Holmgren provides one last update

Post by News Tribune Staff on Oct. 27, 2006 at 1:38 pm with 15 Comments »
October 27, 2006 1:38 pm

Coach Mike Holmgren has finished speaking with reporters following practice today. The highlights, plus other information from today: RT Sean Locklear suspended one game for violating terms of the NFL’s personal-conduct policy; Tom Ashworth named to replace Locklear in the lineup; WR Bobby Engram worked with the scout team today, but he is still tiring too easily and more tests are planned for Monday; despite previous reports, Holmgren was not comfortable saying Engram has Graves’ disease, although he did not rule it out; LG Floyd Womack practiced again and is on target to be ready next week; DT Marcus Tubbs practiced with the starters and appears ready to play; LB D.D. Lewis missed practice again with that turf-toe condition; and new SS Jordan Babineaux made some great plays today, at one point batting a ball and making a diving interception. We’ll see if that carries over to Sunday. On a side note, coaches remained in close communication with the demoted Michael Boulware on the field. They are not giving up on him. They want him to bounce back.

Audio Files
  1. GladiatorHawk says:

Sando, Do you have any experience as an offensive lineman?

You may be needed. Missing players on the offense is getting so bad its laughable.

2. Glad to hear about Tubbs. We sure need him against Larry Johnson. I’m sure the guy blocking him will wish he wasn’t healthy.

3. PapaHawk says:

Is it just me, or is Tubbs turning into an impact player? I know stats don’t tell the story of the interior d-line, but it sure seems like Tubbs gets a good push and has the quickness to make a play once in a while. He’s no Cortez Kennedy, but having a big man with talent could mean a lot to the team. A Shaun Rogers… Is it just me or does it seem we play against top tier d-tackles every week? Until this one…

4. roddychops says:

glad to hear they’re not giving up on boulware.

coach needed to make a statement this week and from mike’s description of practice, it sounds like babineaux is psyched and ready.

but i like boulware, and he’s made significant contributions from the day he arrived.

he needed a wake-up call (the entire D needed a wake up call), but he’s got too many gifts to be tossed aside. sounds like the coaches are treating him with respect and patience and i love to hear that. he’ll be back and strong.

prediction: boulware causes fumble on punt return coverage.

that would be sweet.

5. Anybody else feel really bad for Bobby E? I hope he feels well soon for his own sake, irregardless of how much the team misses him.

6. drmossguy says:

In case anyone else wants more information regarding turf toe:

And Graves Disease (Bobby Engram):

Doc Out.

7. So when the Hawks go to 5 defensive backs — is it Boulware who comes in with Babineax sliding to a CB position — or is it Jennings who comes in?

If it’s the latter, then in what situations will Boulware get on the field at all on defense?

8. MagooGirl says:

pdway, I think I recall Sando saying that in nickel packages Babs will slide back to his normal role with Boulware coming back in at safety. I don’t know if that’s changed or not. Maybe Mike saw something at practice today that will clarify things.

9. badcat63 says:

Mike Sando,

This probably should have been posted on the article about Todd Weiner cashing in in Atlanta but I will ask here.

How many and who of the Hawks are UFA or RFA next year? I believe the list includes Josh Brown, Marcus Trufant (SP?), Tobeck, Gray, J. Stevens etc. How much are the Hawks below cap now, this year?

Why can’t the Hawks sign J. Brown now to a LT contract? Hasn’t he more than proven his worth? (Detroit and St. Louis this year or we are 2 – 4 instead of 4 – 2.) Why let good cap money remain idle? Any other Hawks worth re-signing now?

EVERY team in the league has $ but I don’t see us using ours to help secure the future when possible like with J. Brown.

GO SEAHAWKS

10. We have run the list on the blog before. I’m slammed at the moment and don’t have time to dredge it up. Josh Brown and Jerramy Stevens are on that list. Floyd Womack too. Robbie Tobeck and Chris Gray. Those are off the top of my head. … I would not assume that Boulware is part of the nickel or dime defenses, but we’ll find out for sure Sunday.

11. badcat63 says:

Thanks Mike. Sorry I missed the list before.

GO SEAHAWKS

12. PapaHawk says:

I think Babs was part of the dime. We get to see Jennings in the Nickel. I would imagine Boulware being a versatile defender such that you could bring him in as a LB in some 3rd down schemes. I know we aren’t bringing our LB’s off the field much, but we could mix him in there…Prior to the switch we only saw Babs in on Defense in the dime…Something tells me that before the season is over, we’ll see Boulware getting some impact play opportunities. Babs wasn’t on the Defensive field as often as last year given his current role. If he were playing CB he would be in Nickel…

13. MagooGirl says:

Would it be wise to put Boulware in at LB when the team is wanting him to think and react instinctively like a Safety?

14. kjknight3 says:

IMHO, when Boulware played best, or had the most impact was in his first year, was when he was used in nickle and dime situations where he was basically a 4th or 5th LBer, and played close to the line of scrimmage or in the flat.