Almost forgot: Hawks add Hamlin to report

Post by News Tribune Staff on Sep. 27, 2006 at 5:21 pm with 11 Comments »
September 27, 2006 5:21 pm

FS Ken Hamlin missed practice today with a sore shoulder. The team added him to the injury report as probable. I meant to mention this earlier but it’s been a whirlwind day around here.

Injuries
  1. ppjimsmith says:

Mike, the biggest concern in this injury list is Sean Locklear. Can you tell us more about the extent of his injury?

If he is well below 100%, this could be a game changer. Although Holmgren says he expects him to play, he is listed as “questionable,” not “probable.” That leads me to believe that his injury is significant. With Porkchop out, we don’t have any good backup tackles.

2. mikew177 says:

ppjimsmith – You have to be kidding me with your comment. No good backup tackles? We have one of the best right tackles in the league in Tom Ashworth. A guy who’s been on not one but TWO Super Bowl Championship teams. If you’re basing your analysis on the one play that you saw in the Detroit game then you must have just started watching football. Ashworth is a pro and his natural position is at Right Tackle not Left and Tackle is a lot harder to switch from one side to another. I’m tired of everyone trying to play musical chairs with our O-line and not taking into consideration what the players natural talents and positions are. These are very talented and athletic guys. We also have Ray Willis who had an awesome showing in preseason. I’m with everyone as far as being worried seeing all these new young guys in against one of the best defeneses in the league, not to mention the stingiest, but put some faith in the organization that they’re going to bring in quality guys and if you don’t think that Ashworth is going to get it done then you’re saying that we have a $49 million dollar bench warmer (with two Super Bowl Rings) for the next seven years. Sando, what do you think? Give the guys a little credit!

3. stormshadow says:

Umm…Ashworth didn’t get $49 million…not even close. You’re thinking of Burleson for some reason.

4. mikew177 says:

No, I was actually thinking of Hutch’s deal with the Vikings I realized that right after I posted it. Thanks stormshadow. Ashworth signed a five-year, $13 million deal with the Seahawks. Ashworth signed a five-year, $13 million deal with the Seahawks. Sorry about that. Still a lot of money for someone that’s “not very good”

5. mikew177 says:

…I hate computers

6. ppjimsmith says:

I didn’t just start watching football, I’m not basing my opinion of Ashworth on one play, and I don’t appreciate your wise-a$$ comments.

Your comment that “Ashworth is a pro” is very enlightening. Thanks for that deep analysis.

Did you watch Ashworth in the preseason, and with the Patriots last year? If so, perhaps you would see why the Patriots did not even offer him a new contract. They simply released him as a free agent. Top players get traded — not simply released. Ashworth’s slow feet simply don’t do well against speed pass rushers.

7. Yeah , I agree . He doesnt have the speed to pull as much as the hawks request guards to do .

8. sexymarinersfan says:

Seemed to be a hot commodity to me when we signed him. And then after being torched on one play, everybody wants to throw him to the wolves. While I agree that Ashworth and Willis are no Locklear, I think they would do an admirable job filling in until Locklear is hurt. That being said, I’m still optimistic about Sean missing much time over there this week.

I’m glad we’re going into our bye week after this game. We’re gonna need it to heal up some players.

9. PapaHawk says:

Our depth is being tested early in the season. Ashworth isn’t as bad as he looked on that play.

10. Ashworth is a good solid player and teams like the Cardinals and probably the Bears themselves would be happy to start him. Locklear is very athletic and can make blocks that Ashworth and Willis can’t, but Ashworth will not be asked to do the things, Locklear is, we’d see a little more TE help or RB “chipping” on that side. Of course Ogunleye would probably rather see 68 in front of him than 75… Locklear will start, lets hope he can go the distance, so we can see that 4-wide offense some more!!