Now posted in our SoundInfo section is 2010 pay information for King County. To access the database of county employee salaries click here.
I found a few interesting nuggets in the data for the organization, which has more than 16,000 employees providing everything from animal control to public health to law enforcement to transit services. Among them:
• The top paid employee for King County, somewhat predictably, was Public Health Director David Fleming, who made $263,077 last year. Among those in the top 25 highest paid, 14 were Department of Public Health employees.
• No. 2 was more of a surprise: Sheriff’s Deputy Michael Miner took in $226,756, though his hourly rate was $38.50 or about $80,000 a year straight time. He was one of five deputies to earn more than Sheriff Sue Rahr’s $160,497 and one of nearly 200 department employees to earn six figures. Overtime in the King County Sheriff’s Office has been an ongoing issue as reported here and here.
• County Executive Dow Constantine was the highest paid among elected officials at $196,675. Others were Prosecuting Attorney Dan Satterberg ($162,489), Rahr, Elections Director Sherril Huff ($154,138), Assessor Lloyd Hara ($150,950), District Court judges (who earned about $140,000) and County Council members, who were paid from $115,558 to $131,421.
• Running some raw averages, here’s what folks in various job titles made: Electrician II ($81,036), Corrections Officer ($73,378), Human Resource Analyst ($64,570), IT Project Manager II ($68,581), Mechanic ($68,617), Nutritionist I ($37,499), Deputy ($95,863), Accountant ($64,074), Transit Operator (48,489), Animal Control Officer ($43,459).
• 1,825 out of 16,700-some employees made more than $100,000 last year.
Below is the list of the top 25 highest paid employees in the county.
|Name||Job title||Department||Hourly rate||2010 Earnings|
|David Fleming||Director, Public Health||Public Health||$128.40||$263,077|
|Michael Miner||Police Officer (Deputy)||Sheriff's Office||$38.50||$226,756|
|Manuel Ovena||IT Project Executive Director||Executive Services||$96.60||$225,381|
|Richard Harruff||Medical Officer||Public Health||$98.92||$216,645|
|Charissa Fotinos||Medical Officer||Public Health||$96.60||$200,101|
|James Constantine||County Executive||Executive's Office||$94.89||$196,675|
|Jeffrey Duchin||Disease Control Officer||Public Health||$89.97||$194,464|
|Masahiro Narita||Disease Control Officer||Public Health||$89.97||$193,858|
|Roger Higgs||Jail Health Physician||Public Health||$83.79||$192,642|
|Aldo Fusaro||Disease Control Officer||Public Health||$89.97||$191,707|
|Robert Lovell||Psychiatrist||Public Health||$87.86||$191,668|
|Brian Waiblinger||Managing Psychiatrist||Public Health||$92.12||$188,875|
|John Rose||Psychiatrist||Public Health||$87.86||$187,491|
|Edward Christian||Police Officer (Deputy)||Sheriff's Office||$38.50||$187,182|
|Brian Mazrim||Disease Control Officer||Public Health||$89.97||$182,578|
|Kevin Desmond||Div Director, Transit||Transportation||$87.98||$182,474|
|Benjamin Sanders||Medical Officer||Public Health||$89.97||$179,673|
|James Krieger||Disease Control Officer||Public Health||$89.97||$176,282|
|Steven Lange||Jail Health Physician||Public Health||$83.79||$175,409|
|Gary Zornes||Police Officer (Deputy)||Sheriff's Office||$38.50||$174,430|
|Deborah Nanson||Personal Hlth Svcs Supv - Jail||Public Health||$59.00||$170,055|
|Harold Taniguchi||Director, Transportation||Transportation||$79.91||$169,737|
|Barbara Vallor||Police Officer (Deputy)||Sheriff's Office||$38.50||$168,753|
|Randal Potter||Police Officer (Deputy)||Sheriff's Office||$38.50||$168,320|
|Fred Jarrett||Asst. County Exec. Oper. II||Executive's Office||$81.82||$168,120|