* For the second time this week, the No. 2 Federal Way boys went down. This time it was to cross-town rival Beamer, which rode the inside play of Bogdon Bliznyuk (18 points, 12 rebounds) for a 50-48 SPSL South victory at home.
The Titans trailed by 15 points in the second half, but Bliznyuk brought them back – and gave them the late lead, 50-48, from the free-throw line with 3.3 seconds to go. Federal Way did not get a good look at a game-winning shot as time expired.
* Chandler Whalen poured in 13 points, and Puyallup won its always-important SPSL South rivalry game with Rogers, 53-31. The Vikings have now won four of their past five games.
* Harold Lee and Leo Paul led Auburn with 12 points apiece, but it was J.J. Ruffin’s two free throws in the final seconds that lifted the Trojans to a 53-52 SPSL over Mount Rainier in SPSL North boys’ basketball action.
Auburn has won five games in a row, and sits atop the division.
* Top-ranked Lincoln had no trouble at home Friday, walloping Shelton, 74-29, in Narrows 3A boys basketball action in Tacoma. Ahmaad Rorie led the Abes with 21 points, and Tre’Shaun Fletcher added 15.
* Claire Martin scored six of her eight points, and Sydney Swofford sank two 3-pointers in Bellarmine Prep’s 20-6 second-quarter scoring explosion, and the Lions maintained their stranglehold of the Narrows 4A girls basketball lead with a 55-42 victory over Olympia in Tacoma.
* Anushka Maldanado tallied 23 points, and Yelm won a Narrows 4A girls basketball game on the road – 59-41 over South Kitsap in Port Orchard.