A few things before this afternoon’s practice

Post by News Tribune Staff on Sep. 1, 2008 at 11:10 am with 35 Comments »
September 1, 2008 11:10 am

I wanted to throw a few things out there to chew on before this afternoon’s practice:

1) After watching some of the UW game, it became readily apparent that the Huskies’ corps of young receivers was not able to get open against Oregon, which was part of the reason the Ducks were able to stack so many players in the box and dare UW to throw it. How does this relate to the Seahawks? They too have a bunch of young receivers who will have to prove they can get open. Nate Burleson has shown he can do it, but have any of the others without Mike Holmgren intentionally force-feeding them to get touches?

2) With Rocky Bernard suspended, it will mean additional time for Craig Terrill and presumably Red Bryant, who the coaches would like to work into the rotation more now that he is back. I spent two series of Friday’s game exclusively watching Red. On one, he got absolutely pancaked by the Raiders’ guard on a play where Darren McFadden went for a big gain. But he did a very nice job on some of the other players, getting into the backfield and stuffing one play, holding his position along the line and preventing McFadden from cutting back on another play.

Practice is at 1:30 today. There will be a lot of things to cover, including Matt Hasselbeck returning to practice, the suspensions, the wide receivers, the running backs and an amalgam of other topics.

Miscellaneous
  1. There must be something a little more wrong with Matt’s back then theyre telling. He wouldn’t have been out of games and practice for 2-3weeks if it was a minor ‘tight’ back.

2. Frank Hughes:How does this relate to the Seahawks? They too have a bunch of young receivers who will have to prove they can get open. Nate Burleson has shown he can do it, but have any of the others without Mike Holmgren intentionally force-feeding them to get touches?

3. tmcclurkan says:

Stupid plan, earther. For a number of reasons. Frank’s comment is on point.

4. optimistichawkfan says:

I agree with your premise of the inexperienced WR’s…will they make plays or disappear. My hope is that the OL and running game is enough improved to keep defenses guessing. Overall the Hawks have many more weapons than SA/Momo and an inexperienced Weaver (retired Strong).

5. hawk9680 says:

Frank Times is reporting Deion may play. Can you try and find out if that’s true and if he practiced today.

6. tmcclurkan:Stupid plan, earther.

What plan?

For a number of reasons.

After you tell me what plan you’re talking about then please cite these reasons.

Frank’s comment is on point.

What point is that?

7. If Wahle can neutralize Stroud, Hawks can 4-wide the Bill’s and get some good matchups with the rooks – maybe better chance of getting open.

8. Trust me, the Seahawks receivers will be able to get open. The biggest problems will be stopping Marshawn Lynch without Bernard and getting up @ 5:30 AM Hopefully, they don’t sleep walk through this game.

9. RichmondHawk says:

“What on earth does this mean? It sounds like your citing the possibility that the rooks can only get open if Holmgren force feeds them the football. Well, if that’s the case, then the solution is obvious. Force feed them the football.”

FH makes a good point, players don’t get the ball because they’re not open. Its more to do with the ability of the reciever to run good routes and create enough seperation for the QB to have confidence in them. You’re probably looking at totals like this for the game at the WR position: Burleson 6 catches, Taylor 2 cathes, Kent 2 catches, and Payne 0 catches.

Burleson’s best year as Hawk was last year with 50 catches so yeah be real worried until Branch and Engram get back in the lineup.

10. klm008, The chances that you will see the Hawks run any four wide formations on Sunday are slim to none. They only have four healthy receivers.
    I would bet that the Hawks are going to try to play ball-control offense with an emphasis on the running game and will actually play two tight ends more than they will any three-wide sets.
    It will be a good test to see if our running game and offensive line really is improved. If it is, then it bodes well for this season. If we struggle offensively this weekend, it isn’t the end of the world, but it is a sign that we are not as far along as it looked in the parts of the preseason when our starters were in the game.

11. RichmondHawk says:

“If Wahle can neutralize Stroud, Hawks can 4-wide the Bill’s and get some good matchups with the rooks – maybe better chance of getting open.”

I think running inside in this game is out of the question but look for the Hawks to pull Wahle to the outside a la Hutchdingelberry.

12. RichmondHawk says:

Seattle will get creative in this game to overcome the weaknesses at WR. Look for passes to TE, TE’s like Putzier lining up as a WR on some plays, swing passes to the FB, passes to the RB and screen passes. But I think the biggest thing they’ll try and do is establish the running game early and hopefully get Duckett going inside.

13. It’s a waste of time comparing the pathetic Husky team to the Seahawks. Do we have young, unproven WRs? Yes. Do we have a young QB? Nope. A coach with an unproven offense? Nope. A complete lack of running game? I don’t think so based on what I’ve seen.

We also have weapons at the TE spot and plus receivers out of the backfield.

Will it impact the game that our starting flanker is unproven? Probably. Is his performance a key to the game? Not even close.

14. RichmondHawk says:

“I spent two series of Friday’s game exclusively watching Red. On one, he got absolutely pancaked by the Raiders’ guard on a play where Darren McFadden went for a big gain. But he did a very nice job on some of the other players, getting into the backfield and stuffing one play, holding his position along the line and preventing McFadden from cutting back on another play.”

The play you are referring to happened at 10:41 in 1st quarter. I don’t know if you watched the game live or on the tube. But if you watch that play closely he stood up the guard and Hawthorne ran into his back; thus, causing Red to go down and look like he got pancaked. On the other big McFadden run he went to Red’s side and it was bottled up then cut back to the left for a big run. But then again you’ll be seeing McFadden getting a lot of big runs this year so its nothing to be worried about.

I replayed the game and watched exclusively plays of certain players like Red Bryant. The game he played was average to good but considering he’s a rookie coming off sugery, it was a good 1st game. Initial impression about Red is that he has good feet use his hads well to keep blockers off of him and has solid technique. He has shown he knows the DT position very well; although, he plays somewhat upright. The Green/Bryant combo sounds good though, they need to cut the run deficient DT’s like Terrill right out of the equation.

15. RichmondHawk says:

“Do we have young, unproven WRs?”

Outside of Burleson, the recievers have done squat in the regular season so yeah.

16. Also, there is a much wider talent gap between Duck secondary and Dog receivers than between the secondary of the Bills and Hawk WR’s.

There really wasn’t much that coaching could have done for the Huskies last Saturday, but the ‘Hawk coach’s will be able to use sets and schemes effectively to help the receivers.

I’m concerned, but not worried about our WR’s.

17. RichmondHawk says:

I think we’ll know which running back will start in Buffalo by who starts practicing with the 1st unit. Same goes for Carlson/Heller/Putzier.

18. earther says:

RichmondHawk:FH makes a good point, players don’t get the ball because they’re not open.

Oh baloney. You don’t have a 66% completion rate and lead the entire league in passing if your receivers aren’t getting open. Especially if you’re forcing your throws. What you get instead are a whole lot of incompletions with an interception thrown in here and there for good measure.

Burleson 6 catches, Taylor 2 cathes, Kent 2 catches, and Payne 0 catches.

19. sfhawkfan says:

Actually the key to the first few weeks and maybe the season for the offense is the ability of Kent to stretch the field. With the wide outs banged up defenses will crowd the line daring us to pass unless we have ways of stretching the field. Formations can do that horizontally, but we need a legit deep threat to do it vertically. This’ll help with YAC for underneath recievers/TEs and open up space for the running game.

20. halfemptyfilms says:

The Hawk receivers are young, no doubt about that, but Burleson can have a break out year and he knows it. Kent has proven that he can get open, and Taylor has everything Ruskell has been looking for in a wide receiver since he got here. Also, don’t ignore Payne who has been playing with bad ribs for a few weeks and still managed to make the team. We have no seen him at full speed all preseason, and we have not seen him play with Matt. I think he is going to surprise some people.

My god, are people here really comparing a team that will be fortunate to go .500 in the Pac 10 to a perennial playoff team in the NFL? These two teams have nothing in common, with the exception they are both based in Seattle. It is a useless analogy being perpetuated by people who can’t see a difference between the two. Next, please

22. uk_Hawk says:

Frank,

From what you’ve seen of John Carlson so far, do you think he’s ready to be the key starter at tight end everyone is hoping?

23. RichmondHawk says:

“Oh baloney. You don’t have a 66% completion rate and lead the entire league in passing if your receivers aren’t getting open.”

I don’t really know what this has to do with recievers like Taylor and Obo, now injured, not being able to get catches in pre-season. It has nothing to do with Hass/Frye/Seneca/Branch/Engram only the young recievers.

“Burleson isn’t going to get 6 catches when he’s only in there for one or two series in every game.”

Good point but that’s with Engram and Branch in the lineup. But I guess you think that Taylor, Kent and Payne are all better than Burleson.

It’ll be great if Taylor/Kent/Payne did really really good but we need to put down that kool-aid. Getting a few catches in pre-season is a lot different than going against 1st teamers in the regular season when the games count. There’s a good reason to be skeptical until proven otherwise.

24. RichmondHawk says:

Going by the latest update Yesterday on the roster at seahawks.com, Heller, Morris and Tapp are starters. That could change though.

25. nighthawk2 says:

I agree there won’t be a lot of, if any, 4 receiver sets early in the season. Payne has been playing with cracked ribs so we really have 3 healthy receivers at the moment. So perhaps Carlson is a bigger part of the passing game in Buffalo than he might be otherwise, and yes a lot of passes to the backs. The return of the screen pass to this offense will be a wonderful thing.

26. “Starter” is a relative term the way the Hawks rotate players… especially on defense.

Now, to anyone that has followed the Seahawks our WR situation is an area of concern. Everyone will be keying on that aspect on Sunday and the young WRs can go a long way to allay some fears about that aspect of our offense.

Hass is fine. Seriously, I will eat some serious crow on that if he shows any ill-effects from his “injury.” Hass had nothing to prove in preseason and the whole “he needs to develop a rapport with the young WRs” argument doesn’t hold water since it wasn’t that important to our HOF coach.

If we can loosen up the Buffalo D with a couple deep passes, we’ll roll the Bills. IF Hass can’t shake off the rust OR or WRs can’t get open and we have to face 8 in the box all day the game will be a lot closer and come down to said HOF coach not being too stubborn and making some creative adjustments.

Effectively running screen passes will be another key to the offensive game plan.

27. The return of the screen pass that works would be a wonderful thing. I’ve seen it not work in PRESEASON, I just hope they can put it together for the real thing. Holmgren has called the screen pass a few times in the red zone but with no payoff. I think that we will see several sets of Heller and Carlson or Heller and Putzier for our three and four WR sets in Buffalo.

28. We would be fools not to be worried about the receivers.We have Matt that will help alot.but these rookies have to step up

29. RichmondHawk says:

“The return of the screen pass that works would be a wonderful thing. I’ve seen it not work in PRESEASON, I just hope they can put it together for the real thing.”

You haven’t seen it because they don’t want their opponents getting any game film on that scheme. The same can be said with a lot of other plays. Its something they’ll use when teams start blitzing. Last year they should’ve had it in the gamebook.

30. YeeHaawks says:

We’re comparing college freshman and sophmores to NFL Players???? Rookies or not they are far, far better than these kids at hte UW. nuff said!

31. earther says:

RichmondHawk:I don’t really know what this has to do with recievers like Taylor and Obo, now injured, not being able to get catches in pre-season.

Neither do I. In fact I haven’t got the foggiest idea what you’re talking about.

But I guess you think that Taylor, Kent and Payne are all better than Burleson.

O.K… I think I understand a little better now. I’m talking to a child.

Look, I was talking about the pre-season. So was Frank when he mentioned Holmgren force feeding receivers. Remember? The remark that started this whole discussion? To be honest I don’t have any idea how one goes about evaluating the performance of receivers in the regular season when it hasn’t even started yet.

32. RichmondHawk says:

“O.K… I think I understand a little better now. I’m talking to a child.”

Tsk, tsk….do you always throw a tantrum when nobody agrees with you? …talk about childish.

“They were getting open in the pre-season, including Taylor who admittedly didn’t have any catches until Holmgren decided to force the issue in game 3. The stats support that fact. I will contend that the pre-season performances dictate that it is likely that they will be able to do the same once the season starts. However nobody can say for sure one way or another until they actually see it happening. On the other hand, assuming they can’t is a much bigger long shot than assuming they can.”

Yes I agree with you, every reciever is open on every single play….geez. Frye might’ve felt a connection with Jordan Kent and kept going back there but there is something to be said for grabbing the bull by the horn. Does the QB need to look at Taylor 20 times next week and hit him that one time he’s open? You either have it or you don’t. Really I don’t where you get this “force-feeding” thing because its not going to work but then again your argument doesn’t make much sense.

33. NorthIdahoHawk says:

I would love to see BUF put 8 in the box against Hass. Love it. Behind Manning, he’s best reader of D’s and the ability to audible out of the called play into a play that will work against what the D is trying to do. And since the hot read on that would be the outside slant, I think even our “rookie” retread WRs could manage to run that route to daylight. Hell, I could probably get 3-4 catches out of the slot against that alignment and I’m old, fat and slow.

On second thought, I’ve got BUF’s D/ST in my money fantasy league so I hope they don’t put 8 in the box.

34. wabubba68 says:

I’ve got a suspicion Branch will actually play v. Buffalo. I heard him this afternoon on KJR and he seemed to be playing it very coy about his health…I think Holmgren has a card up his sleeve. :-)

35. earther says:

wabubba68:I’ve got a suspicion Branch will actually play v. Buffalo.

I think you’re right. I really can’t see them charging headlong into the regular season with only four healthy receivers.