Political Buzz

Talking WA politics.

NOTICE: Political Buzz has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Political Buzz.
Visit the new section.

Nonprofit board member and finance director running for assessor-treasurer

Post by Steve Maynard / The News Tribune on July 13, 2011 at 12:36 pm with 8 Comments »
July 13, 2011 1:29 pm

Corrigan Gommenginger, a Tacoma resident who has been serving of boards of nonprofit community organizations for eight years, announced today he is running for Pierce County assessor-treasurer.

“With America’s economy lagging I felt that it was my time to step up and assist the residents of Pierce County,” Gommenginger said in a news release. “I want to champion tax relief to help our families in the homes they have worked so hard to buy.”

Gommenginger said he also wants to provide tax incentives for businesses to create living-wage jobs. He said the assessor-treasurer’s office can “do more with less.”

Gommenginger, 26, said he works as director of finance for a Tacoma nonprofit community organization. He declined to disclose who he works for at his employer’s request.

Gommenginger has managed finances for NARAL, Ruth Dykeman Children’s Center, Navos and BlueHead Publishing.

Pierce County Councilman Tim Farrell also has announced his candidacy for the assessor-treasurer’s office. The election is scheduled for November 2012.

Dale Washam, the current assessor-treasurer, is the subject of a recall petition campaign.

For more information on Gommenginger, visit www.voteforcorrigan.com.

1. pumaintacoma says:

“He declined to disclose who he works for at his employer’s request.”

I never heard of any legitimate organization not wanting to disclose where a candidate works. Doesn’t the organization have a government, or public relations person?

My guess is he is unemployed. Way to begin a campaign of transparency.

2. •Director of Administration at NARAL Pro-Choice Washington
    via the internet.

3. I requested a meeting with Corrigan shortly after he announced his candidacy. I do this with most candidates who may end up representing me. He met with a fellow Midlandite and myself last week in my community, and spent over an hour answering our many questions and sharing information on how he would run the A-T office, if elected.

I asked him who he worked for, and he quickly answered me. I didn’t ask why he chose not to say it in his press release, since I assumed it was related to the restrictions on non-profits endorsing candidates.

If you’re interested in getting to know him, ‘d suggest giving him a call and ask for a meeting. His number is listed in his website (linked in the article).

4. Tacoma_Bourne says:

Corrigan could very much be the Democratic candidate for this race. Compentent, smart and has a background in finance.

He should be taken very seriously.

5. Point_Defiance_Guy says:

I was excited to hear that Corrigan was running, considering the opponent Tim Farrell’s recently stated lack of concern about the citizens he has represented (http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/06/28/1724838/redistricting-shuffles-pierce.html).

As of yet, Corrigan is the only candidate who has any real world experience, and lots of it. He has the bona fide experience necessary for the actual job, which seems to be sorely lacking in so many candidates these days.

The next Assessor-Treasurer is going to need to understand how to clean up messes (cough) Washam (cough) which is exactly what Corrigan has been doing for the majority of his professional career. Every place he goes, he brings stability and growth on stretched budgets, which is why he continues to be so sought after by organizations in the area.

As far as the note about his current non-profit’s non-disclosure, anybody with half a brain would understand that non-profits cannot endorse political candidates. The fact that Corrigan is being attentive to their request is a sign of professionalism and good character in my book.

Thank goodness we have a candidate with some strong real world experience to vote for in this race.

6. DickWMuri says:

Corrigan attended our June 23rd South Sound Ronald Reagan Republican Club meeting and was very polite to everyone and inquisitive about issues of concern for Pierce County. My guess is we will have many candidates for this office between now and filing in June 2012. My first impression of Corrigan was very positive and I look forward to getting to know him and other candidates who may announce and/or file by June 2012.

7. PoliSciGirl says:

I’ve worked alongside Corrigan, and he’s a truly motivated individual. I was really impressed by all that he has achieved–he’s a force to be reckoned with! He’s got a unique viewpoint that I think will work really well for him in office. I’m so glad he’s running!

8. PumainTacoma says:

If he’s so wonderful then why not talk about his job. Words mean nothing what the heck makes him best? I am happy with my reduced taxes. Sounds like another person wanting a government job for the wrong reasons.