Vegas for my 22nd b-day = a nice week 1 bonus/b-day check. Can’t wait for the season to finally be starting, go hawks!!

5. JMSeaTown says:

oh and by the way the Hawks have been a .500 team on the road over the last 5 years and only lost 2 home games in the last 5 years, .500 on the road this year and only 1 loss at home puts us at 11-5…

6. HawkFromDay1 says:

The running game is going to be huge. Buffalo couldn’t stop the run last year, and there’s no indication that has changed.

Should be a great first test for Solari and the re-vamped O-line. 130+ rushing yards and this sucker is over.

7. chuck_easton says:

1 point underdogs shows just how close the odds makers think this game likely will be. A team usually starts at an automatic 3 point favorite position at home before things such as record, performance, strength of team and such are taken into consideration.

So the Seahawks have already knocked 2 points of the base starting line.

8. JoeHawk51 says:

FYI, DJ Hacket maybe ready for the Panther opener? He has missed all perseason with a bad toe. I think Timmay was right on this one. Nice guy but injury prone.

The combination of a good run game and production from the TE spot, should give the new WR’s the space to make some catches. The Bills are a mess on the O line and are down to one TE. Is it Sunday yet???????? Daddy wants his football!

9. mister andersen says:

We have looked pretty ugly on road-openers before, so I hope they look better this year. Remember, Preseason means nothing….thats why the Patriots were 0-4. I just hope our recievers can get open, or this could be ugly for us.

By next week they’ll be shopping to bring in a solid veteran reciever, just wait and see.

10. mister andersen says:

Welp, we missed out on Ashley Lelie already:

11. tmcclurkan says:

Hawk from Day 1: “no indication that’s changed”? Really? In fact, Buffalo’s D is expected to be much better, with the addition of Marcus Stroud and having Poluzny (sp.) back healthy. They will not be top 10, but probably top 20, so this is no gimme. Particularly with Spencer (and Locklear) having little or no reps with the O-line. Plus, Hasselbeck is likely to be rusty and has had no time with his WRs. This is a winnable ball game, but is no gimme by any means. The line is right

12. tmcclurkan says:

Lelie stinks, and he has always stunk. that’s why he has washed out with 3 teams, each faster than the last. He would NOT be an improvement over what we have. And Holmgren must believe that Branch and Engram are back within a couple of weeks, or I am sure that he and Ruskell would do something.

13. From the Not That It Really Matters Department:

Las Vegas odds, or the point spread, is set up to keep the betting even, and it’s not a prediction of the outcome of a game.

If everybody in Seattle started putting money on the ‘Hawks as 1 point underdogs, the odds makers would soon change the odds to favor Seattle, so that people would then start spending some money on the Bills. As long as the betting is even, Las Vegas makes money because the losers of the bet supply the money to pay the winners, and LV scoops a little off of every wager.

14. JoeHawk51 says:

mister anderson says “I just don’t see how Holmgren can stand by with this WEAK reciever corp. He has to be PI$$ED with Ruskell!”

First you say the preseason means nothing, then you slap our WR’s around. What are you basing your judgment on then? I think we will have a very productive stable of recievers this year. You may be right, or I may be right, nobody will know until the games take place.

It is a team sport so if the line can not pass protect or we can not run the ball we will not be able to pass effectivly even if we have the best WR’s in the NFL playing for us.

So what you have to ask yourself mister anderson, is how will this team play together as a unit and how well will the WR’s do thier assigments. In my judgement, they will make us proud.

15. Buffalo weather for Sunday:
    Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Highs in the upper 70s.

Ralph Wilson stadium is open, not much roof, like the Steelers stadium. Starting at 10 am and finishing at 1 pm, Hawks should be OK temperature-wise. Humidity should be around 33% and wind in the 10 mph range, probably a little more gusty in the west end than the east end of the stadium.

16. Tigloki says:

@Hawk Blogger: Thanks for the link. If Hill starts meeting his potential and his own goals, I fear for opposing passers!

@mister anderson and JoeHawk51: JoeHawk51 is dead right. We won’t know until we know, and we don’t know yet. That said, I am extremely optimistic. Everyone talks about Holmgren’s QB savvy and I say that you can’t be that good at working with QBs without more than a little eye for receiving talent, and he’s been pretty high on this young group of receivers for quite awhile. He must see something he likes or they would have moved in free agency or the draft to get someone else. The fact that they didn’t find anyone they considered better should tell you something. Ruskell and Holmgren both know more than a thing or two about football talent, and if they are confident enough with this group to pass on the vets and rookies available is good enough for me.
    Are they young? Yes.
    Are they untested? Largely.
    Are they good enough to be NFL players? Obviously.
    If they are open, can Matt get them the ball? Duh!
    If they are open, and Matt gets them the ball, can they catch it? So far, that seems to be the case.
    So the main question seems to be, “Can they get open?” Let’s watch the games and see, then make some judgments.

17. chuck_easton says:

mister andersen,

The only one that seems to be upset with the WR corps is you. You have wanted the team to go sign ANY washed up reject from anywhere all season.

Let’s see, you wanted Horn, Lelie, and just about anyone.

Well, the team seems to be happy with the receivers they have. If you’re not, go root for someone else.

Oh, and what happened to your fearless prediction that the team would sign someone’s castoff WR once cuts were made?

18. mister andersen says:

Hey JoeHawk and Chuck….all you have got to know is that 1 Rookie receiver in the last 10 years has had a 1000 yards + season in his rookie year.

After Nate? They are all rookies….that doesn’t look so good for Matt.

Why was Engram is best receiver the last few years? He has experience and knows how to get open, find holes in seams, etc.

Trust me bro, I bleed Seahawks Blue….but it seems like Ruskell is ignoring this, kind of like happened at TE for the two years after they released Stevens. And we know how that worked out.

19. And Stevens has been OH so good, here or anywhere else he has been. that is such a great comparison. NOT.

Engram and Branch will not be out for the whole season so they don’t want to loose a guy for the future that we get experience this year and be the guy sooner rather than later.

why are you set that you have to have a 1000yd reciever. when Baltimore won they didn’t have one. As long as someone, anyone, steps up and makes the catch when we need it – who cares who it is. or if it is the same guy as last week or last quarter!

20. I stand corrected. That season Ismail had 1059 recieving yards as the leading receiver!

21. Well… I guess time for debate is over, right?? These are our WR’s, lets see what they do with the live rounds…

My guess: Taylor impresses and Kent makes a big play…

22. reshumate says:

No reasoning with a disbeliever. First off, none of the guys are rookies, they just haven’t played much in the regular season. There is a HUGE difference between a drafted guy coming in and a guy who has been learning the system for two training camps.

Second, it’s a SYSTEM. Favre only had Driver as a vet last year. Jennings was in his second season, and the rest were drafted rookies. If you know football, you’ll know the WCO has little to do with overall receiver experience. Bringing in a guy who has never played in it would be WORSE. You really think a Lelie has any more ability than the guys we have? Why has he been cut from 3 teams?

23. mister andersen says:

This just in….Kent and Taylor have NEVER played in the regular season.

I am just trying to be realistic here, I think you guys have been drinking the blue cool-aide.

Trust me, I HOPE I am wrong about this, but I think putting so much responsibility on such inexperienced players. The WCO has produced pretty good recievers over the years….but I would bet money none of them were playing in their first NFL season.

24. Thanks for the weather update, klm008. Neutral weather definitely can’t hurt the Hawks. One correction, though: The game, being on the East Coast, actually goes from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

25. chuck_easton says:

This Just in mister andersn,

Taylor had 5 count em, 5 catches in regular season games last year and he played in 8 regular season games last year.

If you are going to continue to show your ignorance you might wish to check facts first.

26. mister andersen says:

Sorry, that was supposed to read Kent and Payne. I hope I’m wrong.

27. nighthawk2 says:

There are no rookie receivers on this 53 man roster other than TIGHT END John Carlson. As pointed out, not having regular season game experience does not equate to being a rookie. All of these three young receivers have a season in this system, plus this year’s camp and preseason. The only question I have about them is Payne’s ribs.

Lelie has WCO experience in Denver but he’s done nothing but squander opportunities in his career. I for one would not have wanted him coming here. Now if Branch had been put on IR, I’d have been in favor of signing Joe Horn to a 1 year deal. But I don’t think it’s an absolute necessity by any means. The Bills secondary, outside of McGee and perhaps Whitner, is nothing to write home about.

Rather than receivers, my concern is the o-line. Stroud is going to be a factor. He’s listed as their LDT so he’ll line up opposite Sims (shudder) if that’s the case. Sims and Spencer’s failures last year are still fresh in memory and with Spencer coming off an injury and missed time, I kind of wish they’d start Vallos. The idea of those two trying move Stroud out or keep him out of the backfield is part of what is keeping me up at this ungodly hour. We’re also down to a second string ROT who hasn’t started a regular season game either, if I recall correctly.

However, if we can break on top and stay on top, and force the Bills out of Jauron’s comfort zone of just running the ball, the Bills are in trouble. It’s not that they lack talent for throwing the ball, they just don’t do it much or practice it much. I read the Bills fans complaints on message boards and blogs about Jauron’s conservative style (like a lot of head coaches) but they think he goes way overboard. It’s hard to disagree, Trent Edwards confidence in the passing game may still be lacking because they just don’t practice as much as they perhaps should. (BTW, it’s good to see former Seahawk Gibran Hamdan on the Bills 53 man roster as their 3rd QB, he’s a good guy who deserves a shot in this league, one of three ex-Seahawks on the Bills along with K Rian Lindell and P Brian Moorman). So playing catch up is not going to be easy for them.