Here’s the story written by myself and education reporter Debbie Cafazzo that ran in Friday’s paper.
Here’s video from Thursday’s news conference.
And here are some nuggets that didn’t make it into the story:
Kitna has already put together some pieces of a coaching staff. Here
– Eric Boles, a 1988 Foss graduate who played receiver at CWU when Kitna was there and later in the NFL.
– Tony Brooks, a 1990 Mount Tahoma graduate who played receiver at EWU and in the Canadian Football League
– Evan Brady, an honorable mention all-American linebacker at EWU in 1994
– Kitna’s brother Matt and father Martin will also be on staff.
– Casey Kjos will be strength and conditioning coach. He played at Oregon State and was adopted by Kitna and his wife Jennifer.
“This is the beginning of our staff,” he said. “We will continue to see what we add in the future.”
Many have asked if Lawyer Milloy, another Lincoln High alumn with extensive NFL experience, will be involved with the program. Kitna said he’s talked with Milloy about the possibility.
“As I told Lawyer, he’s welcome to be involved in whatever capacity he wants to, from nothing to as much as he wants,” Kitna said. “That’s how much he’s welcome around here, that’s how much I respect him.”
Kitna said one of the first things he plans to do in the fall is to have Milloy’s jersey retired.