You can read the full story in today’s paper, but here’s a quick overview of the projects to be funded after the Tacoma City Council gave informal, tentative approval Tuesday.
- $1.5 million for public works as part of the ongoing renovation of Hillside Terrace public housing in the Hilltop area.
- $1.7 million to match other money for renovation of the closed People’s Pool, also in Hilltop.
- $6 million already slated by the council to buy a three-quarters-of-a-mile walkway along Commencement Bay from developer Point Ruston LLC.
- $400,000 for a walkway along the Tacoma Art Museum and across Pacific Avenue.
- $1.7 million for repairs at the Broadway Center for the Performing Arts theaters, including heating, cooling and fire-safety systems, an orchestra pit and a cat walk.
- $1.8 million to match other funds for the Tacoma Avenue Bridge, which has to be repaired or closed.
The money would be redirected from abandoned projects to build parking next to the Tacoma Dome and a library near Salishan, and from unused money from environmental cleanup and downtown parking meters.