The Tacoma City Council plans to interview finalists for city manager Dec. 9 and 10 and vote Dec. 13.
The decision would come before at least one new council member takes office, but after voters make their choice Nov. 8. Council members said they would include the incoming member in their deliberations, and their lawyers say that’s allowed.
Here’s the tentative schedule discussed at a council Committee of the Whole meeting Tuesday:
- Oct. 21: Application period closes (Go here to apply for the job, which pays $183,000-$235,000.)
- Oct. 22-Nov. 21: Candidates screened by contract headhunter Colin Baenziger & Associates of Wellington, Fla.
- Nov. 22: Council’s Performance Review Committee narrows candidates down to about seven or eight, whose identities will be kept secret.
- Nov. 29: Council narrows candidates down to three or four finalists, whose names will be public.
- Dec. 7: Finalists arrive in Tacoma.
- Dec. 8: Candidates have Q&A sessions with city employees, community groups and the news media and take part in a televised forum.
- Dec. 9-10: Candidates take a bus tour of the city and do interviews with council members.
- Dec. 12: Council goes into closed session to pick a top candidate.
- Dec. 13: Council hires city manager at its regular meeting.