I ventured out to watch the scrimmages at the University of Puget Sound football team camp on Wednesday and shot some video. I saw the following teams scrimmage: Arlington, Auburn Riverside, Bonney Lake, Curtis, Enumclaw, Gig Harbor, Skyline, Tahoma and Timberline.
A few quick observations:
1. Skyline quarterback Max Browne looked very good. Spartans coach Mat Taylor said Browne, a highly-recruited junior, is progressing and playing even better than last year. To put that in perspective, Browne threw for 4,182 yards, 50 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in 2010.
The Spartans defense shined, too, coming up with a few picks. And Skyline’s new helmets are pretty sweet-looking. The Spartans have ditched the green helmets in favor of ones that can best be described as “primer gray.”
2. Bonney Lake was very impressive. Quarterback Chris Brown was sharp and, more importantly, his line gave him plenty of time to throw. The Panthers’ defense came up with some nice stops.
3. After seeing Timberline play well — and coupled with the fact that Capital graduated a ton of starters — the Blazers are probably the favorite in the Narrows League 3A.
5. Gig Harbor flashed some big-play potential, as did Arlington.
4. The high school football seasons starts four weeks from today.