Fullbacks becoming a memory

Post by News Tribune Staff on Sep. 22, 2006 at 7:36 am with 11 Comments »
September 22, 2006 7:36 am

Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram wrote a story about the trend away from using fullbacks. Seattle is one of a dwindling number of teams that still relies on a traditional fullback. Teams are increasingly using two tight ends. The story notes that William Floyd was the last fullback chosen in the first round (1994, 28th overall, San Francisco).

“Gil Brandt, the former Cowboys player personnel director and an NFL historian, said eight teams used two-tight-end sets at least 45 percent of the time last season, and he expects that number to rise this season. The Cowboys and the San Francisco 49ers are among the teams who are playing more two-tight-end sets this season.” — Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Xs and Os
  1. RDPoulsbo says:

I’m not so sure that it’s about the decline in the position. Sure it’s not like the days when John L. was doing everything, but I think the late trend is more because of the quality at TE as of late.

You have Shockey, Stevens, Gonzalez, Heap, et. al. who have redefined the TE position. With weapons like that, you can’t help but to want to put them out there even though some of them are less gifted at blocking.

It’s all cyclical as they say. Teams with less talent at TE will surely prefer a FB who can run the ball out of the backfield or have more time to see and pick up the blitz unlike a TE.

2. You can’t be putting Stevens, in the same class as Shockey, Gonzalez, and Heap. When he catches more than 4 TD’s in a year or 60 catches get back to me.

Nothing against JS, but he’s not there yet.

3. RDPoulsbo says:

Stevens is in the same mold as those TEs, even if he isn’t as productive as the others. The 1st TE is no longer the block first type of player they used to be. The 2 TE offenses send these guys over the middle to catch balls and the 2nd TE stays in to block is what I mean.

I wished we did more of that last year when the WR corps was depleted with injuries. Shifting Stevens out wide to get the mismatch would have been great. This year it’s different now that the TEs are the ones who are injured.

4. Ravenhawk says:

I want to see Holmgrens “Robust” formation again! LOL

You guys remember the THREE RB sets that Holmgren used when we had Brian Mline @ FB too?

William Floyd being the last FB drafted 1st round is funny because I always thought the next FB on the Seminoles roster was waAy better than Willam Floyd – “Pooh Bear Williams” was a 280lbs FB that ran & blocked like a friggen bowling ball but never hit it in the NFL. Seriously this guy ran like Earl Cambell!

Been having alot of debates lately over J.L. Williams or Mack Strong with friends.

FullBack – The position that faded with the introduction of the Salary Cap.

5. jasonfred says:

Suppose LaDanian Tomlinson thinks Fullbacks aren’t in style? Corey Dillon? Curtis Martin? Eddie George? The game-changing fullbacks, like Lorenzo Neal (who blocked for those listed above), will always be useful. If every team had a Neal, or a Mack Strong on their roster, they’d involve the fullback in the offense.

Of course, since most of the skills line up between the positions of blocking TE and FB, aren’t we just lining the fullback up in a different spot and giving him a receiver’s number? (Jim Kleinsasser comes to mind.) The lines are blurred a bit. I blame the H-Back and Joe Gibbs.

6. I’ve said it before I’ll say it again, Mack Strong needs to be on that ring of honor one day. I’ll make it my mission.

7. Jasonfred – you’re exactly right. The “death of the fullback” is not so much a death as it is about the position morphing into a form of TE. The roles are very similar. Basically it’s the H-back.

8. martygivens says:

John L. was awesome – I wish he could give Shaun just a little of his pass catching ability.

Mack has been a highlight to this young season – keep on jumping baby!

9. kgaffney says:

My vague memory is that the TE played big in the 80s with Kellen Winslow, Todd Christenson, and Ozzie Newsome. There was also the success of the one-back, two TE offense of the Redskins reducing the role of the fullback. While that article with Bill Parcells talks about Detroit, it’s the Redskins and Joe Gibbs that come to my mind when I think two TE offense.

10. nighthawk2 says:

I’ve never seen a TE lead block like Mack Strong does. They day a team decides it can do without a lead blocker for it’s “feature” back is the day the “feature” back goes by the wayside.

11. dilbert65 says:

What about the FB lining up in the twin TE set? Some teams do this.

We forget about TEs like Chmura and Sharpe.