Here are excerpts of press-pool reports from today’s reception at a Lake Washington home to raise money for the president’s re-election campaign. Obama was to attend a larger fundraiser later at Seattle’s Paramount Theatre. It’s part of a West Coat swing a day after Obama announced his support for same-sex marriage.
- Worked rope line w a few dozen well wishers, incl a little girl who named her goldfish after him. Motorcade got rolling after few minutes – headed north on I5 for 1st fundraiser at home of Ann & Blume
- Sign near Blume house held by infant & mom: “Thank you Mr President for standing up for my Mommys!”
- We’re inside Blume home – right on Lake Washington, but this being Seattle, they have a chicken coop near the garage – about 70 ppl here for reception
- President spoke to small room of donors, mostly white, introduced by Blumes
- Pres spoke for 11 minutes – he did not mention gay marriage- instead the Pres gave a standard campaign pitch about getting economy back on track and ensuring all Americans have opportunities he had – college access etc (check WH for transcript) Pres contrasted his plan w GOP “narrow vision” that says “if I’m doing well it’s up to everyone else to figure out their own way”
- Pres spoke w casual tone standing w mic in small room. In nearby catering kitchen several workers stood by wearing identical blouses. Room had view of Lake Washington & the Bellevue skyline.
- The Blume residence is fabulous – records show property was previously owned by Canada for consulate or embassy.