Pierce County is preparing to borrow $24.3 million to pay for road construction in Frederickson and the Gig Harbor area.
The County Council’s rules committee approved plans to borrow the money on Monday. The full council is expected to follow suit next month.
The county plans to borrow the money to pay for several projects:
• Widening 176th Street East to five lanes from Waller Road to 51st Avenue East.
• Widening Canyon Road to six lanes from 172nd Street East to 160th Street East.
• Widening Wollochet Drive Northwest to up to five lanes from 40th Street Northwest to East Bay Drive Northwest.
• Replacing the 176th Street bridge over the railroad tracks between 51st and Canyon.
• The county also will use some of the money for engineering and right of way acquisition costs for widening 176th from Waller Road to B Street.