Quick practice roundup

Post by News Tribune Staff on Oct. 4, 2007 at 3:46 pm with 14 Comments »
October 4, 2007 3:46 pm

I have to finish the story on the running game, which I will post later, but here is a quick rundown of practice.

Mo Morris did not practice. Will Heller practiced. Rocky Bernard was dressed but had limited (very limited) participation.

Jordan Babineaux was the best player on this day, breaking up three plays by Seneca Wallace and involved in a few other.

Deon Grant had an incredible one-handed (left hand) interception.

Newly signed Kyle Williams blew up Brandon Mebane during one drill, prompting Pork Chop to run over and give Williams the customary jump-and-chest-bump.

Kelly Jennings made a really nice play to break up a pass between Seneca and Bobby Engram, earning a lot of praise from the coaching staff, including Holmgren.

Courtney Taylor had one very impressive catch along the sideline, going up and over the defender. I think he caught it and kept his feet in, but a coach along the sidelines ruled he was out. I think the coach did it to make the first D feel better, selling out a rookie, but the gragarious Taylor knew he caught it.

Brian Russell and CJ Wallace were running sprints after practice.

By the way, I asked Russell what he said to Trent Dilfer during that play. He said a bunch of people have asked him so guessed that it was shown on TV. He said he and Dilfer were tight when they were both in Cleveland and so he knows how to push Dilfer’s buttons, but he didn’t want to reveal what he said.

Notes from practice
  1. aelliott11 says:

lol… whatever B-russ said, it made Trent turn around a few steps later and go after him with a retort. Usually smack-talk has an immediate “ignore/reply” aspect to it. But this was clearly Trent walking a few steps, then turning quickly and going back while shouting something. Must have been good, esp since Trent is a real classy guy. Just hope it wasn’t mean-spirited.

2. I was just watching videos on nfl.com and noticed an interesting piece of editing done by the NFL. If you watched the green bay locker room video a few days ago after Brett Favre threw his record breaking TD pass then you probably heard his post-game speech where he clearly says:

“I love playing on this team so much.. I really do. And lets keep this shit going!”

Well if you were to check back today, the video has now been edited(poorly might I add) so that Favre says “And lets keep it going!”

Kind of weird that the NFL would do this, seeing as what a monumental occasion it was. You can only imagine the emotion that Favre had inside him at that moment, so who honestly cares if he says "shit" in the heat of the moment? I’m not entirely sure why, but this really bothers me.

Here are links to both the edited and un-edited videos. His talk comes at the 1:15 mark of the unedited video and at the 2:30 minute of the edited one.

Unedited: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d802e9623

Edited: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d802f0aa6

3. IDHawkman says:

Well it is very clear that Bruss “does” know how to push his buttons because he hit the right one on that exchange. I love how Bruss keeps walking away like he doesn’t even know Dilfer turned around… CLASSIC!!!

4. hawkowl says:

“Jordan Babineaux was the best player on this day, breaking up three plays by Seneca Wallace…”

Interesting wording. Babineaux broke up three “plays”, not passes. hmmm. :)

5. Tatonka says:

Frank,

Not sure if you’ve answered this yet so if not, who do you think they’re going to activate from the PS for this game with Pearman out?

6. ballgame says:

tatonka-they signed hobbs to take pearman’s spot

7. Tatonka says:

My bad!!! Anyway to retract my question before anyone else sees it???

8. jverhei says:

you break into the TNT and unplug the server….

9. lemonverbena says:

how did Pork Chop not pull a hamstring doing the jump-chest-bump?

EASY, big guy…

10. mibuttiznum says:

very cool. It makes me forget last years secondary much quicker than anticipated.

11. stormshadow says:

I’d hate to be on the receiving end of a Pork Chop chest-bump….

12. Tatonka says:

jverhei,

I took your advice and it obviously didn’t work….I’m scheduled to be arraigned sometime later this am!!!

Don’t forget to write… Tatonka (#23940679)

13. PapaHawk says:

Why is Shaun Alexander still on the injury report as “Full Participation”. Why even list anyone here. Isn’t it assumed that if you are not “limited” or listed as injured, that you’d have full participation? There are plenty of guys out there who at nicked up with one thing or another who participate fully…why only Shaun listed? Why even at all? I’m still trying to get the feel for these new injury updates in the league this year.

14. SupaFreak says:

Shaun isn’t just nicked up, he is wearing a cast and has a broken bone in his wrist, so of course, he is on the injury reports! There may be days when it is too sore to practice, but he would play. It would be good to know if the injury is steadily getting better, so he is able to practice consistently, or if it’s bothering him enough to keep him out of practice and a maybe for the games.