The Class 4A state draw begings at 3 p.m. and the 1A draw is at 1 p.m. I’ll be at the draw in Renton and will post the brackets as soon as they are determined.
In the meantime, I pulled the draw procedure from the WIAA Web site:
The total tournament first round bracket includes games 1-8. The top half bracket includes games 1-4, the bottom half bracket includes games 5-8. The quarter brackets are as
follows: games 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8.
A modified allocation formula will be followed to determine the #1 teams, with each WIAA District guaranteed a #1 team if that District is allocated at least one (1) team. If Districts elect to combine forqualification purposes, each District will still receive a #1 team. Districts that combine during the regular season would be considered a single District and would receive only one #1 team.
1. The "true" #1 teams from each WIAA District will be drawn first to determine in which half bracket they will be drawn, with an equal number of "true" #1 teams in each half bracket when possible.
1a. The first draw will be to determine into which half bracket, top or bottom half, the first "true" #1 team shall be drawn.
1b. The district with the most #1 teams shall be drawn first, followed in succession by the districts with fewer #1 teams.
1c. The "true" #1 teams shall be drawn into half brackets, alternating top then bottom, or bottom then top, until all "true" #1 teams have been drawn.
1d. As each "true" #1 team is drawn into the top or bottom half bracket, the #2 team from that district will be placed into the opposite half bracket.
1.d.1. With three (3) allocations, the #3 team may be drawn into either half bracket.
1.d.2. With four (4) or more allocations, #1 and #4 will be drawn into the same half bracket; #2 and #3 will be drawn into the same half bracket; any additional allocations may be drawn into either half bracket with an even number, if possible, into each half bracket.
1.d.3. When a District has three (3) or more allocations, they will be drawn into separate quarter brackets if possible.
2. The "true" #1 teams shall be drawn to determine the home team for Games 1-4 and then Games 5-8.
2a. If there are four (4) or fewer "true" #1 teams, they will be drawn into different quarter brackets.
3. Since there are fewer than eight (8) "true" #1 teams, a modified allocation formula will be applied to determine the additional #1 teams. The modified allocation formula will be based upon the number of schools participating in each District/combined District.
3a. The additional #1 teams will then be drawn to fill in as the home team for Games 1-4 and then Games 5-8.
4. The remaining teams will then be drawn as the visiting teams for Games 1-8.
5. No two (2) teams from the same District shall play against each other in the first round.